Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New film version of Firestarter

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

On one hand, I wouldn't have high hopes for this because Firestarter seems like a classic example of source material that tempts adaptors (clumsy way of saying "those that would adapt it") to move in entirely the wrong direction - because the novel isn't about fire and special effects.

On the other hand, Blumhouse does nice work; they may just understand this.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Two words: Akiva Goldsman

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Lolz you're killing it today.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Pardon my ignorance... fill me in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, is it a sequel or a reboot? I was looking at the old thread, seemed like a sequel. They need to get that girl that played Eleven in Stranger Things!
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    So, is it a sequel or a reboot? I was looking at the old thread, seemed like a sequel. They need to get that girl that played Eleven in Stranger Things!

I believe it is a reboot, but a sequel, done right, would be awesome!!! I always expected, Charlie and Danny to make an appearance in TDT at the end and always wanted to know more about their respective stories. Of course we have, "Dr. Sleep", but what about, Charlie?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    It's a remake or reboot of the original story. Millie would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I believe it is a reboot, but a sequel, done right, would be awesome!!! I always expected, Charlie and Danny to make an appearance in TDT at the end and always wanted to know more about their respective stories. Of course we have, "Dr. Sleep", but what about, Charlie?
    O/t but one of the reasons why I'm glad that King did Dr. Sleep was he had made an earlier comment during his tour for 'Rose Madder' that Danny would probably be beating up his kids due to the cycle of abuse. So I was happy to see that was wrong and that he turned out 'ok' in the end.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

1982 (UNFILMED) FIRESTARTER SCRIPT TO BE FILMED AFTER THE THING BY JOHN CARPENTER.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.slashfilm.com/firestarter-remake-director/
    The Stephen King adaptations keep on coming. The latest: Faith Akin, director of In the Fade and Goodbye Berlin, has been hired to helm a Firestarter remake for Universal Pictures and Blumhouse. The film will be another adaptation of King’s 1980 novel about a girl with pyrokinetic abilities. Drew Barrymore starred in the 1984 adaptation of the King novel.

Sooner or later, the Stephen King adaptation bubble is going to burst. For now, though, studios are moving full steam ahead to cash-in on the King kraze. Variety is reporting that filmmaker Faith Akin will direct a remake of King’s Firestarter for Universal Pictures, Akiva Goldsman, and Blumhouse Productions. Goldsman will produce along with Jason Blum of Blumhouse. Scott Teems, a writer for shows Narcos and Rectify, will write the script.

Firestarter was the sixth book King published, and it’s not what I’d call his best work. But everyone wants to be in the Stephen King business right now, so producers are going to take what they can get. Here’s the book’s synopsis:

The Department of Scientific Intelligence (aka “The Shop”) never anticipated that two participants in their research program would marry and have a child. Charlie McGee inherited pyrokinetic powers from her parents, who had been given a low-grade hallucinogen called “Lot Six” while at college. Now the government is trying to capture young Charlie and harness her powerful firestarting skills as a weapon.

Faith Akin is a very interesting choice for this project. He’s not someone I’d consider a horror filmmaker, but I’m curious to see what he does with this material. The book was adapted into a somewhat dull 1984 film by director Mark L. Lester, with a cast that included David Keith, Drew Barrymore, Martin Sheen and George C. Scott.

In 2002, the Sci Fi Channel aired a miniseries sequel to the film, Firestarter: Rekindled. Wet Hot American Summer‘s Marguerite Moreau starred as the adult version of Barrymore’s character, Charlie McGee. Danny Nucci, Dennis Hopper, and Malcolm McDowell also appeared. It was awful and you should avoid it at all costs.

The Firestarter remake grows an ever-expanding list of King films and TV shows that will be coming our way very soon. King movie and TV adaptations are nothing new, but after the blockbuster success of 2017’s It, Stephen King is a hot commodity again. Upcoming titles include Pet Sematary, It Chapter 2 ; Hulu’s Castle Rock; Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining; The Long Walk; The Tommyknockers; a 10-hour miniseries adaptation of The Stand; The Bone Church; Amazon’s Dark Tower series; Netflix’s In The Tall Grass; and The Gingerbread Girl.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What do you guys think of Zahn McClarnon as Rainbird?

He played a great ruthless assassin in 'Fargo' and they'd be casting an actual Native American this time around.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post

He played a great ruthless assassin in 'Fargo' and they'd be casting an actual Native American this time around.
    He was awesome in Westworld, and pretty good on Longmire.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I saw him in Fargo - he's the guy.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

‘In the Fade’ Director Fatih Akin to Helm Stephen King’s ‘Firestarter’ Remake for Universal and Blumhouse

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni62113806

https://www.morgenpost.de/vermischte...Feuerkind.html

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

He was awesome in Westworld, and pretty good on Longmire.
    Completely agree! 1st round pick for the part all the way. Awesome actor.

P.S. 8+ years in the making. That didn't turn out to well for TDT.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

BUMP

Any new info on this one out there in the film ether?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

BUMP

I had some but it evaporated before I could post.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    BUMP

I had some but it evaporated before I could post.

Comedian, huh?

Country
    Country Flag

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/u...or-1203440204/
    Universal Pictures, Blumhouse Productions and Weed Road Productions are ramping up the adaptation of “Firestarter.” Keith Thomas has been tapped to direct the reboot based on Stephen King’s novel. Sources exclusively tell Variety that Blumhouse also acquired domestic distribution rights to Thomas’ upcoming horror film “The Vigil.”

Scott Teems, who penned Universal and Blumhouse’s “Halloween” sequel “Halloween Kills,” is adapting the screenplay. King’s original story follows a young girl who develops pyro-kinetic abilities and is abducted by a secret government agency that wants to harness her powerful gift as a weapon.

Sources tell Variety that Blumhouse wanted to board the project after being blown away upon seeing “The Vigil” world premiere at the Toronto Film Festival. JD Lifshitz and Raphael Margules at Boulderlight and Adam Margules of Angry Adam Productions are producers on “The Vigil.”

“Every once in a while you see a film that grasps and shakes you. ‘Vigil’ did that for us, and we were eager to be a part of the film and to work with Keith and the BoulderLight team,” Blum said in a statement.”

Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road Productions will also produce “Firestarter,” along with, Martha De Laurentiis, who was an associate producer on the 1984’s “Firestarter” with Drew Barrymore, will executive produce.” Elle Driver recently acquired the international sales rights out of TIFF.

Blum and Goldsman previously worked together on the “Paranormal Activity” franchise and “Stephanie.”

King’s books have been box-office goldmines with recent adaptations of “It” and “Pet Sematary” becoming commerical hits.

Thomas is is represented by CAA, Antonio D’Intino at Circle of Confusion and Peter Sample at Jackoway Tyerman.

Country
    Country Flag

https://movieweb.com/firestarter-rem...art-date-2020/
    We have a little update on the status of the Firestarter remake. Stephen King is one of the hottest brands in all of entertainment right now, in no small part thanks to the massive success of both IT and IT Chapter Two. King's 1980 novel has been on Universal's to-do list for some time now. As revealed to us by screenwriter Scott Teems, the movie is, or at least was, eyed to begin production sometime this year.

I recently had the chance to speak with Scott Teems in honor of his new movie The Quarry being released digitally. During our conversation, I asked about the status of Firestarter. According to Teems, Universal and Blumhouse Productions are eager to get this one going. Here's what he had to say about it.

"I'm still the writer. We just got a new director named Keith Thomas and he made a great film called The Vigil coming up this year, and Universal and Blumhouse, they want to make Firestarter. It has always been an important project to them. I think we're making active steps toward that happening this year. You know, the industry shut down notwithstanding, and that may change things, but right now, I'm really hopeful that it might happen this year."

Currently Hollywood is at a standstill until social distancing orders are lifted and productions can find a way to resume safely. That will unquestionably impact whatever plans studios had, but it seems safe to assume Firestarter isn't something they are going to scrap, as it has a great deal of potential. As Scott Teems mentions, Keith Thomas was brought on board to direct the Stephen King adaptation in December of last year, signaling the project had gained some new steam. The remake was initially announced in April 2017.

Firestarter centers on an organization called the Department of Scientific Intelligence, aka "The Shop." Two participants in their mysterious research program end up getting married and having a child. Their offspring, Charlie McGee, inherited pyrokinetic powers from her parents, who were given a low-grade hallucinogen called "Lot Six" during their college years. Now the government is trying to apprehend the young Charlie in order to harness her powerful and unique skills as a weapon. There is no word on casting currently and the big question is who will be tapped to play Charlie this time around.

Mark L. Lester previously helmed an adaptation of the novel which was released in 1984 which starred Drew Barrymore as Charlie. It proved to be modestly successful, though far from a runaway hit. A TV miniseries titled Firestarter: Rekindled was also released in 2002. Universal has not yet set a release date for the new adaptation, but we'll be sure to keep you posted as any further information is made available. In the meantime, Scott Teems' new movie The Quarry is available via On Demand now from Lionsgate.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I feel compelled to say that I always thought the original version was a grossly under rated version. They'll always take a few liberties here and there but the general spirit of the book was fairly well maintained IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

King has always said that he feels nothing of himself in the movie -- the story is all there, but he isn't.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I feel compelled to say that I always thought the original version was a grossly under rated version. They'll always take a few liberties here and there but the general spirit of the book was fairly well maintained IMHO
    Agreed, Bill. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of the Pet Sematary remake. Surely King didn't feel anything of himself in that dumpster fire.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast