Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A new 'Salem's Lot adaptation is happening

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default A new 'Salem's Lot adaptation is happening

http://screenrant.com/stephen-king-s...lot-the-stand/
    Stephen King teases new adaptations of his classic novels Salem’s Lot and The Stand. Beginning with his very first book – 1974’s Carrie – King has been a popular target for adaptation by Hollywood, with his work having been turned into films and TV shows literally dozens of times. Some of these adaptations have been amazing, some have been decent, and some have been downright awful, but that never seems to discourage studios from wanting to try and craft the next big King-based hit.

That strategy sure worked out well for Warner Bros., with their R-rated adaptation of King’s IT currently hauling in cash by the truckload. Director Andy Muschietti’s film is rapidly approaching the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office, cementing it as one of the most successful horror properties of all time. Muschietti has recently expressed interest in directing a new adaptation of Pet Sematary as well, perhaps setting himself up as Hollywood’s new go-to director for King material.

While it remains to be seen if Muschietti’s wish to direct Pet Sematary will come true, King himself spoke to Vulture recently, and during the chat, the horror master teased possible new adaptations of both Salem’s Lot and The Stand. Here’s what the iconic author had to say.

“There’s talk about doing The Stand as an extended TV series, possibly for Showtime or CBS All Access, and there’s been some interest in developing Salem’s Lot as a feature, probably because people are saying, “Well, we took an old miniseries called IT and turned it into a phenomenon, so maybe we can do it with something else.” Nothing succeeds like excess!”

Salem’s Lot – King’s second novel, released in 1975 – has actually been adapted twice before, both as TV miniseries. The first of those came in 1979, and is today well-remembered for some especially creepy sequences, although the pacing can sometimes drag. The second starred Rob Lowe as protagonist Ben Mears, and aired on TNT in 2004. Most seem to prefer the 1979 Salem’s Lot, but the 2004 version has its fans as well. The Stand – King’s fourth novel, released in 1978 – was adapted into a miniseries for ABC in 1994, which is generally well-regarded by fans.

As King points out, the idea of turning Salem’s Lot into a feature makes sense, as IT proved that a King miniseries can translate well over to the big screen. Interestingly, King’s mention of doing The Stand as a TV series seems to suggest that director Josh Boone’s feature adaptation of the post-apocalyptic novel is completely dead, after being officially put on hold in early 2016. Perhaps that’s for the best, as a series format would likely enable much more of King’s gargantuan book to be adapted.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do we really need another one?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't mind one. The Rob Lowe one actually made me angry at how awful it was.

Citizen of Gilead Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja's Avatar

Well, there are talks about one. It's far from a done deal...

Lilja

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've enjoyed both previous ones to some extent, but I'd really like a great one that was faithful to the novel and creepy (as the novel) without being in the least hokey (as the first adaptation was, in parts).

I'm always initially excited about adaptations because I always picture them being done right. SL has a pretty compact plot; if they stick to what's there, they could have a tense, creepy, scary movie on their hands. Let's hope they resist the temptation to get creative with this.
    Last edited by St. Troy; 04-24-2019 at 06:04 AM.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

James Cromwell was great casting for Callahan, shame they ruined the character.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default 'Salem's Lot remake

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ms-lot-1204201

James Wan and Gary Dauberman, the respective producer and writer collaborators behind many of the biggest hits of the Conjuring horror universe, are teaming to adapt the novel for New Line.

Dauberman will write the script and serve as executive producer. Wan will produce, along with Roy Lee and Mark Wolper.

The new project has no director at this stage, though both Wan and Dauberman could make compelling candidates.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Intriguing. I like the atmosphere of the Conjuring movies; this could work.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Charles Dance aka Tywin Lannister = Barlow

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Would love to see them maintain the timeframe (mid-70s, no cell phone etc), film the movie in and around Durham and Lisbon Falls and use original model and inspiration for the Marsten House...

Shiloh Church, Durham, ME:

Harmony (Hill) Grove Cemetery, Durham, ME:

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That would be good, but I think it will likely be set in the present day. (Those locations would still work.)

Might not be a bad thing, mind you, done right. You'd need to get round the fact a small town in the sticks (ripe for the plucking with nobody even aware) would be less remote nowadays in the internet/cellphone age, but towers can mysteriously break down... etc...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Not much new here, really, but a mention of Salem's Lot in a discussion with Gary Dauberman (screenwriter on the upcoming SL adaptation as well as the modern It adaptations): https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...vision-1220872

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Not much new here, really, but a mention of Salem's Lot in a discussion with Gary Dauberman (screenwriter on the upcoming SL adaptation as well as the modern It adaptations): https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...vision-1220872
    Nice piece, thanks for sharing!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://deadline.com/2020/04/stephen...by-1202905867/
    Deadline has confirmed that Annabelle Comes Home director Gary Dauberman is also taking the reins of the New Line feature adaptation of Stephen King’s Salem’s Lot. Dauberman was already adapting the 1975 horror novel for the big screen for producers James Wan, Roy Lee and Mark Wolper.

Dauberman will also be EP. He previously worked with Wan writing the Annabelle franchise, and made his feature directorial debut on last summer’s Annabelle Comes Home.

Salem’s Lot follows a writer named Ben Mears who returns to the town of Jerusalem’s Lot (or Salem’s Lot for short) in Maine, where he had lived from the age of 5 through 9, only to discover that the residents are becoming vampires.

Previous iterations of Salem’s Lot included a 1979 miniseries, a 1987 small-screen follow-up and a two-part TNT series in 2004.

Warner Bros had a hit in its big screen take on King’s 1986 novel It, which they split up into two movies, amassing $1.17 billion worldwide between both pics. However, the studio’s take on Shining sequel Doctor Sleep tanked with $72.3 million worldwide despite great reviews at 77% certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And King didnt seem too happy about that idea
    >>> https://twitter.com/StephenKing/stat...30349439537159

Which makes me wonder why that comment.
    I thought he did a terrific job on IT Chapter 1. IT Chapter 2 was good but didnt do as well on the box office.
    But then maybe King read his script and didnt like it, but cant really do much given the rights are not tied up to him anymore?
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

I think he's just referring to how the previous versions weren't that faithful. The last one for example had Callahan turning evil.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

I thought he did a terrific job on IT Chapter 1. IT Chapter 2 was good but didnt do as well on the box office.
    But then maybe King read his script and didnt like it, but cant really do much given the rights are not tied up to him anymore?
    Keep in mind he barely had anything to do with the script for Chapter 1 (about 10% was his) and Chapter 2's biggest failure was the weak writing when it comes to plot structure, character and dialogue. I have very little hope for a Salem's Lot by him, and will probably skip it because I can't bare to witness this amazingly creepy story being butchered again.

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by georgiesarm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

Keep in mind he barely had anything to do with the script for Chapter 1 (about 10% was his) and Chapter 2's biggest failure was the weak writing when it comes to plot structure, character and dialogue. I have very little hope for a Salem's Lot by him, and will probably skip it because I can't bare to witness this amazingly creepy story being butchered again.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Where It is complex and generates several "how are we/they going to handle this?" type of adaptation questions, Salem's Lot is simple and (in the right humble yet creative hands) has all it needs, right there. Don't eff it up!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Downtown Ipswich (MA) is set to appear as the backdrop again when filmmakers roll into town in September.

Filming will take place in the AnnTiques area of South Main Street for five or six days, Town Manager Tony Marino told the select board Monday.

The movie planned is “Salem’s Lot,” a remake of Stephen King’s classic about a vampire in small-town Maine.

>>> Source

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Forgive my ignorance, but where is Ipswitch?

Country
    Country Flag

Seems like the shooting may actually already have started : https://eu.milforddailynews.com/stor...ng/7894813002/

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but where is Ipswitch?
    No ignorance. Actually, it's "Ipswich," and it is on the north shore of Massachusetts, nestled in around Gloucester and Newburyport. If you ever get there, you have to stop off at The Clam Box - famous for its fried food. There are some connections to Salem and the witch trials as well. Beautiful area.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    If you ever get there, you have to stop off at The Clam Box - famous for its fried food.
    I can vouch for this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast