Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 363 of 645 FirstFirst ... 263 313 353 361 362 363 364 365 373 413 463 ... LastLast
Results 9,051 to 9,075 of 16105

Thread: Suntup Editions

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    I cannot understand the worry- at all. These books are constructed so well (that's the whole point, isn't it?). You're not going to harm them by reading them. I know that they have monetary value and one would ideally like to maintain whatever value they have, but- you would not know any of my books have been read. Their value hasn't diminished one cent. In fact, the real value is in the reading of them. Imagine that? You won't hurt them- read them. There's nothing like reading a beautiful book. Like Paul said- just don't read them at the beach.

+1. I'm looking forward to my 17th annual reading of the Centipede 'Salem's Lot deluxe edition in September.
    That is absolutely amazing- that you have read that book that many times. You have to have insights on it that us regular readers (twice only for me, and not in a decade! And- it's one of my top 5 books..) have missed. When can we expect your "Paper"? I'm serious. Or, at least- your thoughts over a scotch!

Not sure I have any insights other than an unaccountable passion for the story. Embarrassing to say after reading the book annually since 1976!
    Well, that is good enough, I think. I admire that passion. And it reminds me to revisit the book soon!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    It’s not about messing up the book because of how it’s constructed, it’s messing it up with dirty fingers or dropping it or something else.
    I've noticed that my fingers leave some kind of dark marks (maybe natural skin oils or some damn thing) on the cheap boards on ordinary hardcovers when my hands are basically clean. Because those are regular books, I don't sweat it, but I wonder if that's unavoidable every time you read a book (not that that will stop me from reading my finer books when I have time; that will happen).
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Gunslinger Apprentice MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    It’s not about messing up the book because of how it’s constructed, it’s messing it up with dirty fingers or dropping it or something else.
    I've noticed that my fingers leave some kind of dark marks (maybe natural skin oils or some damn thing) on the cheap boards on ordinary hardcovers when my hands are basically clean. Because those are regular books, I don't sweat it, but I wonder if that's unavoidable every time you read a book (not that that will stop me from reading my finer books when I have time; that will happen).
    I am someone who reads my limited editions. You are correct, even with clean skin oils will be left behind. The extent of that is dependent on the material of the book. Here is what I do. With books that have a dust jacket I always cover it with Brodart before reading. Some dustjackets will allow you to handle them without leaving oil marks and some will not. Books without dustjackets are tougher. If they are leather or similar surface I just make sure my hands are clean and generally have no issue. For cloth surfaces I need to be more careful. I generally have a paper napkin next to me and wipe my fingers every few minutes. For the surfaces that are somewhere in between like the limited Gwendy's Button Box I follow the same rules as I do with cloth covers.

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

I’ve heard that those natural oils are actually good for leatherbound books, because it keeps the leather supple and prevents it from drying out and cracking. That could be total BS, though.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    I’ve heard that those natural oils are actually good for leatherbound books, because it keeps the leather supple and prevents it from drying out and cracking. That could be total BS, though.
    That is likely true for a baseball glove. Less so for rare books.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I ALWAYS take the dust wrappers off of any hardcover books I read and replace them with ones made out of paper shopping bags, then put the dust wrappers back on when finished reading.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I ALWAYS take the dust wrappers off of any hardcover books I read and replace them with ones made out of paper shopping bags, then put the dust wrappers back on when finished reading.
    That's the way we used to cover our textbooks back in the day.

Finally finished paying off a lay-a-way from Camelot and received the Rosemary's Baby and Horns AGE's with the lot. Gorgeous productions, Paul!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    That's the way we used to cover our textbooks back in the day.

Finally finished paying off a lay-a-way from Camelot and received the Rosemary's Baby and Horns AGE's with the lot. Gorgeous productions, Paul!
    That’s right! I remember that. We’d cover them in this brown paper. I can still hear the crinkling sound they would make. Pleased you like the books. Thanks.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Jeff, dude! You were supposed to keep this secret until we made the official announcement. Well now that it's out, I'm very pleased to present our new bookbinder, jeffingoff! Look out for future editions bound in such a way...

Traveler Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

That's how you become the coolest kid in school right there!
    Blaine is a pain...

WANTED:

Michael Whelan "The Long Road" DT Print

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I have no idea if these instructions apply to modern day leather bound editions but this page does suggest that handling the leather with bare hands is a good idea.

Do's & Don'ts: Care for Leather Bound Books.

Does anyone know if these tips apply to the modern day editions? There is also a link in there on how to condition the leather bound editions once a year.

How To: Leather Conditioning For Fine Bindings.

I'm sure there is a thread around here discussing this and sorry if this posting is an annoyance.
    Perhaps it is just poor word choice, but, "Hydrating the leather" is something I would never do to my leatherbound books.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

Just stop covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing near your priceless books. Two birds, one stone.

Also, less than one hundred hours to go until the next reveal.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Jeff, dude! You were supposed to keep this secret until we made the official announcement. Well now that it's out, I'm very pleased to present our new bookbinder, jeffingoff! Look out for future editions bound in such a way...
    Since constructing the vehicle from the clues Paul and I discovered upon a very close reading of The Time Machine, it's difficult to know my when. So I apologize! As Paul is aware, the pic I posted is from 4 years from now. It's part of the Suntup Off the Rack editions. Fast horror books that used to dominate the market as impulse buys in grocery store checkout lanes. To bind this edition of John Tigges' VENOM, we travelled to 1988 and sourced paper grocery bags from a now out-of-business grocery store chain. We also bought 300 copies of the original paperback and are including them as reading copies" with every purchase.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

That’s right! I remember that. We’d cover them in this brown paper. I can still hear the crinkling sound they would make. Pleased you like the books. Thanks.
    Subliminal inspiration for Brother cover design?

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

Where's the video of the making of this book cover???

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Very excited for this Thursday.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Very excited for this Thursday.
    Me too! It kind of snuck up on me, actually. Like I knew it was March but we first heard about it in January or whenever and I had to push it to the back of my mind lest it drive me batty for 8 weeks, so when I thought about it this weekend for the first time in awhile and looked it up, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was this week!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey Paul, I know you said you were shipping Time Machine soon and cannot wait as most here can attest but I was wondering... will you have tons of pictures to share of the finished Roman one? I am very excited to see it as I am sure many others are. THanks man
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Hey Paul, I know you said you were shipping Time Machine soon and cannot wait as most here can attest but I was wondering... will you have tons of pictures to share of the finished Roman one? I am very excited to see it as I am sure many others are. THanks man
    Yes definitely. When it is done, it will have a professional photoshoot and I will share many pictures of it.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Awesome on the shipping of The Time Machine and I am interested in seeing pictures of the Roman one. Plus I can't wait for IAL either.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Yes definitely. When it is done, it will have a professional photoshoot and I will share many pictures of it.
    That is great. Im VERY excited to see the first Suntup Roman brother. It's gonna be something I bet!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Got the email on I Am Legend and all I can say is WOW! I was thrilled about this edition before, but what you’ve done is exceptional!

My Mood
    Cool

Wow.
    Have people seen the upgraded version of IAL? Check your email and the website. It looks awesome .

There he goes again, upgrading books we already paid for to make them even better. Damnit Paul, when will you learn?! This is not how you’re supposed to run your business! Overprice, underdeliver - not the other way around!

Spoiler:
    It looks awesome! Thank you so much for doing this!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 363 of 645 FirstFirst ... 263 313 353 361 362 363 364 365 373 413 463 ... LastLast