Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Will you read The Gunslinger and subsequent issues?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 62.79%
  • No, I'm dropping it after Jericho Hill

2 4.65%
  • No, I already dropped it

6 13.95%
  • I don't know/Other

8 18.60%
Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1338

Thread: The Dark Tower Comics Series - General Discussion

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Hello Richard,

Without giving too much away, would you say this series will be more Mr. King or Robin Furth? We all read that little blurb but could you share some insider info? Nothing that will get you in trouble, just sort of maybe when the story is placed, between Little Sisters and The Gunslinger, after Tull.. that sort of thing.

If you can't, that's fine, no hard feelings. I figured I'd ask anyway.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

FYI : We do have a whole thread dedicated to asking Richard Isanove questions ...

... if you want to read some really interesting stuff on comics and his DT experiences, check it out ... Click here.

It's an active thread - so feel free to add any questions you might like ....
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, but the gunslingers are supposed to have extra keen senses and be great trackers, so they should be able to hear gunshots from inside the walls of their city. Right?
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Battle of Jericho Hill #5 (of 5) WITH SPOILERS!

I haven't seen a thread devoted to this issue yet, which is a bit surprising it being, if you like, the finale. The one with THE battle.

I've just read it. It only arrived today due to delays to this side of the pond due to a certain volcano eruption in Iceland you might have heard about.

My reaction? I'm somewhat disapointed, but it certainly isn't all bad. I just think it could have been... more.

Positive stuff first though. The artwork was good. As for the cover, part of me would have preferred an epic picture depicting the battle, yet this sad picture showing the consequences of the battle, centring on the tragedy is certainly affecting in a different way.

I was hoping to see that epic two page spread battle scene that King imagined, right back in the dawn of the series. The one he mentioned in interviews. What we got instead were two two page spreads showing each side in the war, first the Gunslingers and their affiliation soldiers, then Walter, Grissom and co. They're certainly not bad pictures, (they're artistically great in fact) but ultimately they're just teams of guys facing each direction. Maybe that's what King envisioned but it's not quite what sprang to mind when I read his words all that time ago. (That's not to say they shouldn't have shown those panels. They have merit, I'd have just placed them in large panels on one page, a page each at most, then leave the two page splash for that big war shot.

The actual depiction of the war and losses on each side was graphic and affective though. For some reason I was expecting Aileen to survive the battle though, considering the blurb I've read for The Gunsglinger comics that are to follow. But then... maybe things aren't all they seem. (Actually, I don't think she should have been there at all. I like the character, and I'm glad she was expanded, but I can't help thinking that if she had such a main role in these events in Roland's life, King would have mentioned them more often. And it's not down to the patriarchal sexism of Mid-World, since those sections of the book are from Roland's point of view... and I think his attitude has been more liberal in that regard.)

As for Cuthbert and Walter though. Two word. Rudin. Filaro. (I think that was his name.) Surely that wasn't forgotten? I think maybe that was considered a minutiae that distracted from the main thread as it would have required a couple of shape-shifting panels to get the point across, or not. We needn't have actually shown Walter there at all, just a blue man. Those of us who had read the books would have known who it was, and those yet to read would find out after reading DT7.
    "'Tis not meet that I have no blood on my hands this glorious day.
    This will attend to that."

What ever floats your boat Walt, old boy. Really.

To be fair, that's probably a small thing, a nitpick if you like. Roland's fate at the end of the battle just seemed... wrong though. He was hit with several bullets. He is confronted by Grissom who is wielding a spiked club, and makes one more defiant gesture... an presumably gets knocked out.* And... somehow survives. By sheer force of will. What about hiding in the bodies? Did the writers think that was too cowardly somehow, an unfitting end for the hero of this epic? But from a story point of view, I'd find that much more believable. And it's what King described in Wolves of the Calla. By all mean, fill in the details of how it happened, but don't write something different!

I think overall this last issue encapsulates much of what has been wrong about these series of comics. They show a lot of style, a lot of big panel spread (which in itself is not a good thing) but they leave out or alter the details of the story.

To leave on a more positive note (sorry but I am rather disappointed) the colour scheme is wonderful and atmospheric. I can see a lot of work has gone into it and much of it has paid off.

I wonder what happened to Rhea and John Farson though? Maybe the answer to those questions are for another day.

Incidentally, those preview panels for the next series Dark Tower: The Gunslinger- The Journey Begins, look great.

*We don't see the club descend, but considering Grissom is standing over him with a head smacker, then everything goes black, I doubt Roland just fainted and Grissom just walked away. Besides there is blood splatter in that last panel ...

Traveler Tao43 is on a distinguished road

I think Roland hiding in the pile of bodies happens off panel. From what I gathered, they were piling up the bodies when Walter spat on Roland. When Roland woke up, he had to pull himself out of the pile.

Roland was probably aware of himself being thrown in the pile and played possum. Just my two cents.

Also, I agree with you about Rhea and Farson. It is hinted in the books that Rhea dies at Roland's hand, but I have always been curious as to Farson's end. Seems a bit weird that Roland would never have gone after Farson and Grissom for revenge later on.

Along the Path of the Beam AtanĂ³no FĂ¡na is on a distinguished road AtanĂ³no FĂ¡na's Avatar

Please, in this issue Farson?

Traveler Tao43 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Atanóno Fána View Post
    Please, in this issue Farson?
    I wish Farson was there too.

Like I said, I want to know what happens to Farson after Jericho Hill. Maybe it will be dealt with in the new series. I hope.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I just finished my copy.

A big grin crossed my face as I approached the page where Bert blew the Horn of Eld. That is where I think a two page spread would've been the best idea--show a massive army of blue-faced barbarians, mutants, and sprinkle in some taheen and can-toi as well--versus the last of the gunsliners with Bert blowing the Horn.

I was disappoitned that Thomas died. I had hoped the pursuit of Flagg would be developed as a side story. It frankly surprised me that the boys never made it beyond a few mentions here and there.

The art was excellent however, and the deaths were very well done.

Along the Path of the Beam AtanĂ³no FĂ¡na is on a distinguished road AtanĂ³no FĂ¡na's Avatar

That there is not enough Farson me angry. If not in other works, whether they are shit. Farson does not mean it in this issue, or anywhere in the beginning?

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Movie?

I wonder if Roland ever defeated Farson or if Farson's empire just crumbled in on itself in the end. They're a pretty chaotic bunch, and without a specific enemy to focus their attention (the gunslingers) I wonder if they ended up turning on each other.

I think these comics could have been so much more though. I'm certainly curious about where the new comics will take Roland.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

As for Cuthbert and Walter though. Two word. Rudin. Filaro. (I think that was his name.) Surely that wasn't forgotten? I think maybe that was considered a minutiae that distracted from the main thread as it would have required a couple of shape-shifting panels to get the point across, or not. We needn't have actually shown Walter there at all, just a blue man. Those of us who had read the books would have known who it was, and those yet to read would find out after reading DT7.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. Sure, it would be nice if Walter had looked different but we know that Walter uses the same name for different forms and different names for the same form. A very clear example of this is Randall Flagg of The Stand wandering around America using different names such as Russell Faraday whilst looking exactly the same. In this instance, Rudin Filaro is a name Walter probably used for the benefit of Grissoms men who didn't know who he was (such as the mutants) whilst not actually bothering to change his face like in The Stand. Only the likes of Grissom would have known that Filaro was Walter.

Also remember that the comics only show us the main key events of what happens (eg Wizard and Glass hardly featured Susans aunt at all but we know she was there inbetween panels). It is entirely possible that Walter had his face painted blue for the majority of the push towards the gunslingers and was rid of it when Grissom rejoined him.
    To be fair, that's probably a small thing, a nitpick if you like. Roland's fate at the end of the battle just seemed... wrong though. He was hit with several bullets. He is confronted by Grissom who is wielding a spiked club, and makes one more defiant gesture... an presumably gets knocked out.* And... somehow survives. By sheer force of will. What about hiding in the bodies? Did the writers think that was too cowardly somehow, an unfitting end for the hero of this epic? But from a story point of view, I'd find that much more believable. And it's what King described in Wolves of the Calla. By all mean, fill in the details of how it happened, but don't write something different!
    It doesn't contridict the book but I was supprised by how dead Roland seemed to be at the end....that is until Walter spat on him. Considering that Walters spit is a vital component of the spell he uses to resurrect the dead, I presumed Walter ironically saved Roland's life via this act by restoring a dead or dying Roland.

Goldmember RIsanove is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I really can't divulge anything. Between Marvel and the King team, everything is kept under very tight wrap. It 'll be out soon anyway.

Traveler rom19 is on a distinguished road

i love the comics of dark tower!!! ps: sorry for my english , i from italy

I hope there will Farson. Similarly, what else would there Roland did before fleeing from Farsonem. Roland says the third book, he went away from Farsona, page 205

Traveler kkut-op-nun-un-dong is on a distinguished road kkut-op-nun-un-dong's Avatar

Default 3 questions regarding the comics and novel

SPOILER ALERT Ok First of all I read all 7 dark tower books and all the comic books,and I have 3 questions?

1# Ok what happened to Maerlynn the wizard who basically is the oldest and most evil of all villians we know his history of the early days of making the 13 balls,the mirror,the early days of Arther Eld and then theres no mention of him in the fall of gillead,rolands journey to the tower...What happened did i miss anything?

2#Why is that single rose in New York so important? if it was destroyed how would that effect the dark towers destruction?

3#Did you realise in battle at jerico hill 5 Roland as usual did not pick up the horn of eld and as usual we all know that is the key for him to find redemption and at the end at dark tower 7.Robin Fourth and the other writers had an opertunaty to finnally seal rolads journey i wonder why not?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kkut-op-nun-un-dong View Post
    SPOILER ALERT Ok First of all I read all 7 dark tower books and all the comic books,and I have 3 questions?

1# Ok what happened to Maerlynn the wizard who basically is the oldest and most evil of all villians we know his history of the early days of making the 13 balls,the mirror,the early days of Arther Eld and then theres no mention of him in the fall of gillead,rolands journey to the tower...What happened did i miss anything?

2#Why is that single rose in New York so important? if it was destroyed how would that effect the dark towers destruction?

3#Did you realise in battle at jerico hill 5 Roland as usual did not pick up the horn of eld and as usual we all know that is the key for him to find redemption and at the end at dark tower 7.Robin Fourth and the other writers had an opertunaty to finnally seal rolads journey i wonder why not?
    1) I don't think there is an explanation. Maybe he died of old age. Who knows.

2) The rose represents the tower in Keystone Earth. Pretty sure it can't be destroyed.

3) He didn't pick it up because that would be out of line with the story. That would've been a good point to change the timeline/story if they were to do a comic on a whole new "loop" but alas, comics are based on the loop we all read about in the 7 TDT books.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

No one knows. I like to think he's still out there somewhere...

The rose is the Dark Tower on the New York side. Destroying the rose would likely have the same effect as destroying the tower.

Because they're in the business of selling comics. Give them time, and about 67 arcs from now they might just do that.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Traveler kkut-op-nun-un-dong is on a distinguished road kkut-op-nun-un-dong's Avatar

Thanks for the answers....I needed a true fan other then myself to help me. I came to the same conclusion that you both did I just wanted to make sure I did not miss out on information. i started to reread book 6 and 7 since they are the the two that are the most confusing in regards two those questions.
    I highly praise the comic book series and Robin if you read this thank you so much for filling in alot of the blanks that the novels left out. please continue to write the books !!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Since you've finished the series, you may want to discuss the individual books here.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post

Because they're in the business of selling comics. Give them time, and about 67 arcs from now they might just do that.
    Are you trying to kill me?!??!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Really, Dags! Pam probably needs to be rescusitated just at the thought of having to get 3 copies each of every issue of 67 arcs....not to mention they all must be CGC graded 9.9 or higher. The poor gal's head probably exploded.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Really, Dags! Pam probably needs to be rescusitated just at the thought of having to get 3 copies each of every issue of 67 arcs....not to mention they all must be CGC graded 9.9 or higher. The poor gal's head probably exploded.
    So true.
    Remember me fondly.
    You can all fight over my collectibles!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

*straps on some homemade semtex for the ensuing battle*
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Default One last question ?

Did Roland end up shooting Rhea of the Coos in Gillead ?
    I am trying to remember how that took place

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Poor Pam. So many comics, so little time...

Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast