Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

So how many of the 20 MCU films will make the list do ya think?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    The 2010s will have the most for me to nominate, I think.
    I thought that too. But then I started going through them and didn't come up with a list as long as I had expected. There are a lot of movies that I watched and thought were OK, but I'm not sure if I actually want to nominate them or not.

Between the Marvel movies, the X-men movies, the Star Wars movies and the DC movies, I think that'll probably be half the noms right there.

I tried to pick out only the ones in that group that I really liked but I'm guessing pretty much all of them will be nominated eventually. The Hobbit trilogy and the entire Hunger Games franchise will probably be in there too.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't go that far, but I can certainly see myself nominating or seconding quite a few Marvel and DC movies. But definitely not all or even most. For DC, for example, I'd really only look to The Man of Steel and Wonder Woman.

In this thread we've had some good discussions and lists posted for the best of the 2010s: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...ade-(2010-2019) Y'all can get started on making your lists now

When the nominations thread goes up next month I'll also provide the usual "food for thought" links there.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

So that's the next section 2010-2019? And Aliens won the last one. Good choice. I guess I better get started on my list.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, but I can certainly see myself nominating or seconding quite a few Marvel and DC movies. But definitely not all or even most. For DC, for example, I'd really only look to The Man of Steel and Wonder Woman.

In this thread we've had some good discussions and lists posted for the best of the 2010s: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...ade-(2010-2019) Y'all can get started on making your lists now

When the nominations thread goes up next month I'll also provide the usual "food for thought" links there.
    Mae... could we do more movies? I know you said 320 BUT it is my fav overall decade I think. My fav movies of all time are not in this decade as I find they are nostalgia laced ones from my past. Could you do 400-500? Is that too much? When is the start of the noms as well? This is the decade I am most excited for AND have no clue who will win.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We talked about the structure and the number of nominations for the 2010s a while back, probably in this thread. The idea was to do more movies but keep the structure the same. So Round 1 will still be 32 groups with the top six movies moving on to Round 2. Except this time instead of eight movies per group we will have ten. So, top six move on, bottom four are eliminated. I think it's a good balance. I tried different ways of restructuring the groups and the flow of the tournament rounds, but I feel like what we have right now is pretty much perfect.

Round 1 can be increased to 12 movies per group, with the top half moving on and the bottom half eliminated. That's 384 movies. The maximum number of poll items is 15, and that would bring up the total number of nominations to 480. But honestly, I believe that's overkill. All these extra movies will still be eliminated after the first round.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We talked about the structure and the number of nominations for the 2010s a while back, probably in this thread. The idea was to do more movies but keep the structure the same. So Round 1 will still be 32 groups with the top six movies moving on to Round 2. Except this time instead of eight movies per group we will have ten. So, top six move on, bottom four are eliminated. I think it's a good balance. I tried different ways of restructuring the groups and the flow of the tournament rounds, but I feel like what we have right now is pretty much perfect.

Round 1 can be increased to 12 movies per group, with the top half moving on and the bottom half eliminated. That's 384 movies. The maximum number of poll items is 15, and that would bring up the total number of nominations to 480. But honestly, I believe that's overkill. All these extra movies will still be eliminated after the first round.
    Ok thanks Mae. When does it begin?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

We're taking June off. I was thinking the nominations thread for the 2010s will go up on Monday, July 6. In the past we have been able to go through the nomination process in about two weeks. To keep to the same sort of schedule, I was hoping we could begin the tournament on Monday, July 27. This would give us the same flow as the 2000s tournament last year, which started on July 29 and the Final poll was November 25. I would be reluctant to push it much further, since we're getting into the holiday season then.

I anticipate the nominations will be coming in fast, since this past decade is still very fresh in our minds. But I don't think increasing the limits, however, is necessary this time, since we have more slots available for movies, and everyone should be able to get in many of their picks in. So we should be able to go back to a waiting period of three for nominations and one for seconds, but I'm happy to discuss that further.

If people would like more time to catch up with some of the nominees, we can certainly start the nominations sooner by a week or two if need be, but folks also don't need to wait until the final list is settled and can seek out movies as they're seconded, which gives us three weeks. I know, not a lot, but this also can't be a long process, if we need to finish up before Christmas.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Between the Marvel movies, the X-men movies, the Star Wars movies and the DC movies, I think that'll probably be half the noms right there.
    I have a feeling this will happen, but I really do hope this doesn't turn into a superhero movie contest. I can't stand those films.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I have a feeling this will happen, but I really do hope this doesn't turn into a superhero movie contest. I can't stand those films.
    Heather, you wound me! You know I love the somber classics just as much as you do, but also as a geek girl I implore you to check out Wonder Woman and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. These two were the best superhero movies of the decade for me, and they're just plain amazing movies.

Country
    Country Flag

Can't stand? Oh really? I think some are really well done with great stories, laughter and just plain popcorn fun What movies are about I think
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm sorry Mae! I really should watch Wonder Woman, maybe before the competition starts I will Not sure I can make it through any others though. I did enjoy X-Men back in the day, but that was about it. They're just not my thing.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry Mae! I really should watch Wonder Woman, maybe before the competition starts I will Not sure I can make it through any others though. I did enjoy X-Men back in the day, but that was about it. They're just not my thing.
    Wonder Woman was my #1 movie of 2017, I was literally in a puddle of tears watching it in theaters. And I know you're a huge fan of animation like I am, and so Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is absolutely your jam, I would imagine. It's one of the best animated films, I dare say, of all time.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I have 14 movies my list so far and only 3 (so far) are superhero movies. I am sure that will increase but I know there are many non-super hero movies that will end up on my list anyway. But I will probably have a number of "action" movies.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Objectively speaking these are the MCU/DC movies that deserve to be thrown into the mix when discussing the best of the 2010s
    1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    2. Captain America: Civil War
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy
    4. Black Panther
    5. Infinity War
    6. End Game
    7. The Dark Knight Rises
    8. Wonder Woman

Country
    Country Flag

Since we're all starting to compile our lists already, here are some links that could help in that regard. Obviously, the 2010s decade just recently ended and the internet is full of end of decade lists. I'm sure you can find dozens upon dozens more. This is far from definitive but again, food for thought, and highly varied:

And also here I am shamelessly plugging my own Top 30 lists for each year, if anyone's curious (I'll be pretty much going off these for nominations):

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Objectively speaking these are the MCU/DC movies that deserve to be thrown into the mix when discussing the best of the 2010s
    4. Black Panther
    5. Infinity War
    6. End Game
    7. The Dark Knight Rises
    8. Wonder Woman
    Deadpool needs to be in there too.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Wonder Woman, but I'm tired of alien/world-ending/gigantic city-destroying threats/climaxes that they all have nowadays. That's one of the reasons I really appreciate Nolan's grounded take on Batman.

Also, are we saying that the noms for the 2010s arefrom movies released from 2010 to 2019?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Also, are we saying that the noms for the 2010s arefrom movies released from 2010 to 2019?
    Indeed, the initial premiere must have been between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2019.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    4. Black Panther
    5. Infinity War
    6. End Game
    7. The Dark Knight Rises
    8. Wonder Woman
    Replace Civil War with Guardians Vol 2 and I'd sign this indu order right now... no other marvel and DC movies allowed in lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Don't forget Logan.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I think Thor: Ragnarok is one the best comedies of the decade and would put it on the list as well.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG - overkills does not even describe it. People just need to be more judicious in the way they nominate. There is no way there are 500 great movies in the 2010s. That's 50 per year. Absurd.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I think these contests start off with too many movies as it is. No real complaints for the status quo, but certainly don't expand the list!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast