Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: Vincent

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi, Vincent. Just stumbled across your newly created thread! Good stuff, man. I love the Stand by Me LP. I love that movie, the soundtrack, and the story. I saw the movie when it came out in theaters several years before I started reading King. I was around the same age as the actors at the time and it really hit home with me. It will always hold a special place for that reason.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

The Road Virus vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    And it's green! Just like Jordy Verrill's whiskers!
    Ha, you're right! I never made that connection.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    That is pretty cool Vincent. Can't wait to see what else you have to show.
    Thanks Mike, I'll keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    AWESOME stuff! Thank you for sharing!
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it, and thanks for stopping by!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Hi, Vincent. Just stumbled across your newly created thread! Good stuff, man. I love the Stand by Me LP. I love that movie, the soundtrack, and the story. I saw the movie when it came out in theaters several years before I started reading King. I was around the same age as the actors at the time and it really hit home with me. It will always hold a special place for that reason.
    Thanks Brian. I think you're only a couple of years older than me, then. I had just the same experience with the IT miniseries. That blew my head off. I can't remember if I read the book before I saw the miniseries or after. I like to think book first :-). I do remember getting the big hardback from the library.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, mate. What an opening!

The Road Virus vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing, mate. What an opening!
    Thanks a lot Antoni! Hope you are well.

Country
    Country Flag

Default IT printer's galleys

My new pride and joy:

The original printer's galleys used to produce the US 1st edition of IT.

Thanks again to Surly for posting the auction link on this site, I would never have found them otherwise. Much appreciated!

It's quite a tall stack of pages:

These pages were printed on glossy paper, and they rolled out of the machine as one long leaf, chapter per chapter. At the bottom of each page, there is a line along which they were manually cut: "-------CUT HERE-------" Sometimes they were cut straight, sometimes not so straight.

I've read up a bit on how the printing process was done at Donnelley's and Sons during the '80's, but there's much I don't know yet. Any input on this is very very welcome: knowledge you may have, books you could recommend me, people you may know who worked at a printer during that time.

The first department in the production pipeline was in charge of the text. They used a primitive text processor to input it based on the submitted manuscript by Viking. Once they were done, they printed it all out, on one long leaf, leaving blanks for in-text arwork and blank pages for the interleaves for the different parts of the book.

They printed out the different parts of the artwork and the special fonts for the interleaves separately, on a different kind of glossy paper, that was adhesive on one side.

From there the stuff moved to the layout department who created the layout of the special pages by making a collage of the bits and pieces:

You can see quite a bit of craftsmanship went into this one page. The glossy thin paper was stuck to cardboard, so that the printed parts could be moved around to the right position. The individual letters in "DERRY: THE FIRST INTERLUDE" were cut out and moved so that the lines all aligned properly with the thick line underneath.

Something as simple as a two column table with centered text required quite a bit of work:

I love this so much. You can see an underneath layer where the titles of the first column were not centered. Blank paper was overlayed, and a tiny rectangle stuck on top, perhaps to cover a smudge, or to make sure everything stayed in place.

Once the artist-layout-person was done, the pages went on to the photography department. There, a hole was punched into the top and bottom of each page.

This was a way to mount up a page and fix it, so that it could be photographed to produce a negative. The photo was black and white, so any color on the page that was below a certain threshold registered as white. As you can see on the halftitle page above, the paper that was stuck on and the tape used to fix them were quite brown, but apparently this was still well below the threshold and didn't register on the negative.

The negatives were exposed to a printing plate to transfer the image. The plates were wrapped around a cylinder, and printing could begin. The marks in ink you can see on the picture, must have been added after the photo negative was taken. Happy to learn from someone why and when these marks were drawn on.

Now something on the succession of versions of galleys for IT.

Donnelley produced a first version of the book: the first proof. Unbound pages were sent to King for corrections, and the red uncorrected proof we all know was printed. King and his editor Chuck Verrill made hundreds of changes on those proofs: errors still from the manuscript, new printing mistakes, but also lots of changes to the content of the text.

From these corrected proofs, the set of galleys were produced that now sit so beautifully in my office. The negatives and plates were made, and one last proof was created: unbound, but already in signatures, and with the text in blue: "the blues". This wonderful proof is part of jhanic's collection (see here for the post in his collection thread). With his permission I share a picture of the proofs:

The note attached is very interesting: "Please indicate corrections, cleans and fixes to be made on proofs." A final round of changes was made at that time by Viking. They had to be minor, so that the page divisions could stay the same. If a large portion of text would have been cut or added, causing the pagination to change, all subsequent pages needed to be reprinted, rephotographed and new plates made. It would have been a very expensive affair for Viking. I have no idea if "the blues" were sent to King to look through. I presume not.

Still quite a few last-minute changes were made at this stage. On this page for instance:

Held up to the light, more of the underneath layer comes into view:

In the right margin it says: "Pull block xx to position as orig[inal]. Cust[omer] did not want recentered".

Changes in the running text were also made. The pages with changes were not printed out in full, but little snippets of text were pasted over:

Here they "fixed" an incorrect hyphenation and redivided the text over the lines so that the last line looks healthier. No idea what the abbreviation BB stands for, all help much appreciated.

On page 1110 of the first edition, there was an erroneous second dot after "This time." It was cheaper to just stick some tape over it than to reprint the line:

"Fixes and cleans" the note mentions. Here and there there are smudges and ink stains that were above the threshold for the black and white photo, and they are whited out with bits of tape. I noticed one ink spot that was not cleaned on page 771:

Above the "p" of "Loosen up, Eddie". If you check your first US edition of IT page 771, you'll see the black spot. They missed a required clean there.

Now the printers came to the final part of the job: the pages with changes on them were sent to the photography department to produce a new negative. A new plate was made and placed on the corresponding cylinder. Once this was done, the actual printing of the first editions could begin!

Needless to say I'm pretty enamoured with these galleys. They are a part of the publication history of IT. They show the craftsmanship involved in bookmaking in the era of phototypesetting. It's impressive how much work and care was put into them, and how few mistakes there are in such a long book. They are the crown jewel of my small collection, no doubt.

Hope you enjoyed my post!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Very interesting stuff, thanks for posting all the detail.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Man that is impressive! Biggest congratulations

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting. A piece of history. There is a lot more to the process than one might think at first.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

You'll need a special glass sided case to display IT!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats, Vincent!

John

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Outstanding acquisition. Can't wait to see how you end up displaying IT.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool! I had no idea all that went into printing back then. Thanks for sharing!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Impressive! Thanks for the pics and information
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's really cool, Vincent!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Very interesting stuff, thanks for posting all the detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by HONKYTONKSMASH View Post
    Man that is impressive! Biggest congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Very interesting. A piece of history. There is a lot more to the process than one might think at first.
    You'll need a special glass sided case to display IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Congrats, Vincent!

John
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Outstanding acquisition. Can't wait to see how you end up displaying IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Very cool! I had no idea all that went into printing back then. Thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Impressive! Thanks for the pics and information
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    That's really cool, Vincent!
    Thank you all very much for taking the time to read my long epistle. I'm not much of a photographer, but I'm glad I was able to bring across the impressiveness of the galleys.

Thank you Steve, for the tip on the glass case. I haven't given display much thought, but I should. I have them in three stacks just sitting on a bookshelf right now. It would be great to have the three stacks in a glass case that I could tilt, so that the sides and the front are visible.

Will definitely put a picture up here once I've figured that out.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

That is very cool. It' neat too see who this kind of stuff was done. A big congrats on getting that.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

BIG BIG CONGRATS Vincent !!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    That is very cool. It' neat too see who this kind of stuff was done. A big congrats on getting that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    BIG BIG CONGRATS Vincent !!!
    thank you! it always does me good to receive such enthusiastic responses, makes me worry less about the money spent

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by vincent View Post

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read my long epistle. I'm not much of a photographer, but I'm glad I was able to bring across the impressiveness of the galleys.

Thank you Steve, for the tip on the glass case. I haven't given display much thought, but I should. I have them in three stacks just sitting on a bookshelf right now. It would be great to have the three stacks in a glass case that I could tilt, so that the sides and the front are visible.

Will definitely put a picture up here once I've figured that out.
    There are plenty of people who could make a custom acrylic case.

There might be someone local to you, or you could always google it.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

You could try one of these, although you'd have to find a larger one:

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

oh don't do that to me...
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

thanks Steve and Brian, I'll do some googling

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That is absolutely killer!
    Not only a cool collectable, but a piece of history. Amazing addition. Thanks for sharing the pics and everything you found out about it. Interesting stuff.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Country
    Country Flag

thanks surly!

I got a glass cabinet and put a light in it. I had a lot of fun putting my stuff in. It was hard to take good pictures, but here goes.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

WOW! That's an awesome display! Looks great with those prints on the wall too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast