Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firestarter S/L: # copies on each date

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Firestarter S/L: # copies on each date

NOTE: The newest update will always be at the very bottom of this first post

We started having a conversation in the Current Market Value thread about the number of copies that were signed on each date. I think it's a pretty neat problem and I'm wondering if we can compile a more accurate list than has been put together so far.

The assumption going into this is that the books were signed sequentially, so, for example, if #170 was dated July 6, then any copies with a greater number must have been signed on the 6th or later.

I made a preliminary pass from the data on stephenkingcollector.com that amd013 helpfully posted, which was the following:

Quote Originally Posted by stephekingcollector.com

http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/...restarter.html

001 - 109 July 5th
    110 - 166 ???
    167 - 367 July 6th
    368 - 373 ???
    374 - 589 July 7th
    590 - 608 ???
    609 - 725 July 8th
    This is my logic: if the highest number for July 5 was #109 and the lowest for July 6 was #167, we know that there are at least 109 copies signed on the 5th (because copy 110 could have theoretically been the first one signed on the 6th) and at most 166 copies signed on the 5th (because copy #167 was definitely signed on the 6th). Other numbers are extrapolated from there.

This led to the following estimated number of copies signed on each day:
    July 5: 109-166
    July 6: 200-264
    July 7: 215-241
    July 8: 116-136

RF kindly pointed me to the catalog, which shows that #163 was signed on July 6th.

This results in the following updated ranges:

July 5: 109-162 copies signed (15-22% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 1
    Maximum number = 109-162
    July 6: 206-264 copies signed (28-36% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 110-163
    Maximum number = 367-373
    July 7: 216-241 copies signed (30-33% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 368-374
    Maximum number = 589-608
    July 8: 116-136 copies signed (16-19% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 590-609
    Maximum number = 725

I would love to hear everyone's numbers, but especially those that fall in any of the missing ranges: 110-162, 368-373, 590-608. I know that there are a few people who have the whole set and a few people with multiples, so don't be shy! Also I'm betting that there are some folks out there who have knowledge of previous sales and auctions that can help out.

While I'm eager to hear what people recollect, I won't change the numbers based on "I'm pretty sure I remember", etc., I will only change it if you have the book in hand or some other valid proof like a screenshot or spreadsheet that you keep. I don't need to see it (unless you want to post it!), I just don't want to make updates based on memory alone.

Rumors are fun so it would be interesting to have people share what they've heard

And feel free to repost pics of your own copies here!

I'll update the current range in the section below, as new data comes in:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOST RECENT ESTIMATES, 3/28/2018

July 5: 109-162 copies signed (15-22% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 1
    Maximum number = 109-162
    Minimum number = 110-162
    Maximum number = 367-373
    Minimum number = 368-374
    Maximum number = 589-608
    Minimum number = 590-609
    Maximum number = 725

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOST RECENT ESTIMATES, 12/13/2019
    Based on updated SK Collector numbers, which I don't love as I can't verify them, but c'est la vie

July 5: 125-162 copies signed (17-22% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 1
    Maximum number = 126-162
    Minimum number = 110-162
    Maximum number = 367-373
    Minimum number = 368-374
    Maximum number = 589-608
    Minimum number = 590-609
    Maximum number = 725

MOST RECENT ESTIMATES, 6/2/2020
    Based on a recently posted picture of #593 being signed on July 7th
    July 5: 125-162 copies signed (17-22% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 1
    Maximum number = 126-162
    Minimum number = 110-162
    Maximum number = 367-373
    Minimum number = 368-374
    Maximum number = 593-608
    July 8: 116-136 copies signed (16-18% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 594-609
    Maximum number = 725

MOST RECENT ESTIMATES, 6/2/2020 UPDATE 2
    Based on forum member Ivo sharing that #597 is from July 7th
    Adding a decimal to the percentages, now that we're at the races
    (Also fixed a small error)

July 5: 125-162 copies signed (17.2-22.3% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 1
    Maximum number = 125-162
    July 6: 205-247 copies signed (28.3-34.1% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 126-162
    Maximum number = 367-373
    July 7: 223-240 copies signed (30.8-33.1% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 368-374
    Maximum number = 597-608
    July 8: 116-127 copies signed (16.0-17.5% of all copies)
    Minimum number = 598-609
    Maximum number = 725
    Last edited by lotuz; 01-06-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I have #8 signed on the first day that I fairly recently acquired from the publisher.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If one reads and believes the limitation page for the S/L, King not only signed the books (or the limitation pages), but he numbered them too. Copy #163 shown in The Catalog sure looks like King's handwriting for the number itself.

If in fact King dated them as well as signing them, that might clarify (or muddle) the whole issue.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I have copy 699, dated July 8, 1980, with a dust wrapper that has two tears, as received from the publisher, and the memory of walking past Phantasia Press's dealers table at a science fiction convention here shortly thereafter with at least 50 of the books piled up on their table. Why I didn't buy at least one more I'll never know. (I do have a spare dust wrapper, which I just couldn't get myself to put on the book, it looks so nice unfolded)
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I own #588 July 7th signed by King and Whelan

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have #15. I assume it's dated July 5. I also have a spare dust jacket that is signed by Michael Whelan in gold ink.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice billstand is just really nice billstand is just really nice billstand is just really nice billstand is just really nice

# 691 signed July 8th

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will take any date.... lol I need a fine one. Mine was def not...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Mine is July 7th #541 ,and also inscribed and signed again by King. Plus it is also signed by Michael Whelan. It also has a small inscription and is signed again by King.
    Last edited by MikeDuke; 06-03-2020 at 04:48 AM.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have 527 from July 7
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure if this thread wants to identify all owners' numbers or just those numbers that come close to the previous date parameters. I'll just add what I have.

5 July -- #33
    6 July -- #195
    7 July -- #515
    8 July -- #713

My lettered edition was signed on 8 July.

John

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have copy #281 on July 6

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

July 5th-11
    July 6th-309
    July 7th-376
    July 8th-618

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I have #458 signed 7/7. Right in the range you assumed.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Again mine was signed on 7/7 and is number #541. Mine is also inscribed by King and signed by Michael.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Slightly updated totals in the original post! Saw a picture of #593 that was signed July 7 so that gives us a new lower limit for the July 8 copies

Gunslinger Apprentice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Slightly updated totals in the original post! Saw a picture of #593 that was signed July 7 so that gives us a new lower limit for the July 8 copies
    Happy that my #593 helped update the info! It’s awesome that you are watching out for missing numbers that pop up!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunslinger Apprentice Ivo will become famous soon enough Ivo will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused

Just picked up #597, dated July 7th.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
    Just picked up #597, dated July 7th.
    Two updates in one day!! Getting on this!!

Country
    Country Flag

Today was actually a really informative jump because both of the books were signed on the upper end of the July 7th block, shrinking the potential size of the July 8th block. Now it is almost certain that July 8 is the rarest day!

Pretty much the only way that July 5th could be the rarest day is if the highest book in the July 5th block is #125 and the lowest book on July 8th is at most #600.

It's also technically possible that the highest book on July 5th is #127 and the lowest on July 8th is #599 in which case both days would have 127 books (17.5%).

+ Reply to Thread