Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Centipede Press Thread, Including CP: Book by Book – An Incomplete Bibliography

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Centipede Press Thread, Including CP: Book by Book – An Incomplete Bibliography

The Centipede Press Thread (Including CP: Book by Book – An Incomplete Bibliography)

[Note to mods – I am posting this in Calvin’s Corner because that’s where the other publisher-specific threads are (Cemetery Dance, Suntup Editions, Subterranean Press, etc.) as well as the other popular collecting-related threads (bookcases, etc.). Like Suntup, and to a degree, Cemetery Dance, these presses are popular in part because of the involvement of King, so I don’t think it’s totally crazy. Also, I’m hoping that it will keep me motivated to follow through with regular updates. If you disagree, please move this thread to Dutch Hill or wherever you think it would be most appropriate.]

Hi all!

I love Centipede Press. CP books make up the largest chunk of my collection, as well as more than a few of my most favorite books that I own. What started as an appreciation turned into an obsession, and this thread represents the culmination of my collecting and cataloging efforts from the past 5+ years. My aim is to present one book at a time, with pictures and comments to accompany each, starting from the very beginning of the press and continuing through to the present day. But, while that is my overall goal (and posting it publicly gives me some motivation), I hope that people will use this as a general CP thread and feel free to share comments about past/current/upcoming CP books, as well as your own personal collections.

Also, you will discover as we move ahead (or by reading my signature) that there are some books that I am missing. Please feel free to gift them to me, or, barring that, post pictures of them yourself

HERE ARE 1500 WORDS ABOUT CENTIPEDE PRESS, HAVE FUN

Let’s get right into it: Centipede Press is a very important press to me.

The first signed limited edition book I ever purchased was the Centipede Press release of American Psycho, in 2012. Prior to that I had spent a few years scouting and collecting first editions in book shops and thrift stores, but I had no real idea that there was a whole group of publishers out there putting out high quality books, with signatures, at that!

At first I just dipped my toe in the S/L pool – a book here and there from the Centipede Press newsletter, and every once in awhile something from the back catalog. Not only did I love the production values, but the books themselves were great! Some classic genre fiction, to be sure, but a lot of titles that I had never heard of before. My first introduction to Tim Powers was when CP announced that they would be producing The Anubis Gates – I immediately ordered a used paperback copy and have been loving Tim Powers ever since. John Farris, James Herbert, R.A. Lafferty – I like to think I would have come across them sooner or later, but CP really sped things up.

The releases in 2017 reflect well the wide-ranging tastes of the press: they include, among others, The Complete Samurai Cat, The Circus of Dr. Lao, Kafka on the Shore, Julia, the first book in a multi-book series reprinting Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories, and, to tie it again back to King, Anthony Shriek, which was first published by Dell’s Abyss imprint, which prided itself on nabbing two firsts from Stephen King:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen King
    ”Thank you for introducing me to the remarkable line of novels currently being issued under Dell's Abyss imprint. I have given a great many blurbs over the last twelve years or so, but this one marks two firsts: first unsolicited blurb (I called you) and the first time I have blurbed a whole line of books. In terms of quality, production, and plain old story-telling reliability (that's the bottom line, isn't it), Dell's new line is amazingly satisfying...a rare and wonderful bargain for readers. I hope to be looking into the Abyss for a long time to come."
    Anyway, after a few years, I found out about a few other small presses. Pretty recently (last year), I realized that the books in my collection that I most enjoyed were my small press books. The books that ultimately pushed me over the edge and changed my collecting habits completely were the Dragon Rebound Editions, but Centipede Press paved the way for about 5 years prior to that, and now makes up the most significant chunk of my collection.

Why do I love Centipede Press books? Let me count the ways

(1) As I first mentioned, I have a sentimental attachment, I can’t deny that.

(2) Also already mentioned: the choice of books is wide ranging – many styles of horror, weird fiction, classics from multiple genres, and a dash of science fiction and fantasy.

(3) Top-notch production values: good paper, solid bindings, fun endpapers, thoughtful typography.

(4) Good collaborations: some individual books as well as some entire series are designed in collaboration with Jacob McMurray. As CP is mostly a one-man shop, having a sometimes collaborator does wonders in keeping the books new and fresh.

(5) Individual attention: there are general themes that hold for CP productions, which evolve and change over time, but it’s clear that every book chosen for release is treated as a separate entity, and I LOVE this. I mean, I like the look of a Sub Press collection (for example) - all of the numbered editions can be put on a shelf and look good together and are clearly from the same publisher. But I think it’s a hard and underappreciated ability to take a book and re-imagine it as a limited edition that has its own unique qualities, and you can see this when you look at a shelf of CP books. There are some unifying elements overall, but there are different shapes and sizes and cases, etc. There have been two big "eras" of CP - pre-dust jacket, and post-dust jacket.

(6) Good extras: Almost every CP book with a prior release has multiple extras included. Of course, new art and new design are “extras” too, but unless your design is really killer, the fall-back of taking a popular book and adding a new dustjacket is great for business but often only a minimum gain for collectors. Common CP extras include new forwards and/or afterwards, original essays, collections of previous art, collections of previous related works, and others.

(7) Deluxe editions that are truly deluxe: This is a feature that has changed pretty drastically over time. In the earliest releases there were a good number of editions that had deluxe states – the same book and content, but more elaborately bound and with a traycase. From 2008 until around 2013, there were fewer. After 2013 these became very rare. Some of these deluxe editions went beyond what many would call a lettered edition and took the production to an even higher level – more elaborate bindings, fine leather, silk cloth, fancier traycases, and extras that really went above and beyond (an entire suite of specially printed and personally signed prints was typical). This has been a rare occurrence since 2013, but you can be assured that if CP is doing a deluxe edition, it will be very fine indeed.

As I have made abundantly clear, I love Centipede Press. And this adoration has sparked a desire that I will likely never satisfy: a complete collection of Centipede Press books! And by complete, I mean every state of every book produced. This is not actually a crazy task for books that have been released since 2013. The vast majority of new books have one state: a signed limited edition. This state has two designations, (1) a version numbered in black, for public sale, and (2) a version numbered in black roman numerals, for contributors (the Centipede Press version of “PC”). They are generally identical in all respects except for the designation.

For books released prior to 2013, this becomes a lot harder. While the typography was generally settled for each edition, Jerad (the proprietor of the press) liked to experiment with endpapers, stamping, structure, binding materials, and even book size. As a result, some of the earlier books have multiple states that include one or more differences in each of these characteristics. I don’t think anyone (even Jerad) has a complete list of all of these differences, and although I’m trying my best, I’m certain that I won’t achieve 100% any time soon (if ever). I think there are a bare handful of folks out there who have more complete collections than I, in that they may have every single book, and/or also deluxe editions, but I don’t know if anyone has compiled a collection that includes as many different states of each book. If you have, or know of someone who has, please PM me so that we can become best friends/competitors.

A second-to-last note: Centipede Press does limitations a little differently than usual. Most publishers (in fact, all other publishers I’m familiar with) have printed limitation pages that are identical to each other, with a blank space for the limitation that the publisher writes in. CP prints the limitations for both general sale and PC copies right on the page during the printing process. If you have #10, the number is printed on the limitation page when the book is produced. It’s not possible to take a blank copy and replace it – the entire limitation page must be removed and re-tipped into a new copy. Crazy!! (The exception to this practice is the best known CP book on these boards: Salem’s Lot had hand-printed limitations.) On one hand, this definitely ups the ante in terms of damaged books. On the other hand, every limitation is known for every book (with very few exceptions!) – the limitation page states the total public limitation, as well as the number of copies that are printed for contributors (PC copies). A typical limitation page says something like: “There are 220 copies of this book – of these, copies 1-200 are for sale and copies I-XX are reserved for private distribution.” I know of two books that break this trend and have a copy of each. Perhaps there are more! But if so, they are certainly rare.

And the last note before I get underway: The earliest imprint of CP was actually called Cocytus Press, followed later by Centipede Press, then a small imprint called Millipede Press for some books, then back to Centipede Press. I include all these books under the umbrella of Centipede Press. Earlier stuff published by Jerad Walters is listed on the CP site - PM me if you have any of it

All that said, let’s get this show on the road!

A NOTE ON ORDERING/BIBLIOGRAPHICAL DESIGNATIONS

I have created some ordering rules based on other bibliographies, they are as such:

1. Overall order of publication for a title. Each publication has one primary Arabic numeral.

a. Edition (generally: ultra-deluxe, deluxe, standard, paperback). Each edition has one letter.

i. State of the edition (e.g., unique combination of endpapers/stamping/materials/structure/size/signature sheet). An edition can have multiple states. Note: I choose to define a “state” by its physical characteristics, and consider all books with the same physical characteristics to be the same state, regardless of the color of ink used or designation. I will however note cases in which there are different colors of ink or different designations.

(1). Order of the set. For books sold as sets, numbers in parenthesis indicate the order of the books in the set.

Example

A book was released in the following formats: leather-bound deluxe edition in traycase (signed, designated with Roman numeral), cloth-bound edition in slipcase (signed, designated with Arabic numeral), cloth-bound edition in different color with no slipcase (signed, designated with Arabic numeral), and paperback (unsigned, no designation).

They would be denoted as follows:

1.a Leather-bound deluxe edition in traycase, signed, designated with Roman numeral
    1.b.i Cloth-bound edition in slipcase, signed, designated with Arabic numeral
    1.b.ii Cloth-bound edition in different color and no slipcase, signed, designated with Arabic numeral
    1.c Paperback, unsigned, undesignated

I can’t promise these won’t change over time.

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A VERSION OF A BOOK THAT I DIDN'T POST PICTURES OF OR THAT I'M NOT AWARE OF, PLEASE POST IT HERE AND/OR PM ME SO THAT I CAN UPDATE THE BIBLIOGRAPHY. I WON'T MENTION YOUR NAME OR PUBLICLY POST YOUR PICTURES (WHICH ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED) WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION. THANK YOU!!

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Stigmata
    Various Authors

1.a Leather binding in traycase with signature page type 1: >5 - $750
    1.b.i Cloth binding with signature page type 1: unknown (300 total of state 1.b) - $250
    1.b.ii Cloth binding with signature page type 2: unknown (300 total of state 1.b) - $250
    1.c Cloth binding with no signature page: unknown - $150

Published as Cocytus Press; October 2001
    Original price: $750/$250/$150

OK, so we are out of the gate with a weird one! The actual release doesn’t follow the prospectus (pics below) – there was originally going to be a standard state of 300 copies, bound in cloth, and not signed, on sale for $150, as well as a deluxe state of 20 copies, bound in leather (of your choice!), with extra content, in a traycase, and with a signature page signed by all possible contributors (with a list price of $1995).

In reality there were at least three states that were printed. I not only have no idea how many of each exist, I don’t even know for sure how many different states there truly are (but there are at least three because that’s how many different states I have). All three states are identical in their composition and content, but have different signature pages (different signature pages count in my differentiation of states). There was one state bound with the deluxe limitation page that included 10 signatures, a second state bound with the standard limitation page that included 5 signatures, and a third state bound with the standard limitation page and with no signature page (not shown).

The book itself is called Stigmata. Lest you be confused (and some were), this is a “collection” and the name was chosen not because there is an underlying unity of theme (stigmata) but because Jerad liked that name. Or so I heard. For the life of me I can’t remember where or how (it was probably a message board), and this book came out more than a decade before I ever heard of the press, so take that worth a grain of salt (the fact that he picked the name because he liked the word, not the fact that the stories aren’t related to stigmata – that’s definitely true).

This was a pretty good first book, production wise! It was the first of one of the classic CP looks – bound in black cloth with a gold (or sometimes silver) stamped spine, and a picture inset on the front board. Lots of the early books followed this design, and some of the more recent books (The Collector, The Girl in a Swing) are a throwback to this design, but kicked up a notch.

The inside was a little scattered, a bit of a mishmash of stories and art, with several different versions of the signature page, and also some mistakes, as pointed out in the errata sheet. This being their first major book, CP was also keen on feedback – some copies (maybe all copies, I don’t know) were sent with a survey inside.

EDIT: There is also a deluxe state of this book, now added to the bibliography. And as of November 2006 the deluxe state was also available with a framed 4' tall print of the cover inset Oedipus and the Sphinx for $3000.

Next up:
    Spoiler:
    The most famous and well-known CP book ever produced!

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A VERSION OF THIS BOOK THAT I DIDN'T POST PICTURES OF OR THAT I'M NOT AWARE OF, PLEASE POST IT HERE AND/OR PM ME SO THAT I CAN UPDATE THE BIBLIOGRAPHY. I WON'T MENTION YOUR NAME OR PUBLICLY POST YOUR PICTURES (WHICH ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED) WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION. THANK YOU!!

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great thread. I don't have a lot of CP books - I wish now I had bought more, like the Gene Wolfe books, but I do have most all of the emails, newsletters, PostMortems etc starting in 2007 if you ever need anything from those...

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I’m excited to see this thread...I’ve collected Centipede for quite some time so have a good number of them. Will watch this thread with great interest.

On a personal aside, I just lost an eBay auction for an older title I didn’t have and really wanted...just couldn’t keep up with the bidding (that topped out at over $400). It was the Hallahan volume, SEARCH FOR JOSEPH TULLY, a book that doesn’t come around very often. :-(

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you are keeping track of Stigmata books - I too have one of those "20 copy" deluxe versions with the signature page of 10 signatures. Lovely book. I actually got mine a few years back. I asked Jerad if he had any more signed copies and he actually had 1 more with all of the signatures...cannot remember how much he charged me at the time - but it wasn't much at all - maybe even the original issue price.
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Excellent thread. Looking forward to reading more about this press.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Great thread. I don't have a lot of CP books - I wish now I had bought more, like the Gene Wolfe books, but I do have most all of the emails, newsletters, PostMortems etc starting in 2007 if you ever need anything from those...
    Awesome! For some of the early books (pre-2013), the details can be a bit fuzzy, especially the release date. The CP site has them listed by release year, but the order isn't always right and for most of them I don't have the release month. There were some digital catalogues that would be great to have, too.

Also there are a few things that were for sale once upon a time but are no longer on the site - for example, a statue of Cthulhu made by Jim Humble. I have one, but I have no idea when it was released. There are probably a few other things that I'm missing throughout the years that I'm not even aware of. So feel free to chime in!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    If you are keeping track of Stigmata books - I too have one of those "20 copy" deluxe versions with the signature page of 10 signatures. Lovely book. I actually got mine a few years back. I asked Jerad if he had any more signed copies and he actually had 1 more with all of the signatures...cannot remember how much he charged me at the time - but it wasn't much at all - maybe even the original issue price.
    If you could check and see if your sigs are different from the ones I posted, that would be much appreciated!

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Good idea! Nice intro and start, as well!

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Great thread.
    Also there are a few things that were for sale once upon a time but are no longer on the site - for example, a statue of Cthulhu made by Jim Humble. I have one, but I have no idea when it was released. There are probably a few other things that I'm missing throughout the years that I'm not even aware of. So feel free to chime in!
    E-mail of 12/30/08: A new item is the statue of Mighty Cthulhu created by Jim Humble. This item has been custom painted and is limited to just 15 copies. You can find out more about this little beauty at: http://www.centipedepress.com/cthulhu.html. A picture of the statue -- which does not show the diminutive wings on the back -- is attached to this email.

2/08/09: From Centipede Press News Letter March 2009

7/06/10: Cthulhu statue 2 left!! http://www.centipedepress.com/art/cthulhu.html

The first link does not still work, but the second one does And to drive you crazy, the e-mail says there were 15, the web page says 20.

Country
    Country Flag

The first link does not still work, but the second one does And to drive you crazy, the e-mail says there were 15, the web page says 20.
    Awesome, thank you! Yes, there are definitely some questionable limitations out there. I am going to post one probably next week where the actual limitation page itself disagrees about how many were released

The timing at the end of the year is nice, though. I have that The Influence was the last release of 2008 (and Masters of the Weird Tale H.P. Lovecraft was two books prior to that, which makes the statue well-timed in that regard also) and Wildwood was the first release of 2009, so I'll stick it in between those for now.

The next post, which is one of the longest and will hopefully inspire some discussion, will be up tonight!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Seeing this make me wish I knew about them a long time ago. Most of the stuff is out of print. Maybe one day I will try and pick something up that piques my interest.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

E-mail of 12/30/08: A new item is the statue of Mighty Cthulhu created by Jim Humble. This item has been custom painted and is limited to just 15 copies. You can find out more about this little beauty at: http://www.centipedepress.com/cthulhu.html. A picture of the statue -- which does not show the diminutive wings on the back -- is attached to this email.
    Annnd sold out. How much were they, do you know?
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Annnd sold out. How much were they, do you know?
    $100 postpaid in US...in 2008..and still in 2010 apparently

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Seeing this make me wish I knew about them a long time ago. Most of the stuff is out of print. Maybe one day I will try and pick something up that piques my interest.
    It's really interesting - as far as I can put together, CP was soldiering along pretty well for a number of years, selling a good number of books but very few titles really flew off the shelves. As recently as 2014/2015 there were still some older titles available. But in the past couple of years, most titles seem to move pretty quickly, getting sold out after the first couple of weeks or months, and a not insignificant number of books are selling out pre-publication, or very shortly thereafter. There have been roughly 40 titles in 2017 & 2018 and most of them are out of print. Of the ones in print, there are only two with signed copies available (CP has been doing unsigned overruns more often in the last few years, selling them at a small discount after all S/L copies are gone).

I had an email conversation with Jerad about this a while ago, and he places a lot of weight on starting to include dust jackets. Prior to 2013, most books were jacketless, but starting in 2013 dust jackets became the norm. I disagree - I think CP was just getting more popular in general - but things appear to be moving much faster these days than they were 5+ years ago so I think he's wedded to the DJ model now. I have to give it to him, he has great jackets and he lets the art really shine. I have a number framed and displayed. But IMO some of the best books from the last year or two have been jacketless and followed the older style.

And some of the older titles are commanding pretty massive price hikes now! In general, the pre-jacket books...

Country
    Country Flag

Alright – here’s a big one! And the last until probably next week. It takes me awhile to put these together and I’ve revised this entry several times since I started it a few days ago. But hopefully it will generate some good conversation.

Salem’s Lot
    Stephen King
    Photographs by Jerry Uelsmann

2.a Goatskin binding with metal clasps, signed by Stephen King, Jerry Uelsmann, Forrest Jackson, David John Lawrence, Jim Croft, Stuart Brockman, and Ben Colborn (only 1 signed by Colborn): 2 – NFS
    2.b Goatskin binding with traycase, signed by Stephen King and Jerry Uelsmann: 25 - $900 (15 in black Roman Numerals), NFS (10 in red Roman Numerals)
    2.c Cloth binding with slipcase, signed by Stephen King and Jerry Uelsmann – 392+: $450 (300 in black numbers), NFS (80 in red numbers), NFS (unknown total with “Printer’s Copy” in black ink), NFS (unknown total with “Printer’s Copy” in red ink), NFS (unknown total with “Printer’s Copy” in black ink but not signed)
    2.d Gift edition, not signed – 600: $150

Published as Centipede Press; 2004
    Original price:NFS/$900/$450/$150

Note: Of the two copies of the goat skin edition with clasps, the only publicly documented sale was one copy, offered for sale by the owner in 2008 for $7500. Rather than use this as the "list" price and basis for further speculation, I am going to put the original price as Not For Sale, as with the red numbers and letters, and treat further prices as transactions on the secondary market, almost all of which have been undocumented and are private for this particular state.

First of all, this is the best list of editions and states that I have put together based on my own research and knowledge (and vastly supplemented by The Catalog). But if there’s any book in the CP canon that people on these boards are going to have extensive knowledge about, it’s this one, so feel free to post corrections. Note again that I define a “state” as a book with different physical characteristics, not by the color of ink or designation status. However, there are definitely other ways to view the states, and this is the book on which there could be the most possible interpretations that are all some version of correct.

Second, using my bibliographical system, this book has 4 states. If you were to consider different designations (numbered versus “Printer’s Copy”) and ink color, you could increase this to 8!

Several other early books had 3+ states - if you don’t consider ink color, Salem’s Lot isn’t even the book with the most states

[Based on this system, the book that I can document with the most states is The Other by Thomas Tryon, with 5. But it’s certainly possible that by my definition, there are books with even more…]

Third, as I have showcased before, I have a (franken)deluxe version of this book that I consider non-canonical, because, although it was designed and bound at the direction of Jerad, it was not part of the initial release. You can see it in my Stephen King collection thread if you like.

Link to the first post of my collection thread, with the frankendeluxe Salem’s Lot.

Fourth, I am aware that there are at least two other non-canonical versions that were bound later from the original page block – a red version, and a black version. The black version had two sizes. Looking back in my folder of saved pictures, I now recognize RF’s table in my saved photos of the black versions! I must have gotten those pics from this site a while ago. I saw the red version up on eBay once upon a time (it was delisted almost immediately, probably because the seller got a private offer). I also think I remember Bob pulling out a few copies when he did the tour/interview with Paul. I don’t know who did the bindings, but would like to.

Here are the pictures of the red version from the short-lived eBay auction:

And here is another picture from my folder, I have no idea when or where it’s from. This is the red and black version, and next to it is another greenish version – can anyone confirm that this is a rebind? [Also, if this is a picture of your collection and you’d rather me not show it, contact me and I’ll take it down. I have a folder of random pictures that I can’t attribute that I got from browsing forums and google and while I want this thread to be as complete as possible, I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.]

This is a link to the dedicated Custom Bound Salem's Lot thread that puts my speculation here to shame - please go over and look and comment on it.

Fifth, I’m not sure what else to say about this book that hasn’t been said before on these very forums! The goatskin states represent one of the finest productions of a King book ever, and as such are highly sought after, super expensive, and rarely change hands (at least in publicly known sales). They really have to be held in person to be fully appreciated.

This is also possibly the rarest King book, having fewer copies than even a 1/1 Salem’s Lot (not counting prototypes).

And speaking of prototypes, here are some pictures of Jerad’s prototype version and the letter he received from King. I’m pretty sure I got these off of Amazon so it might be out there in the world as well. Let me know if you know where it is! [Or again, if you are the owner and want me to take them down.]

If anyone has any more pictures to share, of any states, please do!

UPDATE: I was going through my CP folders and found a document containing a correspondence from 2008 between Jerad and a collector who later publicly posted it:

The deluxe leather of Salem's Lot includes a couple goodies. The book is bound in full leather with raised bands on the spine and brass clasps to keep the book closed. It has very gorgeous endsheets and has a special imitation page, different from every other edition, that was signed by King, Uelsmann, and four binders. It comes in a very heavy red-cloth bound traycase.

The book also comes with a book of interviews with Stephen King. I did a handful of copies of this book, which was originally supposed to ship with the original Centipede Press edition of Salem's Lot, but that never happened. Another extra is the prospectus of The Shining, a nice hardcover book detailing the specifics of the proposed Centipede Press edition of The Shining, written to Mr King, with original artwork by JK Potter. It is signed by JK and myself.

[redacted]

The asking price is $12,000. [redacted] The binder also donated $1,000 to King's favorite charity in order to help get the signature page. [redacted]
    In this same folder I have pictures of the prospectus for The Shining. I want to stress that all photos that I didn't take myself will be properly vetted and attributed, and for those pictures that I literally got from many years of google image searches I will post but will ask for attribution and take down if requested.

UPDATE 2: RF has alerted me to an entire thread about the custom bound Salem's Lot that contains a lot more detailed information and a much better job of piecing them all together than my attempts, so I have updated this original post to remove my pictures and link to that thread instead!

Next up:
    Spoiler:
    The Two-Handed Engine

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A VERSION OF THIS BOOK THAT I DIDN'T POST PICTURES OF OR THAT I'M NOT AWARE OF, PLEASE POST IT HERE AND/OR PM ME SO THAT I CAN UPDATE THE BIBLIOGRAPHY. I WON'T MENTION YOUR NAME OR PUBLICLY POST YOUR PICTURES (WHICH ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED) WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION. THANK YOU!!

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Wow that letter from King. And here I thought he wasn’t fond of such pricey productions. Goes to show how much internet chatter can be trusted.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

You have jumped the gun to present a comprehensive catalog of CP books, when in fact it's more of an exploratory article (as many questions as answers).

PM me and we can talk about this.

Gunslinger Apprentice PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

I am in utter shock at the level of detail and amount of writing you put into this so far. It is amazing and I commend you and your passion! Better than I could ever do.
    Lettered Wants:
    Altered Carbon "O"

Lettereds for Trade:
    The Passage Trilogy
    Wool Trilogy
    Silence of the Lambs
    Jekyll & Hyde

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow that letter from King. And here I thought he wasn’t fond of such pricey productions. Goes to show how much internet chatter can be trusted.
    This letter I believe is before he publicly made the comments he did. King made some pretty rude remarks about jerad and this book.... and shut down his Shining limited hopes. Really too bad as I would have loved CP to do that book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I’m pretty sure Gerald Winters has one of the goat skin 1/2’s and I think it has some slight damage. I know where the other copy is (2/2) but that... I am not at liberty to share.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    This letter I believe is before he publicly made the comments he did. King made some pretty rude remarks about jerad and this book.... and shut down his Shining limited hopes. Really too bad as I would have loved CP to do that book.

So he saw how much Salem’s Lot was going for on the aftermarket and said something or was it the list price he thought was too high? Sounds like there’s an interesting story here that I’ve never heard about. Do you (or anyone) know if it’s described anywhere on this site?

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

The price I don't believe had anything to do with it

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Lot guy View Post
    To be honest, and apparently, I know very little about the story. I just remember reading King isn’t a fan of collectors because of the exorbitant prices some of his books are sold for.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lot guy View Post
    My recollection was that King found the book to unwieldly in size and heavy, thus difficult to read, so that the production qualities that made/make them so attractive to collectors was, in King's eyes, a deterrent for readers, and it was this latter audience that he wanted his collectible books to appeal to as well. That's the gist, but I'm sure there was more to the story as King's reaction and later rather snide comments r.e. Jerad (which a search of this site should turn up, as the event has been discussed before) suggests something else was going on, but I've no idea what. Regardless, it's a shame, as future King titles from Centipede would have been wonderful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast