Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Tower lawsuit claims SK is a plagiarist

Traveler Philzilla is on a distinguished road Philzilla's Avatar

Default Dark Tower lawsuit claims SK is a plagiarist

"The creator of "The Rook" comics claims King's protagonist, Roland Deschain, is based on his main character, Restin Dane. He says Deschain has striking similarities to Dane other than just their initials -- both are "time-traveling, monster-fighting, quasi-immortal, romantic adventure heroes."

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/29...ower-character

http://www.tmz.com/2017/03/28/stephe...-infringement/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ased-Rook.html

Probably nothing, but interesting anyway.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What grounds are there to sue on even if King used the character as inspiration? Can you copyright vague character archetypes?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. I used to read the Rook right from the beginning and never made the King connection. of course there are similarities, but if this is enough ground for a lawsuit?
    I doubt it.

For anyone interested, I'll post the first couple of pages from The Rook saga. Hope you can read it.
    My pictures aren't that clear I'm afraid...I tried...

sk

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

More to come....

Country
    Country Flag

more to come

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Exact copy. Lawsuit wins.

Country
    Country Flag

I had hoped these images would be big enough to read. Well...if you try hard enough....
    Sorry guys.
    I could post a few larger, if anyone's interested.

sk

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Given that King created Roland in 1970 and had the first parts of The Gunslinger finished and ready to go into the publication cycle at F&SF for a 1978 appearance, and that The Rook didn't come out until 1977...

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Given that King created Roland in 1970 and had the first parts of The Gunslinger finished and ready to go into the publication cycle at F&SF for a 1978 appearance, and that The Rook didn't come out until 1977...
    Exactly... hoping for some easy money
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Traveler Philzilla is on a distinguished road Philzilla's Avatar

You should know, are the colored pages on display at the UM SK collection? Because that would settle the issue I would think.
    But your statement makes no sense, 77 is before 78, there is a 20 month gap between The Rook first being in print and The Gunslinger first appearence. SK can't pump out a short story in 20 months? What he says and publication dates are not the same thing. I can say I wrote The Gunslinger, but if I can't prove it....
    Also The Rook was in "the publication cycle" too. And did SK also say he has actually read the comic book?
    $500 million yikes, they must think they are suing James Patterson.

And look, here's Roland, Susannah and Andy

Though, Restin Dane - Roland Deschain

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

I'm not really sure about the lawsuit but this particular image is very similar to Roland as illustrated in The Waste Lands.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting that the DT books have been out for nearly 40 years with no legal action, but as soon as a Hollywood blockbuster is about to hit the scene.....
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Dark Tower lawsuit, Warren Pub claims SK is plagiarist

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Interesting that the DT books have been out for nearly 40 years with no legal action, but as soon as a Hollywood blockbuster is about to hit the scene.....
    Was thinking the same thing.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guy on the cover there looks like he's more ready for the disco scene than Roland ever was.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow. I don't know if plagiarized or not, but there are many striking resemblances between the two.

Also that gun slinging robot looks bad ass.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd like to see the original filing. Have any of the newspaper reports even mentioned what court it was filed in? Sloppy reporting.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

What a dumb lawsuit that won't possibly see a victory for this guy. So they look kind of similar? Could it be THEY BOTH BASED THE CHARACTER OFF EASTWOOD? Probably! And when Roland starts hoping through time in a tardis that is a chess piece, we'll talk about plagiarism, Jesus H Christ! What a bunch of malarkey. Is there an evil wizard Man in Black character? Is there some endgame for The Rook which involves the nexus of all universe collapsing? Does anything about the story even remotely come close to being same aside from similar protagonists? Again, what a bunch of malarkey haha.

Someone is either trying to cash in as the movie is about to come out, or they just want a moment in the sun.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Blockbuster?.....we shall see.

I dunno....Restin Dane....Roland Deschain.......kinda sounds similar to me.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This won't stand a chance in court. Saying it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

the creator of the Rook can suck my ballz
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

totally

moreover, there's ground for all kinds of similar lawsuits in tDT, the saga being explicitly based on cultural archetypes, allusions and direct quotes. That's the whole idea of the dark tower as a metaphysical object. Oh morons.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SK credited Robert Browne as the inspiration for Roland (and provided his name). thanks for posting Frik great read. I don't see them as being that alike! Talking robots, Lost in space or Dr who. Cowboys take your pick! Time travel try outlaws or time stalkers... These ideas have been around before (another turn of the wheel if it please you) SK must have dated manuscripts, surly? Just another 'punk' looking for a free meal ticket

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    totally moreover, there's ground for all kinds of similar lawsuits in tDT, the saga being explicitly based on cultural archetypes, allusions and direct quotes. That's the whole idea of the dark tower as a metaphysical object. Oh morons.
    ^^^^^^^^^Look who it is! Welcome back Jean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast