Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament Announcement and Discussion

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Would it be okay to kick things off at 1pm ET and not 12pm ET? I have to pick up my wife from work at 5pm UK time (12pm ET) and won't be able to get online at that time.... I really don't want to miss the start of the nomination process.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely, I haven't even started preparing anything. You've got time. Would you be willing to use the Google Form like last time and I'll update the thread post, for nominations and seconds?

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Definitely, I haven't even started preparing anything. You've got time. Would you be willing to use the Google Form like last time and I'll update the thread post, for nominations and seconds?
    Yeah, I'm happy to do that for you pal!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sweet. Also, as I'm working out the tournament structure I'm thinking we should go with 256 nominations (as we did for Best Scene) as opposed to 200 we did previously for Best Comedy. The poll structure worked better with that number, I think:

256:
    • Round 1: 32 groups of 8 titles - top 6 move on
    • Round 2: 32 groups of 6 titles - top 4 move on
    • Round 3: 32 groups of 4 titles - top 2 move on
    • Round 4: 16 groups of 4 titles - top 2 move on
    • Round 5: 16 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on
    • Octofinals: 8 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on
    • Quarterfinals: 4 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on
    • Semifinals: 2 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on
    • Final: 1 group of 2 titles - top 1 is the winner

• Round 1: 20 groups of 10 titles - top 6 move on
    • Round 2: 15 groups of 8 titles - top 4 move on
    • Round 3: 12 groups of 5 titles - top 2 move on
    • Octofinals: 8 groups of 3 titles - top 1 moves on
    • Quarterfinals: 4 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on
    • Semifinals: 2 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on
    • Finals: 1 group of 2 titles - top 1 is the winner

Country
    Country Flag

256 nominations would definitely be more fun.

The 90's certainly have enough contenders to fill that number very easily; so with only 200 nominations, a lot of good films would be left out.

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, and once we go back to the older decades (especially the 1920s and '30s) then we can play with 200 or less).

Country
    Country Flag

Wild card entries of one nomination per member at the end, like last time?

No doubt the 256 will be filled and then we'll all remember a favourite we forgot to nominate.... That always happens.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I don't see why not, we'll see if we need it when we come to the end of the nomination process.

Country
    Country Flag

I managed to get back home from picking my wife up from work fairly quickly. I'm good to go when you guys are ready!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    I'm good to go when you guys are ready!
    We are live! Managed to do it on 1/11 at 1:11.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know this tournament and the others like it are great and lots of fun. You folks should also take a moment to realize that the only reason you can have these wonderful tournaments is because this site is here, running and available to everyone. So maybe, if it is within your means, take a moment to show your appreciation and help out with the substantial costs associated with keeping the site up and running for all to enjoy and make a donation to help out. If everyone contributed the equivilant of .50 cents a week, a mere $25 for the entire year, the site fees would be paid in full. Just a thought for all to consider.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ee-And-Vibrant

Help keep TDT.Org Up and Running and Ad free!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    You know this tournament and the others like it are great and lots of fun. You folks should also take a moment to realize that the only reason you can have these wonderful tournaments is because this site is here, running and available to everyone. So maybe, if it is within your means, take a moment to show your appreciation and help out with the substantial costs associated with keeping the site up and running for all to enjoy and make a donation to help out. If everyone contributed the equivilant of .50 cents a week, a mere $25 for the entire year, the site fees would be paid in full. Just a thought for all to consider.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ee-And-Vibrant

Help keep TDT.Org Up and Running and Ad free!!!!!
    Bill, can you post this on the tournament's main page? I think that should be enough to get the message across and it saves you the trouble of having to post it on every page.

Thank you.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Is there going to be a limit to the number of nominations and seconds a member can have this year?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Is there going to be a limit to the number of nominations and seconds a member can have this year?
    I don't think so, I don't recall us having a hard limit, but maybe I'm forgetting. As long as we keep to the set restrictions, everyone who wants to participate should get plenty of nominations in, and the process won't be done quickly, I think it will take a few days.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    You know this tournament and the others like it are great and lots of fun. You folks should also take a moment to realize that the only reason you can have these wonderful tournaments is because this site is here, running and available to everyone.
    Another way to think about it is that events like these add value to the site in of themselves. It's a lot of work and time spent putting on a tournament and the membership gets to participate and have a lot of fun.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think so, I don't recall us having a hard limit, but maybe I'm forgetting. As long as we keep to the set restrictions, everyone who wants to participate should get plenty of nominations in, and the process won't be done quickly, I think it will take a few days.
    I think we originally wanted to do that and then either relaxed it as we went on. I know when I was looking at the Google Sheet for last year, there was a page where we kept track of members nominations and seconds. I don't think it's necessary.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I also realized a few things. One, being born in 1980, I realized that the 1990s marked my most growth of a fan of movies. I watched a lot of movies as a kid in the 80's, but as I got older, my taste in film also evolved. Plus, I remembered more shit. Second, the argument could be made that the 90s were the last great decade for original films. I'm not saying there aren't great original films now, but I don't think we will ever see the amount of great, and more importantly, mainstream, films like we did in the 90s.
    Now, this may be a bit too personal and #TMI so I apologize in advance, but speaking about growing up in the '80s and '90s, we're around the same age, and I too realized just how much these '90s movies shaped me as a person now. Looking back at the various titles on these lists I compiled I'm surprised at how long it took me to work out my identity finally only a year or two ago. I remember watching The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls in Love when I was 15 or 16, and it had such an impact on me back then as a teenage boy. But not in a way a regular teenage boy would typically react to two cute girls kissing and making love (awkwardly). I was so happy for them and experiencing all these feelings they were too, and, looking back, it was because I wanted to be one of them and have that experience myself. And now that I've realized that being transgender is possible and apparently I was this way all along, a lot of things from back then make more sense.

Admittedly, that movie is not the greatest, but I'll probably nominate it anyway for sentimental reasons.
    Thank you for sharing, Mae! I'm so happy that things are working out for you. Happiness in all of our lives should be our main priority.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2