Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Writing Spaces - Your Writing World

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Writing Spaces - Your Writing World

Hi all - I just wanted to share that I really enjoy Turtleback Lane and the idea of opening up a thread category to fellow writers, would-be writers, etc. What a great place, for all, to test the waters a bit and share your work. Also, the constructive feedback that users/readers post is really amazing. I hope to spend some time reading some of the past submissions/posts.

One thing that I searched around for and couldn't find was a thread on 'Writing Spaces'. Meaning, the space/s in which the fine writers of this forum grind out their stories. Is it your office, a nook, the car, the basement, a closet, the bathroom, or outside? Do you handle your first drafts in longhand, on a typewriter? Laptop or a Freewrite? Show us your writing space, it would be neat to see.

Just as we are inspired by other's amazing collections, so will we be with where you make your magic, create your worlds, and fascinating characters. Ok, so in thinking ahead, I could see a bunch of random posts of places just for the hell of it, but I am hopeful that actual spaces will be shared. So, you - yes you, I know you were about to just post a random shot of a toilet and post it up. Give us a pass please.

Alrighty, maybe this thread will be a dud, but I thought what the hell, why not give it a shot. So, in the wise words of some online forum member, "Post em' up!"
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I guess it would be helpful to have samples. Some writing spaces of the greats:

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I don't currently have a writing space and this is a problem I hope to remedy soon by clearing out a small space in my attic to claim as my own. I've never had a problem with sitting down anywhere in my house and just writing, but now that I'm working on completing an entire story, I feel like not having a place to close myself off is really holding me back some days. I need a spot that's mine so I don't have to worry about my son/husband/dog/cats distracting me from what I'm trying to do.

I will say that writing longhand comes easier for me most days and pours onto the pages in a more natural way than using my computer. I also find that listening to classical music helps shut out the rest of the world while I write. My husband bought me the score for Star Wars: A New Hope on vinyl a while back and some of my most productive writing has come from days of playing that while I had the entire house to myself. Maybe that's just The Force flowing through me.

How about you, Travelin Jack?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I don't currently have a writing space and this is a problem I hope to remedy soon by clearing out a small space in my attic to claim as my own. I've never had a problem with sitting down anywhere in my house and just writing, but now that I'm working on completing an entire story, I feel like not having a place to close myself off is really holding me back some days. I need a spot that's mine so I don't have to worry about my son/husband/dog/cats distracting me from what I'm trying to do.

I will say that writing longhand comes easier for me most days and pours onto the pages in a more natural way than using my computer. I also find that listening to classical music helps shut out the rest of the world while I write. My husband bought me the score for Star Wars: A New Hope on vinyl a while back and some of my most productive writing has come from days of playing that while I had the entire house to myself. Maybe that's just The Force flowing through me.

How about you, Travelin Jack?
    Ah yes, the writing nomad. I think we all are, and always will be, nomadic to some degree. I understand what you mean and where you’re coming from. We can still get the writing done anywhere but, being able to close out the world, if even for a short while, is ideal. I will say, once I was able to really put together my own writing space it worked wonders for me. Productivity went to, and maintains, at an all-time high. There’s just something about it that’s both comforting and inspiring.

It wasn't until about two years ago when I claimed a space in the house. I am fortunate in that I do have my own office. Which, I do use for writing, but I find myself handling regular work there and then venturing off to my writing nook (pic below) for the fun stuff. That is usually where I find myself most times when I’m in the zone.

I usually do my story summaries (ideas) longhand. There is something about the initial ideas that need to go down on paper by hand. From there, I actually go to a typewriter for drafting. I have an IBM Selectric I and Selectric Personal that I use most. If I really want to go old school I go to my Olympia SM9. However, I usually use that for letters. Small factoid: It was the typewriter that helped me break my terrible habit of editing as I wrote. A horrible terrible habit that just slows you down and pulls you right out of that creative bubble that you need to stay in. Not to mention, all the distractions that come with a computer. I just type away (nothing beats that sound) and stack the papers. Then I scan them. Most times it will scan well and I can export into a word file for editing once the draft is complete.

I, too, like to have classical music or lyric free movie scores in the background. It’s healthy ambiance that can really get you into some of your scenes. Fun stuff!

I’m so happy you shared, Girlystevedave! I hope others will chime in as well. It’s always motivating to hear how others grind it out.

Happy Writing!

WTB:

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    . Small factoid: It was the typewriter that helped me break my terrible habit of editing as I wrote. A horrible terrible habit that just slows you down and pulls you right out of that creative bubble that you need to stay in.

Makes perfect sense! The desire to edit and perfect each sentence when working on the computer is the reason why I usually try to write longhand the first time around. I stop honing in on each detail and instead get my point across in a more natural way.

Also, I dig your writing nook.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    . Small factoid: It was the typewriter that helped me break my terrible habit of editing as I wrote. A horrible terrible habit that just slows you down and pulls you right out of that creative bubble that you need to stay in.

Makes perfect sense! The desire to edit and perfect each sentence when working on the computer is the reason why I usually try to write longhand the first time around. I stop honing in on each detail and instead get my point across in a more natural way.

Also, I dig your writing nook.
    Thank you. Hope you're able to get your space going soon!

WTB:

Country
    Country Flag

I meant to post this before. This clock is in my writing nook. It has its imperfections, but I love this clock. A few King books on there as well. :-)

WTB:

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I need to organize a bit...

All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Yowzah. Made me think of a classroom in 'Old Central' from, 'Summer of Night'.

WTB:

I meant to post this before. This clock is in my writing nook. It has its imperfections, but I love this clock. A few King books on there as well. :-)

Oh, that's cool. Did you buy that or make it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I need to organize a bit...

Just a bit.

Yowzah. Made me think of a classroom in 'Old Central' from, 'Summer of Night'.
    OOh, you're right. I can see this being from the book.

Country
    Country Flag

I ordered it from someone on Etsy. I asked if she could add in the "It's Time to Write" note on there and longer clock hands. She was very nice and easy to work with.

Here is the link to her store. Although I don't see the clock there anymore. I think she'd make another.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BristolCustomGifts

WTB:

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I have an office, sort of, where all my collection of books are. No desk though. With the way today is and I am, I have no problem moving my laptop all around to type away. I need "my space" though. Quiet time to get away from the horrid noises of this world. I need peace, quiet, and a sense of loneliness to drift away into my mind to put those thoughts to paper. I have many small drafts on actual paper, but I also have everything that is transferred on my laptop and then backed up on a flash drive (which I highly recommend).
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    I have an office, sort of, where all my collection of books are. No desk though. With the way today is and I am, I have no problem moving my laptop all around to type away. I need "my space" though. Quiet time to get away from the horrid noises of this world. I need peace, quiet, and a sense of loneliness to drift away into my mind to put those thoughts to paper. I have many small drafts on actual paper, but I also have everything that is transferred on my laptop and then backed up on a flash drive (which I highly recommend).
    I hear you loud and clear with backups. The 'cloud' has become a good friend of mine. I keep a flash drive as well. I figure if the computer or laptop fails, I have the cloud, if the cloud fails I have my flash drive. If the flash drive fails, well, there's always my print outs. Yeesh, ok a bit much on the backups. I suppose something terrible must be happening for all of those to go south.

I hope you're able to find/create a space for your writing, shutting out the noises and distractions. Oh what sweet serenity it is.

WTB:

+ Reply to Thread