Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Going...

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Stick with it, pablo. During my first journey for the Dark Tower, The Gunslinger and W&G were my two least faves.

When I re-read the series, these were the two MOST anticipated books. And, they far exceeded my desires.

As with most, it's interesting to learn more of Roland as a youth. I absolutely love the story that unfolds when we first start across the desert. W&G compliments it.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I, too, was a King fan first - last and always, too. The Stand is my favorite of his individual novels (complete and uncut, say thankya). The Dark Tower... well, sigh, TDT is one of my all-time favorite book series.
    I very much agree with this, and it makes me an even bigger King fan in the process. So much to love and cherish.

I don't agree on Jeans point though. I think W&G gave is more than a flashback, it gave us a workable representation of Roland's world in the last of its light. I was personally aching for more insight but it did drag the first time. For me, the beauty of the story really comes out when taken in context of the whole series.

That ache for insight, its still going on which is why I'm all over this comic series.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Don't get me wrong. I was glad and grateful for the backstory, but I did not like the romance aspect. I know it was critical in understanding how and why Roldand is as is he is, but I don't have to like it. Every single time I read

Spoiler:
    Susan's pondering if she had met Cuthbert first,

I think to myself 'Man, I sure wish you had.' However, I love all the non-romance parts.

Also, I will admit that each reading is minutely faster and the romance part microscopically less annoying.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think W&G gave is more than a flashback, it gave us a workable representation of Roland's world in the last of its light. ... For me, the beauty of the story really comes out when taken in context of the whole series.
    Same here. It was a look at his world the way it was. Call it a flashback if you will, but I learned more about Roland and his world from that book than I had from any others to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That ache for insight, its still going on which is why I'm all over this comic series.
    Not long now!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually liked The Gunslinger a lot. I just can't wait to get back to the present and continue the journey.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I must say the story really picked up later. I read about a hundred pages this past Sunday, which is huge for me, as I'm a slow reader. It was very good! I now have about just a quarter to go (around page 550 of the Grant hardcover, as they prepare their sabotage and Roland and Susan are said to be "together"
    Spoiler:
    for the last time).
    Last edited by Letti; 04-04-2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spoiler

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Let us know what you think about this book when you are finished. I am happy to see you find it interesting.

Roland would have understood.

Traveler dancingnancies is on a distinguished road

just finished WnG i agree with the previous guy about it being slow at the onset of the novel, it took me about a month to get throught the first 250 pgs. and about 4 days for the remainder...in the end i think i appreciated the long slow build up with the rapid fire ending...

also, i am a DT fan more than a SK fan at this point...i have only started to read the talisman and couldnt really get into before a friend ttold me i MUST read the DT...so i guess it remains to be seen if this series will convert me to a SK constant reader...as i type this i am opeing WOLVES for the first time...i can only hope it is ka's will that i am this excited after i finish the next installment...

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Yeah, Wizard and Glass was a different way of writing, very non-linear. But given that you don't know much about why Roland is the way he is (and being a unique character, you might want that), it makes sense to have it here. Plus I think there's a bit of foreshadowing in there that's crucial to the plot of the story....

I myself had difficulty getting used to it, but it ended up being very deep, and so it graduated from "mere" excitement and entertainment into the truly "moving." That's where it really starts to be about people, and to be "literary" (if I use the word aright).

Anyway, I'm more of a Dark Tower fan than a Stephen King fan in general, but I have enjoyed some of the King's non-Dark Tower books (bearing in mind I haven't read that many). Insomnia makes the top of that list so far.

But I am inspired to read more Stephen King as a result (and especially with all the connections involved!).

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

dancingnancies, I know the feeling altought I do love Stephen King I prefer to call myself a DT junkie.
    I have read W&G many times and I can't get bored of it. And for my part I don't find it slow (but I can understand the ones who do) because I find every sentence interesting in it.

Along the Path of the Beam bodacious ta-tas is on a distinguished road bodacious ta-tas's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm re-reading the series (about 4th time, cause I've re-read the first books years ago) and am on W&G now. I remember the first time reading it, I was also kind of impatient to get back to the "main" characters in the story. But now, I'm drinking in every word, and I find Roland's past extremely fascinating.
    I think if you look at this part as a flashback, your not letting yourself enjoy this story, cause you're waiting to get back to the main story. We are given fair warning of Roland's upcoming tale. Jake asks if it's gonna be a Western, and Eddie says, "All of his stories are Westerns" (not an exact quote-don't have book at work). Also, we leave Roland, Eddie, and Susannah at a comfortable part in their travels;
    Spoiler:
    they have made it through traveling on Blaine, they have made it through Lud, and they are not in immenent danger.
    If SK had left them in a cliffhanger suituation, it would have made it difficult to forget about them for the time it takes to hear Roland's story.

John F. Kennedy Scar is on a distinguished road Scar's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am about one third of the way through W&G. I must admit that I had no idea this lengthy flashback was coming. I was so into the main story line that I was first very disappointed in the f/b. Now as I am getting into the story of the f/b, I can't wait until I get back to the main story with the knowledge I will have after W&G. It is still slower going than it was before but I am forcing myself to read.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that's what I felt when I was reading it the first time...

... nothing changed on re-reads, either

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

For my part I hoped it would never end.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Well, I must say the story really picked up later. I read about a hundred pages this past Sunday, which is huge for me, as I'm a slow reader. It was very good! I now have about just a quarter to go (around page 550 of the Grant hardcover, as they prepare their sabotage and Roland and Susan are said to be "together"
    Spoiler:
    for the last time).
    so pablo. how's it going on this? almost finished? finished? already travelling in the calla? enquiring minds want to know

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I am about one third of the way through W&G. I must admit that I had no idea this lengthy flashback was coming. I was so into the main story line that I was first very disappointed in the f/b. Now as I am getting into the story of the f/b, I can't wait until I get back to the main story with the knowledge I will have after W&G. It is still slower going than it was before but I am forcing myself to read.
    scar, try not to look at this as just a flashback. try to look at this as part of the reason what you call the main story is going in the direction that it's going in. i loved wizard and glass, couldn't put it down so i read it through in one long sitting - all afternoon, all night, into the next morning. then when i fell asleep i dreamed. . . well, mayhap we'll talk about that when you're finished. stay with it, it's well worth it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Spoiler:
    for the last time).
    so pablo. how's it going on this? almost finished? finished? already travelling in the calla? enquiring minds want to know
    Not yet, unfortunately. Haven't had much free time lately, so the book has stalled with around 50 pages to go. Itching to get back to it

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

>scar, try not to look at this as just a flashback.

I agree. The Dark Tower series is every bit about the adventures the ka-tet have on their way to the Tower as it is about the quest itself. (Actually, I would argue more so.) Roland's earlier adventures should be viewed as part of that, the first adventure if you will, which set him on that quest.

I did find the whole backstory (not flashback mind, as it is most of the book!) dragged a bit for me too. But when I got into it, it was fine, and I enjoyed myself. (I wasn't keen on the romantic stuff mind, but that's just my own personal taste.) Actually, as far as a good old fashioned adventure is concerned, I reckon that story ticks most of the boxes.
    Spoiler:
    You might notice that much of the plot resolutions are taken from within the story rather than silver bullets apparently popping out of nowhere. The latter is understandable in this series where coincidence is suspended and ka rules all, but it's nice to see King write a story that doesn't rely on those rules.

It was also nice to see a depiction of that world that was a true living breathing place in it's own world, something that started in The Waste Lands I think with the country training and the folk of River Crossing and Ludd. Before then it was more like a dream world with thin places and doors in mid air. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it's nice to have the balance.) Sure there is a thinnie near Hambry, but
    Spoiler:
    it's main purpose in this book is that of a hazard, a monster, rather than a doorway between worlds.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Yeah, don't worry about me, I was just kidding with you. Also, I'm not anti-social, just psychotic.
    Actauly hes an anti-social phychopath.

And keep going with W&G, i promise you wont be dissapointed.

And just as a statment this isnt the first time ive heard somone say this about this book, and to be honest it suprises me every time, for me it was the best one. I found it hard to put down.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Very good observation Brainslinger, I completely agree with that.

W&G, within the context of the whole series is special to me because it represents things which could be considered
    Spoiler:
    outside the loop
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Well I just finished the "flashback" portion of the novel, and just started the last "present time" part. I must say, I was a little sad it was over, probably because it ended rather abruptly. Looking back, I think it was, of course, the right decision. Just a tad jarring at first. Overall, I greatly enjoyed this volume, still have about 50 pages to go, but for me The Drawing of the Three remains the best one thus far. Eagerly anticipating starting the next book.

Country
    Country Flag

Pablo, I am really really happy you could enjoy it.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Part II: Susan --No Spoilers Please

I read The Dark Tower 1-3 and am now reading Wizard and Glass. I really thought that this would be my favorite one out of the series. I'm almost to page 200 and I can't bear to read it anymore. It was fine up until Part II: Susan. It just all went downhill from there. Now it feels like it's a whole different book.

I've been trying to get past this section for 3-4 days now and I'm finding it harder and harder to do so. Up until this section, I couldn't wait to keep reading. Now it just feels like punishment to read this section.

Is this section crucial to the story? If so, why do I find it so hard to get into? I was really enjoying the series and I hope that it starts to get better.

Did anyone else find this section hard to read in Wizard and Glass?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ricky I do so feel your pain! you are telling me my own story now, - only I was waiting for that volume for years, and when Alexander brought it to me from London I couldn't, for the only time in the long history of our friendship, wait for him to go back to England so I could relish the contituation of the old story of Roland and Eddie and Susannah and Jake - and then oops.

Please do not understand it that I hated it only because of that frustration, though. I already wrote about it elsewhere (I am afraid, everywhere would be more correct) - I find this piece weak, second-hand from the point of view of writing, dragging, uselessly lengthy, cliched, not really adding anything to the main story that couldn't be added in short flashbacks (like it was done in The Gunslinger).

The only comfort I can offer is that, first, it will end some day... and then, there will be some redeeming features, mainly closer to the end of the "section". And, of course, when it is finally ended and the real story comes back, that's big-time bliss!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

well my first read i found the whole flashback so boring i could hardly pay attention, and would randomly skip pages. the second time through i couldn't stop myself from reading it, and even threw a chair when the light bulb in my room died in the middle of reading

Country
    Country Flag

doesn't it only mean that years of school education have finally wrecked your nervous system? I would throw a chair should my light bulb die even if I was reading Selected Inaugural Addresses... or Mein Kampf...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast