Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    The last polls of Round 1 have been posted! Thank you all so much for such an excellent level of participation and engagement! That's what makes this all worth it, the debate and discussion, hopefully not too heated. True, some of my favorites have already fallen off, but this is not my tournament, it's ours.

Quick housekeeping note, I'll be away on a work trip next week from Monday through Wednesday or Thursday, so probably won't be able to post the usual poll closings and such, so apologies for that, I'll get to it if I can or as soon as I'm back, and I'm very much hoping we avoid any ties since I won't be able to post any tiebreakers till I get back, and posting them later would screw with our schedule!
    Unacceptable.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And so our Round 1 of the 1980s is effectively over (we do still have a couple of tiebreakers going)! This has been exciting so far and fairly unpredictable. I'm still not sure if there are any front-runners. A case could be made for like a dozen movies, and that's great. Round 2 starts Monday!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And here are the standings after the first round:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Country
    Country Flag

And now standings after two rounds:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Round 3 starts on Monday!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would have expected Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes Back to be polling much higher than they are.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Crazy to think that films in the %60s may be still in while some in the %80s are out. Luck of the draw I guess.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Wednesday is the new Monday. BLAH!
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

The last groups of Round 3 have been posted! I want to as always thank everyone for your continued great involvement and constant voting! In this weird and scary time we need a distraction, and what better way to do it than spending a few minutes selecting the very ultimate movies in cinematic history!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The last groups of Round 3 have been posted! I want to as always thank everyone for your continued great involvement and constant voting! In this weird and scary time we need a distraction, and what better way to do it than spending a few minutes selecting the very ultimate movies in cinematic history!
    I agree - this is a much needed distraction.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    +10

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    +10
    "See. The numbers all go to 11. So it's ONE louder."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    +10
    "See. The numbers all go to 11. So it's ONE louder."
    NICE! (even though it's been eliminated)

Country
    Country Flag

Round 3 is now done and here are our standings through three rounds:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Round 4 begins on Monday!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Amadeus and Raging Bull eliminated? I'm done.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Amadeus and Raging Bull eliminated? I'm done.
    Ragin Bull I’m happy is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Raging Bull is Scorsese's best film, even if it isn't my favourite.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

My biggest disappointment is Fast times at Ridgemont high being eliminated.

Don't have any stats to back it, but it seems like comedies doing much better in the 80's then other decades so far.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Goodfellas is Scorsese's best film, even if it isn't my favourite.
    Fixed it for you.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Fixed it for you.

It didn't need fixing. Raging Bull is utterly fantastic.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Don't have any stats to back it, but it seems like comedies doing much better in the 80's then other decades so far.
    Did someone say stats? Why, that's what I do!

What is an isn't a comedy obviously varies from person to person, but of the 64 movies in Round 4 for the 1980s we have 28 movies (close to half) I'd term as comedies:
    1. Back to the Future
    2. Ghostbusters
    3. Beetlejuice
    4. Gremlins
    5. The Breakfast Club
    6. The Goonies
    7. Beverly Hills Cop
    8. Back to the Future Part II
    9. Airplane!
    10. Lethal Weapon
    11. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    12. The Princess Bride
    13. Big Trouble in Little China
    14. Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    15. A Christmas Story
    16. Coming to America
    17. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
    18. An American Werewolf in London
    19. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    20. Spaceballs
    21. Caddyshack
    22. Trading Places
    23. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    24. National Lampoon's Vacation
    25. Lethal Weapon 2
    26. 48 Hrs.
    27. Good Morning, Vietnam
    28. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

For the 2000s we had 11: Finding Nemo, Zombieland, Up, Monsters, Inc., Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, The Incredibles, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Juno, The Hangover, and Inglourious Basterds.

And for the 1990s we had 17: A League of Their Own, There's Something About Mary, Toy Story 2, Scream, The Truman Show, True Lies, Back to the Future Part III, Groundhog Day, Being John Malkovich, Mrs. Doubtfire, Toy Story, The Big Lebowski, American Pie, Wayne's World, Pulp Fiction, Dogma, and Fargo.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you're stretching to fit a bunch of those in the comedy genre but I understand where you're coming from.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mae, I KNOW THIS IS A BIG order... but where we are all home, sad and bored... think we could start the next tourney soon? It keeps me busy.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Mae, I KNOW THIS IS A BIG order... but where we are all home, sad and bored... think we could start the next tourney soon? It keeps me busy.
    Sure, same here! Well, the plan has always been to end one decade and do the next one with a short break of about a month or so. Take a look at the first post of this thread for a rough schedule of all ten decades I intend to run. The 1980s tournament will end on June 1. We will then take a break and start the nominating process for the 2010s tournament sometime in early July I imagine for the voting to begin in late July or early August.

Country
    Country Flag

ok
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Fixed it for you.

It didn't need fixing. Raging Bull is utterly fantastic.
    Shh shh shh, here, drink your whiskey. You know how upset you get when you don't have your whiskey.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast