Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1435

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If I recall, and I'm going from memory here, the director of Manos had a camera that could hold 10 minutes of film at a time. Either he didn't realize he could use less than the full reel for a scene, or didn't want to waste film, or didn't know how to edit--but he tended to just film the full can once he started. That's why you get scenes of 10 minutes of a car driving (instead of, you know, actual plot), throughout the film.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well now I have to go watch this movie
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Please do! Here is the remastered edition and then the MST3K episode which remains one of the top five favorite episodes.

Manos

MST3K Manos

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Please do! Here is the remastered edition and then the MST3K episode which remains one of the top five favorite episodes.

Manos

MST3K Manos
    On another message board that no longer exists we dubbed the shortstop of our favorite baseball team Manos Hands of stone because he was constantly making errors. It was in reference to this movie.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My all-time favorite MST3K episode was The Day the Earth Froze. The one with the "Sampo." So many great riffs. I had it on VHS and it was a grad school staple for my buddies and me when we wanted to drink and laugh.

"They're roasting Bullwinkle!"

"...and practice slash-and-burn agriculture."

"Hey! No boat!"

Are you with the bride...or the FAILURE?"

I swear, I could list 20-30 quotes from memory--and the last time I watched this was 20 years ago.

And the short that went with it was also classic.

"Please tell me this isn't happening!"

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    My all-time favorite MST3K episode was The Day the Earth Froze. The one with the "Sampo." So many great riffs. I had it on VHS and it was a grad school staple for my buddies and me when we wanted to drink and laugh.

"They're roasting Bullwinkle!"

"...and practice slash-and-burn agriculture."

"Hey! No boat!"

Are you with the bride...or the FAILURE?"

I swear, I could list 20-30 quotes from memory--and the last time I watched this was 20 years ago.

And the short that went with it was also classic.

"Please tell me this isn't happening!"
    If you are so inclined, most of the episodes are on YouTube. The ones with Godzilla and some of the other Japanese monster flicks keep getting taken down due to copyright. And a few of the super early local ones are considered lost because no one can find copies of them.

Space Mutiny might be my favorite but I love 'em all! I would stay up to 2 in the morning to watch reruns on Comedy Central. Little did I know the internet was not far away and I can watch them when I want know. Oh well!

They are now Rifftrax and do a lot of new ones on their website and even live shows. Their next live show is in August and it's Hobgoblins.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just a little friendly reminder that voting will begin pretty soon, on August 2, the Monday after next. Has anyone used this down time to seek out any of the nominees, or planning to?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did Mae. I
    Tried a few and just can’t get into them. It’s the vibe or … man I don’t know. I seen a few but really am no help here
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Kris. Only a few are watchable.
    I was watching a western from the 60's today. It was unbearable, and so terribly cliched. After 20 minutes, I aborted and went to the local news.

Country
    Country Flag

Watch some Kurosawa. Sure, there are no killer robots or superheroes in search of magic rocks. But there is some great human drama. If only a "few" films from the '60s are "watchable," I'd say that speaks more to today's 30-second attention span phone addicted viewers than it does film quality. Sorry to be blunt, and I'm drunk off my ass. But take a film like Hara-kiri. I know; I know--the majority of the movie is a guy sitting on a mat telling a story. But I'd watch this 10 times over before most of the modern pabulum being foisted upon us as entertainment.

It's like the comments I see on the Netflix reviews. "I started watching but it was in black and white so I stopped. ZERO stars." Or, "no one told me it was subtitled. This movie sucks. I turned it off after 5 minutes."

I'll weep for humanity while I have another drink.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Watch some Kurosawa. Sure, there are no killer robots or superheroes in search of magic rocks. But there is some great human drama. If only a "few" films from the '60s are "watchable," I'd say that speaks more to today's 30-second attention span phone addicted viewers than it does film quality. Sorry to be blunt, and I'm drunk off my ass. But take a film like Hara-kiri. I know; I know--the majority of the movie is a guy sitting on a mat telling a story. But I'd watch this 10 times over before most of the modern pabulum being foisted upon us as entertainment.

It's like the comments I see on the Netflix reviews. "I started watching but it was in black and white so I stopped. ZERO stars." Or, "no one told me it was subtitled. This movie sucks. I turned it off after 5 minutes."

You weep for humanity BECAUSE they don't like what you do? Wow. That makes me sad. We all like and dislike different things. I prefer the newer style of movies and you prefer the old. It doesn't make either of us a better or smarter person... SO...I guess you can weep for me then
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

You weep for humanity BECAUSE they don't like what you do? Wow. That makes me sad. We all like and dislike different things. I prefer the newer style of movies and you prefer the old. It doesn't make either of us a better or smarter person... SO...I guess you can weep for me then
    You should give Kurosowa a try. Perhaps the subtitles will aid you - less of an American style of cinema vibe? I will say, though, that you are not alone in your preference. My guess is that as we venture farther back by decade we may lose more and more people.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And we are now one week away, very excited to get this underway!

Country
    Country Flag

Tomorrow!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for nurturing our poll-voting addiction once again, Mae.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    It's my pleasure! I hope everyone has their voting fingers ready and has fun! And checks out some of the nominees on streaming if they're not familiar! There are lots of great picks.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I've been addicted to polls for years!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Did anyone think about nominating Sidney Poitier's A Patch of Blue? I've never seen it, but I just picked up the laserdisc.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Did anyone think about nominating Sidney Poitier's A Patch of Blue? I've never seen it, but I just picked up the laserdisc.
    I had it on my list, yup. Very good film.

Country
    Country Flag

Today ends the first round of the 1960s, with one tiebreaker going until Monday, when Round 2 will begin!

Thank you to everyone for your continued diligent voting! I know the further back in time we go, the less folks we'll have along for the ride, and some of you have dropped off, but not that much. Previously we would average around 25-30 votes, and now we get around 17-22. Once we get to the final decade of the 1920s I suspect it will be single digits, but as long as we have meaningful input from everyone, I think it will be worthwhile.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking forward to the next round!

Country
    Country Flag

Here are the standings after the first round:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Psycho on 100%... LOL! This shit ain't even close!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm, I thought I had seen more, I counted 31 movies I had seen moved on, and only 2 were eliminated. (at least 6 were watched in last 12 months)

Several more are on my queues to see.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

And so Round 2 is done and Round 3 begins on Monday! Thanks to all of you for continuing to vote and discuss your votes, since that's the whole idea of this exercise! As always, this will get progressively harder as next round we again will need to decide which two out of the four in a group deserve to move on...

Here are the standings after two rounds:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast