Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Elevation-New Stephen King Book October 2018

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    He should have called it Vegan Lesbian Lovers in Big Bad Trumpville.
    Sounds like I'll enjoy this book...

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I guess I'm not the only one who sees politics in King's novels. I may (or may not) agree with his views, but I really liked ELEVATION, and I found it a nice tribute to Richard Matheson, whose novels, etc. I also like A LOT.

I also liked SLEEPING BEAUTIES, which I just read a short time ago. In fact, I almost couldn't put it down, and it's not because I spilled Crazy Glue on my fingers either.

EDIT - I do agree that LISEY'S STORY (to me) is his worst book. I can't sugarcoat it, I absolutely hated it.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Just finished it. I hated it. It will go down as bottom three for me. Along with Liseys Story and Regulators. The whole book is nothing but SK forcing his political commentary down your throat, with poorly drawn, cookie-cutter cliche characters in a Matheson ripoff.
    Under The Dome is the most blatant of SK's politically driven novels. His over the top portrayal of Big Jim Rennie and Andy Sanders as caricatures of Dick Cheney and George W. Bush was unimaginative and predictable. The book should have been titled Straw Man.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Lisey’s Story was great.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Lisey’s Story was great.
    No.......................................it wasn't!!!

Spoiler:
    Sorry, but facts are facts.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I never picked up on the politics in UTD, but I REALLY like that book. I was caught up in the story, although I gave up on the TV series after the 3rd season. Can't win 'em all, I guess.
    I just didn't like the characters in LISEY'S STORY. Especially Lisey and her husband. All the made up expressions really irritated me and I was nauseated when she ate Hamburger Helper, or whatever it was. BUT - since the book really affected me emotionally the way it did it succeeded 100% on that level.
    I also liked THE REGULATORS, although I can't recall much about it, which always makes re-reads more enjoyable.
    The King books I liked the least (which is a polite way of saying I didn't like them) are THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON, THE COLORADO KID, THE SONG OF SUSANNAH and THE DARK TOWER. Oh yeah, didn't much care for FROM A BUICK 8 either.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have an ELEVATION UK Review Copy for sale with the Review Letter from the Publisher.
    If anyone is interested?

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Some people can’t be rational when it comes to politics - this whole weird thing about LGBTQ’s being discriminated against in America under trump is just utter crap.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I won't comment on the politics in other works, but I also quite like Lisey's Story. Being married to a woman whose first language is not English, we have a private language full of words borrowed from - or spawned from the unnatural coupling of - both languages, which only we and our son understand. King captured that perfectly in this novel.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON, THE COLORADO KID, THE SONG OF SUSANNAH and THE DARK TOWER. Oh yeah, didn't much care for FROM A BUICK 8 either.
    Of those, the only ones I did like were TGWLTG and DT7.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Just finished it. I hated it. It will go down as bottom three for me. Along with Liseys Story and Regulators. The whole book is nothing but SK forcing his political commentary down your throat, with poorly drawn, cookie-cutter cliche characters in a Matheson ripoff.
    Under The Dome is the most blatant of SK's politically driven novels. His over the top portrayal of Big Jim Rennie and Andy Sanders as caricatures of Dick Cheney and George W. Bush was unimaginative and predictable. The book should have been titled Straw Man.
    The politics in UTD were heavy handed, but I enjoyed the story, so it didn’t really bother me. I just felt like the story was secondary to the political message, and was almost an afterthought.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    The politics in UTD were heavy handed, but I enjoyed the story, so it didn’t really bother me. I just felt like the story was secondary to the political message, and was almost an afterthought.
    100% agree.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Some people can’t be rational when it comes to politics - this whole weird thing about LGBTQ’s being discriminated against in America under trump is just utter crap.
    Trump is already trying to stop transgender people from serving in the military for starters.

Anyways IMO the politics in Elevation compared to UTD and Sleeping Beauties were mild beyond "Gay people are people too" which is inoffensive as you can get. It's the King equivalent of a Hallmark movie.

If people are bothered by something as soft as this I wonder how they felt about the gay hate crime chapter in "It" or all the commentary on racism with Mike and Henry.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read Elevation yet so I'm not sure of your context here but my first reaction is what the actual fuck?

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Trump is already trying to stop transgender people from serving in the military for starters.

Anyways IMO the politics in Elevation compared to UTD and Sleeping Beauties were mild beyond "Gay people are people too" which is inoffensive as you can get. It's the King equivalent of a Hallmark movie.

If people are bothered by something as soft as this I wonder how they felt about the gay hate crime chapter in "It" or all the commentary on racism with Mike and Henry.
    You pointed out a key difference between It and Elevation. It is an incredible book. And the politics fit not only the time of the story but also don’t shove some sort of agenda in your face. I understand king has every right to use politics in his book but when he shoves it in your face it’s not fun as a reader and it’s not fun as a member of the group that supposedly has all this hate and animosity towards members of the LGBTQ community. Just because some extreme right wingers say stupid shit doesn’t mean all conservatives are extremists which is what mainstream media and some liberals in general would have you believe.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post

You pointed out a key difference between It and Elevation. It is an incredible book. And the politics fit not only the time of the story but also don’t shove some sort of agenda in your face. I understand king has every right to use politics in his book but when he shoves it in your face it’s not fun as a reader and it’s not fun as a member of the group that supposedly has all this hate and animosity towards members of the LGBTQ community. Just because some extreme right wingers say stupid shit doesn’t mean all conservatives are extremists which is what mainstream media and some liberals in general would have you believe.
    Not to make this too much an overtly political discussion, but I read and enjoyed Elevation and at no point did I believe that King was painting "All conservatives as extremists". He simply told a story that contained some bigoted people, this isn't new for King nor is it an attack on Trump. Outside of the context of the story, those that follow King's social media clearly know his stance on the current POTUS, but I think you're conflating the two if you believe Elevation is overtly attacking Trump, because it isn't.

It's funny, if King happens to write about a white man who turns out to be a serial killer, there's no backlash from his readership claiming "King is painting all white men as Serial Killers!", because that isn't what he's doing, he's simply telling a story wherein a character happens to be white and a serial killer - But conversely if his story contains a visibly minority, or overtly bigoted characters, a portion of the same readership infer their own impression on what those characters represent, feel personally attacked, and are compelled to respond with; "THIS IS TOO POLITICAL, STOP CRAMMING IT DOWN OUR THROATS!" which I find patently absurd.

Why can't it simply be a story that includes some gay people, and some people who discriminate against them as a basis for a plot device?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I really need to read Elevation.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Indeed. It's fantastic, in line with his more literary, human interest yarns with a supernatural element to it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Indeed. It's fantastic, in line with his more literary, human interest yarns with a supernatural element to it.
    That description sounds a bit like Lisey's Story, which I quite like but seemingly everyone else detests.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That description sounds a bit like Lisey's Story, which I quite like but seemingly everyone else detests.

I started liking Lisey's Story after I got past about the first 350 pages. That was liking running through wet cement.

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought Liseys was as bad as a Koontz book..... but whatever floats your boat

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like it too. But, according to Chad, my boat will float down to a drain where a weird clown will pull my arm off! Damn you, Chad
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I like it too. But, according to Chad, my boat will float down to a drain where a weird clown will pull my arm off! Damn you, Chad
    Exactly!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2