Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: New film version of Firestarter

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jreitan47 View Post
    Just completed a re-read of FIRESTARTER in anticipation of the new movie. I think this is my fourth time reading it, and it's just as good as when I read it as a teen!

I will no doubt view this film of course however, I'm sure the original will top it even if just by a hair. I mean, Barrymore was just freaking awesome and you just can't stop, Martin Sheen!!! LOL

I have to say though, Blumhouse usually does films/subject matter in horror better than most. Should be interesting for sure.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Well, this sucks, if true:

Sadly for viewers who were hoping they could watch the film free with a Peacock trial, the service discontinued this at the end of last year. Though the surface does have a free tier, this only offers a limited number of programs and films — and Firestarter won't be one of them for the time being.

This means that the cheapest way to watch the film will be to pay for a month of Peacock. The streamer offers two paid tiers. You can watch the movie with commercials as part of the Peacock Premium package, which costs $4.99 a month or $49.99 a year, or you can watch without advertisements with a Peacock Premium Plus account at $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hope I'm wrong but this is looking to be a stinker. There's been almost zero promotion at a time where such a film would be an easy sell (given how similar the concept is to Stranger Things), there seems to be a review embargo for American critics and the early reviews on Letterboxd from people who have seen it are generally negative.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if they got any cool promos or anything else :

https://www.wabi.tv/2022/05/13/steph...arter-premier/
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

WIll check it out on DVD when my library receives a copy.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

That is a terrific (albeit strongly negative) review.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have zero interest in seeing this.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

$5 to watch on Peacock wasn't bad at all. That being said, the movie was aggressively average. It reminds me of the new Pet Semetary in that regard

Positives:
    Decent cast
    Great music (done by John Carpenter no less)

Negatives:
    Bland
    Lacks tension
    Plays it too safe

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you have extremely low expectations, then you won't be too disappointed. There are a few unintentional Ed Wood-like moments like the scene with the cat, but this is basically typical soulless Hollywood drivel. The current political climate traps the filmmakers like rats since they can't explore any of the obvious relevant themes like governmental overreach into parental rights. Verboten. So it is just a series of increasingly implausible vignettes in which you could care less about any of the characters and hope for the end. Mercifully that doesn't take very long. Almost like they ran out of film and ideas at some point and just rolled the credits.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    The current political climate traps the filmmakers like rats since they can't explore any of the obvious relevant themes like governmental overreach into parental rights.
    What are you referring to?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Firestarter

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Disappointing to see that virtually all reviews are negative; I had high hopes for this.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Kinda of boring. I didn't realize there was a mini-series done back in 2002 I think it was titled Firestarter Rekindled. It's on Peacock also. I'm watching it just for the helluva it.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    The current political climate traps the filmmakers like rats since they can't explore any of the obvious relevant themes like governmental overreach into parental rights.
    What are you referring to?
    There are numerous recent examples of debates about the role of government vs parents in making decisions regarding children. Do you really want to go down that path again? The point being that liberal filmmakers in Hollywood are not going to explore the theme that the government can overreach in some instances with misinformation. And no I'm not an anti-vaxxer. Sorry.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...liberal filmmakers in Hollywood are not going to explore the theme that the government can overreach in some instances with misinformation.
    Hey, maybe during the next Republican administration they'll regain their skepticism.

Country
    Country Flag

There are numerous recent examples of debates about the role of government vs parents in making decisions regarding children.
    Like?

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

A week old but in case anyone wanted to see the two Charlies together:

My Collection

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Everyone looks cool with wind-blown hair against a backdrop of fire; it's basically a rule.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That was really cool. Regardless of how well or not well the reboot was.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

I re-watched the original after having not seen it in decades. It has not held up well. Comes off as low budget even with its big-name talent. It certainly has its moments but mostly cringe worthy stuff. Most amazing was how different the original treats the "Shop." In the aftermath of Vietnam and Watergate, in this time period there was a very anti-government bias among liberals. This movie is brutal in its treatment of the government. The climatic scene is basically a war on government. A bit disturbing. It could have been written by Randy Weaver or a survivor of Waco.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The bluray/dvd version will be released in a couple of days. In the USA, not in France where it will probably be in at least 6 months. If ever.
    I am intrigued to find out what the alternate ending was
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    The bluray/dvd version will be released in a couple of days. In the USA, not in France where it will probably be in at least 6 months. If ever.
    I am intrigued to find out what the alternate ending was
    Is it available thru one of the streaming services yet?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched the Blu-ray last night (review up tomorrow), and the alternate ending is incredibly similar to the one in the finished film, with one small difference. It's not drastic at all.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast