Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 392 of 644 FirstFirst ... 292 342 382 390 391 392 393 394 402 442 492 ... LastLast
Results 9,776 to 9,800 of 16091

Thread: Suntup Editions

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    When designing the editions, I ask myself a question: How does this story make me feel? If I can evoke similar emotions out of the binding design when handling the book, feeling the texture of the covering material, etc., what happens then is that we create a cohesiveness between physical object, and the story contained within. It becomes a fully integrated experience; something complete and visceral.
    What is it about The Lottery that made you think of stingray skin? A truly visceral reading experience aligned with the story would be a cover made out of stone(s), highly impractical and cost inefficient as it would be.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    When designing the editions, I ask myself a question: How does this story make me feel? If I can evoke similar emotions out of the binding design when handling the book, feeling the texture of the covering material, etc., what happens then is that we create a cohesiveness between physical object, and the story contained within. It becomes a fully integrated experience; something complete and visceral.
    What is it about The Lottery that made you think of stingray skin? A truly visceral reading experience aligned with the story would be a cover made out of stone(s), highly impractical and cost inefficient as it would be.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that The Lottery made me think of Stingray. I did consider stones, but yes they could prove impractical like you say. I went with a less literal approach, and felt it was a good fit. The texture of the skin feels like small stones, so there is that connection. There is also the crown at the center, sort of ties into the paper with the black spot, although reversed in this case. But I wanted it to expose something deeper than that. Take a look at how Jackson's story was received when it was first published (I'll link to two interesting articles below). And also consider how you feel when you read it, particularly the end. I wanted to create something that would dip into that well of emotions, and judging by some earlier comments, I guess I succeeded. To me, that's visceral; by creating this deep connection to the story, through our emotions.

Spoiler:

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

congrats, willie3! beautiful books, as always! now i've just got to read it
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Got my copy. It'll go next to Hill House. VERY cool!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I once swam with stingrays. Very cool experience. The way people are reacting to the lettered of this, is the way I reacted to the numbered of Horns. I love snakes (and stingrays). I was upset at first but later, after a few conversations, I felt better about it. Also, I was told that snakes play a roll in that book so that was the reason Suntup did that. It looks like a really cool version of the book and of course I will be jealous of all those who get the lettered.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yea, I was thinking the same thing Jeff.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When it comes to leather, exotic or otherwise, animals killed solely for their skins is not something I would ever get involved with. The leather suppliers we use follow state, federal and international laws regarding the sale of exotic leather. We'll never use skins from endangered animals, and the animals are not hunted for their skins. In this case, they are a byproduct of the commercial fishing industry. There are lines I will not cross, and any supplier I buy from, I look into them and make sure they are operating above board.
    For anyone interested in more details, here is a link to the CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) appendices: https://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php

CITES is the multinational convention enacted in the 1970s to regulate the import and export of animals to protect endangered species, and species in danger of becoming endangered (aka "vulnerable" species). Appendix I animals are prohibited for commercial use and can only be imported and exported with permits for things like scientific use. Appendix II animals are not endangered but either (a) look like an endangered species, or (b) may become endangered if trade is not controlled. Appendix III is country specific - because not all animals are equally distributed throughout their natural habitats, it may be the case that an animal is only endangered in one specific location, but not others.

Because most of the commercially available stingray leather is the by-product of farmed or fished stingray consumption in Asia and parts of South America, and the rays used for consumption are not currently endangered or vulnerable, it is not listed on Appendix I or Appendix II. There are 8 species placed on Appendix III by Colombia and 1 species placed on Appendix III by Brazil, so imported stingray leather from those countries may be problematic for those regional ecosystems even though those particular species are not in danger elsewhere. There are of course lots of stingrays that are not consumed for food, and of these there are a number of species that are vulnerable or endangered, so US-based leather importers are wise to make sure that their supply chains do not involve these species, which are illegally fished, lest they lose their import licenses and their businesses.

EDIT: To add an interesting thing I came across that's not related to the conservation status of stingrays.

Apparently, the skins are very, very tough, and the composition of the skin makes it very hard to dye, so they are finished in a process that's more akin to painting than dyeing. This is the point at which the white eye-shape is added to the skin, to draw attention to the pattern of the largest nodules on the back, which are actually significantly sanded down from how they originally appear on the skin!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    congrats, willie3! beautiful books, as always! now i've just got to read it
    Ditto!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I wouldn't necessarily say that The Lottery made me think of Stingray. I did consider stones, but yes they could prove impractical like you say. I went with a less literal approach, and felt it was a good fit. The texture of the skin feels like small stones, so there is that connection. There is also the crown at the center, sort of ties into the paper with the black spot, although reversed in this case. But I wanted it to expose something deeper than that. Take a look at how Jackson's story was received when it was first published (I'll link to two interesting articles below). And also consider how you feel when you read it, particularly the end. I wanted to create something that would dip into that well of emotions, and judging by some earlier comments, I guess I succeeded. To me, that's visceral; by creating this deep connection to the story, through our emotions.

Spoiler:
    Thanks for the thoughtful response and insightful articles.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Your mention of a cover made of stone reminded me of a meeting I had a few years back with a paper supplier. One of the new paper lines he was showing was made from crushed limestone instead of the usual wood pulp or cotton.
    It felt like the inside of a balloon, so I wouldn't want a book printed on it, but it would be interesting for this particular story.
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger Apprentice Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Yea, I was thinking the same thing Jeff.
    Now, one can only imagine how gorgeous the ARC will be....if there is one. 🤭

I missed out on Hill House and (one day) i'll buy a copy of that, i'll just need to save up for that. 😉
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

I'm selling my collection of Suntup numbered editions. Please get in touch if you're interested in one or more of the books listed below.

Some points to note:
    - All books are number #158
    - All books are new and unread
    - All swag (bookmarks, art prints, envelopes) is included
    - Original shipping boxes are included
    - I am open to offers if you're interested in multiple books.
    - Fixed fee of $25 for worldwide shipping with tracking, signature upon delivery and insurance.

With that out of the way, here are the books:

- Misery (with "Annie" remarque, penguin and paperweight) - $5,500
    - The Haunting of Hill House (with planchette) - $850
    - Horns (with portfolio and paperweight) - $875
    - Rosemary's Baby (with "O" and "E" scrabble tiles) - $700
    - The Road - $750
    - Brother - $200
    - I Am Legend - $650
    - The Time Machine - $425
    - The Invisible Man - $425
    - The War of the Worlds - $525
    - Red Dragon - $950
    - Fahrenheit 451 -$700 SOLD (listing sale price here as a reference)

- Full H.G. Wells set - $1,295 ($80 off)

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It looks like Paul has already made an upgrade to the lettered edition!

The original posting advertised handmade paper from a company called Twinrocker in Indiana, and the page now states that the paper is handmade Velke Losiny paper from the Czech Republic. I'll leave it up to interested folks to look it up further, but that paper mill has been around since 1596 (one site states that the owner's wife was burned at the stake in the medieval witch trials!) and makes, arguably, the best handmade paper in the world. I have had the delightful experience of feeling Velke Losiny paper and it's absolutely marvelous! The only word I can think of to describe it is "buttery" - it's rich and thick and super soft and you can immediately tell that it's different from any other paper you've seen. Cool stuff!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And will be possessed by said late wife.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just looked and I have ordered 6 books since Jan including this month’s 🤭🤭

I know I am going to find it hard to let any of them go, given how much I love my time machine, but I might have to at a later date (but ensuring I keep my spot). waited so long to get on this trail, don’t want to step off.

Historically bought only what I liked, and this is a little different in approach (buying to ensure I get the next) but know one million percent I like Suntup!

(Edited to add, this sounds like I only buy to get the next option, that is so far from the truth, but this month’s is probably the closest in that description)

I re-read the lottery last night, and enjoyed (if the right word) it a lot more this time. So the combination of staying on the Suntup path, and appreciating what a hell of a short story, added it to the list of purchases.
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Gunslinger Apprentice Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

This could very well become my first numbered Suntup edition, if there are any left by the time the public pre-order goes out. 😎

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Noxus35 View Post
    This could very well become my first numbered Suntup edition, if there are any left by the time the public pre-order goes out.
    I definitely think you’ll have a shot. Just be ready when the link goes live. I think at 9am PST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

This could very well become my first numbered Suntup edition, if there are any left by the time the public pre-order goes out.
    I definitely think you’ll have a shot. Just be ready when the link goes live. I think at 9am PST.

Thanks! Off course i'll be ready for it, logged in and with an itchy "triggerfinger". 😁

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I know there's been some criticism of The Lottery due to the page count, but I see it as just one more example of Paul's willingness to do something perceived as unusual because he believes the work is worth it. (Yes, The Lottery often comes packaged with other stories, but a special edition of The Lottery exists in the first place because of The Lottery specifically, so I love the idea of a standalone edition).

Now let's see a standalone of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward!
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks! Off course i'll be ready for it, logged in and with an itchy "triggerfinger". 😁
    I have found that having your payment details already existing in Suntup account will speed the purchase, or if PayPal, logged in too.

PayPal got me through Suntup in less than a minute (red dragon confirmation at 9.01)

Sorry if teaching grandma to suck eggs, but hopefully helps.

Country
    Country Flag

Ps wonder if there will be a lottery for The Lottery (lettered)

My Mood
    Cool

I think you should a good shot at getting one. I don't want to give way how may are left, by you should have a good shot at it.

Country
    Country Flag

I think you should a good shot at getting one. I don't want to give way how may are left, by you should have a good shot at it.
    I'm pretty sure there will be fewer copies of The Lottery available for the public preorder than were available for Red Dragon which sold out in 26 minutes. But then again F451 had fewer available than RD and it took much longer to sell out. But both sold out the same day and I expect that trend to continue with The Lottery.

My Mood
    Cool

I agree that they will sell will probably sell out the same day but I hope for people who want it, it's more than 2 min. We shall see.

Country
    Country Flag

I agree that they will sell will probably sell out the same day but I hope for people who want it, it's more than 2 min. We shall see.
    Hahaha Yeah it should hang on longer than Misery!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 392 of 644 FirstFirst ... 292 342 382 390 391 392 393 394 402 442 492 ... LastLast