Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 347 of 644 FirstFirst ... 247 297 337 345 346 347 348 349 357 397 447 ... LastLast
Results 8,651 to 8,675 of 16091

Thread: Suntup Editions

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Question for Paul:

When it comes to retaining our number, does it matter if we purchase during the public or private order window? For example, I wrestled with my internal accountant about buying the complete Wells set for so long that by the time I bought The Time Machine it was during the public preorder phase. I assumed since I bought direct from you my number for The Time Machine would match my number for I Am Legend. But a convo emerged on the social media and it woke up my anxiety (not tough to do since my anxiety never sleeps or closes its eyes or relinquishes control of my brain). So I thought I'd put the question to you here in case anyone else's anxiety needed some fuel. Does it matter if it's public or private as long as it's direct from you?

Sincerely,

Jeff's Anxiety
    I am not Paul, but I play Paul on the internet sometimes.

It doesn't matter. The owner of the previous volume will retain their number as long as they purchase each requisite volume whether purchased during the presale or the public sale.
    That was my assumption. But I also expect to be hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

It matters not kind sir. Br!an, AKA Paul-on-the-internet is correct.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    It matters not kind sir. Br!an, AKA Paul-on-the-internet is correct.
    Well thank you for sending my anxiety back into watchful slumber. I appreciate it.

Along the Path of the Beam Ockhamistic has a spectacular aura about Ockhamistic has a spectacular aura about Ockhamistic's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hello, everyone.

I own one of the 26 lettered copies of “The Bridges of Madison County,” and I’m wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing it from me. As you can clearly see, I don’t have much of a visible history on tdt.org. (I’ve been more of a reclusive lurker.). However, I have sold some fairly high-priced items directly to a few members on this site, and I’m sure they would vouch for me. Also, I’m zoohim on eBay, where I’ve made some sales and have a perfect buying and selling history. If you’re at all interested in this book, please feel free to message me.

Best,
    Michael

P.S.-I apologize ahead of time if I’ve posted this in the wrong place.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I know I am behind, but I just got my copy of Brother (bought through CD) and I had to pop on here and tell Paul how gorgeous it is. It's such a simple design but I am completely in love with it. Plus I love seeing a lesser know author get such treatment. What a gorgeous addition to my collection. Excellent work!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ockhamistic View Post
    Hello, everyone.

I own one of the 26 lettered copies of “The Bridges of Madison County,” and I’m wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing it from me. As you can clearly see, I don’t have much of a visible history on tdt.org. (I’ve been more of a reclusive lurker.). However, I have sold some fairly high-priced items directly to a few members on this site, and I’m sure they would vouch for me. Also, I’m zoohim on eBay, where I’ve made some sales and have a perfect buying and selling history. If you’re at all interested in this book, please feel free to message me.

Best,
    Michael

Gonna go ahead and say here that I purchased an extremely rare item from Michael several years ago, have purchased several very nice items since, and not only is he a great seller but he ships in perhaps the best packaging I've ever experienced (and that includes Paul's foam inserts).

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Well, I know I am behind, but I just got my copy of Brother (bought through CD) and I had to pop on here and tell Paul how gorgeous it is. It's such a simple design but I am completely in love with it. Plus I love seeing a lesser know author get such treatment. What a gorgeous addition to my collection. Excellent work!!!!!!
    Congrats!!

I think that this is possibly the Suntup book with the best price-to-quality ratio of anything done so far. Absolutely beautiful and well done in every way - a visual and tactile treat - and at the lowest price available for any Suntup numbered. If you are or have ever been on the fence about this one, definitely pull the trigger now before these eventually sell out!!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hello, everyone.

Best,
    Michael

100% good seller here. I know Michael well and we chat often

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Suntup Press

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Dez!! Where you been. Good to see you and thanks for that. I’m pleased you like it.

Regarding Michael, I will also chip in and say yes he’s a good man!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Some randomness for the People....
    Hey Paul, I decided to get my The Shining print signed by Danny Lloyd after examining it closely (which I should have done first thing) I noticed a ding so I thought "why not?" He and his handler were both very interested in Suntup Editions and I gave them the website and told them as much as I could about your lovely books before the folks in line behind me starting getting antsy. I might have sent some new customers your way, not sure but I hope so!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Hey Paul, I decided to get my The Shining print signed by Danny Lloyd after examining it closely (which I should have done first thing) I noticed a ding so I thought "why not?" He and his handler were both very interested in Suntup Editions and I gave them the website and told them as much as I could about your lovely books before the folks in line behind me starting getting antsy. I might have sent some new customers your way, not sure but I hope so!
    OMG--what if, through all the crazy twists and turns and byways that have radiated out from your interaction with this actor, this turns into a Suntup edition of The Shining. And before everyone groans and rushes over to my channel to thumb down all my videos, let me just say I DON'T CARE that The Shining was done by everyone in the last 10 years or whatever. I don't care. I just don't. And there's no argument you can use against that. Because it takes two to argue. And I'm not arguing. Just ask my wife.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Tommy! That’s very cool.

Mr. Terry. Although highly unlikely, it would make for a good story.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Mr. Terry. Although highly unlikely, it would make for a good story.
    A good story and a fantastic edition of one of my favorite King books. But I could imagine the creative fatigue of taking on such a project. What more needs to be done that hasn't already been done to death? No, the Jeff from 13 minutes ago was an idiot. The Jeff now is also an idiot but for different reasons.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

OMG--what if, through all the crazy twists and turns and byways that have radiated out from your interaction with this actor, this turns into a Suntup edition of The Shining. And before everyone groans and rushes over to my channel to thumb down all my videos, let me just say I DON'T CARE that The Shining was done by everyone in the last 10 years or whatever. I don't care. I just don't. And there's no argument you can use against that. Because it takes two to argue. And I'm not arguing. Just ask my wife.
    lol

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

The Centipede Press proposal of The Shining that SK turned down in 2006 should have and would have been the definitive edition. I'm sure Paul would come up with an incredible version as well but if he ever gets another SK opportunity I would love to see Different Seasons receive the Suntup Treatment. DS spawned arguably two of SK's best ever movie adaptations and is a well deserving candidate.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    The Centipede Press proposal of The Shining that SK turned down in 2006 should have and would have been the definitive edition. I'm sure Paul would come up with an incredible version as well but if he ever gets another SK opportunity I would love to see Different Seasons receive the Suntup Treatment. DS spawned arguably two of SK's best ever movie adaptations and is a well deserving candidate.
    I couldln't have said it better. I'd only add that when I interviewed Michael Whelan looong time ago he said he'd like to illustrate a limited edition of Different Seasons.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post

I couldln't have said it better. I'd only add that when I interviewed Michael Whelan looong time ago he said he'd like to illustrate a limited edition of Different Seasons.[/QUOTE]

Paul previously stated that he has a book in the pipeline that has weighed in at approx 1000 pages. Could Different Seasons be that book? Or is it Clive Barker's Imajica?

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not allowed to answer that
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

If it were Different seasons, that would practically double the page count of the original book. I guess with the right paper and printing it could be done. Imajica is over 800 pages to begin with so that would probably be easier to stretch to 1,000 pages. Or, that 1,000 page book could be something completely different which makes this so exciting.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    If it were Different seasons, that would practically double the page count of the original book. I guess with the right paper and printing it could be done. Imajica is over 800 pages to begin with so that would probably be easier to stretch to 1,000 pages. Or, that 1,000 page book could be something completely different which makes this so exciting.
    Yeah. It's totally Imajica.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Hello, everyone.

Best,
    Michael

100% good seller here. I know Michael well and we chat often

You are in good hands with Michael. Hey, Michael! Cool to see you on here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Yeah. It's totally Imajica.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    I think that this is possibly the Suntup book with the best price-to-quality ratio of anything done so far. Absolutely beautiful and well done in every way - a visual and tactile treat - and at the lowest price available for any Suntup numbered. If you are or have ever been on the fence about this one, definitely pull the trigger now before these eventually sell out!!
    I'll argue that the AGE's are the best price-to-quality ratio.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    I'll argue that the AGE's are the best price-to-quality ratio.
    I admit that I wasn't thinking of the AGEs here, which are extremely well priced considering their quality! But to me, Brother still stands out. The main reason for this is the handmade Indiana Walnut paper on the boards. And the reason that I think this is so important is also one of the main reasons that I think Dragon Rebound and Suntup Editions are the premier small press English language publishers: creative use of materials.

In my view, most other small press publishers are actually rather conservative in their use of different materials. Everyone knows that they need to use nice paper, it's just a matter of how nice. Same with sewn bindings, which most are doing, though not everyone pays equal attention to the pattern of the head and tail bands that are used. The boards are where publishers seem to experiment the most. Nicer small presses are going to use at least cloth on everything, with varying degrees of quality, and usually include some stamping. Then you get into leather, and, again, the degree here is the quality - from bonded leather to goatskin. And I think that most small press publishers are aware of the differences of all of these choices and try to balance quality and cost to hit a certain price point.

(An aside here: this is also one of the reasons that Paul's "upgrades" are such nice gestures - the books are already paid for, so deciding to add leather where there wasn't leather before, or upgrade materials, is a decision that comes straight out of the profit margins. And yes, yes we all know that Paul was a collector first and the love of books is the driving forces behind these presses, but it still very definitely deserves a mention that there have been several occasions in which a design upgrade took four or five figures right out-of-pocket. He could have gone on a fancy and well-deserved vacation, or maybe bought himself a lettered The Regulators, but instead we got quarter leather for The Road!)

Anyway, I think that publishers are very cognizant of quality for all of these items. We see different kinds of leather in various lettered editions at different price points. Sub Press has gotten quite good at reviving and revitalizing the use of marbled paper boards that for hundreds of years was probably the most prominent mark of a nicely-bound book. LetterPress took stamping to the next level with Revival.

What I don't see from most other publishers, is the type of lateral thinking into using other different kinds of materials for the books (mostly the boards). Joe Stefko at Charnel House did collectors and future publishers a solid in the early 1990s when he started experimenting with embedding things in the boards. The tarot card and poker chips in Last Call, obviously the bullets in The Regulators, which get A++ extra credit for being so crazy as to necessitate some creativity with the box, and still later with the toe tag in Appointment on Sunset. In between there were some interesting moves with mica chips, fingernail marks, stitches, and other cool stuff.

From what I've seen, DRE and SE are the only presses that have really taken this baton and run further with it (though I need to mention Zagava, and have before, but they produce a very different set of authors and come in at different price points). The embedded keys in Misery were a pretty direct extension of that style, but with just perfect design and execution, a pinnacle of the "embed-things-in-boards" technique. But the actual materials being used in DRE and SE, especially in the lettered editions, are wildly inventive - wood! stone! metal! snakeskin!

And this is where the numbered Brother comes in.

The AGEs, as fantastic and well-priced as they are, represent the more traditional differences in quality - they are good in part because they take the traditional materials, and present high quality versions of them at a very nice price. And this is elevated by the design (like the letters on the Misery AGE cloth or the two dustjackets for Rosemary's Baby). But if everything in your collection is bookboard or cloth or leather, and you've never held something truly different, the numbered Brother is going to be unlike any other book you've touched. It's going to open the door of possibility for what a limited edition book can be. And it's precisely this kind of creative use of materials that, to me, elevate a "book" into an "object of art".

I really think if you are a beginning collector, or a collector who stays in the more wallet-friendly range of collecting, or hell, even a more advanced and deeper pocketed collector who might already have a lettered edition, or two, (or dozens!), but has never seen something truly different, then $275 for the numbered Brother is really going to shake you and open your eyes to a new kind of limited edition!

So, overall, I agree that the price-to-quality ratio is very high in the AGEs, perhaps even moreso than Brother, but the price-to-book-as-art ratio (the price-to-wow-factor ratio?) of the numbered Brother is as-of-yet unmatched.

Well, that was 800+ words about the numbered Brother! Did not plan on doing that today

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

tl;dr

Spoiler:
    In all seriousness, well said. I always love reading your "rants."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 347 of 644 FirstFirst ... 247 297 337 345 346 347 348 349 357 397 447 ... LastLast