Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 570 of 645 FirstFirst ... 70 470 520 560 568 569 570 571 572 580 620 ... LastLast
Results 14,226 to 14,250 of 16102

Thread: Suntup Editions

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, best part!!!!!!
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

You guys are going to make me watch the entire video again, not that it's a bad thing.

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BrewMeister View Post
    Paul knocked it out of the park with this one. 'Course I said that with Moreau, and Silence, and Neuromancer, and F451, and Horns, and...

He's hitting so many home runs he needs an MLB moniker, a la Hammering Hank. Maybe henceforth Pummeling Paul Suntup?
    "Pounding Paul"?

EDIT: Or based on his avatar, maybe, simply, The "Bat" Man?
    The Bat Man. Nice!
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Gunslinger Apprentice Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GenericEric View Post
    Another announcement from the facebook live video yesterday that some might have missed.

Paul confirmed we will be getting a third Suntup release of Ania Ahlborn at some point!
    Ooh, that's great!

I need to watch the rest of the video. I usually watch the Facebook live videos during a break at work. But yesterday's video exceeded my break time, haha!

Very excited for the Burke collection, by the way! Picked up my numbered and AE.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

So I need to vent a little. Just a little.

Paul does a Q&A with the invitation to ASK ANYTHING. And when he goes live he frontloads all the hardest, most negative questions first. He doesn't censor the questions, instead reading them to us. He didn't name names or shame anyone. He simply pointed out how some opinions are uninformed yet stated as fact. The chatter had to be addressed. A lot of the negativity seemed to be lifted directly from the Library Thing thread. But go to that thread now and see how they've responded to Paul's responses and it's childish. To save you the trouble here are their stances:
    • Why did Paul bother responding to our questions? He sounded defensive.
    • Paul should have just said a few words and moved on.
    • The books aren't worth the money, they can hardly be considered fine press, the authors Suntup selects are largely unworthy. Why can't I buy the ones I want?
    • We're really just concerned for people buying things they can't afford. Like a group of elitist snob superheroes here to save the sheep from the slaughter.
    • The admins of the Suntup FB page are fomenting a cult where no negativity is allowed. They should not be so happy!
    • Paul states that he can't control the secondary, but he has low limitations! Never mind all the other presses with low limitations! He's a Svengali!!!!
    • We're all a bunch of asshats. Your mileage may vary.

As one of the two admins of the FB group the only negativity we don't allow is harassment or abuse. You're fine to disagree with anything you don't like. You're free to not like an author or a release or a price or whatever the hell you don't like. Just don't ride someone's ass for not agreeing with you.

Anyway I stopped short of setting up an account on Library Thing to share more unfiltered thoughts with these cultured swine. It's not worth it and this post isn't worth it.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That just irritates me... BUT... maybe I should go there looking for the Misery S/L I have someone asking for... LOL Im sure since it is not worth the money they would surely sell if they have one? ALL JOKING ASIDE.... I am offering $7500 CASH for anyone with a misery they may sell... Thanks
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    That just irritates me... BUT... maybe I should go there looking for the Misery S/L I have someone asking for... LOL Im sure since it is not worth the money they would surely sell if they have one? ALL JOKING ASIDE.... I am offering $7500 CASH for anyone with a misery they may sell... Thanks
    I’m sure if you post there, those fine fools would recommend that you lobby Paul to simply print another thousand numbered Editions of Misery and sell each copy for whatever the customer feels like paying until demand is satisfied. And then you can use that $7500 to pay off your student loan debt or cure cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunslinger Apprentice MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

Paul does a Q&A with the invitation to ASK ANYTHING. And when he goes live he frontloads all the hardest, most negative questions first. He doesn't censor the questions, instead reading them to us. He didn't name names or shame anyone. He simply pointed out how some opinions are uninformed yet stated as fact. The chatter had to be addressed. A lot of the negativity seemed to be lifted directly from the Library Thing thread. But go to that thread now and see how they've responded to Paul's responses and it's childish. To save you the trouble here are their stances:
    • The books aren't worth the money, they can hardly be considered fine press, the authors Suntup selects are largely unworthy. Why can't I buy the ones I want?
    • We're really just concerned for people buying things they can't afford. Like a group of elitist snob superheroes here to save the sheep from the slaughter.
    • The admins of the Suntup FB page are fomenting a cult where no negativity is allowed. They should not be so happy!
    • Paul states that he can't control the secondary, but he has low limitations! Never mind all the other presses with low limitations! He's a Svengali!!!!

As one of the two admins of the FB group the only negativity we don't allow is harassment or abuse. You're fine to disagree with anything you don't like. You're free to not like an author or a release or a price or whatever the hell you don't like. Just don't ride someone's ass for not agreeing with you.

Anyway I stopped short of setting up an account on Library Thing to share more unfiltered thoughts with these cultured swine. It's not worth it and this post isn't worth it.
    I certainly hope that Paul's decision to respond to internet chatter was to inform people and not to appease those making uninformed complaints. Attempting to appease people whos opinion has no bases in fact will not be swayed by facts. Although I am not on Facebook and can't speak to those people, I will admit I am an asshat so they have at least somewhat of a point there.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MLG View Post

I certainly hope that Paul's decision to respond to internet chatter was to inform people and not to appease those making uninformed complaints. Attempting to appease people whos opinion has no bases in fact will not be swayed by facts. Although I am not on Facebook and can't speak to those people, I will admit I am an asshat so they have at least somewhat of a point there.
    You are no asshat!! You’re the furthest from asshattery out of all the forums! I don’t think Paul’s intention was to give the complaints legitimacy. Just some facts and perspective.

Gunslinger Apprentice MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG's Avatar

You are no asshat!! You’re the furthest from asshattery out of all the forums! I don’t think Paul’s intention was to give the complaints legitimacy. Just some facts and perspective.

I may be respectful online but in person I can be an absolute asshat! I was not speaking of giving them legitimacy, I was speaking of attempting to change their views.

Country
    Country Flag

I may be respectful online but in person I can be an absolute asshat! I was not speaking of giving them legitimacy, I was speaking of attempting to change their views.
    Ah yes, there’s no hope of changing minds. But it’s very telling with how they respond.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Paul was there to answer questions, educate, and correct misperceptions. Nothing about his discussion felt like appeasement in its negative connotation.

While you may be right about those with ill-intentions, people with good intentions can often be swayed with facts that inform their otherwise uninformed opinions.

Finally, you mention people on Facebook, but I think you meant people on LibraryThing which was the focus of Jeff’s well-deserved rant.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Regardless of the motivation, I’m glad Paul did the Q&A. It brought some subjects out into the open that benefitted from that discussion, in my opinion. And not just in library thing, where there seems to be a bunch of people looking for things to complain about and to accuse Paul of. Even in the fan Facebook group, there was an undercurrent of concern in response to the recent increase of announcements, and a few recent higher priced titles.

Paul said some things that needed to be said, and needed to be heard. And he was also forthcoming about what motivates him, how pricing is set, and lots of other details that many other publishers don’t talk about. I thought it was great, and very constructive.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Regardless of the motivation, I’m glad Paul did the Q&A. It brought some subjects out into the open that benefitted from that discussion, in my opinion. And not just in library thing, where there seems to be a bunch of people looking for things to complain about and to accuse Paul of. Even in the fan Facebook group, there was an undercurrent of concern in response to the recent increase of announcements, and a few recent higher priced titles.

Paul said some things that needed to be said, and needed to be heard. And he was also forthcoming about what motivates him, how pricing is set, and lots of other details that many other publishers don’t talk about. I thought it was great, and very constructive.
    Well said. Thank you.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all

Country
    Country Flag

Ah yes, there’s no hope of changing minds. But it’s very telling with how they respond.

"How they respond"? It's one guy on LibraryThing who had complaints about the Q&A (StumGuy). Sure, he commented multiple times, but it's still just him. There are actually more people in this thread who have complained about his response than there are people on LibraryThing complaining about the Q&A. It's best to just ignore them...

On the subject of the Q&A, I thought it was well done. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was his reading of the comment/question from the man who was disgruntled over the lottery for The Stand. That individual shouldn't have submitted such a mean-spirited question, but I don't think Paul was taking the higher ground by reading it live. That's one of those situations where it would have been best to just straight up ignore such an angry question, in my opinion.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Splync View Post

"How they respond"? It's one guy on LibraryThing who had complaints about the Q&A (StumGuy). Sure, he commented multiple times, but it's still just him. There are actually more people in this thread who have complained about his response than there are people on LibraryThing complaining about the Q&A. It's best to just ignore them...

On the subject of the Q&A, I thought it was well done. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was his reading of the comment/question from the man who was disgruntled over the lottery for The Stand. That individual shouldn't have submitted such a mean-spirited question, but I don't think Paul was taking the higher ground by reading it live. That's one of those situations where it would have been best to just straight up ignore such an angry question, in my opinion.
    Fair enough. Stumguy is chief asshat. But there are others who have dubbed themselves standard bearers of small press publishing. Astropi is one. The problem with identifying the posters is that I’m viewing the thread on my phone and the names don’t display clearly so I am reacting more to the posts and not considering that it’s a small number of posters.

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad I've not paid a bit of attention to the LibraryThing world. I was and remain a fan of Paul Suntup. I believe everything he does as a small business owner is driven by his heart, which makes all the difference. Seriously, his driving force is seeing us hug the boxes when they arrive! I fussed a bit last week about his penchant for surprise but the simple fact is the vast majority of his surprises are wonderful. I mean, Michael Whelan closing out the Covers Collection, with remarques? Then turns around and releases Guests with fabulous details at a very reasonable price. I can't think of a single change that has ever been made in the course of producing any edition that hasn't been a bump UP. Never taking away a detail, always adding. Just to give us a hug.
    I'd always considered myself more an Earl of Misbegotten Fuckery, but I suppose I'll also cop to being an asshat. Either way, I'm absolutely 100% a fan of Paul Suntup.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I found the Q&A very enlightening. Paul gave us an inside look on how he does things and why he does them that way. Paul has the right to run HIS business the way he sees fit. Did I make mistakes in the beginning, sure. They still bother me to this day. But you know what, they were my mistakes. I don't run a business so I can't comment on that, but I am sure this is not an easy thing to do. As to pricing, I just checked all the numbered books only (since I don't buy lettered and only a few AE).
    This is what I found. Now Paul admitted that when he started he was learning and maybe did not have a good way to set pricing. Even though that first book was Misery, let's take the first two out of the equation. And let's just a price of $550 as a price where people may think the books are getting expensive. Here is what I found. Paul has put out 28 books that have numbered versions. 11 were above $550 and 17 were below $550. Now I am not got at math either (trust me, I was in L.D math all through high school. ) But even I know 11 is less than 17. I mean, really, how much do we want to pay for quality. Just because we want them, do we expect Paul to just give the books away?

Maybe this is a wasted post. I don't know. If you think that, the completely disregard. I am not here to come to the rescue of Paul. He doesn't need it.
    (But I have my fire suit ready, just in case).

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Well said.

And yes, Guests is VERY reasonably priced, given its length, quality of materials, and the number of illustrations included. Obviously the production details were decided on long ago, but it served as a well timed response to anyone concerned that the recent higher priced titles were a trend, rather than select individual releases with greater production values.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Paul was there to answer questions, educate, and correct misperceptions. Nothing about his discussion felt like appeasement in its negative connotation.

While you may be right about those with ill-intentions, people with good intentions can often be swayed with facts that inform their otherwise uninformed opinions.

Finally, you mention people on Facebook, but I think you meant people on LibraryThing which was the focus of Jeff’s well-deserved rant.
    My response was fully a tongue in cheek response to Jeffingoff (The Jeff Word's) note. My comment about changing minds is regarding the people who are going online explaining how all that Suntup is doing is wrong. I believe Paul's video was informative and educational for those interested in knowing the process. The people making those comments are not in that group. The responses Jeff mentioned from them are predictable to the point that f they did not respond like that I would be shocked. The Facebook mention was specific to what Jeff said they were saying about the 'Friends of Suntup' group. Other than what I read here I am not aware of what is happening on Library Thing or Facebook and I prefer it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow88 View Post
    Glad I've not paid a bit of attention to the LibraryThing world. I was and remain a fan of Paul Suntup. I believe everything he does as a small business owner is driven by his heart, which makes all the difference. Seriously, his driving force is seeing us hug the boxes when they arrive! I fussed a bit last week about his penchant for surprise but the simple fact is the vast majority of his surprises are wonderful. I mean, Michael Whelan closing out the Covers Collection, with remarques? Then turns around and releases Guests with fabulous details at a very reasonable price. I can't think of a single change that has ever been made in the course of producing any edition that hasn't been a bump UP. Never taking away a detail, always adding. Just to give us a hug.
    I'd always considered myself more an Earl of Misbegotten Fuckery, but I suppose I'll also cop to being an asshat. Either way, I'm absolutely 100% a fan of Paul Suntup.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    I found the Q&A very enlightening. Paul gave us an inside look on how he does things and why he does them that way. Paul has the right to run HIS business the way he sees fit. Did I make mistakes in the beginning, sure. They still bother me to this day. But you know what, they were my mistakes. I don't run a business so I can't comment on that, but I am sure this is not an easy thing to do. As to pricing, I just checked all the numbered books only (since I don't buy lettered and only a few AE).
    This is what I found. Now Paul admitted that when he started he was learning and maybe did not have a good way to set pricing. Even though that first book was Misery, let's take the first two out of the equation. And let's just a price of $550 as a price where people may think the books are getting expensive. Here is what I found. Paul has put out 28 books that have numbered versions. 11 were above $550 and 17 were below $550. Now I am not got at math either (trust me, I was in L.D math all through high school. ) But even I know 11 is less than 17. I mean, really, how much do we want to pay for quality. Just because we want them, do we expect Paul to just give the books away?

Maybe this is a wasted post. I don't know. If you think that, the completely disregard. I am not here to come to the rescue of Paul. He doesn't need it.
    (But I have my fire suit ready, just in case).
    Not a wasted post. Although I do not expect Paul to give away books I can honestly say that I have two books on my shelves that he gave me and I know many other people have books he has gifted them!

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

This makes me glad that I shun social media for the most part and just buy the damn book if I choose to when the email arrives. If I don’t have the money, I don’t buy it. If I can afford it, it’s ordered. No bitching about price points and limitations, etc. What’s the point? Paul puts out a superior product. He chooses what materials and the number of copies. If they don’t like it, then they just need to step off. Are there books I have missed lately? Sure. And I’m sure it will happen more and more as the number of collectors increases. Sure it would be nice for there only to be 350 of us collecting so we all got what we wanted, but that ain’t gonna happen. Suck it up and deal with it. And just to be clear, this rant is completely meant for the asshats at Librarything.
    WANTED:
    Any DT S/L’s #181

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The response to the new book is amazing. Only one or two resold. Barker didn’t do as well with tons being sold. But damm... this was a well received book!! Well done Paul!

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fair enough. Stumguy is chief asshat. But there are others who have dubbed themselves standard bearers of small press publishing. Astropi is one. The problem with identifying the posters is that I’m viewing the thread on my phone and the names don’t display clearly so I am reacting more to the posts and not considering that it’s a small number of posters.
    To those on LibraryThing who are posting disparaging remarks about Paul's business model...

Suntup books are an acquired taste. If you don't like them, acquire some taste.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 570 of 645 FirstFirst ... 70 470 520 560 568 569 570 571 572 580 620 ... LastLast