Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Going...

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

I find this piece weak, second-hand from the point of view of writing, dragging, uselessly lengthy, cliched, not really adding anything to the main story that couldn't be added in short flashbacks (like it was done in The Gunslinger).

The only comfort I can offer is that, first, it will end some day... and then, there will be some redeeming features, mainly closer to the end of the "section". And, of course, when it is finally ended and the real story comes back, that's big-time bliss!
    Jean, you are absolutely right. That's exactly how I feel! I am so glad someone else feels the same way. I was perfectly fine with the short flashbacks in The Gunslinger but a 300 page flashback about riding ponies and witches sticking their finger where it doesn't belong? I don't think so.

I can't wait until it gets back to the real story. I don't know how much more of this that I can take. I keep saying to myself, This is not The Dark Tower! The question is, will it get back to the real story and not this useless flashback?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

My experience is similar to Razz's. At the time of the first reading, I was thinking "okay, so Roland fell in love and he and his original ka-tet had to go through a lot" but the whole section felt like I was swimming uphill in snot. Once I read the rest of the story, I understood why it was necessary for me to know everything that happened. On the re-read, I savored every word of the Susan arc.

Trust me, once you get through it and read volumes V-VII, you'll understand why the entire arc was necessary.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_A View Post
    Trust me, once you get through it and read volumes V-VII, you'll understand why the entire arc was necessary.
    hmmm
    I still didn't. I might if the arc was, say, 15 degrees instead of 270.

but, Ricky - patience my friend! Soon you will be comforted. Yes, it will get back to the real story, even within this very volume.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[quote=Ricky;215612]
    I can't wait until it gets back to the real story. I don't know how much more of this that I can take. I keep saying to myself, This is not The Dark Tower! The question is, will it get back to the real story and not this useless flashback?
    Minor spoiler (don't worry it won't affect the plot it's just an answer to your question above)
    Spoiler:
    To be fair the 'flashback' does take up most of the book. (So much so I wouldn't really class it as a flashback, as 'flash' in my mind makes me think of snippets.) But yes, you do get some present day stuff later. You really do need to read the backstory though as it ties to the end part.

That being said, I liked it overall, although I wasn't all that keen on the romantic stuff. Stick at it though, there is some great stuff to come. (In my opinion, anyway, it's all so subjective isn't it?)

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

but, Ricky - patience my friend! Soon you will be comforted. Yes, it will get back to the real story, even within this very volume.
    Jean, you don't understand (actually, you do)! I don't know how much more I can read without going braindead. I keep zoning out and having to read passages over again.

Well...this is going to take me awhile.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Patience. If I could do that, you can. I promise a few quite good Easter eggs once you are past the Equator line.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to hold you to that promise, Jean.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I second everything Jean said. He and I are of one mind on W&G. I, too, was of the original readership who "waited all those years" for... this?! Kitty said what?

Good luck!
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved it on my initial read, but have struggled with it on rereads.

Its very Mills and Boon-ish at times - although, seeing this side of Roland was what made me love it so much first time round.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I love the book for the sole reason that it stands outside what happens later.

It seems "true" if that makes sense. Sure, it drags but I love it for what it represents in the same way I loved the sidebars in DTI concerning Roland's rise to manhood.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I loved and still love it because it is about Roland. That's all it ever needed to be to keep my interest.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Keep reading. I have met some fellas all around who weren't satisfied and could hardly read this book at the begining but got to like it at the end.
    For me it's a marvellous book. I hope you can find some good in it.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure there's good parts in it (the first part was excellent). It's just that this section is unbelieveably slow and uninteresting (IMO).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

jean and woofer -- you're both killing me here. just killing me.

now that i can breath again:

ricky just hang in there. the first time i read this book, it was high on my list of favorites (not just DT favorites, but all time favorites). this reread, however, changed all that. as i have said in numerous threads, ad nauseum.

you must read it though. so much happens in this book that will be pivotal to later books. so much will make sense later, and will make sense in the future, (if you see the difference i'm trying to make) once this book is past. just think of it as a very, very, very, very, very, very, very long blaine ride.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    just think of it as a very, very, very, very, very, very, very long blaine ride.
    But I alrready went through the Blaine ride! I don't want to go on another!!!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved this book. It was something new in the series. And there is some good stuff that will happen. Trust me stick it out.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I managed to read 20 more pages of it the other day. Urgh.

When does it end? :annoyed:
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ricky, you might have had too big expectations. Hey, it's about Roland's past, does this fact make it any better?
    For me everything about Roland and his life is interesting (for me at least). Even the way he goes to the toilet or the way he rolls his cigarette.
    I can understand if someone doesn't get hooked on this book (we all are different) but don't forget it's your Roland, the gunslinger you really care about so whatever he does... it can't be so damn boring.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Ricky, you might have had too big expectations. Hey, it's about Roland's past, does this fact make it any better?

I can understand if someone doesn't get hooked on this book (we all are different) but don't forget it's your Roland, the gunslinger you really care about so whatever he does... it can't be so damn boring.
    I don't think I had too big expectations. I was liking it just fine until we go into this ginormous flashback. I'm really not one for flashbacks that far back. I just feel like there is so much to explain in the present situation...why go into the past?

Once he starts to get into the Tower and connect with some things that we've established already, it'll get better. Right now it just feels like a whole different series.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Don't you see the old killing gunslinger in that young boy?
    Isn't it interesting to get a window where you can get some answers why he is how he is?
    I wouldn't like to be pushy let me know if I should stop.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Isn't it interesting to get a window where you can get some answers why he is how he is?
    I'd like to go through that window, yes. Right now, that window is locked and I'm waiting for something interesting to come along and unlock it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

tell me where you are, I'll tell you how much longer you have to suffer and when anything interesting will happen

Nikolett: ok, we learned that before the real story started Roland wasn't anything special. Good. How long did it have to take that point to be proved? He was one thousand times as much interesting in the Unrevised flashbacks, and they (especially Hax hanging) told me so much more about Roland than this bland, endless story where he doesn't even do anything but standing there with a thumb up his ass.

Country
    Country Flag

I am around page 200 at the part where Roland met Susan at Thorin's "for the first time".

He was one thousand times as much interesting in the Unrevised flashbacks, and they (especially Hax hanging) told me so much more about Roland than this bland, endless story where he doesn't even do anything but standing there with a thumb up his ass.
    Exactly, Jean!! Nothing interesting is happening! They might as well throw in another 300 page flashback of Roland's first words or first steps. After that, we can learn what Roland ate for breakfast. Then, we can learn what Roland's favorite board game was.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    They might as well throw in another 300 page flashback of Roland's first words or first steps. After that, we can learn what Roland ate for breakfast. Then, we can learn what Roland's favorite board game was.
    If only...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky
    I am around page 200 at the part where Roland met Susan at Thorin's "for the first time".
    good news: it won't get any worse. In fact, it will get better (with occasional relapses... sometimes rather long ones)

wonderful news: go on reading, and you'll immediately come across one of the best scenes ever written! (yes, in this very book! surprise surprise!)

bad news: there'll be not too many such scenes there... (but I guarantee at least one more; to my personal taste, about half a dozen pretty decent pieces)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast