Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Father Cody Non-King Collection

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    I’m only half way through this book and it’s so good I just had to get a first edition.
    I like the way you think

It's nice and fun to collect well-known books and famous authors - but it's a true bibliophile, who, upon reading a book that they enjoy, immediately starts looking for S/L or first edition copies. And signed, too!
    Ha! On a forum full of book collectors, what better compliment is there than being told you’re a true bibliophile? Thanks!
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Found a stack of my old comics I collected I think in my early teens. Nothing rare I’m sure but maybe they’re of interest to some here.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Some cool stuff there, Adam. Great that you hung onto them.

(Not a comics guy, but some of those issues are famous enough that even I know what they are)

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Some cool stuff there, Adam. Great that you hung onto them.

(Not a comics guy, but some of those issues are famous enough that even I know what they are)

HBJ
    Thanks, Peter! It’s funny how valuable nostalgically these things we used to collect are. They’re not worth the paper their printed on in some cases but it brought back a lot of memories... most of them were good, too! And I’m sure my son’s gonna love them!

My Mood
    Chatty

Default Father Cody Non-King Collection

I love this author’s work and, if you like diligently researched yet entertaining science fiction, I think you’d love it, too. I asked him if I could buy some ARCs and this showed up yesterday, free of charge, all the way from Australia. Check out those inscriptions!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not familiar with the author but those are excellent inscriptions. It is always exciting to be able to correspond with an author you like. Congrats on these.

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I'm not familiar with the author but those are excellent inscriptions. It is always exciting to be able to correspond with an author you like. Congrats on these.
    Thanks, Tim! It is pretty damn cool to chat it up with a favorite author. To ask questions about the stories is especially fun.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Thanks, Frank!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It is fun. I have had a few authors that I've contacted with and it's always a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Thanks, Tim! It is pretty damn cool to chat it up with a favorite author. To ask questions about the stories is especially fun.

My Mood
    Chatty

I’ve heard really good things about this book and when I went to find a reading copy I came across one with an inscription (or doodle?) that I couldn’t pass up. So I haven’t read it yet but who says we need to read everything we collect, right?

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I haven't heard anything about the book or author, but the inscription looks fun and the cover looks creepy. A nice addition, man.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Chatty

I haven't heard anything about the book or author, but the inscription looks fun and the cover looks creepy. A nice addition, man.
    For some damn reason, I miss the replies on this thread. I’m sorry, Peter, for just now responding. So this book... I’m in the middle of it now and I don’t know if I love it or despise the damn thing. Her writing style is unlike any other I’ve read. Very difficult to follow sometimes and often repetitive. But, I can’t put it down. So I’m just trying to get through it and find out what I really think. I don’t know if that makes any sense.

Traveler Rose_Mad-Hatter will become famous soon enough Rose_Mad-Hatter will become famous soon enough Rose_Mad-Hatter's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys are blowing my mind. I have a collection I am proud of , a couple of first editions and a couple of signed copies from the NRB. Nothing like this. Masterton is one of my other favourites. Very nice collection.

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_Mad-Hatter View Post
    You guys are blowing my mind. I have a collection I am proud of , a couple of first editions and a couple of signed copies from the NRB. Nothing like this. Masterton is one of my other favourites. Very nice collection.
    Haha thanks, Rose! I pretty much said the same thing when I joined this site. That’s great to hear that you’re proud of your collection. For us collectors, I don’t think there’s anything more important than that. Have you started a collection thread yet?

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

For some damn reason, I miss the replies on this thread. I’m sorry, Peter, for just now responding. So this book... I’m in the middle of it now and I don’t know if I love it or despise the damn thing. Her writing style is unlike any other I’ve read. Very difficult to follow sometimes and often repetitive. But, I can’t put it down. So I’m just trying to get through it and find out what I really think. I don’t know if that makes any sense.
    I have no idea about this book, but one of her Y/A selections, Buddha Boy, is a book we have all of our freshmen read. They like it pretty well. I thought it was pretty good. She came and spoke at our school a few years back. I was not impressed - she was winging it. Most disappointed given the money we were paying her.

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I have no idea about this book, but one of her Y/A selections, Buddha Boy, is a book we have all of our freshmen read. They like it pretty well. I thought it was pretty good. She came and spoke at our school a few years back. I was not impressed - she was winging it. Most disappointed given the money we were paying her.
    Sorry to hear that. I don’t know much about her aside from the fact she wrote The Cipher. It’s not surprising to hear she was winging it. Kind of felt like that sometimes when I was reading this. Seemed like there was some esoteric deeper meaning that I simply did not pick up on.

Traveler Rose_Mad-Hatter will become famous soon enough Rose_Mad-Hatter will become famous soon enough Rose_Mad-Hatter's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_Mad-Hatter View Post
    Haha thanks, Rose! I pretty much said the same thing when I joined this site. That’s great to hear that you’re proud of your collection. For us collectors, I don’t think there’s anything more important than that. Have you started a collection thread yet?

I haven’t yet. I will soon. Gotta get my shelves organised.

My Mood
    Chatty

Thanks to a buddy of mine who went to the Merrimack Valley Halloween Festival today, I have a couple really cool new inscriptions coming to my shelves.

First edition (hardcover) of “Occultation” by Laird Barron, an excellent collection of short stories:

First paperback edition of “My Best Friend’s Exorcism” by Grady Hendrix:

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hell yes - they’re awesome - especially my man Laird... congrats mate

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Hell yes - they’re awesome - especially my man Laird... congrats mate
    Thanks buddy! I’m really glad I took your advice to read Black Sloth. What would you recommend after Imago and Occultation?

My Mood
    Chatty

Default Father Cody Non-King Collection

Well, this came today. I broke my rule and watched the movie having not yet read it. Spoiler alert: it sucks. Should’ve known right at the start when Eminem-wannabe Machine Gun Kelly made his appearance. His most memorable line? “Fuckin fucked.” Anyway, I don’t mean to be negative Nancy but I just watched it last night and kept thinking, “this is why books are better.” I hope I’m right!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I never heard of the book or the movie!

Is that Cthulhu or Nyarlathotep guarding your Lovecraft paperbacks?
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I never heard of the book or the movie!

Is that Cthulhu or Nyarlathotep guarding your Lovecraft paperbacks?
    It’s supposed to be a great book. I think my taste in movies has changed dramatically since I started reading for pleasure so I could be judging it a bit harshly. It just seemed totally unbelievable. Which would be fine but I believe we were meant to think these people could actually do the things they were doing blindfolded.

Yep! That’s a little Cthulhu image I got off Etsy a while back. It’s plastic but (sort of) looks like it could be metallic. Here’s a better picture that really brings out the tear in that neighboring copy of The Dunwich Horror

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

It's eyes! I'm compelled to do unspeakable things, which I can't even type about!

Arkham House Lovecrafts can be worth a pretty penny.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast