Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: See me, and weep.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default See me, and weep.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygt9Wizh9mo"]YouTube - The best video you'll see this year![/ame]
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

This is me, not weeping.

In fact, the making of what should have been an intensely personal moment between father and son into a media moment(look at all the pictures and cameras in the background) kind of annoys me.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I did.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing distracts from the actual betrayal of a government engaging in war than touching pieces from the frontline!
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Country
    Country Flag

The cynicism is thick here.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    The cynicism is thick here.
    Have you evr went to pet a dog that has been badly abused by a previous master and no matter how nice you try to be, it always shys away from you?
    It is sort of like that.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to agree. I'm glad the kid got to see his dad, but I fucking hate the fact that the media used it for propaganda.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

If it's propaganda it's anti war propadanda. It's shows distinctly how a boy needs his dad.

What if he was returning from Afganistan and not Iraq? Would that make it more palatable?

I wouldn't say propaganda as much as misdirection, in the same way that the media spins the "support the troops, not the war" concept to the war machine's advantage.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Was the soldier conscripted to fight? Or was he defending his own soil from invasion?

i.e. Was his being away the result of something out of his control, or did he exercise his ability to make a choice, and that was the consequence of that choice?

Of course I wish that all troops return home safe and well. I actually wish they were never in Iraq to begin with. But then again, we all have the freedom to make decisions, don't we.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

If it's propaganda it's anti war propadanda. It's shows distinctly how a boy needs his dad.

What if he was returning from Afganistan and not Iraq? Would that make it more palatable?
    I'm sorry, are you new???? That is TOTALLY pro-war propaganda. Oh, lookit, the big brave soldier came home for his son...

I don't give a rat's ass what country he came home FROM, that is, IMHO, pure and simple, a "let's-tug-on-America's-hearstrings" piece of propaganist BS.

Had we NOT stuck our noses where they didn't belong (and, just so you know, I VOTED FOR Bush, twice) we would not be seeing that.

Again, I think it's GREAT the kid got to see his dad. I think it's GREAT the man believed strongly enough in his county's policies that he fought for our country.

What I have a HUGE FUCKING PROBLEM WITH is the media's need to cash in on this. Why??? Think about it.

ETA: I have a hard time respecting this particular soldier, as well. WTF??? Why, why, WHY would you make a reunion with your kid a media event? Seriously?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Was the soldier conscripted to fight? Or was he defending his own soil from invasion?

i.e. Was his being away the result of something out of his control, or did he exercise his ability to make a choice, and that was the consequence of that choice?

Of course I wish that all troops return home safe and well. I actually wish they were never in Iraq to begin with. But then again, we all have the freedom to make decisions, don't we.
    Well stated.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I kinda' gotta' agree with most everyone on this. This is just taking what should have been a sweet beautiful moment between a boy and his dad and twisting it for political purposes. To me it is sickening. It is no more than diversion and disinformation.

I'm not sure if I'd blame the father any though. He may have had little or no say in the cameras being there...or been so happy to see his boy that he didn't give it a whole hell of a lot of thought.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    This is me, not weeping.

In fact, the making of what should have been an intensely personal moment between father and son into a media moment(look at all the pictures and cameras in the background) kind of annoys me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Nothing distracts from the actual betrayal of a government engaging in war than touching pieces from the frontline!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I have to agree. I'm glad the kid got to see his dad, but I fucking hate the fact that the media used it for propaganda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I kinda' gotta' agree with most everyone on this. This is just taking what should have been a sweet beautiful moment between a boy and his dad and twisting it for political purposes. To me it is sickening. It is no more than diversion and disinformation.
    Agree with all of the above.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

At the moment, Canada has most of our troops trying to sort out the shit in Afghanistan and a lot of Canadians want our troops out of there... it is really no different than how you feel about Iraq, to be honest.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post

At the moment, Canada has most of our troops trying to sort out the shit in Afghanistan and a lot of Canadians want our troops out of there... it is really no different than how you feel about Iraq, to be honest.

Canada has a military???

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

What's funny?

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Your "Canada has an army?"

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I know. I was kidding when I asked the second question too. I knew what you meant.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought so. Dork.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I have never ever heard a single thing about the canadian military and I live four hours away from Canada. Isn't that strange?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure I would classify this as a "media event" other than on the local level. I sure didn't see it on the national news. I know it aired but it wasn't advertised or anything.

Not only that but the guy may not have had a choice about weather it was being covered. His boy was there, so was he, so was the cameras. I'm not saying that is what it was but the media really isn't interested in anything "prowar" for the most part.

For myself, its touching. Not because the kid is a part of a war that was fought wrong but because he went away, he missed his dad, and now he is back. Win/win
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Political diversion is insidious in nature, and if done properly, should never be advertised, otherwise it looks blatantly like exactly what it is.

Most likely, a local CBS affiliate went and filmed it when they heard about it, then the national team said "Oh, look what we can do with this!"

And I totally disagree, matt. For large media organizations, it is in their best interest to be pro-war. For some news organizations, it is because they have become little more than mouthpieces for the Bush administration and for others it is simply because a good controversial war makes for good newsbytes and headlines. The mass media is not in the business of showing us sunshine and roses, and in the end, it is just that: a business.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, we'll have to disagree there. If it was good for business there would be more pictures of US soldiers handing out candy to kids and stuff like that...because it happens all the time.

You would think there isn't any kindness going on but the reality is you can't swing a dead cat there without running into some if you don't simply ignore it.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast