Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How To: Clean soiled page edges

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

What can be done, if anything, for light mildew in the top edges of books? I have some that show staining and not sure the best way to remove it. It is in some older books with little value so I wanted to try to clean them and see how it works. Any advice is appreciated!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ajw2910 View Post
    What can be done, if anything, for light mildew in the top edges of books? I have some that show staining and not sure the best way to remove it. It is in some older books with little value so I wanted to try to clean them and see how it works. Any advice is appreciated!
    I'm assuming it is the top of the page block?

Always start by cleaning with dry methods before moving on to wet methods. Brush and vacuum the area. Use an eraser if that is indicated (Perhaps not with mildew.)

Isopropyl alcohol will kill live mildew and also help release soiling from the surface. Get the high alcohol content stuff which is over 90% alcohol. It evaporates quickly and minimizes the possibility of oversaturation. Use a clean white cloth to wet the area and then absorb the soiling. Work on small areas at a time. The alcohol will kill any live mildew and the white cloth will pick up the loosened soiling. Keep using a new dry area of the cloth to absorb the soiling released by the alcohol.

Another method, which should be practiced on inexpensive books first, (or perhaps exclusively) is to sand the edge of the page block. Use this as the method of last resort. If it comes to this, let me know and I'll help with more instructions.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Brian, I will try that and let you know.

Traveler Molly H. will become famous soon enough Molly H. will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

Newbie here, and this is my first comment!!!!
    Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this! I would have never known what to do. I have a few books (BCE's) to start out with. Thank you for sharing your insight!

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome!! Lots of good info all over this site!
    WANTED:
    Any DT S/L’s #181

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Molly H. View Post
    Newbie here, and this is my first comment!!!!
    Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this! I would have never known what to do. I have a few books (BCE's) to start out with. Thank you for sharing your insight!
    You're welcome. And welcome to the site!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2