Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    If true, it's just one more way for the IRS to track "income".

BTW, I'd be very slow to provide my SSN to someone claiming to be from ebay.
    Trust me, it is weighing on my mind as to why ebay is wanting this information. I have gotten several emails from ebay, and these emails are in my messages on my account. I believe this to be real, I am hesitant as to why ebay wants to take PayPal out of the equation. I believe ebay owns PayPal.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

What if any measures does ebay say they will implement if you don't provide the information?

Citizen of Gilead darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    If true, it's just one more way for the IRS to track "income".

BTW, I'd be very slow to provide my SSN to someone claiming to be from ebay.
    Trust me, it is weighing on my mind as to why ebay is wanting this information. I have gotten several emails from ebay, and these emails are in my messages on my account. I believe this to be real, I am hesitant as to why ebay wants to take PayPal out of the equation. I believe ebay owns PayPal.
    I never got any messages like that. I use paypal with no trouble on ebay.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe ebay owns PayPal.
    It was announced on September 30, 2014, that eBay would spin off PayPal into a separate publicly traded company, a move demanded in 2013 by activist hedge fund magnate Carl Icahn. The spin-off was completed on July 18, 2015.[45][46][47] Dan Schulman is the current president and CEO, with former eBay CEO John Donahoe serving as chairman.[44] On January 31, 2018, eBay announced that "After the existing eBay-PayPal agreement ends in 2020, PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers on eBay, but it won't be prominently featured ahead of debit and credit card options as it is today. PayPal will cease to process card payments for eBay at that time." The company will "instead begin working with Amsterdam-based Adyen"
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Man, IDK if it were me then it would be too bad but that would end my dealings on ebay. You just can't trust this shit online now a days. Maybe if through the mail. Out of curiousity what kind of transactions are in play here? I mean if you are solely a buyer I don't see any reason for the SSN to be involved. Even as a seller, by having your CC on file they can validate your ID for tax purposes. FWIW this is a first in my experience and I haven't seen any news or what not. I buy quite a bit on ebay and have never been asked for that info. I do not sell though.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

As stated above, since they're separate now, it was only a matter of time before ebay delivered their payouts directly instead of through paypal.

ebay gets a bigger slice of the pie this way. They say sellers will save more doing it this way, but in the end I doubt it. I'm sure they'll just tack on more fees anyway.
    It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Anyone get emails from ebay about their new payment policies? Why do you need to add your social security number for this? Doesn't this seem a tad excessive to giving out information just to sell something?
    Yup - they are saying its due to a change in the way payments will be made. Instead of going through paypal funds go directly to your bank.
    Why don't you contact ebay directly to ask whether it's a true request or not?
    Otherwise, as Jerome as said, the only reason I can think of is tax related
    I am guessing you may have sold a LOT on ebay, and that triggered something at ebay?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

It's true. Under the new managed payments program, eBay is the legally responsible reporting party for the IRS via the 1099-K form. The threshold for 1099-K form is $20,000 via 200 transactions, but even though a seller may sell much less than that (as I have...just $600 this year), the potential exists in their mind...so because they don't want to chase a seller down after the fact, eBay requires the SSN now. I spent one hour and fifteen minutes being transferred around and discussing the issue with eBay's "customer service" (and I use those quotes intentionally) reps a week ago, and the answer is definitive: if you wish to sell on eBay and have been alerted to this requirement, you must provide your SSN to continue selling.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Yeah, I'm not happy about this at all. I don't sell much on eBay, and would be fine providing them the same info I provided Paypal to enable payments. But I do not want to give them my SSN.

Not sure what I'm going to do ... find other marketplaces, I guess.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally signed up for Managed Payments on bay....because I was forced to.

So now, selling books on ebay costs me 14.35% of the total sale....and that total sale includes shipping and sales tax...even if ebay collects that tax on your behalf. Plus 30 cents.

Sold a book today for $129.00....shipping was $7.01....ebay collected $8.06 tax from the buyer. Buyer paid $144.07 total.

Ebay hit me for $20.97 fee (14.35% of $144.07 plus $0.30) on a $129 sale.....16.25%.

Fuckers!
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

That's exactly why I try to sell higher priced books off of ebay and on the facebook collectors groups.

Or lately I would come to an agreement with the buyer on ebay to do the sale off of ebay and just through PayPal instead. I did that recently with The Exorcist, The Silence of the Lambs, and CD's gift edition of IT.

Saved me hundreds of dollars. Ebay's fees are getting ridiculous.
    It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

So now, selling books on ebay costs me 14.35% of the total sale....and that total sale includes shipping and sales tax...even if ebay collects that tax on your behalf. Plus 30 cents.

Sold a book today for $129.00....shipping was $7.01....ebay collected $8.06 tax from the buyer. Buyer paid $144.07 total.

Ebay hit me for $20.97 fee (14.35% of $144.07 plus $0.30) on a $129 sale.....16.25%.

Fuckers!
    So what does eBay's "Managed Payments" do for you?
    Thanks

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

NOTHING

They have just taken Paypal put of the equation and raised their prices.

And to add insult to injury......in "the old days"....when I sold something and someone paid.......I could use that money immediately to buy something. Now....it sits in ebays hands for 1 to 3 days....then takes another 1-3 days to be deposited into my bank. So I cannot use that money for 2-6 days.

With one exception....I can use that money to pay for shipping labels.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Fuckers!
    and that's before PayPal fees!

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post

Fuckers!
    Generally, how much are paypal selling fees?

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Fuckers!
    There are no Paypal fees on ebay transactions now.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post

Fuckers!
    Paypal fees are usually 2.9% plus 30 cents......but Paypal is no longer part of the ebay equation.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Fuckers!
    Paypal fees are usually 2.9% plus 30 cents......but Paypal is no longer part of the ebay equation.
    Thank you both for the help.. good to know.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Fuckers!
    Thank you both for the help.. good to know.
    Let me clarify....buyers can pay with Paypal.....but as far as sellers go.....there is no Paypal in the equation for them now.

The buyer's money goes from Paypal, to ebay, to the seller.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Along the Path of the Beam averagegatsby is a jewel in the rough averagegatsby is a jewel in the rough averagegatsby is a jewel in the rough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GenericEric View Post
    That's exactly why I try to sell higher priced books off of ebay and on the facebook collectors groups.

Or lately I would come to an agreement with the buyer on ebay to do the sale off of ebay and just through PayPal instead. I did that recently with The Exorcist, The Silence of the Lambs, and CD's gift edition of IT.

Saved me hundreds of dollars. Ebay's fees are getting ridiculous.
    Provided it's not against the rules of this forum, are you able to share the facebook collectors groups?
    Looking for:
    • American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis - First edition

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey I sold something on eBay. It was $1350 shipped but eBay only
    Took $53 on the PayPal invoice. I know before I’d get an invoice later at the end of the month.... but I hear that’s changed? It seems like a small amount. Anyone help me here?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM's Avatar

Sounds like your account hasn't been moved to the managed payments scheme yet.

As you noted, that's just the payment processing fee - expect to get an invoice for the final value fee at the end of the month, which is 12% on books, so another $162.
    'chaos, mr. who, that is our mode and modus'

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

That's almost 16% in fees. Doesn't seem totally out of line to me with 15% being fairly standard. Still a little high.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read that Paypal is taking off fees for their offer of credit, paying in 4 times
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

any advice on handling 1099-K for ebay sales?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast