Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Man this whole thing just keeps getting wierder, after several attempts I have done what I needed to with Paypal, of course they can tell me nothing about how this happened. I have started to look closely at the auctions I paid for and as I said I (my ebay ID) was not the winner. Two of the auctions were won by ebay ID (adiaz0_0) and the rest to another (skymind428xp2) upon checking on the feedback for (skymind428xp2) they have a bunch of feedback from www.flatsigned.com and signedbookaddict, I am not sure the connection but the fact that the account that won these auctions was a book collector is VERY wierd.

Any ideas?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Did you buy anything form a book collector who could have swiped your ID?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Did you buy anything form a book collector who could have swiped your ID?
    I don't see how, I am very careful with account info and know all about the different scams and I have not dealt with either of the sellers that I mentioned gave the feedback (flatsigned.com or signedbookaddict).

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm. Then I'm stumped, too.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

So sorry to hear that. My ebay account was hacked too a month ago. Someone used an automated program to list over 500 motor cycle parts in a matter of 1 hour with my ID!. Imagine my surprise when I saw what I had for sale!.

Luckily I was online at the time and trust and safety wiped out all the listings and reset all my account info.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oy. That sucks!

If you don't have a firewall install one RIGHT NOW. Check the programs that try to access to the internet from your computer and download Adaware (it's free) once you installed the firewall. Maybe you have a spyware that got your info.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I really doubt it was anything on my end I am VERY careful online and know all the scams (btw once I got a hotmail email account, I have not received the scam/spam etc emails I used to get). I am waiting to get some sort of info from paypal, I got an email from each of the sellers that the auctions were won by (adiaz0_0) and both said the buyer was in Indonesia. I have heard nothing from the sellers that (skymind428xp2) won, I still find it weird that (skymind428xp2) has all the feedback from 2 booksellers, that I can't explain. I hope paypal lets me know what went on but I doubt they will.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Could it be that the 2 bidder's account was also hacked?. One of the bidder shows location MA and the other CA. The hacker could have changed the paypal shipping address to ship to out of country?.

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've done my fair share of both. I have no problem with the new policy, however, the only way a seller knows that 1-The buyer got the item 2-The buyer is happy with the item is by feedback. I have had a few expereinces where I have bought something only to get a totally different item (Bought a Canon Lens got a Takurma) and was not happy. Tried contacting seller and it just became a pissing contest with " I even left you positive feedback" well hey, I'm not buying feedback! On the other hand I've left buyers positive feedback and to this day have not heard boo from them. Lets face it, Ebay has that in place so you can get an idea of the person you are dealing with right. I would not buy from someone with a high number of negatives and I wont sell to people with the same. So what to do....
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

btw I am starting to sell off a lot of my collection on eBay. No Stephen King or Joe Hill items, though. I am keeping those, but I my collection is very large and I just need to whittle it down to just a few authors. I'll have stuff for sale probably for the next few months, as I'm just posting a few at a time.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgus.music

If this is bad timing because of the charity auctions, please delete this message, thanks!
    Geoff

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't worry about charity the auction-we will do fine. Your mention here of your auctions is cool with me.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here, good to go.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

cool, thanks!
    Geoff

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice stuff, Geoff!

Mike, I hope that whole eBay mess gets sorted out soon.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Default New ebay Rules and Restrictions

OK, I need to vent.

Recently, ebay has created a couple of policies that are really pissing me off.

A couple months ago, ebay made a rule that as a book seller, if I charge a flat rate for shipping in the U.S., I have to offer a shipping option that costs $4 or less. I know media mail is usually pretty cheap, but postage is only part of the shipping cost. I buy tape and boxes and that adds to my cost. It should be my perogative to charge whatever I want as long as I list the cost in my auction, and the buyer can decide if my price is reasonable by either bidding or not.

Now, I just found out that come January 15th, when I sell books on ebay, the only payment methods I can accept are PayPal, Credit/Debit Card, or ProPay. I am no longer allowed to accept checks or money orders. WTF is that!? Again, as a seller I should be able to take whatever payment methods I want. True, 98% of the people who make purchases from me use Paypal, but every now and then someone will mail me a money order. A couple weeks ago someone mailed me cash. Gee, I wonder if the fact that ebay owns Paypal has anything to do with their new rule?

Ebay is getting out of control. They are the only game in town, so I guess they figure they can do what they want.

OK, I am getting off of my soapbox.

Please discuss.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I will comment briefly.

Yes, I think a lot has to do with their owning PayPal, and it would not surprise me if PayPal fees are raised too. eBay is getting squeezed in this economy along with everyone else and it trying to maximize its revenue.

It is frustrating, but as you said, they are the only game in town. Their attitude is if you don't want to play, then see ya later.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for your comment Wiz.

Geesh, these new policies makes me feel like I am 16 years old again, and my dad is saying "This is my house and my rules...if you don't like it, you can always move out".
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The flippant answer would be to use dtbay The (old) capitalist answer would be to use some other form of seller for your item (craigslist). The latest answer is that ebay will price themselves out of business, and then we as taxpayers will be asked to bail them out.
    Now that I have attempted some humor, I have to say At first blush, their policies are a detriment to sellers, but intended to serve buyers. Of course ebay wants to corner the payment market and will continue to do so.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I have to say At first blush, their policies are a detriment to sellers, but intended to serve buyers. Of course ebay wants to corner the payment market and will continue to do so.
    Yeah, and I am both a buyer and a seller, but these policies are crap.

Very frustrating.

Thank you for your comment RF
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

My Mood
    Stressed

I am a buyer and a seller as well on Ebay. Although I buy 10 times more than I sell there. The new final value fee of 15% is really what kills me. Ebay used to be a venue to look for books at a more reasonable price that ABE or Alibris, but now seller will have to list their books higher to offset the new fees.

I read recently at a book collecting magazine an article about the new changes on Ebay. Ebay is basically modeling themselves to emulate Amazon. They also have contracts with various chains to list large amounts of listings to replace the sellers that is driven out by the new fees.

And yeah, I agree with Wiz that Paypal being owned by Ebay has a lot to do with their payment decision.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I didn't know about the no longer accepting checks or money orders.

I think that truly sucks. Though I do have a Paypal account, which I use for my cgc collecting, if I can pay with a check or money order - I prefer that. Then I don't have to deal with interest from the credit card and the seller doens't have to deal with Paypal fees.

Ugh.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My two cents -

At the end of the day, they have us by the balls. ABE is an alternative, but they are more expensive and you need huge volume for it to be worth while (in comparison to eBay). Luckily the shipping hasn't dinged me, because I list on ebay.ca where those restrictions haven't come into effect, but they DO filter my auction to the bottom of search results on account of this.

I hadn't heard about the contracts to bring tons of listings in, but it seems like a bad idea. Whenever I see a listing from one of the big companies, I just avoid it. The descriptions are always lacking, and it takes weeks to get a response to a question, if you get one at all.

As a business model, I love it. As a consumer, I hate. But, given that I sell more than just books, I won't be going anywhere.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I didn't know about the no longer accepting checks or money orders.

I think that truly sucks. Though I do have a Paypal account, which I use for my cgc collecting, if I can pay with a check or money order - I prefer that. Then I don't have to deal with interest from the credit card and the seller doens't have to deal with Paypal fees.

Ugh.
    There are some categories where you can accept checks and money orders, but books is not one of them, and that is mostly what I sell.

click here for details
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

The positives of ebay's new rules: I do like the .15 cents fixed listing price...you can put something up for 30 days and let it sit there. ABE is $25 a month, and their fees are high on the back end, too.

The final value price on fixed price items isn't too bad...but if they raise paypal fees...well...

The real problem I have is that Ebay isn't a "fun" site anymore...it's not geared toward bidding and winning, it's just a storefront like overstock.com, with fixed prices for everything and while it has a more eclectic inventory, it's still an online store. So, as a seller, it's always easy to throw something up and see what happens, but as a buyer I don't have much interest in it. And for it to work the best, I think someone like me should be doing both.

As far as requiring Paypal, and a lower shipping rate, all that does is encourage higher listing prices...so that doesn't help anyone...not the seller, not the buyer.

After Christmas, I'm cancelling my Abe account and will probably try Alibris or something...and leave ebay for occassional things...

Bottom line...I agree with Tippy...it's lame.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another thing I dislike is the new search format. In times past, you'd search, click store inventory and worldwide too, and click show items. Now it takes two steps of reloading the page to get the same point. Yes, its nitpicky - but I still haven't adjusted!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast