Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The Centipede Press Thread, Including CP: Book by Book – An Incomplete Bibliography

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am working on a piece (one of the bigger write-ups I've done) that I will post in the next 24 hours! It's not a bibliographical entry per se and I think it will be more broadly interesting.

I am only posting this because I need some kind of anchor or deadline otherwise I will continue to procrastinate on it and probably this small commitment is all I need but we'll see

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Can't wait!

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Haunting of Hill House: Centipede Press and Suntup Editions Comparison

So... how many words would you like to read about The Haunting of Hill House (specifically, the limited edition versions released by both Suntup Editions and Centipede Press)?

Was your answer "several thousand words"??

If so - you are in the right place! If not, you are (very unsurprisingly) not.

My copy of the Centipede Press version of The Haunting of Hill House finally arrived last week, after being misplaced by USPS for quite some time! I have never had a completely lost package before from them and was really worried this would be my first. I've been looking forward to this book for awhile and since I don't like to ruin some of the best surprises I get, I try to avoid all pictures online. But after a couple weeks of waiting, and an email saying "hey we can't find this box but we emailed the employees at the last city we saw it in," it appeared.

Having somewhat less time on my hands currently, but wanting to spend more of it thinking and talking about books, I thought I'd expand upon a previous and welcome post from racerx45 (whose pictures I have now finally seen) comparing and contrasting the Centipede Press and Suntup Editions releases of this book. It's definitely unusual for two small presses to release different versions of the same book in such a short time, but I have no problem with the unusual, and if another good small press had just announced that they were doing a version of The Haunting of Hill House, I'd get it again.

I don't generally have any problem with multiple editions of books I like, and in fact there are lots of cases where a book has already been done but I'd really like to see it done again. This holds doubly so when the book is an awesome and important book, like this one. Back when I first joined the Centipede Press mailing list, roundabout 2013 or so, Jerad would include a regular feature where he would get horror authors, editors, and artists to rank their top 20 horror novels and he would share them with the subscribers. I remember sending him an email at some point noting that every single contributor had put The Haunting of Hill House on their list. Peter G.D. Straub listed it as his #1!

As such, and after having read and enjoyed the book myself (though it is not my #1), I was happy to hear each of the announcements from my two favorite publishers. Clearly lots of people were, and everyone is happy, because both editions sold out super fast! And speaking of selling out quickly, what's interesting here is that the price points of these books are probably the opposite of what you would expect: $350 for the Suntup Editions book (limitation of 185) and $625 for the Centipede Press edition (limitation of 250). They have equalized somewhat on the secondary market (in the ~$800 range) but there aren't a lot of sales for either and the time period they have been available since release is very different so this isn't a perfect comparison.

Alright. So maybe we should start talking about the books already, eh?

Not quite . I want to note here, at the outset, that I'm going to limit this comparison to the physical composition and design elements of the book, and not the content of the novel (identical between editions, as far as I'm aware) or the extras (definitely not identical between editions). By this metric - wow! It’s quite an interesting journey to travel between the two editions. And actually rather exciting: the quality of both of the productions is outstanding, but they are dramatically different books in shape and form. These books are pretty much a perfect example of how two approaches can vary significantly but still both arrive at an excellent product.

I tried to think of a concise way to describe the differences between these books and I think I did it pretty well. But then I struggled as to whether I should share this description before or after posting the pictures and writing all the other words. I decided I'll share it now and we'll see how it holds up:

I think that the Suntup Editions book is a tighter, more cohesive package that uniquely and notably centers the physical house in its form and design.

I think that the Centipede Press book is a grander, wider vision that embraces and incorporates the more fantastic elements of the novel into its scope.

OK. So now are we ready to talk about some books??

Yes! We'll start on the outside and work our way in.

Here are the books side-by-side in their respective cases. You can see immediately that the CP tome is about twice the size of the SE one. It's also thicker, so total-volume-wise it's probably three times the size. The CP book is housed in a black capped slipcase with a lenticular image of the house embedded into the front (the photo can't really capture the 3D image but the trees stick out of the foreground), and the SE book is inside a slipcase with wood-grain paper and an attached escutcheon and key hole. So pretty immediately here, you can see the elements of the physical house that the SE book emulates, contrasted with what I'll maybe call the "spooky house" motif of the CP book, which plays up and embellishes the supernatural at a ratio of maybe 4 parts dark to 1 part whimsical (embodied very well by the house image used here and throughout).

Here are the spines, first with the cap on the CP slipcase, then off. The slipcase cap is red and gold stamped. The motif is a similar style to some of the higher end slipcased titles we've seen from CP in the last few years. There is a leather spine label on the SE book and the CP book has a leather (or good-quality-faux-leather) spine label as well as some gold and red stamping. Here, again, you see (or I see, at least) a house-like element in the SE label - the decorated edges, which, like a similar decoration on the inside, makes me think of a window with window curtains pulled to the side, or one of those old-timey decorative kinds of curtains that just frame the sides and the top of the window. This small embellishment, and the similar ones in the next pictures, I think was a great design choice, and definitely part of what really pulls this version together and makes it such a cohesive package.

Next are the front covers. First with the CP dustjacket on, and then the front boards. The CP book has the spooky house stamped in a brick color with blindstamped tree-arms. The SE book has a window. Like a house . And it even has some green stamped embellishment, of the same style as the spine title and in the interior, and not unlike some kinds of decorative woodwork you might see on a Victorian. I was very curious when it came out about the choice to have a paper-backed die-cut window in the front board versus an open die-cut window that looked into the endpapers. I wasn't sure if it was aesthetic, because of the cleaner look, or practical, or what. I asked Paul and he told me I was a damn fool and I should just shut up and appreciate the book. In the real world, where Paul is both a professional and a patient man, he explained to me that between the stamping process he wanted to use for the no-joking-definitely-awesome-decorations-above-and-below-the-windows, and the die cut process, it was logistically very difficult to do an open window. I think it looks cleaner, and die cuts that skinny often have imperfect edges (while this book has none!), so I think this turned out better aesthetically regardless of the logistics. This exchange also made me really think for the first time about the trade-offs involved in the bookmaking process. You might have a perfect vision of what you want a finished book to look like, but when you account for how a book is made you find out that you can have one thing or another, or that it's not possible to do these two things together without a special process, or that this thing is possible to do but is really expensive because it has to be done after this other thing. Wow! I mean, in hindsight, this all makes total sense, but I admit I had never really thought about what that process actually looks like and all the possible tension between what you envision and what's possible with standard - and even non-standard - production processes. A mind-opener, for sure!

Before we dive into the book, one last stop: the top edge. Some common treatments here are (a) a top-edge stain, (b) headbands, and (c) a ribbon. The CP book features (a) and (c), while the SE book has (b). Personally, I appreciate all three, but I will say that the headbands and the stain get more points from me, because I think they contribute more to the overall aesthetic of a book. The handbands on the SE book complement the endpapers, something that doesn't show up well in these photos but that you'll just have to take my word for. I want to note here for the record that in the wider scheme of things I think that headbands (and tailbands, obviously) are generally under-appreciated. It's a small element, but the choice to match colors, or to do something more amazing like marble them or incorporate design elements (like vampire teeth!) into them is one of the hallmarks of those books that are more than just the sum of their parts.

Alright. Into the book - first stop! Endpapers. For me, and I'm not sure exactly why, endpapers are hugely important. Part of it is that I have a visceral, gut-level appreciation of hand-marbled endpapers. I can't tell you what book it was (I think a special publishers edition of one of the Rabbit books by John Updike, but I can't be sure), but the first time I saw hand-marbled papers I was utterly blown away. This would have been early in my collecting adventure, even before I discovered that there was a thing called "signed, limited editions" (they don't teach you this stuff in school! you have to come to it by yourself most of the time), but it was a part of the book that I didn't realize could be so amazing. Like you've read normal books your whole life, where the endpapers are white usually or some other solid color of normal paper, and you don't think that this is a part of the book where the materials could really shine. But it is! And for me that realization came with hand-marbled endpapers.

In this case, neither book has hand-marbled endpapers. Which is fine! Although I have a deep and abiding appreciation for hand-marbled endpapers, I realize that they are not always the optimal choice. Two big factors for this realization: the SE Misery and The Haunting of Hill House. The SE Misery has pretty much my favorite patterned papers of all time. They are perfect. Without flaw. The SE HHH is also a great effort, and actually for the same reason: they are evocative of wallpaper that fits perfectly with the house's aesthetic. In the case of Misery, the halls of Annie's house; in the case of HHH, the halls of Hill House. Looking in from the windows? Very neat! The CP endpapers are printed - silver on black - with a scene rather than a pattern. Again we see the spooky house, but this time in greater contrast and from a wider angle. This image is such a good one, and just a clever design with the house as the face and the trees as upturned hands. The trees really make it.

Second stop: title page. But first, a quick digression (and definitely not the last, sorry not sorry) about limitation pages. The placement? Not trivial! And I hold the (I think) less common (but correct) view: it belongs at the end, generally. So I am going to talk about this last. It fortunately (correctly) appears last in both of these books, but even if it didn't I would consider it last because I want to talk about the flow from case to cover to endpapers to front bibliographic material to title page to first chapter header, sometimes with a dedication page in there. Because I am writing this, and I like to opine, and I further like to provide background related to the experience or rationale or evidence behind my opinions, I will tell you why I think (in general), limitation pages belong in the back. First, and upfront, my bias: the first limited edition book I ever bought, the book before which I had no idea that limited editions books were a thing that existed, was a CP book. And CP books almost exclusively have limitation pages at the back. So probably in my mind is molded some association between limited edition books and limitation page placement that mirrors my first and strongest experience. But the other reason that compels me is the fact that most other books we experience (by this I mean books without limitation pages) have a similar set of front matter and generally in a similar order. And because of this there is some "flow" to the front matter that I'm used to and that the limitation page can sometimes interrupt. Especially when a book has very thoughtful interior design, like these!

On to the actual title pages! I appreciate the two-color printing on both of them - superb color choice on both, too. I like the jewel tones as opposed to more primary colors or pastels. For the SE book we have a nice antique door knocker (I'm pretty sure) and again that decorative pattern that I just really love and that is very evocative of physical embellishments on a house. And CP: spooky house! (a great house), with a little more depth and some other nice woodsy elements. As throughout, the SE book is a bit more spartan and geometrical. I want to stress that what I say "spartan" I don't want it to imply "lacking" in any way. More like "efficient", or "concise", in that it has exactly all the elements necessary for a great exposition and no more.

Third stop: the first page. Again, we see that the SE book is more minimal. A blank page faces the text, with those wonderful embellishments under the chapter heading (see what I mean about tying it up as a package? Those things are really doing a lot of work here, and well!). The CP book has art on the facing page (the last spooky house! for awhile, the interior art delves more into the inside of the house and the various characters) and instead of embellishments under the Chapter heading, a small printed sketch.

Both books have nice drop caps that showcase the two-color printing. If it were up to me all limited edition books would be required to use drop caps for the first letter in each chapter. It’s another small element that allows a designer to either double down on their font choice or to introduce something new to the book. And look, they even use them differently! The SE book has a smaller but slightly fancier “N” that stays on the same line as the rest of the text and the CP book has a larger “N” that indents the first three lines while floating a little above the text as well. Probably there are names for these two positions but I do not know them.

Another interesting choice here, particularly for the CP book, is how to present the text in such a large book block. In this case, the text has a good amount of white space around it, which looks fine and allows for things like small pictures and large drop caps without making it seem cluttered. Despite the two drastically different sizes, the text size is pretty similar, but the CP book gets an extra word or two in each line. Both are justified (which is my preference in most cases).

Final stop: the limitation page.

So, if you are still reading my opinions and have not just skipped to the pictures (which, I admit, I have been pretty withholding about throughout this post), I would like to say that I appreciate an informative limitation page. A really informative limitation page. I like when it serves as a colophon of sorts and tells me about the materials used, the type, etc. The SE book, adorned again with an embellishment on top (A+ choice) does a great job of this. It tells us how many books there are, and how many of each type, how it’s set, how it’s printed, the choice of paper, and the printer’s name and press type. A veritable bonanza of information!

This type of info was more common on older CP titles and still included on some current releases, though this is not one of them. On this one we’re treated again to two-color printing, including the signature lines, which I really like! They’re red with teeny tiny little dots on the ends. The page is big enough to allow for a printed image of spooky house!, which having graced so many other elements of the book, is a familiar face here.

I can’t really produce pictures that show this difference, but I want to note that the SE book is printed fully letterpress, a big and expensive decision, while the CP book has a letterpress limitation page but is otherwise printed offset. I’d say that the paper quality is a little higher in the SE book but it’s hard to tell how much of my appreciation is due to the quality versus how much is because of the letterpress printing. It’s hard to describe but letterpress just gives the page an extra aura about it. It’s not like the impressions are usually super deep or anything (you still have to be able to print on both sides of the page so they can’t be) but it definitely requires a thicker paper and it’s nicer to behold. I think if you gave two identical books to a non-collector, where one was printed letterpress and the other offset, they could tell you that there’s something different about them, but maybe not what. Hell, I have written lots and lots of words about these books and I still can’t quite concretely communicate the way that they feel different.

I’m not going to give the books a score or a grade to compare them – I think an essay-length exposition about their traits does a much better job, and so that is what I have given you. I will say that they are both superb books, that I’m glad to have both on my shelves, and that I see neither one as a superior or inferior product to the other. They are different, in ways both great and small, and I love them both. Again, I don't want to read too much into the secondary market values, but the fact that they are currently relatively similar might suggest that others see these productions on a equal playing field as well.

To cap this all off: Honestly, weirdly, I wish that this wasn't such a rare occurrence - the same book being produced by two different top-tier publishers. It was super fun to look at both of them and really interesting how dramatically differently they turned out. If anything, having both of them makes me like them both more, because you can even better appreciate design choices (or I can at least) when you have something to compare and contrast to. And both of these are interesting and awesome in just completely different ways. I'm actually a little sad that this might be a once-in-a-lifetime post! I had lots of fun looking at and talking about them both, even if it turned out a little longer (and a lot more time consuming) than I was planning. Especially now, it was an enjoyable escape into bookland and a fulfilling outlet for my bibliophilia. I hope you enjoyed it as well! Thanks for hanging in there

Gunslinger Apprentice Dr. Dawg is on a distinguished road Dr. Dawg's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What an excellent write up! I appreciate you pointing out some subtle things that I didn't appreciate initially on the SE version. To be honest, I didn't know that headbands were a thing, and I missed most of the physical house motif to the design. I already really liked this version a lot already, but I think it's moved up on my list of favorite Suntup editions after reading your comparison. I've been on the fence for getting the CP edition (and almost picked up the unsigned copy Jerad offered a few weeks ago)... That one looks very nice, and I hope to pick up a copy of that one someday as well.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

My one regret in a life filled with mayhem, adventure and derring-do is not buying the Suntup edition of THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

What an absolutely exquisite essay. I don't own the CP version, but now have a better understanding and appreciation of the design and build of it. I do own the SE edition and now want to to reexamine the book in depth, using your written guidance as a tool.
    Thanks so much.

P.S. feel free (IMO) to add addition images if you see fit.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow. I feel all hot and sweaty after reading that review. Great stuff. The Suntup book strikes me as more elegant. CP as 70s chic. Like Brad Pitt in his Champion t-shirt.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The CP book is like a 32 ounce Porterhouse at a high end steak house. The SE is like a course meal at The French Laundry (not in pricing as the FL course meal would be far more than the steak meal).

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    The CP book is like a 32 ounce Porterhouse at a high end steak house. The SE is like a course meal at The French Laundry (not in pricing as the FL course meal would be far more than the steak meal).
    Both delicious in a different way! Well said, Jerome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Thanks for the thoughtful essay. While I lean toward the CP version both books are beautifully designed and well executed. One feature of CP's I really enjoyed was the light green paper (same stock as the main portion of the book) used for the front and back end extra features as it blended nicely with the color artwork. Speaking of which I think Matt Mahurin's whimsical paintings fit the story perfectly. While I find the CP's take to be grander and more elegant you can't go wrong with either version.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Love the write up! Thank you for doing that! I agree with you In regards to wanting to have multiple editions of the same fantastic work. I passed on the CP edition for budget reasons and I have a feeling that I’d still prefer the Suntup Edition, but I would have loved to own it. But now I have your post to experience the comparison!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

You can do another comparison if Paul announces We Have Always Lived in the Castle this Thursday, since Jerad already revealed he's doing that one too.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

What a fantastic write-up comparison, Lotuz -- thank you so much for taking the time and attention to detail in sharing that with all of us. That made my day (especially since I didn't pick up, either, though the Centipede was a close call, so to get to see both in such detail was wonderful).

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

One thing I'd like to add to that excellent write-up is that one book is hand-numbered and the other has the limitation number printed. It's just a little detail but something I've always appreciated about the more expensive CP books ($250 and up).

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    One thing I'd like to add to that excellent write-up is that one book is hand-numbered and the other has the limitation number printed. It's just a little detail but something I've always appreciated about the more expensive CP books ($250 and up).
    Every book I’ve ever purchased from Centipede has the limitation printed on the signature page.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Ah, even better. I'm down to only 4 CP books and they all had a slightly higher than average issue price.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Every book I’ve ever purchased from Centipede has the limitation printed on the signature page.

Interesting. But what is better a printed number or a number written in by the publisher/designer of the book?

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Ah, even better. I'm down to only 4 CP books and they all had a slightly higher than average issue price.
    I think my most expensive purchase from CP was the Peter Watts set for $125. Other than that it was Out of the Dark for $85.

I think it’s neat that he prints the number on the signature page but I prefer a hand written number.

Country
    Country Flag

I think my most expensive purchase from CP was the Peter Watts set for $125. Other than that it was Out of the Dark for $85.

I think it’s neat that he prints the number on the signature page but I prefer a hand written number.

Someone has experience writing in a number on a limited edition! I thought his head was going to burst with nervous, nightmarish thoughts of messing up.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

Someone has experience writing in a number on a limited edition! I thought his head was going to burst with nervous, nightmarish thoughts of messing up.

Hahahaha I haven’t even done that yet! I’ll put it on my quarantine to do list. Right under survive.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The cool thing about the printed number is you don't have to worry about sloppy penmanship.
    Aren't the 'Salem Lot books hand numbered?

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! It was a pleasure to write

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Aren't the 'Salem Lot books hand numbered?
    Yep! But only the first dozen-ish books were hand-numbered. For most of the life of the press they have been printed on the limitation page.

I thought it was standard when I started collecting, CP being my first small press and all. I was surprised when I got a Subterranean Press book and saw that it was handwritten! I still prefer it (printed limitation), but I definitely understand why it's so much easier to just have blank spaces that you can fill in. Also sometimes he uses cool fonts (like for the Kane series), which I think is neat.

Also, this has been mentioned in a longer post before, but "PC" copies for contributors are designated by red Roman Numerals. There is no such thing as an undesignated Centipede Press limitation page 8)

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I had the reverse experience - I had been collecting CD, SubPress and other small presses before buying my first CP, and was floored when I saw the number was printed. Just the extra work to print a separate signature page for each book was staggering.

(I can’t recall what that book was, strangely. Either Koko or The Anubis Gates, I guess)
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post

Also, this has been mentioned in a longer post before, but "PC" copies for contributors are designated by red Roman Numerals. There is no such thing as an undesignated Centipede Press limitation page 8)

'Salem's Lot printer copies?

Gunslinger Apprentice Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My first limited edition book I bought was from Centipede Press. And I will always prefer the printed numbering, and even better if he uses a special font. I am a designer and illustrator and I have the art or skill of writing by hand. And I have a lot of disgruntled feelings when I see a sloppy penmanship in a high-priced limited edition. I would love to be hired to write numbers, but honestly maybe it would spoil a few pages at first (Maybe for the excitement ).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast