Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ender's Saga by Orson Scott Card

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never even heard of this!
    Anyone care to summarize what (and where and when) it's about? without spoilers of course.
    and who's the main audience for this series? Male/Female, kids/youth/adult etc.
    thanks in advance.
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

From Wikipedia (in regards to the first book in the series, Ender's Game) -

---

Ender's Game (1985) is a well-known science fiction novel by American author Orson Scott Card.[1] The book originated as the novelette "Ender's Game", published in the August 1977 issue of Analog Science Fiction and Fact.[2] Elaborating on characters and plot lines depicted in the novel, Card later wrote additional books to form the Ender's Game series. Card released an updated version of Ender's Game in 1991, changing some political facts to accurately reflect the times.

Set in Earth's future, the novel presents an imperiled humankind who have barely survived two conflicts with the Formics (an insectoid alien race also known as the "Buggers"). In preparation for an anticipated third invasion, an international fleet maintains a school to find and train future fleet commanders. The world's most talented children, including the novel's protagonist Ender Wiggin, are taken at a very young age to a training center known as the Battle School. There, teachers train them in the arts of war through increasingly difficult games including ones undertaken in zero gravity in the Battle Room where Ender's tactical genius is revealed.

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks feverish, since noone replied I went to wikipedia myself a few days ago
    Looks interesting, my list of books to check out keeps growing.
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's bizarre because when I read the back of the book (Ender's Game), it doesn't really seem like something that I particullary would be interested in (I am not a fan of war, or space in general) but I picked up this book and the entire story has been my favorite. The charecters, plot, and the way it was written is just so great. You'll really feel for Ender.
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just read Ender's Game for the first time! I really liked it. I got pissed though, Matt does this thing where he says "oh, I predicted the twist like halfway through, it's pretty predictable" and then I don't and I feel like an idiot.... Did anyone else think it was predictable?

Traveler necromanticize is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Ohhh I love these books.
    I have read
    Ender's Game
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind

My ex let me borrow Ender in Exile but I haven't even started it...I'm still working on two other books!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post
    Did anyone else think it was predictable?
    I didn't think it was /that/ predictable, I myself didn't guess what what the twist was going to be until a few pages prior to the revealing. After I read the twist though I thought of how much sense it made to have approached it the way they did.

I think Matt is just a book snob

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

HE IS.

And yeah, it did make sense... but I didn't see it coming. I kind of feel like I should have, but I guess I was just so focused on "what's gonna happen next!" that I wasn't really analyzing the plot on the way. Actually, the more I think about it the more I feel I really should have seen it coming. Oh well.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Are you planning on continuing with the series?

Country
    Country Flag

Yep! Matt found a good deal on Amazon and got the next three I think. Just gotta wait....

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent! Be sure to branch out to Bean's story as well, if you haven't done so already. He is more than worthy of his own series.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't think it was that predictable when I first read it, I was younger....I felt like I should have, and the book was winding down. I knew something was going to happen...I think I might have known that
    spoils
    but I didn't know how he'd do it.
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Country
    Country Flag

I kind of thought
    Spoiler:
    It was going to be a cliffhanger, like he wins and then the buggers attack something or other and cut to next book where he saves humanity, or at least starts the process. I dunno. I also thought maybe the buggers were actually the Americans or whatever trying to destroy the Russians without letting anyone know that's what they were doing. Or that the buggers were humans from far away in funky suits. I dunno. I think strange things.

Traveler Hoot is on a distinguished road

I've only read the 'main' story arc, Game, Speaker, Xenocide, and Children. I loved them dearly. I haven't tried the other ones because eh... I usually don't enjoy those kind of "side stories".
    My favorite of them all was Xenocide though. Mostly because of the story arc of that really disciplined place with the daughter and the father.... [Names elude me right now... I can't remember squat. Argh. I guess I have to reread after I finish the Dark Tower.]

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Read the Bean series. The first book is the only one to be side story. And you find out all kinds of stuff you didn't know about what was going on in Ender's Game. But after that it is a totally different story line. Basically what happens on Earth after the war. Suddenly we don't all have one common enemy anymore.....

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Telynn, the Bean series are just as great, I consider the 8 all together...
    -Orson Scott Card

Country
    Country Flag

I just read Speaker for the Dead, I really enjoyed it, although things got a little too technical for me at the end. I'm not sure if I just didn't grasp it, or if it didn't really make sense and he was trying to make it anyway. Maybe I just need a reread.

Matt's bringing me Xenocide tomorrow. Yay.

Country
    Country Flag

I finished all the Ender books and read the first two of the Bean series.

Ender's Game is still the best. No question.

Ender's Shadow was pretty good and it answered some things. Shadow of the Hegemon... I don't know. Too much politics for me.

Also, has anyone else noticed Card has a SERIOUS continuity issue?! His details keep changing. People's ages change. I can't remember specifics right now, but the man needs a better editor or something to keep him in line. It's like he doesn't remember his own books and just makes shit up. Oh, the one that bugged me the most?
    Spoiler:
    In SotH, they were talking about how Ender grew up in Greensboro. NO HE DID NOT. They moved there after he was sent to Battle School.
    That's a really big fucking mistake!

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read them quite a long time ago, but I still remember the deep impact Speaker for the Dead did to me. There's only a few books in your life that really change profoundly your way of thinking. SftD did that to me, managing to shake my thoughts about dead people. Everyone has their reasons why they did things they did. Mind you, I was young when I read it - should consider a reread. ha!

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Country
    Country Flag

I just found out Card wrote yet ANOTHER Ender book, about the time in between Ender's game and Speaker. I'm interested but afraid it's going to suck.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Are any of you guys reading the Ender's Game/Shadow comics? They're fucking awesome!

Bean

Country
    Country Flag

I did not know there were comics.

I'm intrigued, but don't want to spend a ton of money.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if any of you knew about this, but I saw that Card recently wrote another Ender book, about his time between Ender's Game and Speaker.

I'm debating if I want to find it or not, it might be terrible. But it might also be great.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

it's short stories, and it's ok.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, can't believe this thread has been dormant for two years !

Anyway, I just picked up Shadow Puppets last night. It's been a little under 3 years since I read the last book in the Bean series so I'll probably wikipedia the events of Shadow of the Hegemon to give my memory a jump start. Can't wait to start it. I'll probably follow it up with Ender's Xenocide.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast