Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Outsider - discussion and spoilers

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He’s said he doesn’t care about people being spoiled period because ‘it’s the journey that matters’ so that’s probably his mindset.

Regardless I have read a number of comments online from people who have been spoiled (including this thread) so it’s something that has been brought up. Even the Nocturnal Readers newsletter put out a message about it warning newcomers to be careful.

I'll also add that at this point King has been writing books longer than a number of his fans have even been alive and they would probably consider themselves 'constant readers' but still have yet to read all his work or are not reading his work in chronological order.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Traveler MarkAngel1974 is on a distinguished road

Hi all; I'm so green in here I must look like kermit - also: first post, so I'm hoping not to break any of the rules (yes, I've read them), but there's something I desparately need to find out.

I am well over the first half of the book, but I am reading it in Dutch, and there's a translation-thingy that's been bothering me. I'll try to ask without spoiling anything.

Grace Maitland give a description of something she saw out of her window, and I really want to know what the english description is for the eyes. I know the dutch word (as it is in my dutch version of the book), and I know the dictionary translation for it, but I need to know if SK used that very same word, please.

Hope someone can help.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Read The Outsider on holidays last week and found it really disappointing (perhaps not a surprise given i didn't enjoy the Bill Hodges trilogy).

It started out ok, and I liked the premise, but the introduction of the supernatural element just didn't fit for me with the story. SK can write so much better.

I'm hoping he's got this crime story stuff out of his system now with this fourth genre story and he returns now to the type of writing he does best.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just finished this. I really loved the first half of the book. I'm generally not into crime/detective type stories, and hated the Bill Hodges books. But this one started off so strong and really had me intrigued, then Holly enters and it completely went downhill for me. It seemed a bit jarring, and I really wish he had left this as a standalone book instead of bringing her into it. It just didn't work for me. And the ending was a bit too easily resolved as others have already mentioned. I was so disappointed by the time I finished it. It was definitely better than Sleeping Beauties, but I do wish the book had kept up the momentum of the first half. And I really do hope that King is done with these types of stories. I have no desire to read any more of them.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Holly's entrance is when the book goes downhill.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MarkAngel1974 View Post
    Hi all; I'm so green in here I must look like kermit - also: first post, so I'm hoping not to break any of the rules (yes, I've read them), but there's something I desparately need to find out.

I am well over the first half of the book, but I am reading it in Dutch, and there's a translation-thingy that's been bothering me. I'll try to ask without spoiling anything.

Grace Maitland give a description of something she saw out of her window, and I really want to know what the english description is for the eyes. I know the dutch word (as it is in my dutch version of the book), and I know the dictionary translation for it, but I need to know if SK used that very same word, please.

Hope someone can help.
    If I remember correctly she used the word "straw".
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished it a couple of days ago, and agree with most comments.
    • Liked the begining but it the investigation dragged and could have been trimmed
    • Thought the inclusion of Holly was unnecessary
    • Really hate how easy it is for the heroes to figure out all the need to about the villion based on very little evidence
    • Ending very anti-climatic and outsider seemed pathetic in person
    • annoyed by the Jack Hopkins (?? is that right name) character

It started out so well, but ends up in the top of the bottom half of his work.

Regarding spoilers, I don't think it would have hurt for SK or the publishers from putting in a warning at the beginning that it might spoil the Bill Hodges books if read out of order.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't really get the whole van stealing kid thing unless it was used to explain how the van got from Ohio to Texas. Which, now that I think about it, makes sense. I was really hoping the kid was the supernatural being. Agree the ending was super weak.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Re: the outsider's seemingly simple defeat: it was stated multiple times that he/it wasn't used to being identified and pursued and was in a weakened state. I agree that King has a problem with paper villains ("fushing feef," anyone?) but I don't consider this such a case.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2