Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: IMDB shutting down their message boards forever, 2/20

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default IMDB shutting down their message boards forever, 2/20

Whether you love participating or loathe setting foot in them, the highly controversial IMDB message boards will be shutting down forever on Feb. 20th.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/i...ine-movie-chat

I know the place is a breeding ground for internet trolls, but once you wipe the grime away there are actually some very helpful and very enlightening movie conversations that take place there.

I for one am extremely saddened to see the boards go.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Oh wow. I never posted over there but I have browsed through the boards for specific movies or actors. There was some helpful info over there.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Whether you love participating or loathe setting foot in them, the highly controversial IMDB message boards will be shutting down forever on Feb. 20th.

I know the place is a breeding ground for internet trolls, but once you wipe the grime away there are actually some very helpful and very enlightening movie conversations that take place there.

I read about this the other day and it kind of bummed me out. IMDB boards were the first message boards I ever started posting on. I rarely post on there anymore, but I do read from time-to-time. They can be valuable when looking for insight on a film.

I will admit, they have devolved over the years.

Most of my posts now are me trolling people. Somebody will post on the message board for a film and be like, "Who is the person that played X character?" Then I will reply, "I'm not sure. Too bad there's not a website that keeps track of movies and the people who are in them. Seems like a good idea."

Shit like that.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw that, and it sucks. I check out the trivia section and the message boards for everything I watch.

Then again, there ARE a lot of stupid people on the message boards lol

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Worst boards ever. Whether it's the godawful layout, the people, or the conversation, just a wretched hive of scum and villainy. I won't miss them. I'd have kept using them if they weren't so shit.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

I read about this the other day and it kind of bummed me out. IMDB boards were the first message boards I ever started posting on. I rarely post on there anymore, but I do read from time-to-time. They can be valuable when looking for insight on a film.

I will admit, they have devolved over the years.

Most of my posts now are me trolling people. Somebody will post on the message board for a film and be like, "Who is the person that played X character?" Then I will reply, "I'm not sure. Too bad there's not a website that keeps track of movies and the people who are in them. Seems like a good idea."

Shit like that.
    That's precisely why the IMDB message boards are closing down - shit like that!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wrong!

That's a benign post compared to what goes on there. You're right though, stupid people making stupid posts is part of the problem. Me having a little fun with them (3 posts in a year) is hardly the problem.

It's the people who are using foul language, berating people in every other post. It's the people talking about graphic sexual content when it comes to actresses, some of them underage.

It's the people body shaming female actresses left and right like they are a pieces of meat. Those are the things that are getting the boards shut down.

I can't tell you how many times I go to an IMDB board and have a thoughtful conversation about a film only to have somebody come in and ruin the thread.

You can't possibly put my example in those categories.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wrong!

That's a benign post compared to what goes on there. You're right though, stupid people making stupid posts is part of the problem. Me having a little fun with them (3 posts in a year) is hardly the problem.

It's the people who are using foul language, berating people in every other post. It's the people talking about graphic sexual content when it comes to actresses, some of them underage.

It's the people body shaming female actresses left and right like they are a pieces of meat. Those are the things that are getting the boards shut down.

I can't tell you how many times I go to an IMDB board and have a thoughtful conversation about a film only to have somebody come in and ruin the thread.

Your "contribution" to IMDB doesn’t exactly help the situation. Rather than try to be part of a solution, you chose to be part of the problem. You just added to the collective shit that broke the boards - nothing more, nothing less.

Most of my posts now are me trolling people.
    My fucking hero!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I didn't even know they had message boards.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Wrong!

Your "contribution" to IMDB doesn’t exactly help the situation. Rather than try to be part of a solution, you chose to be part of the problem. You just added to the collective shit that broke the boards - nothing more, nothing less.

Most of my posts now are me trolling people.
    My fucking hero!

So hostile.

Most of my posts on IMDB over the years were thoughtful conversations about film. Over the last few years, many of the threads I would try to have thoughtful conversations in devolved into name calling, which I refuse to take part in. Instead, I just decided to stop going as frequently.

Every once in a while, I'll stop by and make a post in response to a dumb person. It was hardly what contributed to their downfall. Most of the threads never even had a response because they were little traveled boards to begin with.

I forgot that you're perfect and you've never done anything wrong on a forum.

EDIT: I just checked and I made 5 posts in 2016. Only 1 was me trolling. It had 0 responses. What an evil person I am. I'm sorry, guys. It's all my fault the IMDB message boards are shutting down.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

What Still did isn't even trolling. Pointing out someone is an idiot isn't trolling at all. At most, it was a passive-aggressive insult. What it really is is a funny joke that probably went over the head of the person who he originally responded to.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Me too. I never commented there but it was always fun to go read the posts after seeing a particular film.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    What Still did isn't even trolling. Pointing out someone is an idiot isn't trolling at all. At most, it was a passive-aggressive insult. What it really is is a funny joke that probably went over the head of the person who he originally responded to.
    Yeah, it's more borderline trolling. It's more me being a wiseguy than anything.

His point is that what I was doing was so terrible and immoral that IMDB was forced to shut the boards down for good. Trolling or not, it's clearly reprehensible.

It's on the same level as the people who threaten anal rape because a person thinks Frodo is the best Hobbit. There's no difference in his eyes.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, you practically told the guy to kill himself.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Honestly, I'm not sure why they can't just leave the old threads there. People should still be allowed to read them at the very least.

Besides the fact that the boards turned into a cesspool devoid of any shred of human decency (again, I'm sorry), but I'm sure it cost a lot of money to pay mods to keep order.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"Pizza...french fries. Pizza...french fries."
    A NEW GAME BEGINS