Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1435

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

seen 24 of those going on, saw 9 of the eliminated (including 5 I watched in last 2 months)

(4 more movies moving on are in my watchlists)
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey everyone! Round 3 is done and we're all set to start Round 4 on Monday! I hope there won't be any delays, as we will have two tiebreakers going until Tuesday. We'll see. Thanks as always for your great participation!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I have seen 7 of the 8 movies to vote on today (and the 8th is on my DVR to watch later). Really surprised at the ratio. Now watch tomorrow I will by 1 for 8.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And here are the standings after three rounds:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Interesting to note that heading into Round 4, Hitchcock has the top two spots and Leone has the next two spots in the top five, so they both account for four of the top five movies (Leone has another at 26). Also, Kubrick has two spots in the top ten, and another one at #12. Sturges has two in the top 20 and Edwards with two in the top 25.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Some damn good films in that Top 10.

Country
    Country Flag

Round 4 is now over, and we're onto our Octofinals next week! Some very tough decisions will need to be made...

Moving on:
    1. Psycho 350.56%
    2. Planet of the Apes 344.80%
    3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 340.60%
    4. The Birds 339.16%
    5. 2001: A Space Odyssey 337.73%
    6. The Great Escape 334.79%
    7. Dr. Strangelove 319.64%
    8. Goldfinger 317.38%
    9. To Kill a Mockingbird 309.25%
    10. Night of the Living Dead 298.21%
    11. Bullitt 296.03%
    12. Spartacus 292.06%
    13. Lawrence of Arabia 290.95%
    14. Rosemary's Baby 290.93%
    15. Bonnie and Clyde 271.66%
    16. The Graduate 260.16%

Eliminated:
    1. A Fistful of Dollars 307.36%
    2. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 241.01%
    3. The Manchurian Candidate 240.96%
    4. The Magnificent Seven 236.17%
    5. The Pink Panther 223.42%
    6. True Grit 218.58%
    7. For a Few Dollars More 216.98%
    8. From Russia with Love 213.89%
    9. Easy Rider 212.23%
    10. Cool Hand Luke 210.78%
    11. Breakfast at Tiffany's 207.06%
    12. Jason and the Argonauts 204.82%
    13. In the Heat of the Night 200.46%
    14. The Wild Bunch 196.36%
    15. Mary Poppins 195.87%
    16. The Time Machine 185.90%

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh look, Psycho is in first place. Didn't see that coming... LOL!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Oh look, Psycho is in first place. Didn't see that coming... LOL!
    To be fair, Psycho was in second place after Round 2. It's not a done deal it will win. But even if it does, a) it was in out Best Horror Film final so we know it's hugely popular, and b) as I always stress, this is just as much about the rest of the list as it's about what's at number one.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Round 4 is now over, and we're onto our Octofinals next week! Some very tough decisions will need to be made...

Moving on:
    1. Psycho 350.56%
    2. Planet of the Apes 344.80%
    3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 340.60%
    4. The Birds 339.16%
    5. 2001: A Space Odyssey 337.73%
    6. The Great Escape 334.79%
    7. Dr. Strangelove 319.64%
    8. Goldfinger 317.38%
    9. To Kill a Mockingbird 309.25%
    10. Night of the Living Dead 298.21%
    11. Bullitt 296.03%
    12. Spartacus 292.06%
    13. Lawrence of Arabia 290.95%
    14. Rosemary's Baby 290.93%
    15. Bonnie and Clyde 271.66%
    16. The Graduate 260.16%
    That is a solid final 16! Looking forward to the play offs.

Country
    Country Flag

And we're down to just eight movies! Quarterfinals go up on Monday!

Moving on:
    1. Psycho 432.38%
    2. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 426.96%
    3. The Birds 420.11%
    4. 2001: A Space Odyssey 413.92%
    5. Planet of the Apes 405.67%
    6. Dr. Strangelove 384.64%
    7. Goldfinger 378.25%
    8. Rosemary's Baby 347.45%

Eliminated:
    1. The Great Escape 378.27%
    2. Night of the Living Dead 337.34%
    3. To Kill a Mockingbird 327.43%
    4. Lawrence of Arabia 314.76%
    5. Spartacus 311.11%
    6. Bullitt 309.67%
    7. Bonnie and Clyde 306.66%
    8. The Graduate 299.29%

Thank you all for your continued participation, we're very close to the end now. Soon it will be time to think about going back to the 1950s!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm, interesting, I have just reviewed the elite 8 entries for each of the decades we have done. Here is the breakdown of how many I have seen. In () is the number of them I own on disc.

60's 6/8 (4)
    70's 7/8 (6)
    80's 8/8 (7)
    90's 7/8 (3)
    00's 6/8 (4)
    10's 3/8 (0)

Really surprised that the 10's is the decade that I seemed to disagree with the pack the most. Of the 5 I haven't seen, I don't have an interest in seeing, and of the 3 I have don't care to see again.

Prior to the 60's the only movies on disk I would have are 1) Hitchcock, 2) early godzilla, 3) Universal monster movies
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Hey everyone! The quarterfinals are now up and we're in the final stretches! Interestingly enough, the semifinals could end up with two Hitchcocks and two Kubricks. If that happens, I wonder what would be more interesting, one against the other, or first against themselves.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Hey everyone! The quarterfinals are now up and we're in the final stretches! Interestingly enough, the semifinals could end up with two Hitchcocks and two Kubricks. If that happens, I wonder what would be more interesting, one against the other, or first against themselves.
    I hope it never comes to this.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm rooting for both Psycho and The Birds to make it to the finals.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll be coo with any combination of Psycho, GoodBadUgly, and 2001.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, here we are, the last four. We finally have a Hitch vs. Hitch situation, so one Hitchcock is guaranteed a spot in the finals, and thus one of the top two slots in our overall ranking.

Moving on:
    1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 499.69%
    2. Psycho 495.34%
    3. 2001: A Space Odyssey 493.92%
    4. The Birds 483.75%

Eliminated:
    1. Planet of the Apes 442.71%
    2. Goldfinger 414.61%
    3. Dr. Strangelove 411.91%
    4. Rosemary's Baby 367.45%

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a damn good final 4!

Country
    Country Flag

And so the 1960s Final is here! Thank you to everyone who participated, nominated, voted, and commented! We have been doing this for almost three years now, can you believe it? A lot has happened in those years, not all of it good, but this tournament has always been a comfort to me, something to keep me going. So I hope everyone takes a good well-deserved break from voting once the final poll closes, and then start thinking about the 1950s, which is our next decade! It has some of the absolute best movies of all time. Can't wait!

Moving on:
    1. Psycho 563.52%
    2. 2001: A Space Odyssey 553.01%

Eliminated:
    1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 540.60%
    2. The Birds 515.57%

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Thank you once again, Mae. You do a wonderful job with these tournaments. Much appreciated!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

This was a lot of fun. Looking forward to the final, and then the 50's.

Country
    Country Flag

We are here once again, at the end. Our sixth winner has just been crowned! I'm sorry it ended up in a bit of a controversial call, but that's just how it goes sometimes, and it just means we had two wonderful picks for the best movie of the 1960s and we made the right choices along the way.

Thank you all for your diligent voting and participation! We only have four more decades to go, starting with our next one: the 1950s. I'll post some food-for-thought links as usual a little later, giving everyone a chance to take in the winner. And also take some well-deserved rest from the polls.

But after the holidays we'll start our nomination process, so it's a god idea to sometime soon start thinking about what films you'd like to nominate. I know there might be less of us taking part going further with these classic decades, but the 1950s had some absolute all-time classics (as did the 1940s, 1930s, and 1920s). So my hope is that a core group will continue to see this through to the end. As I had mentioned before, after we do all ten decades with the scheduled amount of picks, we will end up with a list of the best 2,000 movies of the last 100 years, from 1920 to 2019. I mean, you can't find a more comprehensive list, I bet!

Country
    Country Flag

And here is the overall 1 through 192 ranked list for the 1960s according to our membership:

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Ikiru, Kurosawa's finest film.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll take The Seven Samurai

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast