Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: The Centipede Press Thread, Including CP: Book by Book – An Incomplete Bibliography

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    I'd assume most of us here saw the new Folio limited edition of DUNE announced yesterday (looks stunning, btw):

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/dun...+Folio+Society

Wonder if that will eat into any excitement over Centipede's upcoming edition? Probably not- books seem to keep going up and up in "value" no matter how many expensive editions are produced these days. I think there will be a bubble burst at some point (like back in 2008/9)- I just can't see these uber expensive books to continue trading at this crazy upwards trajectory in this weird economy forever, but- who knows?
    I’m 1000% with you on this. There is no possible way this trend continues. I’m sorry but 700 USD for that folio book is just so ridiculous.
    It's nice, but definitely overpriced. That's Suntup pricing and not even close to their quality. As a fairly hardcore Dune collector though, I'll probably have to track one down eventually.
    I do agree that Folio's DUNE seems a bit overpriced (they seem to be getting it with these special editions recently, selling out immediately- and then seeing them sell for double, triple that on the aftermarket, so, from their perspective- why not?), but what makes you say that it's "not even close" to Suntup quality? Looks pretty close to me.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd assume most of us here saw the new Folio limited edition of DUNE announced yesterday (looks stunning, btw):

Wonder if that will eat into any excitement over Centipede's upcoming edition? Probably not- books seem to keep going up and up in "value" no matter how many expensive editions are produced these days. I think there will be a bubble burst at some point (like back in 2008/9)- I just can't see these uber expensive books to continue trading at this crazy upwards trajectory in this weird economy forever, but- who knows?
    I’m 1000% with you on this. There is no possible way this trend continues. I’m sorry but 700 USD for that folio book is just so ridiculous.
    It's nice, but definitely overpriced. That's Suntup pricing and not even close to their quality. As a fairly hardcore Dune collector though, I'll probably have to track one down eventually.
    I do agree that Folio's DUNE seems a bit overpriced (they seem to be getting it with these special editions recently, selling out immediately- and then seeing them sell for double, triple that on the aftermarket, so, from their perspective- why not?), but what makes you say that it's "not even close" to Suntup quality? Looks pretty close to me.
    I really like the regular Folio edition and The design of this new one also looks really good. I probably would have still purchased it at list price, but the materials do not appear to be at Suntup's level.

A handful have sold between $1200 and 1800 on eBay already. (I noticed one seller sold two copies.) It's not worth that much to me, that's for sure.
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

FOMO defies logic.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow88 View Post
    FOMO defies logic.
    Lol, so true.
    I only fear missing out on the CP edition!
    Mark Twain

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really like the regular Folio edition and The design of this new one also looks really good. I probably would have still purchased it at list price, but the materials do not appear to be at Suntup's level.

A handful have sold between $1200 and 1800 on eBay already. (I noticed one seller sold two copies.) It's not worth that much to me, that's for sure.
    I have to agree.... $700 and a $400 book from Suntup looks put together with much better materials but thats from looking on a Computer... be nice to hold one in hand to say for sure.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

FOMO defies logic.
    FOMO?

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just got mine in today and while I'm not sure if I'll write a longer post (there are a LOT of books that I've been wanted to write about recently) here are some observations:

First, while I think a comparison to Suntup is natural on these forums, overall, Suntup sets one of the highest standards of production and so comparisons to Suntup should be judged with that in mind. You can produce a good book, a very good book, a book that is done well and is collectible and desirable, and not meet the standard of some of the Suntup releases.

Related to this - Suntup books vary wildly in their production attributes! Letterpress vs. offset, single color vs. multiple colors, marbled papers vs. cloth vs. leather. There are easily a half dozen different kinds of paper used among the numbered editions alone! Saying that something is of the same quality as a Suntup production needs a lot of qualification, given the sheer diversity of the Suntup roster.

I won't try to cobble together a comparison to various Suntup books, but I'll note that as far as the paper goes, I can't find any particular information about the paper used in Dune (I know it's "Abbey Pure" but I can't find any production details, weight, etc. in my cursory google search) but I will say that it's most similar to the paper used in Horns or F451, which is Mohawk Superfine (which is also frequently used by Centipede Press, both for dustjackets and some interiors).

The boards are printed on cloth, which is not something that Suntup has done for a numbered edition but are pretty standard for Folio releases. This is where they could have stepped up a little - maybe using two different materials or some more exotic stamping or something.

The design here is - wow. Very nice. It's where this book really shines. They reused some of the elements of their first Dune release but with a different palette, which I don't mind at all because I liked the design of the original release. And where they definitely upped the game is with the clamshell. It's absolutely as nice or nicer than any other case I have on a numbered edition in my collection. Unquestionably on par with the nicer numbered Suntup and Centipede enclosures and would punch above its weight in a fight with most of the lettered clamshells out there. A standout, for sure.

What this all boils down to:

Overall this is a solid $700 book, though I think the pricing is on the higher end of what could be considered fair for the retail value. If I had paid $500 for this book I would call it an utter steal. If it were $800, I probably wouldn't have bought it without seeing it first, but if I had found it in a bookstore and got to look at it in person, I might have still gone for it.

I would not pay the current secondary market prices for this book, which I think are driven by the popularity of the title alone and which I expect to remain high. In fact, the sheer popularity of this title is what made it a much easier decision to buy! It's Dune! People LOVE Dune! Even if I got the book and didn't like it (though that chance was small - I also love Dune!), there was no way I was going to lose money unloading it on the secondary market.

I'm of course still going to get the CP edition that's coming up, and I'll still cross my fingers that Paul decides to do it one day - this is an excellent book and I'll take as many editions as I can get my hands on. In fact, within the last year or so, I've picked up two other editions from Ace, the "deluxe" edition and the re-released paperback editions, because I just loved the colorful presentations. The Limited Editions must flow!!

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    FOMO defies logic.
    FOMO?
    Fear of missing out.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    FOMO defies logic.
    FOMO?
    Fear of missing out.
    Thank you!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I am looking forward to the CP version of Dune. Plus, I can't wait until SWTWC starts to ship. It's my second CP book (counting the Angel series as a set) and I am excited to see it.
    At that price, I wonder what it will look like etc...

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Thanks for your thoughtful (as always) review, Lotuz. I was lucky enough to secure a copy and can't wait to see it in person later today.

Re: CP's DUNE: I've heard rumor that we may know more as early as next week? And, that there may be unpopular terms..? Anyone care to speculate?

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for your thoughtful (as always) review, Lotuz. I was lucky enough to secure a copy and can't wait to see it in person later today.

Re: CP's DUNE: I've heard rumor that we may know more as early as next week? And, that there may be unpopular terms..? Anyone care to speculate?
    Someone stated that Jerad was bundling all the Dune books as a massive set and buyers needed to commit to all the books in order to buy any of them. I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. But I'd imagine those are the "unpopular terms" you might have heard grumblings about.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I think you can get the first book only, or commit to the entire set. Jerad told me that after the first book, each subsequent book would follow 6-8 months.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Someone stated that Jerad was bundling all the Dune books as a massive set and buyers needed to commit to all the books in order to buy any of them. I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. But I'd imagine those are the "unpopular terms" you might have heard grumblings about.
    When I asked to be on the pre-order mailing list, Jerad asked if I would be interested in just the first book or all of them. As if he was deciding what to do.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Cool

He told me the same thing Brian. I committed to entire set.

My Mood
    Relaxed

I would not be interested in the whole set, so hope that it isn't a requirement to get just DUNE. I'd imagine that would a large percentage of folks' preference as well? That's like 6 or 8 books total? At that high end price point? Guess we'll know soon enough.

My Mood
    Cool

I would not be interested in the whole set, so hope that it isn't a requirement to get just DUNE. I'd imagine that would a large percentage of folks' preference as well? That's like 6 or 8 books total? At that high end price point? Guess we'll know soon enough.
    My understanding is that when you emailed, you said if you wanted only Dune (the first book) or the entire list. It's up to you. And we still don't know the price yet. The fact that the books are spaced out 6-8 months does help though.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I hadn't heard that. Jerad did ask whether people who were interested in Dune would be interested in the subsequent volumes as well, but I think he was just trying to decide if he would do the whole series or not. I think he's said that Dune Messiah, at least, is in preparation, and he may have a bundled price option when Dune is released. But I would be surprised if the bundled option were the only choice (cf. Elric)

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

There are six Dune novels by Frank Herbert, with ancillary material (deleted scenes, letters, essays) that could be collected in a seventh. But Jerad could choose to only do the first three, which are often considered to be a trilogy somewhat separate from the following volumes. It is said that Herbert conceived of the entire story arc of the trilogy - in its essentials, at least - before writing Dune.

There are also derivative works written by his son, Brian Herbert, and Kevin J Anderson. But they don't deserve the CP treatment.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jerad asked me if I wanted the whole set or not. I said set. Why not?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Why not? Because it's one GREAT book at $500- or 5 more (decidedly inferior) at $3K.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Why not? Because it's one GREAT book at $500- or 5 more (decidedly inferior) at $3K.
    How does one know the rest would be inferior? I would expect the same..not less no? And I would say the majority of collectors are OCD a bit and would want the full 'set'. Just my 2 cents.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Cool

Yep, I committed to the entire set and I am not sorry I did it. I never read the books so I am looking forward to reading them.

Gunslinger Apprentice Pere Jere will become famous soon enough Pere Jere's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it too late to get on the CP Dune pre-order list?
    Currently looking for:
    ‘salem’s Lot (Illustrated), F/F

Future wishlist:
    Gunslinger, Grant 2nd, F/F
    DT II-IV, Grant 1st, F/F

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Jere View Post
    Is it too late to get on the CP Dune pre-order list?
    Honestly, I would just email Jerad and ask him. He has been pretty responsive and and a nice guy to talk to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast