Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 565 of 644 FirstFirst ... 65 465 515 555 563 564 565 566 567 575 615 ... LastLast
Results 14,101 to 14,125 of 16087

Thread: Suntup Editions

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BrewMeister View Post

Less than three hours in and only 3 copies left. I'm going to pop the cork and congratulate Paul and team for another same day sell out!
    Congrats to Clive as well! People still love his stories, and the way he wrote them.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    how loud do you suppose the teeth-gnashing over at LibraryThing is going now?
    Oh I cannot imagine
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

how loud do you suppose the teeth-gnashing over at LibraryThing is going now?
    ISO DT I-IV #101, rage,Suntup Press Horns, Rosemary's Baby and The Road w/designation #239

John F. Kennedy Raenas will become famous soon enough Raenas will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    ...if Suntup is at the “low end of fine press” why do they care to own any of the books?
    This is how sneering works.
    And if Suntup is the low end what do they consider high end?
    I can answer this, as I am one of the commenters trying to argue against the nonsense there. Quite funny how OP arguments get more and more irrational once he starts to run out of defenses.

Anyhow, he defines high-end like this:
    1) Oversize
    2) Handmade / specially milled paper
    3) Fancy typesetting

OP kindly ignored that some Suntup books have these characteristics. Naturally oversize is subjective preference, but obviously as any sneering trolls do he projects his personal views onto everything as they were the universal law of existence. And fancy typesetting just doesn't suit large majority of the modern novels Paul publishes anyway.

In any case I agreed with him on the fact that Paul in most cases doesn't go over the top, but for a very simple reason - cost. A $500 (or even $1000) Numbered edition of a novel (assuming 250+pages) cannot be made with these specifications that he regards high-end, not feasible in any way. And the Lettereds and Roman Numerals use the same format and typesetting due to efficiency.

I pointed out that a book that checks all boxes for his specifications is very expensive if it is an actual novel that Paul tends to publish, not a 20-page poetry book. For example, take the St James Park Press 1984 - https://www.stjamesparkpress.com/1984. Now, this costs $3,200 for pre-subscribers and $4,900 for everyone else, in a simple quarter-cloth binding with paper covered boards, not even the leather bound deluxe edition that has no price yet but I predict will be at least double considering all the extras. It would be beyond ridiculous to compare this to Paul's 1984 editions, it's quite more expensive to produce.

His response was that you can buy decades old second hand LEC's that have these production standards (in reality most don't, not even close) for a few hundred bucks, so Suntup is not worth it. When asked that how these old LEC's don't invalidate then other publishers he regards as true high-end fine press with even higher prices than Suntup (e.g. St James Park Press), he was unable to give any coherent response and just said he is free to buy what he wants. I left it at there.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Raenas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    ...if Suntup is at the “low end of fine press” why do they care to own any of the books?
    This is how sneering works.
    And if Suntup is the low end what do they consider high end?
    I can answer this, as I am one of the commenters trying to argue against the nonsense there. Quite funny how OP arguments get more and more irrational once he starts to run out of defenses.

Anyhow, he defines high-end like this:
    1) Oversize
    2) Handmade / specially milled paper
    3) Fancy typesetting

OP kindly ignored that some Suntup books have these characteristics. Naturally oversize is subjective preference, but obviously as any sneering trolls do he projects his personal views onto everything as they were the universal law of existence. And fancy typesetting just doesn't suit large majority of the modern novels Paul publishes anyway.

In any case I agreed with him on the fact that Paul in most cases doesn't go over the top, but for a very simple reason - cost. A $500 (or even $1000) Numbered edition of a novel (assuming 250+pages) cannot be made with these specifications that he regards high-end, not feasible in any way. And the Lettereds and Roman Numerals use the same format and typesetting due to efficiency.

I pointed out that a book that checks all boxes for his specifications is very expensive if it is an actual novel that Paul tends to publish, not a 20-page poetry book. For example, take the St James Park Press 1984 - https://www.stjamesparkpress.com/1984. Now, this costs $3,200 for pre-subscribers and $4,900 for everyone else, in a simple quarter-cloth binding with paper covered boards, not even the leather bound deluxe edition that has no price yet but I predict will be at least double considering all the extras. It would be beyond ridiculous to compare this to Paul's 1984 editions, it's quite more expensive to produce.

His response was that you can buy decades old second hand LEC's that have these production standards (in reality most don't, not even close) for a few hundred bucks, so Suntup is not worth it. When asked that how these old LEC's don't invalidate then other publishers he regards as true high-end fine press with even higher prices than Suntup (e.g. St James Park Press), he was unable to give any coherent response and just said he is free to buy what he wants. I left it at there.
    Thank you. I saw your comments on LT as well. I feel like he also likes books as art, which is fine, but I imagine a lot of people also want a book they enjoy in a nice package. I’m certainly not tracking down fancy books just because the book is made out of fine materials. I’d like to enjoy the content of the book as well, which is art in and of itself.

It doesn’t seem that he is taking into account what it costs for the rights to publish the book and get the author/artist to sign in the first place. I can’t imagine getting Thomas Harris to sign 300ish copies of red dragon and sotl was cheap.

And comparing second hand prices on decades old books is illogical.

Additionally complaints about the art not being to ones taste is dumb. Art is subjective. I know I won’t like every artist Paul picks, that’s impossible.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

The Lettered edition of IMAJICA looks truly stunning!

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    I am contemplating (due to financial need) the idea of selling my numbered copy of Imagica WITHOUT RIGHTS.

If anyone is looking to buy the book only, send me a pm and we can discuss.
    offering my numbered Imajica at Cost:

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...=1#post1239293
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

...likes books as art, which is fine, but I imagine a lot of people also want a book they enjoy in a nice package. I’m certainly not tracking down fancy books just because the book is made out of fine materials. I’d like to enjoy the content of the book as well, which is art in and of itself.
    While I can appreciate the beauty and design of Paul's books along with those of other other fine press publishers the only aspect that motivates me to acquire a limited is the actual story. If I don't love the story, the window dressing won't change that fact. It's like acquiring a painting for the frame.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I would like to trade a unopened/as new/mint HC trade edition of later for any of the following:

Suntup Artist ed or proof of 1984
    Suntup Silence of the Lambs proof (woman on cover, not moth)

If interested please PM me.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    ...likes books as art, which is fine, but I imagine a lot of people also want a book they enjoy in a nice package. I’m certainly not tracking down fancy books just because the book is made out of fine materials. I’d like to enjoy the content of the book as well, which is art in and of itself.
    While I can appreciate the beauty and design of Paul's books along with those of other other fine press publishers the only aspect that motivates me to acquire a limited is the actual story. If I don't love the story, the window dressing won't change that fact. It's like acquiring a painting for the frame.
    That's how I approach each purchase decision as well. My affinity for Barker’s work -- outside of BOOKS OF BLOOD, which I think is a seminal, important work -- has become progressively marginal. Not sure if I read IMAJICA Back in the Day or not when I was a bit of a fan, but regardless it’s just not the kind of book that interests me anymore. The production values on this new Suntup edition are impressive, but if it’s not either a book I love (e.g. I AM LEGEND, RED DRAGON, et al) and want a deluxe treatment on my shelf...or a book that sounds intriguing or, if a reprint of an older title, I want to finally read (e.g. WOLFEN and the Heinlein set)...then it’s not a book I need. Barker's book was neither, so it was a pass for me in this case.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I am contemplating (due to financial need) the idea of selling my numbered copy of Imagica WITHOUT RIGHTS.

If anyone is looking to buy the book only, send me a pm and we can discuss.
    offering my numbered Imajica at Cost:

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...=1#post1239293
    Update: this has been *SOLD*
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gunslinger Apprentice BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about

I had to go figure out what the LibraryThings talk was about. That's crazy talk. For complaints about the number limitations, these are signed books. I am sure some authors will sign thousands of signature pages, but my understanding is that most authors (and artists with enough pull) cap the number of signature pages they are willing to sign. So Suntup can't produce "enough books to satisfy demand." I am 100% sure that the authors eventually just say "no more, I am not signing 1250 signature pages."

As far as quality goes, I don't know what else anyone can want without quadrupling pricing (don't get ideas, Paul!). However, Paul's designs and production quality are second to none in terms of "mainstream small press publishers." Maybe Centipede and Charnel House are on the same level?

John F. Kennedy scottb has a spectacular aura about scottb has a spectacular aura about scottb has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by BadHatHarry View Post
    I had to go figure out what the LibraryThings talk was about. That's crazy talk. For complaints about the number limitations, these are signed books. I am sure some authors will sign thousands of signature pages, but my understanding is that most authors (and artists with enough pull) cap the number of signature pages they are willing to sign. So Suntup can't produce "enough books to satisfy demand." I am 100% sure that the authors eventually just say "no more, I am not signing 1250 signature pages."

As far as quality goes, I don't know what else anyone can want without quadrupling pricing (don't get ideas, Paul!). However, Paul's designs and production quality are second to none in terms of "mainstream small press publishers." Maybe Centipede and Charnel House are on the same level?
    No. Centipede Press is not on the same level of quality, overall. CP hasn't (to my knowledge) done any letterpress titles and the bindings, at least consistently, aren't at the level of Suntup Editions. CP does deliver consistently great value.

I do love Centipede Press and I'm a subscriber. Jerad does a great job of producing interesting titles in a wide variety of price points. Some of my favorite CP titles are very affordable classics or niche titles that I've never read before.

The interior designs of some of the titles and series (such as Elric) are fantastic and are better designed than the interiors of the numbered Suntup Editions in my opinion. Other CP titles and series have minimal design but provide a lot of content for a low price but the quality of production is not intended to be high. Other CP editions are a nice quality. My only gripe is that some of the productions are very large for my taste and I wish they were smaller.

Edit: comments reflect Suntup Numbered Editions to CP.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Or.. make cash offer

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    I would like to trade a unopened/as new/mint HC trade edition of later for any of the following:

Suntup Artist ed or proof of 1984
    Suntup Silence of the Lambs proof (woman on cover, not moth)

If interested please PM me.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Gunslinger Apprentice Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally ordered my numbered copy about 40 minutes ago, it will be interesting to see if this will get a lottery or perhaps might be the "first through the gate" method again. 😎
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Noxus35 View Post
    Finally ordered my numbered copy about 40 minutes ago, it will be interesting to see if this will get a lottery or perhaps might be the "first through the gate" method again. 😎
    Looks like the numbered will be first come, first served. Lettered will be going to lottery.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Looks like the numbered will be first come, first served. Lettered will be going to lottery.
    Thought so, with 25 copies it just seems like the right thing to do.
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Thought so, with 25 copies it just seems like the right thing to do.
    That's the most in quite awhile.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

They didn't last long!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Wow. Impressive. Very impressive.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've noticed that Suntup's Artist Edition listings tend to show the slipcase and dust jacketed book but not the jacketless book itself. This stands out to me because, while I appreciate dust jacket artwork, I'm personally much more interested in the cloth (or whatever the binding material happens to be). In the case of Imajica, I also wonder how the cloth binding goes with the orange dust jacket and the purple slipcase.

I also have to say, I'm wildly excited about Suntup producing an edition of one of Barker's works.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I would have loved to get the AE as well as the numbered, but it just was impossible with the other stuff I have going on. Congrats to those who were able to get it. I am very excited to the numbered in
    person though.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Out of curiosity now that it’s coming to end, how many of us have the complete Covers Collection?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Out of curiosity now that it’s coming to end, how many of us have the complete Covers Collection?
    (looks in mirror) This guy! Large size with remarques. Love seeing the monthly package arrive. I'm sad to see the run end, but I agree with Paul that it's a fun journey that has run its course.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    (looks in mirror) This guy! Large size with remarques. Love seeing the monthly package arrive. I'm sad to see the run end, but I agree with Paul that it's a fun journey that has run its course.
    Same, except I have the “small” prints, which are not small at all. I can’t imagine where I’d store all those large ones, but I bet they’re even more beautiful.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 565 of 644 FirstFirst ... 65 465 515 555 563 564 565 566 567 575 615 ... LastLast