Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: The Centipede Press Thread, Including CP: Book by Book – An Incomplete Bibliography

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Wow. I am really shocked that 500 sets sold that quickly.
    The price was reasonable for a two book set including a previously unpublished sequel from a deceased author. And Jerad really wanted to make this something special going as far as making a slipcase that would accommodate the mylar-covered dust jackets. I think Jerad sent loud and clear signals about this one long ago.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

It's too bad I can't bounce around and go to a lot of different publishers. This set sounds like a great one. Congrats to those who got one.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    It's too bad I can't bounce around and go to a lot of different publishers. This set sounds like a great one. Congrats to those who got one.
    My bouncing days are about over. If this set was higher I would have had to pass.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He's really kicking ass this year! I mean, he's been pretty consistently selling out 80-90% of titles since 2015 or probably earlier, but these days the speed at which they're going is much faster than previously. Previously there were a few titles that would sell out on Sunday, and a handful that didn't even make it to the public order period (The Collector, The Girl in a Swing), but otherwise it would take maybe a couple days to a couple weeks to sell out (which is still excellent, and probably easier to deal with). With the exception of The Bedeviled, all of the signed editions in 2020 so far have been selling out in <24 hours, and some much, much faster.

If even half of the planned 2020 releases come to fruition (specifically the Ender books and Dune), I think that 2020 is going to be a banner year for Centipede.

I wonder if other small presses have seen similar growth in the past couple years or if Centipede's just hit a point with the size of the mailing list and the number of regular customers that demand is continually outstripping supply. And rights aren't even an issue 99% of the time - no one's buying these books for access to future releases!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    He's really kicking ass this year! I mean, he's been pretty consistently selling out 80-90% of titles since 2015 or probably earlier, but these days the speed at which they're going is much faster than previously. Previously there were a few titles that would sell out on Sunday, and a handful that didn't even make it to the public order period (The Collector, The Girl in a Swing), but otherwise it would take maybe a couple days to a couple weeks to sell out (which is still excellent, and probably easier to deal with). With the exception of The Bedeviled, all of the signed editions in 2020 so far have been selling out in <24 hours, and some much, much faster.

If even half of the planned 2020 releases come to fruition (specifically the Ender books and Dune), I think that 2020 is going to be a banner year for Centipede.

I wonder if other small presses have seen similar growth in the past couple years or if Centipede's just hit a point with the size of the mailing list and the number of regular customers that demand is continually outstripping supply. And rights aren't even an issue 99% of the time - no one's buying these books for access to future releases!
    It's interesting. Suntup's releases have been crushing it as far as selling out. And the last big preorder from CD Midnight Under the Big Top, sold out a lot faster than I thought it would.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post

It's interesting. Suntup's releases have been crushing it as far as selling out. And the last big preorder from CD Midnight Under the Big Top, sold out a lot faster than I thought it would.
    And, speaking of Centipede, that Watts set sold out insanely fast.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

The Sub Press newsletter says they have a few of the ANGEL sets available.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Yep. They also have Vampire Junction for $150 (long sold out at CP for $95). And they have PS’s The Stand for $400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

however many they had - they are already sold out - I saw email at 0600 PST - and they were sold out then...
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Country
    Country Flag

Yep. They also have Vampire Junction for $150 (long sold out at CP for $95). And they have PS’s The Stand for $400

Also note that they are donating the difference between their sale price and the original published price (in the case of The Stand that’s a lot) to BLM.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

So while I think of myself as somewhat up-to-speed on values for Centipede releases, I came across an oddity last night, one I'd forgotten I have until an influx of books made me reshuffle a number of my shelves to make them all fit. I found this oddity tucked away; I hadn't seen it in years, and completely forgot I had it. I'm wondering what others might estimate its value.

For lack of a better description, it's an early production piece for THE MONK. It's an unbound but complete (I think...?) page block of perhaps 1.5" thick...that is, it's bound by glue and what looks to be stitching, but there are no boards. It's untrimmed, so some of the pages are uncut at the top and thus are stuck together with their neighboring page(s), and the color indicators for the machination (the correct term is escaping in this late hour) are visible on many of the outer edges of the page sides. It's fully illustrated in color, and quite lovely. I think what it is a complete (again, I think...?) page block that only needed to be trimmed and bound to be called a book, but it's just shy of that label. It's in Fine shape, for what it is.

I'm lost on the value of such a thing...obviously, it would appeal primarily to Centipede completists -- and perhaps have an immense lure for them -- but presumably have little appeal elsewhere. I don't collect such things (though thumbing through it I wish I hadn't passed on the book proper, as it's a beautiful production), so am toying with the idea of throwing it up on eBay...anybody have any idea what such a thing (perhaps the only such existing example of an early THE MONK production piece) should demand?

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

A new edition of that guy with the pointy stick or teeth coming out in 2022.
    Even I am highly interested in that one!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Gunslinger Apprentice Frondz has a spectacular aura about Frondz has a spectacular aura about Frondz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    So while I think of myself as somewhat up-to-speed on values for Centipede releases, I came across an oddity last night, one I'd forgotten I have until an influx of books made me reshuffle a number of my shelves to make them all fit. I found this oddity tucked away; I hadn't seen it in years, and completely forgot I had it. I'm wondering what others might estimate its value.

For lack of a better description, it's an early production piece for THE MONK. It's an unbound but complete (I think...?) page block of perhaps 1.5" thick...that is, it's bound by glue and what looks to be stitching, but there are no boards. It's untrimmed, so some of the pages are uncut at the top and thus are stuck together with their neighboring page(s), and the color indicators for the machination (the correct term is escaping in this late hour) are visible on many of the outer edges of the page sides. It's fully illustrated in color, and quite lovely. I think what it is a complete (again, I think...?) page block that only needed to be trimmed and bound to be called a book, but it's just shy of that label. It's in Fine shape, for what it is.

I'm lost on the value of such a thing...obviously, it would appeal primarily to Centipede completists -- and perhaps have an immense lure for them -- but presumably have little appeal elsewhere. I don't collect such things (though thumbing through it I wish I hadn't passed on the book proper, as it's a beautiful production), so am toying with the idea of throwing it up on eBay...anybody have any idea what such a thing (perhaps the only such existing example of an early THE MONK production piece) should demand?
    Interesting piece for sure. I'd rather the Centipede experts chime in, but since no one has yet, I'll give it a shot. First, does it have a signature sheet bound in? I'm guessing it would align with its published counterpart, but maybe slightly less due to a more limited interest as you stated. In other words, with a signature sheet, maybe $250-300, and without, maybe $200. JUST a wild guess based on limited knowledge of Centipede collectibles. But, I do know a bit about proofs and pre-publication copies. Care to throw up some pictures? Would be interesting to see for everyone, I think.

Country
    Country Flag

I really didn't understand what was being announced. Was it Dracula translated into Swedish and then translated back into English?? With stuff added that may or may not have been written by Stoker?? Why would it needed to be translated back into English? Wouldn't that be like playing a game of telephone? I guess that's why all that extra stuff got added. I couldn't make sense of it but I wanted to buy it anyway. But that's my issue.

I speak good Swedish.
    I learned it from watching The Muppet Show.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I really didn't understand what was being announced. Was it Dracula translated into Swedish and then translated back into English?? With stuff added that may or may not have been written by Stoker?? Why would it needed to be translated back into English? Wouldn't that be like playing a game of telephone? I guess that's why all that extra stuff got added. I couldn't make sense of it but I wanted to buy it anyway. But that's my issue.
    I’m not familiar with the history of the text of Dracula, but it sounds like an early version of the novel was translated into other languages, and the 1897 English version is different from those. The earlier version no longer survives in English, so the text is being re-created by back translations from those other languages. It sounds like one translation from Icelandic already exists.

I can see this might be fascinating to Dracula aficionados, As it appears that it contains scenes that no longer exist in the only extant English version.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger Apprentice Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I’m not familiar with the history of the text of Dracula, but it sounds like an early version of the novel was translated into other languages, and the 1897 English version is different from those. The earlier version no longer survives in English, so the text is being re-created by back translations from those other languages. It sounds like one translation from Icelandic already exists.

I can see this might be fascinating to Dracula aficionados, As it appears that it contains scenes that no longer exist in the only extant English version.

I understood that it is the first complete translation of a Swedish version, so it does not exist in English, because The translator may have added scenes and episodes to the text. In addition, it contains numerous scenes not included before.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Black Miau View Post

I understood that it is the first complete translation of a Swedish version, so it does not exist in English, because The translator may have added scenes and episodes to the text. In addition, it contains numerous scenes not included before.
    I guess my confusion comes from not understanding why a work written in English and translated to Swedish would need to be translated back into English. Maybe the additional scenes that haven’t previously appeared in English needed to be translated into English, but the entire work? Or maybe that’s all that is going to be translated.

I gotta say this seems like an edition worth publishing.

Gunslinger Apprentice Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Black Miau View Post

I guess my confusion comes from not understanding why a work written in English and translated to Swedish would need to be translated back into English. Maybe the additional scenes that haven’t previously appeared in English needed to be translated into English, but the entire work? Or maybe that’s all that is going to be translated.

I gotta say this seems like an edition worth publishing.

I can suppose that the translator added scenes, dialogues, words randomly throughout the book. So that needs a complete translation.
    I'm a subscriber, so I'll be happy to have one.

Gunslinger Apprentice Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all

Country
    Country Flag

As much as I'm sick of seeing Dracula get republished again and again, this one sounds pretty cool!

Gunslinger Apprentice burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone know what the status is on Dune? have the pre-orders gone out yet? Also I'm in search of the Centipede Press Ender's game if anyone is selling it
    ISO DT I-IV #101, rage,Suntup Press Horns, Rosemary's Baby and The Road w/designation #239

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frondz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post

Interesting piece for sure. I'd rather the Centipede experts chime in, but since no one has yet, I'll give it a shot. First, does it have a signature sheet bound in? I'm guessing it would align with its published counterpart, but maybe slightly less due to a more limited interest as you stated. In other words, with a signature sheet, maybe $250-300, and without, maybe $200. JUST a wild guess based on limited knowledge of Centipede collectibles. But, I do know a bit about proofs and pre-publication copies. Care to throw up some pictures? Would be interesting to see for everyone, I think.
    Sure, I’ll post them in the next day or two.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

This. Exactly. As a HUGE Drac Guy- I'm still, like... "Huh..? And, oh, yes, sorry, here's all my money, but..huh?".

Yes, this is something we can all sink our teeth into and fang you very much for, Jerad.
    I'd raise a toast to you for printing this, but I don't drink wine!
    Must...go...the children of the night...such harmony...their voices are putting me to sleep...

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Ok, so I have know, until 2022 to figure out how to order a book from them before they sell out. I wanted The Woman in Black but I did not know when it was on sale. First it was on it's way, then it was sold out.
    I did not even have a chance. So, I have about a year and half to figure it out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast