Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Twilight Zone

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Back to The Twilight Zone, what are everyone's favorite episodes? One of my personal favorites that I never hear much talk about is The Midnight Sun.
    There were several favorites for me.

I liked Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and Nick Of Time. Not because I'm a Shatner fan, more that I'm a Matheson fan.

As a bibliophile, I liked, and subsequently have recurring nightmares about, Time Enough To Last.

What You Need was cool.

I Shot An Arrow In The Air.

The Hitchhiker.

More...
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I'm with you, Heather. There's lots of stuff I can't find except through the DVDs. And streaming just can't beat the excitement of receiving a new one in the mail. It's like music. iPods let you hear any song you want at any time, but it's still exciting to hear a song you like on the radio.
    Any old films I want that I can't find in the wild or at the library, I just buy on laserdisc. I just bought Bringing Up Baby the other day.

I more wish that they would release a new similar theme show, just not "The Twilight Zone". Of course I'll tune in though and see how it is. Hopefully it will exceed my expectations and be really good.
    I haven't watched it yet, but isn't the Netflix show Black Mirror kind of like The Twilight Zone?

If they get The Stand I'll have to at least try a free trial then. I don't really understand it. Why not show the shows on CBS, for a much wider audience? Do they show their current and past shows on this streaming service, or is it only new content? I'm just so sick of all the different streaming services. Wish they could all just be lumped up into one.
    I have no interest in paying for CBS All Access either, especially with the crazy cable prices. Your question is a tricky one. Some of the aren't being put on the regular CBS because they are of a higher standard, to be blunt. Honestly, CBS knows their audience. Their audience has very basic taste in TV. Shows like The Stand and Twilight Zone couldn't make it on Network TV nowadays. Just look at most of the successful shows on CBS right now. They are all fluffy remakes and standard procedurals like Hawaii Five-O, MacGyver, NCIS and its endless clones. I expect the new Magnum P.I. to be just as fluffy and easy to digest (and forget) and it will do equally well in the ratings.

I echo your frustration about the many streaming services and I would love a way to collect them all together, but at that point, it's essentially cable. I will more than likely just pickup the new Twilight Zone on Blu-ray, like I'm planning on doing with the Mr. Mercedes series.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So would anyone be up for a rewatch and discussion of the series if you have the boxset or can just stream? We can start on November 24th, since that marks the 60th anniversary of the airing of "The Time Element".

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welp, looks like The Twilight Zone box set is something I didn't know I needed. Christmas list!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Back to The Twilight Zone, what are everyone's favorite episodes? One of my personal favorites that I never hear much talk about is The Midnight Sun.
    There were several favorites for me.

I liked Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and Nick Of Time. Not because I'm a Shatner fan, more that I'm a Matheson fan.

As a bibliophile, I liked, and subsequently have recurring nightmares about, Time Enough To Last.

What You Need was cool.

I Shot An Arrow In The Air.

The Hitchhiker.

More...
    I love Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and Nick Of Time for the same reason. And of course Time Enough At Last is a favorite.

The Living Doll, To Serve Man, The Masks...

Must I stop?!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I haven't watched it yet, but isn't the Netflix show Black Mirror kind of like The Twilight Zone?
    The two shows have been compared often, although the many of stories in Black Mirror are based on futuristic technology. Each episode stands alone but if you watch them in order, there are tons of little Easter eggs and callbacks to previous episodes.

IIRC there are only 3 or 4 seasons of around 8 episodes each, so it's easy to run through them quickly. If you haven't seen it yet, you should really check it out. It's really good.

Just don't get put off by the very first episode. It's probably the worst of the bunch. If you have to, start season 1 with episode 2.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...the new series won't be airing on tv. Screw that
    Yep.

I already have cable, Netflix and Amazon Prime; I just can't allow this type of entertainment cost mission creep to chase potentially interesting things like The Stand or The Twilight Zone or whatever comes next across new services (and I stress "potentially" because around half of the new shows I try out, through whatever source, don't make the cut after I've watched a few episodes; with my luck, The Stand would turn out to be a new Mist, and TTZ would do little other than make me miss the original).

I initially got Netflix because Blockbuster went away, but it has since built a reputation for generating great content of its own; I initially got Amazon Prime just for the free shipping but they too have produced some good shows.

I suppose the fact that both The Stand and TTZ are on the same service could make it tempting to sign up, but the fact is that I already know what CBS is, and I can't imagine I'll ever be willing to pay a dollar for anything they do, unless they build a reputation similar to Netflix's over the next few years.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I suppose the fact that both The Stand and TTZ are on the same service could make it tempting to sign up, but the fact is that I already know what CBS is, and I can't imagine I'll ever be willing to pay a dollar for anything they do, unless they build a reputation similar to Netflix's over the next few years.
    Also the new Star Trek shows. And since it's a paid service, it's not the usual CBS you get, it's much more like a Netflix indeed.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Just don't get put off by the very first episode. It's probably the worst of the bunch. If you have to, start season 1 with episode 2.
    It's funny you should say that because I started watching the first episode and had a hard time getting through it. The show is definitely on my watch list though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I gave up after the first episode too. I'll give it another go if it truly gets better.

Country
    Country Flag

It's really too bad the '80s revival and the 2002 revival aren't available for streaming. Would love to do a full rewatch of the whole franchise, including the movie.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I gave up after the first episode too. I'll give it another go if it truly gets better.
    It really does. The next 2 episodes after it are pretty good but IMO, the ones that came later were even better.

White Bear and White Christmas (starring Jon Hamm) were really good. So was USS Callister and Hang the DJ.

But you really have to watch them in order as they start to introduce technology in certain episodes that they continue to use in future episodes.

The very last episode, Black Museum, has a ton of Easter eggs from all the previous episodes.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/11/sanaa-l...twilight-zone/
    The next stop for Sanaa Lathan: The Twilight Zone.

The Affair and Nappily Ever After actress has boarded writer-director Jordan Peele’s reboot of the classic sci-fi anthology series for CBS All Access.

Lathan will star in an episode titled “Rewind” (which is the first episode title revealed so far from the series though not necessarily the first episode that will air).

Peele — who will also narrate the series — is re-imagining Rod Serling’s groundbreaking series for the modern age. There’s no premiere date yet, but it will air sometime in 2019.

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...et-for-april-1
    CBS All Access has confirmed that their upcoming reboot of The Twilight Zone will premiere on the streaming service on April 1 with two episodes of the new series. Subsequent episodes will premiere on Thursdays beginning on April 11. Jordan Peele will executive produce the series and provide opening and closing narrations for each episode.

The new Twilight Zone series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Jordan Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions and Simon Kinberg’s Genre Films. Peele, Kinberg, and Marco Ramirez will serve as executive producers for the series and collaborate on the premiere episode. Win Rosenfeld and Audrey Chon will also serve as executive producers.

Actors set to appear in the various episodes of the new series include John Cho, Sanaa Lathan, Kumail Nanjiani, Adam Scott, Allison Tolman, Greg Kinnear, DeWanda Wise, Jessica Williams, Taissa Farmiga, Rhea Seehorn, Ike Barinholtz, Steven Yeun, and Jacob Tremblay.

The original The Twilight Zone took viewers to another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. Created by Rod Serling, it was a journey into a wondrous land of imagination for five years on CBS, from 1959-1964. The godfather of sci-fi series, the show explored humanity’s hopes, despairs, prides and prejudices in metaphoric ways conventional drama could not. In 1983 Steven Spielberg produced a big budget anthology film version, Twilight Zone: The Movie, directed by Spielberg, John Landis, Joe Dante, and George Miller. The show was revived by CBS in the 1980s and ran for three seasons, helmed by the likes of William Friedkin, Atom Egoyan, and Wes Craven. It was revived again on UPN and hosted by Forest Whitaker in 2002 for one season.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I really hope it gets released on DVD later because I refuse to pay for another streaming service. You would almost think that since it's CBS, if you pay for cable they would let you be able to connect to watch it even though it's not something airing live on tv.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I'd like to check it out but I'm also not paying.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

At this point, it’s safe to assume they’ll be offering free one month(ish) trials for their service when the content is there. Hulu, Amazon, YouTube have all done this once they had their cornerstone shows locked & loaded.

Though I agree with Heather and hope they go the HBO/espn route; if I’m a cable subscriber, shouldn’t I get free access to your streamers?

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I sincerely hope they release it on DVD!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I sincerely hope they release it on DVD!
    Blu-ray you mean

Country
    Country Flag

I'm hoping for VHS!

But really, I'd like to watch it but I'm not dropping money for another streaming service.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll probably check it out. I've been wanting the see the new Star Trek anyway
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I must admit, I am genuinely excited about this revival, mainly because Get Out felt like a movie length Twilight Zone episode, anyway, so Jordan Peele should be perfect for it. But yeah, airing only on CBS's streaming service is definitely a terrible decision. I'll continue catching up on Black Mirror in the meantime.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast