Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Will you read The Gunslinger and subsequent issues?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 62.79%
  • No, I'm dropping it after Jericho Hill

2 4.65%
  • No, I already dropped it

6 13.95%
  • I don't know/Other

8 18.60%
Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1338

Thread: The Dark Tower Comics Series - General Discussion

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

... and so little money !!!

The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    We've never found out what eventually happened with Rhea and Roland in the books or the comics. Except that a certain belt was involved...

That was one thing I missed in the comics. Maybe she'll make an appearance in the new comics... or maybe King will deal with it himself. There's supposed to be another DT book coming out at some point after all.

Traveler kkut-op-nun-un-dong is on a distinguished road kkut-op-nun-un-dong's Avatar

Ohh Really that would be AWESOME !! thanks

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I hope she dies a gruesome death. It's only fitting.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tik View Post
    It doesn't contridict the book but I was supprised by how dead Roland seemed to be at the end....that is until Walter spat on him. Considering that Walters spit is a vital component of the spell he uses to resurrect the dead, I presumed Walter ironically saved Roland's life via this act by restoring a dead or dying Roland.
    You know, I had never thought of it like that. Bloody hell, that would be ironic: the very act of Walter degrading his arch enemy brought him back to life! Can you imagine what would happen if he ate a meal he didn't like?

"Bleurgh! This chicken's disgusting! Oh-oh...not again!"

Sorry, got distracted there. But my thoughts on Jericho Hill? Didn't quite match the awesomely high expectations, really. It just didn't feel long enough. Although, I suppose a few of the battles in the books don't last long at all, but considering they're described so well that you could practically see the bullets flying in slow motion, read every trigger, every move, every mistake, then of course you read ten awesome pages that basically describe one minute. Here, in comic form, it's just a series of images, so naturally it wasn't going to last as long as reading it in a novel. I still believe the battle could've been better. Or maybe it's just a case of something that was built to be so mythic that it never could have matched our expectations.

My biggest peeve about the battle, though? Cuthbert didn't die laughing. That was my only major problem with it. Roland made so much mention of it, and yet in the comics, we didn't even see him laughing even in the moments before his death. Shame.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Gunslinger : The Journey Begins (inevitable spoliers within)

Sooo... thoughts?

I like it. My expectations (what expectations?) were low so I was quite surprised by how much I liked it. Some of the Non-King dialogue was a little rocky but overall it was a good start. They used quite a few lines directly from the book which was a definite plus in my books. The dead Taheen was a nice touch. Artwork is good too.

My complaints are both Roland and Walter talking to themselves, that's kinda silly.

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'll agree that I also liked it, and that I was pleasantly surprised by it. To be honest, it might have something to do with the artwork - I know there's a lot of Jae Lee fans on this board, but...I just felt indifferent about his artwork. Not sure why, but it didn't really do anything for me.

Sean Phillips, on the other hand...I'm preferring his interpretation already. It just seems to be...dirtier, less clean, which considering the tone of the Gunslinger fits perfectly. Extending Roland's story to Brown all the way back to just after Jericho Hill was also a nice little idea.

Tiny things I didn't like? How completely unsubtle Roland's moment of dizziness was. Really, I feel it could've been perfectly done with artwork, maybe a bit of narration, but I do agree with WDIL that having Roland speak aloud is just stupid. Surely thought bubbles would've been better, at least?

But, all things considered, it wasn't a bad first issue, although I'm not sure if that's because it adapts the original Gunslinger novel so well in parts or for the new content. I'll wait and see.

- Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is out already? Hm.
    Were there extras too? (I'm wondering whether or not to wait for the GN.)

My Mood
    Gay

Grrrr. I wasn't able to get my reading copy this weekend ... gonna have to wait until Friday now.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

There is a write up by Robin Furth, some unused artwork and sketches.

Country
    Country Flag

Cheers. Ummm. I'm in two minds. The kind of extra's stuff I'm really interested in is the history/folklore of mid-world, and fact-file stuff about different things (the guns of Deschain for example... although it seemed to contradict the books a bit) but the essays can be interesting in their own right....

So, to buy or not to buy... (now I mean. I expect I'll buy the GN if not this.)

Country
    Country Flag

$4. Give it a shot.

My Mood
    Gay

FYI My Friends - I added "The Gunslinger" to the title of this thread ... I thought it best to include the arc title.

ETA : Here's the description that Marvel is using for the first issue :

The Man in Black has laid ruin everything Roland Deschain holds dear and today, the Lone Gunslinger embarks on an all-new quest to avenge his fallen gunslingers in DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER #1. It's the blockbuster beginning to the hottest chapter in the acclaimed Dark Tower series and if you haven't been following, now's your chance to jump on board! Join Robin Furth, Peter David and Richard Isanove as they welcome superstar artist Sean Phillips (INCOGNITO) into the ka-tet of creators entrusted by Stephen King himself to bring the adult adventures of his most personal creation to life! Featuring a variant cover by the Dark Tower superstar artist Jae Lee, this will be one issue you will not want to miss!

With the ka-tet gone and Gilead left in ashes, Roland sets out to hunt the Man in Black. Roland hasn't forgotten what John Farson did to the Affiliation and it only fuels the fire that burns in his chest. Will Roland finally reach the Dark Tower? Can he avenge his fallen comrades? Find out today when DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER #1 hits store shelves everywhere!

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I bought the regular and variant editions today. Can't wait to read them.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Gay

David - Any difficulty getting / finding the variant?

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

I picked these up over the weekend, as well as the new "N". I haven't read the new "N" yet, but I loved The Gunslinger. I thought he did a wonderful job with it and I was very please until the end. But the only reason I was pissed the end because... well, it had to end. I wanted more. I'm waiting for the next issue with great anticipation. I've been collecting the individual copies as well as the hard back editions.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I didn't care for Marten/the Man in Black's little "hahah come get me" introduction. That aside, I liked the comic.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why am I not surprised that Furth would find a way to bring back her pet Mary Sue somehow? *groans*
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think the Battle of Jericho Hill is a prime example of something that I no longer blame King for not showing in the original novels, mainly because what we imagine is much better than what we see. The battle here is pretty anticlimactic IMO and doesn't live up to what a lot of us imagined it to be from reading King's brief mentions.

Also, what the hell happened to Rhea? Did Furth forget about her?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

Hey ... I thought you thought that Aileen was her Mary Sue?!?!

Country
    Country Flag

Huh?

My Collection

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Hey ... I thought you thought that Aileen was her Mary Sue?!?!

Exactly, Pam.

Regarding the first Gunslinger issue, as Simon Pegg once said: "Skip to the end!"

- Melike

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Something tells me we will see her in the new set of arcs. With 30 issues to cover ground that is not talked about at all in the books, I think Rhea could be squeezed in.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's my thinking. I hope so too.

Still, she should have been used more directly in The Sorceror* even if she wasn't captured then.

Spoiler:
    I'm still of the view that wasn't just an illusion created by the grapefruit but actually the real Rhea, albeit from afar. A shame it wasn't made more explicit in the story though.

Country
    Country Flag

Default Something I noticed on a variant cover

OK, I was looking at the sketch variant of The Gunslinger Born #2 and noticed Jonas Eldred has the All-Seeing Eye. The Freemason symbol. I don't necessarily have a point here but I thought it was odd.

I don't see why I failed gunslinger would wear one.

I know Alan Moore is not a fan of Freemasons (From Hell and The League..), maybe Jae Lee isn't either. I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories... even though I don't believe in them.

Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast