Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Outsider series on HBO

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...gs-hbo-1283475

The Stephen King adaptation has the biggest audience for a first-year drama at the premium cable outlet since 'Westworld.'
    HBO's The Outsider has quietly racked up a big audience over the course of its 10-episode run.

The adaptation of Stephen King's novel hasn't received the media attention of, say, Watchmen or Big Little Lies — but it's brought in more viewers than the former and is approaching the latter's mark in multiplatform audience. The Outsider is drawing the biggest audience for a first-year HBO drama since Westworld in 2016.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Ben Mendelsohn Doesn't Know About Season 2 – But He's Heard a Few Things

So is that a tease for a second season? Mendelsohn just doesn't know – but he's heard a few things:

"This is the God's honest truth: I've been told some way, somewhere, someone is writing, and somewhere that person who's writing is saying, 'Go away until I'm finished.' So no one knows. No one knows whether there'll be another, who'll be in it, what it will be about, any of those questions. I'll put a bet that they make another, but as to who is in or out or what that's about or anything else, I couldn't tell you. That's the God's honest truth."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will not be watching another season. I liked the first couple episodes than it went to shit for me;( This, sadly is the King recreated show syndrome I find.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...gs-hbo-1283475

The Stephen King adaptation has the biggest audience for a first-year drama at the premium cable outlet since 'Westworld.'
    HBO's The Outsider has quietly racked up a big audience over the course of its 10-episode run.

The adaptation of Stephen King's novel hasn't received the media attention of, say, Watchmen or Big Little Lies — but it's brought in more viewers than the former and is approaching the latter's mark in multiplatform audience. The Outsider is drawing the biggest audience for a first-year HBO drama since Westworld in 2016.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Ben Mendelsohn Doesn't Know About Season 2 – But He's Heard a Few Things

So is that a tease for a second season? Mendelsohn just doesn't know – but he's heard a few things:

"This is the God's honest truth: I've been told some way, somewhere, someone is writing, and somewhere that person who's writing is saying, 'Go away until I'm finished.' So no one knows. No one knows whether there'll be another, who'll be in it, what it will be about, any of those questions. I'll put a bet that they make another, but as to who is in or out or what that's about or anything else, I couldn't tell you. That's the God's honest truth."

Well, I'm very interested in the propects for a second season that obviously goes beyond the novel. I'm thinking they would look to continuing the adventures of, Holly Gibney and not the creature, in my humble opinion anyway.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a much greater appreciation of the Holly Gibney character after watching the TV series and think I’ll end up enjoying the story in If It Bleeds featuring Holly a lot more than if I hadn’t seen this adaption.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm using a HBO trial to watch this and I'm up to ep. 8. Overall I'm enjoying it but I'm not really a Holly fan and I really don't care for the changes to the character and the portrayal. This Holly actually makes me appreciate book Holly more. It does seem that they could have trimmed this by a couple of episodes.
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally finished this over the weekend. Mixed feelings tbh.. it started out fine enough but then we get less and less Cuco and too much detective work spread out over multiple characters. It felt bogged down. The last few episodes -especially that last one- felt silly and anti-climatic.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I finished the novel last month and finished the series last night.

About the series, as a TV show:
    It was a good show, quality acting, writing, production etc. (the opposite of a SyFy production, or Spike's The Mist). Having previously read the novel, most of the story was no surprise, but I enjoyed what I got and my family (who hadn't read the novel) did as well.

About the series, as an adaptation:
    For the first 3 episodes or so, I actually preferred the TV show; the novel felt like it dragged a bit on some of this stuff, taking too long with sawdust-packed police interviews and Ralph's thoughts prior to arresting Terry (this material was crucial, but could've been much tighter). For the rest of the episodes, I preferred the book, partly because the novel didn't suffer from drag after that point and because the series changed things around, some of which wasn't to my liking: Ralph's relationship with Holly was different, we didn't see the pre-existing bad blood between Ralph and Jack, but mostly what they did to Holly, put well by jebeare:

Quote Originally Posted by jebeare View Post
    As for Holly, I'm not a huge fan of this version. They've made her an eccentric genius rather than the crippling OCD-sufferer that SK wrote in the Hodges trilogy. The actress is doing a great job with what she's been handed, but this just doesn't feel like Holly.
    This is a different character who also happens to be named "Holly," and that's it (this Holly believes in God and has family she loves and can rely on, and also found a fuck-buddy).

Still, this didn't kill the story for me; as important as she is to The Outsider, I always felt (while reading the novel) that the story really belonged to the other characters. The change to her character was an example of how the series managed to change specifics while still getting the story from the same general A to the same general B. Had it been an iconic story like The Shining, The Stand, or It, these changes would've bothered me (I'm still pissed about what It Chapter 1 did to Mike Hanlon), but it isn't and they don't.

I thought the series made it perfectly obvious that

Spoiler:
    Ollie Peterson was going to snap (he looked psycho absolutely all the time), whereas King (and we've got to give him credit where credit is due) managed to play these cards close to the vest in the novel (I didn't see it coming at all).

I thought the end was better in the novel, but

Spoiler:
    adding Claude to the cave (as the series did) made quite a bit of sense, as he would be bitter and angry enough to pull the trigger in that environment.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

What did y'all think of the end-credits scene?

Spoiler:
    Holly with the large scratch on her forearm.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Spoiler:
    Season two coming soon!!!!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I didn't know that scene was there until I read this thread, went back and watched it, didn't see the scratch (my family did though).

I'm not sure what to make of it, logically. If the outsider is dead, the scratch means nothing, but if he isn't, then there we go. I guess we don't know enough about what the outsider is to know for sure that Ralph ended its life in the cave. Still, I didn't find that scene all that intriguing, and the ghost of Jack didn't make any sense to me at all.
    The whole thing felt tacked on. Honestly, even though I liked this adaptation, I'm kind of ready for it to be over; I don't need a season 2.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I didn't know that scene was there until I read this thread, went back and watched it, didn't see the scratch (my family did though).

I'm not sure what to make of it, logically. If the outsider is dead, the scratch means nothing, but if he isn't, then there we go. I guess we don't know enough about what the outsider is to know for sure that Ralph ended its life in the cave. Still, I didn't find that scene all that intriguing, and the ghost of Jack didn't make any sense to me at all.
    The whole thing felt tacked on. Honestly, even though I liked this adaptation, I'm kind of ready for it to be over; I don't need a season 2.
    Maybe so, but "If it Bleeds" is probably calling to them!!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Maybe so, but "If it Bleeds" is probably calling to them!!! lol
    I still have to get around to reading that.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...e-yul-vazquez/
    Actor Yul Vázquez stars in the new Hulu horror film Books of Blood, inspired by Clive Barker's series of short stories, which is only one of the latest genre projects fans can see him in this year, having also starred in the HBO series The Outsider, based on Stephen King's novel. With the series having covered nearly all of the events of the original novel, many audiences assumed that it would be a limited series event, but Vázquez recently confirmed that we shouldn't consider it a limited series, though he played coy about whether that means the series is definitely getting more seasons or if we can expect to see his character return.

"It's not a limited series," Vázquez shared with ComicBook.com during a recent interview in honor of Books of Blood. "I can't say anything about it, but all I can tell you is that it's not a limited series.

The 10-episode The Outsider follows police detective Ralph Anderson (Ben Mendelsohn), as he sets out to investigate the mutilated body of 11-year-old Frankie Peterson found in the Georgia woods. The mysterious circumstances surrounding this horrifying crime leads Ralph, still grieving the recent death of his own son, to bring in unorthodox private investigator Holly Gibney (Cynthia Erivo), whose uncanny abilities he hopes will help explain the unexplainable.

Like many stories set in the King universe, The Outsider connects to various other stories, with Holly Gibney being the figure who appears in other of the author's stories. Earlier this year, it was reported that the short story If It Bleeds, which sees the detective witnessing news of a school bombing, only for suspicions to be raised that the reporter covering the news could somehow have a connection to the tragedy, was earning an adaptation, which could be a new season of The Outsider.

Earlier this year, star and director Jason Bateman hinted that showrunner Richard Price was looking at ways to expand the series.

"Well I know that they’re talking about it and Richard Price is playing with some ideas and taking some first steps as to what that second year might and feel like," Bateman confirmed with Collider. "Obviously, it’s a complete free-ball because the first season exhausted 100% of [Stephen King’s] book, the IP. So, it’s really all up to him. I never like to step on the lawn of the writers. It’s something that I’ve always stuck with on Ozark. I leave Chris Mundy completely alone and I do my job as a director once I get the script. I chime in every once in a while and offer my opinion, but it’s always for the writer to take if they want and discard if they want."

As we wait to see what the future could hold for The Outsider, we can see Vázquez in Books of Blood.

Watch Books of Blood on Hulu on October 7th. Stay tuned for details on The Outsider.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://ew.com/tv/stephen-king-inter...-the-outsider/
    Between Mr. Mercedes and The Outsider, we're now in a world in which there are two Holly Gibneys on television, played by Justine Lupe and Cynthia Erivo. Which is closer to how you envisioned her?

[The Outsider showrunner] Richard Price's concept of Holly was a little bit different than mine. My Holly is kind of an obsessive-compulsive person who comes out of her shell a little by little as the books go forward, until she can stand on her own by the time you get to [her story in] If It Bleeds. One of the most interesting things when you watch [Mr. Mercedes] is you see how Holly's clothes change as the series goes on. You can see that confidence. It's genius to see her blossom in terms of what she wears and how her hair is and all that. Justine Lupe got into that character and did a terrific job with it because she had more time to develop Holly [across three seasons].

Cynthia may get that time, because there's going to be a second season of The Outsider as soon as they can get the production going. And she's terrific, but she's more someone who is kind of almost on the spectrum; a little bit of a savant with the memory of license plates and cars and baseball. One of the funniest things is she knows who's won all these baseball games going back to the '50s, but she never watches.

Millions of people watched The Outsider and now millions of people are going to have the opportunity to watch Mr. Mercedes, and Holly is the character that exists in both universes and I'm curious how people like it.

You mentioned how Holly evolved into the lead of a story in If It Bleeds. Has there been any interest in doing a standalone series on the character? Perhaps triple Hollys?

I don't think so. It's really complicated because of the difference in the two story lines makes it difficult to figure out how that could possibly be done in the world of Richard Price's creation of The Outsider. But if Mr. Mercedes was greenlit for a fourth season, that would be in the realm of possibility.

You mentioned The Outsider is doing a second season (note: HBO has not announced an official second season order). Obviously the first exhausted the material in the great book you wrote. Can you give fans a sense of where that story goes in season 2?

I know exactly where it's going because I have seen some of the scripts. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. I'll just say that it's really great and a real spooky paranormal element.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting news. Holly fan here.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Interesting news. Holly fan here.
    I prefer the portrayal in the Mr. Mercedes series.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The Outsider, starring Ben Mendelsohn and Cynthia Erivo, has been put into turnaround after HBO opted not to proceed with a second season. MRC, the studio behind the drama series adaptation of Stephen King’s novel, is taking Season 2 out to market.

>>> Source

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    The Outsider, starring Ben Mendelsohn and Cynthia Erivo, has been put into turnaround after HBO opted not to proceed with a second season. MRC, the studio behind the drama series adaptation of Stephen King’s novel, is taking Season 2 out to market.

>>> Source
    This does not surprise me. IT was good for the first episode.. maybe two. For some reason... King is near impossible to adapt it seems.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As an adaptation I thought it was pretty solid. If anything they made the conclusion more satisfying.

That being said, where could they go for a second season? I know some people are suggesting "If It Bleeds" but the story would have to be expanded and changed significantly (unless they want Ralph to be offscreen for the entire season and introduce Jerome and his sister instead).
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    As an adaptation I thought it was pretty solid. If anything they made the conclusion more satisfying.

That being said, where could they go for a second season? I know some people are suggesting "If It Bleeds" but the story would have to be expanded and changed significantly (unless they want Ralph to be offscreen for the entire season and introduce Jerome and his sister instead).
    I agree with you regarding the season one adaption. As far as the second season goes they could and probably should go with a wholly different storyline perhaps using "If It Bleeds" as a guideline of sorts.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The Outsider has been canceled by HBO.

But MRC could brings the show to another stream platform, like Netflix.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fitomad View Post

Yep. Was said above. So I tend to think that you forgot your link
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Gunslinger Apprentice fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

I didn’t notice cause I didn’t read the whole page, I only “scanned” in a fast way

No links from my website, I told you yesterday. Maybe you forget that ;-)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

I didn’t notice cause I didn’t read the whole page, I only “scanned” in a fast way

No links from my website, I told you yesterday. Maybe you forget that ;-)

Geez, is this what the new "Biden Era" attitude is going to be? We're jumping all over new members just for promoting a website in addition to theiir King fandom? C'mon, man we're a better community than that give the guy a chance!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast