Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How To: Clean soiled page edges

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default How To: Clean soiled page edges

I have achieved moderate to very good success cleaning soiled page edges using sandpaper. Here is what worked best for me:
    • Practice on a book of little value before attempting on an expensive book!
    • Remove dustjacket from book.
    • Cover book boards in construction or printer paper. You don’t want to accidentally sand and damage the board. I use bull clips to hold the paper in place on the boards.
    • Cut a piece of 220 grit sandpaper to the width of the page block. 6” in length for each piece is about right.
    • Holding the pages tightly, sand the soil/stain in one continuous stroke in one direction. You can reverse and do a stroke the other way, just don’t sand back and forth. Even stokes with pressure the full width of the page block works best. Most books a thumb is best, but larger books-The Stand, etc, require 2-3 fingers on the sandpaper.

This works really well on dust accumulation, spot soil, finger grease and light edge stains. It does not work well on liquid stains-they usually are far into the page, nor does it work very well on mold, mildew or speckles. It also can’t be used on books with rough page edges (Pet Sematary).

Here are a couple of examples:

Last edited by Randall Flagg; 12-17-2014 at 07:31 AM.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

What a difference!

The edges of the pages aren't roughed up afterward?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

No. The 220 grit sandpaper is rough enough to get the stain without damaging the page edges. Kind of like wood work. When you clear coat wood after staining, you use a fine grit to "polish" the coat.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That makes sense. Thanks.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

remarkable, er ah I mean wow those look great ! I have some books that need help thanks for the tip! Beautiful.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Yea, I’ve always heard about this practice, but I’ve never tried it. I really need to give it a try. I just noticed by UK book club Wizard & Glass looks pretty crappy on the top edge pages. It could use some work.

thanks for the post RF!
    Geoff

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the advice Jerome. Personally I'd be terrified of hurting my books though. I don't know if I could bring myself to try it. You did an amazing job with yours.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Does this only work on hardcover books?

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WOW..what a difference...think it would work on a "Marker" remainder?? But any ways great tip. Thanks

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    ...think it would work on a "Marker" remainder??
    Yes, but only to the top of the page. "felt markers" tend to seep beyond the top of the pages and in most cases (in my experience) can not be removed; only diminished.
    I could put forth a long diatribe regarding remainder marks, but alas tonight I am too tired to do so.

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I tried this on a old book that I took a marker to..it works, but you will do alot of "excavating" meaning you will create a dip where the mark was removed. I didn't try to blend it in but I think you would be able to see the dip by looking down the pages with book closed
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ink, like a remainder felt pen mark tends to leech into the page. The sanding works best on oil and dirt from fingers and accumulated dust-stuff that is really on the very outermost edge of the paper.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Does this work on foxing? I have a Skeleton Crew that has brow spots on the page edges.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not very well.

Gunslinger Apprentice Citizen of Lud is on a distinguished road Citizen of Lud's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have found that P600 sand paper which is usually used as a primary steep in polishing paint layers when painting a car or polishing plastic works the best. It does not change the outer texture or of the page ends and slowly removes material (harder to accidentally over do it).
    Looking For
    Dark Tower III through VII LSOE S/L or AE #1208
    Trade 1st/1st
    The Dead Zone
    Danse Macabre
    Cujo
    Carrie
    Firestarter
    Skeleton Crew
    Night Shift

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure if this is where this should go, but it's the best match I could find.

As I've been cleaning, Demco-ing and packing books I've found several with this problem:

They are from different bookcases, different rooms etc. Any ideas on what it is or how to get rid of?

I guess slipcases would prevent it, but you can't slipcase thousands of books...

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like dirt from rubbing on the shelf. I've noticed it on larger books where the text block starts to sag. You could try a magic eraser. I've used that on a couple books and worked nicely. But if it's a deeper then surface staining try what RF suggests in post 1.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I'll have to pick some up. I just don't think I can get myself to sand a book block...
    I'll let you know how it works.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Thanks. I'll have to pick some up. I just don't think I can get myself to sand a book block...
    I'll let you know how it works.
    Good luck. Hopefully it's just dirt and not stain from the wood.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone have suggestions on what eraser to use on a name and price (in pencil) in a limited edition? Should I leave it alone or try to erase it?

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

This and nothing else:

Three bucks at Staples. I can't even tell there was a price there and I know where to look for.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    This and nothing else:

Three bucks at Staples. I can't even tell there was a price there and I know where to look for.
    That's amazing. One of our campus art professors said the same thing. Picked it up, used it, and can't even tell it was there.

Thanks

Ralph

Country
    Country Flag

So - I picked up some magic erasers (Mr. Clean). Do you really wet it first? Or is there some other magic eraser?

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't wet it. (Didn't know you were supposed to, not that I would have with a book). Mine just had light soiling and the magic eraser worked nicely for me.

Country
    Country Flag

OK. I rubbed it gently with the first one and it just crumbled. So, tried the second eraser. It stayed together but really didn't do anything. I guess it must be something different, but thanks for the idea.
    They do work really well on the stove...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast