Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ender's Saga by Orson Scott Card

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I left off on Speaker for the Dead in Ender's Saga. You guys are saying I should cry off the rest the series?

I don't think I can do that. Not knowing how Ender's journey ends would kill me.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Keep going. Yeah, it's not the best, but it's not so freaking awful it's unreadable.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    Yeah, I'm not thrilled with Ender (just looking at that kid, I want to punch him in the face)
    lol my reaction wasnt quite as extreme but I do think they could have chosen someone a but more intense and less wimpy looking

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I guess Card has written a trilogy about the events BEFORE Ender.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/eart...ASE_TUESDAY-_-
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"The mining ship El Cavador..."

Mining for royalties, I suppose.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigSchu22 is on a distinguished road BigSchu22's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't even know this thread existed! I just finished reading most of the books in the Ender and Shadow series. Here's the list of what I just read and order:

Ender's Shadow
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Shadow Puppets
    Shadow of the Giant
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind
    Ender in Exile
    Shadows in Flight

I read the shadow series first since I had already read the 4 Ender books about 2 years before. After the shadow series, I went back to the Ender books skipping Ender's game since Ender's shadow has a lot of the same events. Then, it was a natural progression from the Ender books to Ender in Exile. Shadows in Flight was last simply because it hadn't been released yet.

Earth Unaware comes out soon, what do you guys think about that one? Should I get it?
    Scorpius: Kill her. Then we'll have pizza and margarita shooters. Go on, John. Kill her. Do it. Do it.
    John Crichton: [aims gun at Scorpius instead] Nobody has margaritas with pizza.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I just wanted to add that I greatly enjoyed the Shadow Series. It seems a lot of people are indifferent to it or didn't like it at all. Since I'm in the military, I really enjoyed all the discussions of the different strategies and tactics that the various nations would use against each other. Card says in one of his afterwards that he played a lot of Risk and it shows, the details as far as the war on Earth are amazing.

Going into the Shadow Series immediately after Ender's Game would probably be a good idea since it takes place chronologically after EG, but before SotH. I found my order particularly good, all of the details of each story were clear in my mind anyway.
    Scorpius: Kill her. Then we'll have pizza and margarita shooters. Go on, John. Kill her. Do it. Do it.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I'm sure I said this already, but I thought the Shadow series was the best, although as a stand alone book Ender's Game is my favorite.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I was kinda lukewarm on Shadow Puppets to be honest. Is Shadow of the Giant better?

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I thought it was, but you might not think so. In case you didn't know the newest books tie the 2 series together.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, the last book was supposed to tie everything together, but Card got greedy or his publishers did and split the last book into two books: Shadows in Flight and Shadows Alive. From what I remember, Shadows in Flight didn't tie anything together and actually kind of retcons some stuff from some of the later Ender books. Oh, Shadows in Flight is a Bean book, but Ender is briefly mentioned. Hopefully, Shadows Alive will tie the two series together and shed a little more light on the Descoladores.

My Mood
    Breezy

I meant the last Ender book, Ender in Exile.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh OK. Yeah Ender in Exile did, you're right. I hope they pickup with Bean's legacy from Ender in Exile, in Shadows Alive, if you know what I mean by Bean's legacy.

My Mood
    Breezy

Yes, lol. I haven't read Shadows in flight, tbh I didn't even know it was out until you posted about it. I'll be buying it soon.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Yes, lol. I haven't read Shadows in flight, tbh I didn't even know it was out until you posted about it. I'll be buying it soon.
    SiA is pretty short. I wish they had not broken it out of Shadows Alive, but I did enjoy returning to Bean for brief time and spending some time with his family.

Traveler Fox92 is on a distinguished road Fox92's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, guys!
    Well, the thread is a bit forgotten, but maybe someone's still interested in it... Is anybody waiting for the upcoming movie?
    Actually, I'm a little confused here I've read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, and now I'm thinking what is better to go on with - Shadow of the Hegemon or Speaker for the Dead? A lot of people don't like Speaker, but I wanted more Ender than Bean in the story, to be honest. But maybe there is enough Ender in Shadow of the Hegemon? Which book is more interesting in the whole?

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

There is very little Ender in Shadow of the Hegemon, only passing references IIRC. That novel continues the story of Bean on Earth while Ender is basically just (time) travelling on a space ship. If you want to read about Ender, go with Speaker for the Dead. No question.

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I loved ENDER'S GAME and SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD. The rest of the series and series spinoffs that I read left me cold.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I loved ENDER'S GAME and SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD. The rest of the series and series spinoffs that I read left me cold.
    Same here, pretty much. I did like Ender's Shadow quite a bit, and Xenocide to a certain extent. The rest of the Shadow series? Not so much. And I still haven't finished Children of the Mind.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fox92 View Post
    A lot of people don't like Speaker, but I wanted more Ender than Bean in the story, to be honest.
    Don't let the naysayers deter you, Speaker is a great novel. Just know that Ender is much, much older in that. It's great to see him grapple with the ethical ramifications of his exploits in EG.

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, guys)
    Okay, Speaker's waiting for me

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    A lot of people don't like Speaker, but I wanted more Ender than Bean in the story, to be honest.
    Don't let the naysayers deter you, Speaker is a great novel. Just know that Ender is much, much older in that. It's great to see him grapple with the ethical ramifications of his exploits in EG.
    Wow, that sounds great!)
    Well, I think all Card's works are great novels, each in its own way...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, guys!
    Well, the thread is a bit forgotten, but maybe someone's still interested in it... Is anybody waiting for the upcoming movie?
    Actually, I'm a little confused here I've read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, and now I'm thinking what is better to go on with - Shadow of the Hegemon or Speaker for the Dead? A lot of people don't like Speaker, but I wanted more Ender than Bean in the story, to be honest. But maybe there is enough Ender in Shadow of the Hegemon? Which book is more interesting in the whole?
    wow, my Fox is back!!! Too bad bears can't comment, they haven't read it...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy

I don't see all the hate the Bean novels get, I thought as a series the shadow series is best. I did enjoy the Ender books though. Harrison, it's good to see you around again.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    I don't see all the hate the Bean novels get, I thought as a series the shadow series is best. I did enjoy the Ender books though. Harrison, it's good to see you around again.
    Thanks, bro. I for one definitely don't hate the Shadow books or I wouldn't have finished them all. I just found myself progressively less interested in the story and less involved with the characters as the series progressed, but the same was true of the Ender saga. I think the first books of both series are far and away the best, and I'm looking forward to the movie. That first trailer looks pretty cool.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast