Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please choose up to six

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kane's Boyhood - Citizen Kane (1941)

6 33.33%
  • Opening Scene - Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

14 77.78%
  • Delicious Breeze - Seven Year Itch (1955)

4 22.22%
  • Chickie Run - Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

5 27.78%
  • Battle of Stirling (Freedom Speech) - Braveheart (1995)

11 61.11%
  • "Here's looking at you kid" - Casablanca (1942)

12 66.67%
  • The Orgasm - When Harry Met Sally (1989)

10 55.56%
  • Omaha Beach - Saving Private Ryan (1998.)

13 72.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Movie Scene Tournament: Round 1 - Group 11 of 32

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    It bugs the shit out of me that a Meg Ryan scene is trumping Citizen Kane.
    It's not trumping Citizen Kane, it's trumping a scene from Citizen Kane. There is clear distinction between the two.

Remember, we are voting for the best movie scene, not the best movie.

Agreed. However I can't help but think that very few voters have ever seen the film, "Citizen Kane". Perhaps more than most, but not a majority JMHO
    This voter right here makes up for those that haven't seen it yet. I've seen it over 40 times and counting. If I start watching it from any point, I'm hooked and have to finish it.
    So with all those viewings, have you been able to explain the huge plot hole in the movie yet?

Spoiler:
    Nobody was in the room with Kane when he died and said the word "Rosebud".
    No. Even the most beautiful pearl has flaws. There are many more flaws in it besides that one but it doesn't make it less beautiful to me. If I have one major complaint about it, it's that it is a bit shallow. What you see (which is gorgeousness throughout) is what you get. There's not much that's up for artistic interpretation as far as the story or characters go. It's pretty cut and dry. Even this doesn't bother me given what Welles managed to get on the screen for his debut film.
    I need to rewatch the movie but I think it's the butler that says he heard him say it?
    Yes. Also, we see him say it right before he dies and it appears that no one is the room, cannot be certain the butler wasn't there. Cannot be certain that the butler or the nurse were not there previously either. He could have been saying Rosebud all day long with those two and maybe others hearing him say it but the audience only sees the last one. Lots of assumptions there.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm going to have to rewatch it tonight because I just googled it and that's what came up. I was looking for a video but the only one I can find online is the one where he trashes his room, picks up the snowglobe and utters that word. His staff is right there watching him and they all hear it. I think the mention of it is right prior to that scene.

And you're right. We don't see anyone in the room with him but that doesn't mean by any means that he is alone in thay room. The camera could be from the point of view of someone in the room with him, no?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

HBO did a pretty good film about the making of CK with Liev Schreiber playing Welles in 1999. Once you know the backstory, Rosebud takes on a completely different meaning.

Here it is on Youtube but unfortunately has large embedded subtitles.

RKO 281

I'm going to have to rewatch it tonight because I just googled it and that's what came up. I was looking for a video but the only one I can find online is the one where he trashes his room, picks up the snowglobe and utters that word. His staff is right there watching him and they all hear it. I think the mention of it is right prior to that scene.

And you're right. We don't see anyone in the room with him but that doesn't mean by any means that he is alone in thay room. The camera could be from the point of view of someone in the room with him, no?
    All very reasonable assumptions but they are assumptions. If we go strictly by what we see and hear, some definitely find it to be a flaw.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

HBO did a pretty good film about the making of CK with Liev Schreiber playing Welles in 1999. Once you know the backstory, Rosebud takes on a completely different meaning.

RKO 281
    Oh, I'll have to check this out, thanks!

Do you have Netflix? There's a little documentary on there about his production of War of the Worlds. It was fascinating. Not only did they give a lot of backstory about it but they gave a lot of insight as to why people believed it to be true. I'd definitely recommend it.

RKO 281
    Oh, I'll have to check this out, thanks!

Do you have Netflix? There's a little documentary on there about his production of War of the Worlds. It was fascinating. Not only did they give a lot of backstory about it but they gave a lot of insight as to why people believed it to be true. I'd definitely recommend it.
    No Netflix at the moment. I may bribe my friend for his password to watch that though. Welles was always ahead of his time. It's a shame that CK was the one and only film he had complete control over. He had difficulty getting backing for most of his later projects and had to bow to studio demands. It's sad when an artist cannot express themselves as they wish.

Oh I agree. I always wondered how much more amazing some of his other films would have been if he had complete control. Don't get me wrong there's still some greatness in his other films, but it's baffling how much control the studios were able to take back then.

Oh I agree. I always wondered how much more amazing some of his other films would have been if he had complete control. Don't get me wrong there's still some greatness in his other films, but it's baffling how much control the studios were able to take back then.
    Kane was based on William Randolph Hearst as well. Once you see RKO 281 and how he treats WRH, it makes more sense why Welles himself was kind of blacklisted. Some powerful folks you just can't go after and not expect some repercussions. Unfortunately, Welles learned that the hard way.

Oh, I never really thought about that, but it makes sense. Such a shame because he was young then and was way ahead of his time.

I think I found the video on YouTube for you.
    Spoiler:

Oh, I never really thought about that, but it makes sense. Such a shame because he was young then and was way ahead of his time.

I think I found the video on YouTube for you.
    Spoiler:
    Cool! I actually think I remember seeing part of that now because I watch NOVA but I will check it out again this weekend. My memory needs many refreshers these days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2