Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Book Collection: lotuz

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

I’m tempted to start collecting bootlegs now. I love that Vonnegut bootleg, with or without the misspelling.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    I’m tempted to start collecting bootlegs now. I love that Vonnegut bootleg, with or without the misspelling.
    I like the misspelling. It's kind of perfect.

I think I have a few John Updike bootlegs somewhere.

I generally have passed on them though. They are cool, but they are usually not highly collectible. That does make them more affordable.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    The misspelling definitely adds to the cool factor!
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Isn't she the daughter of Aaron Spelling, the famous TV and movie producer?
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

BOOOOOO!!!!! GET OFF!!!!!!!

“If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

I think I have a few John Updike bootlegs somewhere.

I generally have passed on them though. They are cool, but they are usually not highly collectible. That does make them more affordable.

The misspelling definitely adds to the cool factor!
    Agreed that the misspelling makes it a neater book!

Also, you’re right Brian about the collectability. There are a distinct minority of bootlegs that are collectible, 95% aren’t. So it definitely makes it a relatively affordable area to collect. I’m at the point now where I will pick up most bootlegs if they are less than $10, but otherwise I only seek out bootlegs for authors or books I already collect. I’d love to have more SK books and to complete a bootleg Dune collection.

I do have a smallish collection of Updike firsts – I really liked the Rabbit series and the dustjacket theme (why did they have to ruin it with Rabbit Is Rich ). My first edition Rabbit, Run was one of the books I got for an amazing price because a bookstore on Fillmore Street went out of business in ~2008 .

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Isn't she the daughter of Aaron Spelling, the famous TV and movie producer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    BOOOOOO!!!!! GET OFF!!!!!!!

Oh Steve, you do know how to make us laugh and groan simultaneously

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I must admit, I didn't realize that people collected bootlegs, and it sounds fascinating. I learn all kinds of cool stuff here.

(I'd kill to see your Dune bootleg collection)
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bet you were surprised to see this on the front page again!

So it's no secret whatsoever that when it comes to posting, I'm (a) great at posting long-winded screeds about books that are very specific and detailed, (b) not-so-great about posting updates to the Centipede Press Bibliography, and (c) absolute garbage at posting pictures of my new acquisitions and other nice books I own.

I get a lot of pleasure from the posts from people who are good at (c). I really appreciate seeing the photos of new books, of books I love and books I don't love, of books I want to own, and even of books I already own (because we have some great photographers here who can make them look so, so good). Given this, I'd like to become a little better at (c) myself. I have probably a dozen books that belong in this thread that are unique or rare or interesting, and that I think the King folks will enjoy. I have probably five times as many that need to go in an as-of-yet-unstarted Non-King collection thread. But we're in the King thread so let's start here with a brand new acquisition that arrived earlier today.

I'll preface this like I sometimes do, with the note that I am not a proof collector, but there are some very specific proofs that I'll get when they present themselves: King proofs that are interestingly signed or inscribed, proofs from my very favorite books, King and otherwise, and pretty much anything related to Suntup Editions. I'll also note that I do not have a Covers Collection subscription, but have picked up a few prints along the way.

Why these two notes?

Because this is a very early Suntup Editions proof for The Covers Collection. I'm not sure whether this proof is the first ever Suntup proof, or if the EOTD Portfolio proofs were distributed first. The letter accompanying this proof is dated 5/30/2017 and I believe that there was a letter with the EOTD Portfolio proofs dated like 5/7/2017. Whether these letters denote the "release" order, I don't know! Maybe Paul can clear it up...

This is a neat proof, I think, for a number of reasons.

First off, it's the first or second proof from Suntup Editions. Very early Suntup Editions stuff appeals to me in part because of how successful SE has become. It provides an early peek into what turned out to be one of the best and most desirable small presses currently operating, and I think this gives some of the earlier stuff a historical weight that transcends the objects themselves. Kind of like how a concert ticket is really just a piece of paper that got you into an event, but if the event was memorable the ticket itself might evoke some feelings down the road.

Second, it's more of a home-job than the Misery and later proofs. Printed on 8.5x11" paper and spiral-bound, Paul may have done this himself, or maybe at a local copy shop. It certainly didn't require the same equipment and sophistication of the later perfect-bound proofs.

Third, because of the nature of the product, this "proof" is actually more of a pitch-book or a prospectus. It serves a similar purpose as a typical proof (marketing, drumming up interest, giving you a sneak peek, etc.), but it has things like a quasi-FAQ (more later) that a proof of a novel would not have.

Fourth, because of #3, it allows Paul's personality to shine through a little more directly - in the form of his words instead of his designs. It's dead accurate and very specific when it comes to describing the materials and quality of the prints, but it's all wrapped up in a light-hearted package with some good humor.

So - on to the main event!

The cover, with and without the transparent overlay:

The opening page showing the three prints that had been completed prior to the official announcement:

Quite a bold promise in the "Benefits of a Subscription" section

The Super Amazing Golden Suntup Ticket:

A peek at a product that didn't (or hasn't yet) made it to market - an Oversize Gallery Wrap Print:

And my favorite (and the funniest) section, not a FAQ but a QWTYMA:

Featuring such greats as:

Q: Can I have number 19?
    A: (No.)

and

Q: Is is true that Paul Suntup was once featured in Cosmopolitan Magazine?
    A: (Yes, that is quite true.)

[Note: I absolutely Googled this right away and could not find anything other than mentions of this very book.]

and a joke for (or on) the completists in the crowd

Neat, huh?

[And a thank you to Pasiuk57 from these boards, who is always a pleasure to deal with. I saw it via eBay and won, but he has sold me and other folks some mighty fine stuff over the past couple years.]

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

That's an okay item, I guess....

Spoiler:
    Truth be told - IT'S GREAT!!!!!!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool thing to have. Congrats

seeking Gunslinger #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

That's fantastic! Congrats!

(Do we know whether there actually was a Golden Ticket, and if so, who received it?)

Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, that's a blast from the past! I haven't looked at that since around then. That time was a complete blur. I just remember working almost non-stop to launch those prints. And I remember it being this immense effort to get them off the ground. I never dreamed that they would continue to be released 3 years later! Anyway, I would agree that this is more of a promotional/marketing item than a proof, so I consider the EOTD portfolio proof to be the first.

If my memory is correct on this, I had these printed and spiral bound by FedEx Office. I will say though that the Lettered edition portfolio proof was entirely a 'home-job. I printed every page, cut them, bought a spiral binding machine and bound them. As for those canvas prints, I never ended up launching them. The Golden Ticket, yes there was a winner although I cannot remember who it was. As for the humor, I take full responsibility, but hopefully it got a laugh...

Regarding release order, looking back on some notes, the EOTD Portfolio was announced on March 1, 2017 and the Covers prints on May 30th, 2017.

Now as for this Cosmo article, oh man... Talk about previous lives. In 1991 when I was still in South Africa, the magazine ran a story about me and my comic store in a section called "Movers and Shakers". I just now unearthed it from a box in my garage and after reading it almost 3 decades later, I can't help but see the similarities between what was driving me back then; the spirit and inspiration running through it all, and what's happening now.

Anyway, this is really embarrassing, but what the heck! Don't laugh at me please... :-P

Spoiler:

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Well, that's a blast from the past! I haven't looked at that since around then. That time was a complete blur. I just remember working almost non-stop to launch those prints. And I remember it being this immense effort to get them off the ground. I never dreamed that they would continue to be released 3 years later! Anyway, I would agree that this is more of a promotional/marketing item than a proof, so I consider the EOTD portfolio proof to be the first.

If my memory is correct on this, I had these printed and spiral bound by FedEx Office. I will say though that the Lettered edition portfolio proof was entirely a 'home-job. I printed every page, cut them, bought a spiral binding machine and bound them. As for those canvas prints, I never ended up launching them. The Golden Ticket, yes there was a winner although I cannot remember who it was. As for the humor, I take full responsibility, but hopefully it got a laugh...

Regarding release order, looking back on some notes, the EOTD Portfolio was announced on March 1, 2017 and the Covers prints on May 30th, 2017.

Now as for this Cosmo article, oh man... Talk about previous lives. In 1991 when I was still in South Africa, the magazine ran a story about me and my comic store in a section called "Movers and Shakers". I just now unearthed it from a box in my garage and after reading it almost 3 decades later, I can't help but see the similarities between what was driving me back then; the spirit and inspiration running through it all, and what's happening now.

Anyway, this is really embarrassing, but what the heck! Don't laugh at me please... :-P

Spoiler:
    Let me be the first to (not) laugh! Wow! You look like a John Hughes character, Paul!

seeking Gunslinger #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Wow, Paul, that's amazing you have that. And I'm not laughing, but I am smiling.

And amazing to think Suntup's beginnings were just three years ago. You've come a long way in a short time.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Wow, Paul, that's amazing you have that. And I'm not laughing, but I am smiling.

And amazing to think Suntup's beginnings were just three years ago. You've come a long way in a short time.

HBJ
    And, like all great success stories, i'm sure it took a lifetime of hard work to get to that "immediate" success.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Spoiler:
    Extraordinary! Thank you for sharing this!

And I agree, early 90's Paul looks straight out of a John Hughes film. What a great pic.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

THANKS for the kind words!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2