Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: As empty as a box of tissues in a teenage boy’s room, hey, some kids have allergies.

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Default As empty as a box of tissues in a teenage boy’s room, hey, some kids have allergies.

You stand in front of a door with the letters WH.

Upon opening,

You smell smoke.
    You feel warmth.
    You see a Grant Wood painting.
    You are eating with an elongated spoon.

You stand in front of a door with the letter E.

Upon opening,

You see dogs playing poker.
    You see a velvet Elvis.
    You hear elevator music.
    You are eating a Spam and Wonder Bread sandwich.

You stand in front of a door with the letter R.

Upon opening,

You see a bar of indium.
    You feel confined.
    You see a no vacancy sign.

You stand in front of a door with letter E.

Upon opening,

You hear music by George Gershwin.
    You see a cocktail glass.
    You see an American ship anchored in Tokyo Bay.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

The first part just strikes me of the American South or Midwest in general...and again at the end.

You smell smoke.
    You feel warmth.
    You see a Grant Wood painting. The one with that Goth chick and her man?
    You are eating with an elongated spoon. Iced Tea spoon?

Upon opening,

You see a velvet Elvis.
    You hear elevator music.
    You are eating a Spam and Wonder Bread sandwich. All seem to point to we unsophisticated types. Maybe even a trailer park. But once again; a painting reference

Upon opening,

You see a bar of indium. In... known to be rare. Used in semi conductors, solder and to resist corrosion in high performance machines. That's all I remember.
    You feel confined.
    You see a no vacancy sign.

Upon opening,

You hear music by George Gershwin.
    You see a cocktail glass. Flute?
    You see an American ship anchored in Tokyo Bay. The U.s.s. Missouri?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Not bad, making some progress here.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Door E (the first) are like advertising stuff... spam wonder bread even the playing dogs I seem to remember from an ad long gone!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    Door E (the first) are like advertising stuff... spam wonder bread even the playing dogs I seem to remember from an ad long gone!
    The first door is WH, E is the second door

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Missed that... thanks cowboy

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The things on the second door could all be described as "Kitsch"

Kitsch: "art, objects, or design considered to be in poor taste because of excessive garishness or sentimentality, but sometimes appreciated in an ironic or knowing way"
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going for a stretch on this one as I haven't really figured out the riddles, but overall it seems to reflect different class structures. As with the previous riddle, the door letters spell out a clue as to what is being sought and in this case it is WHERE, so we are looking for a location or place.

I think the answer is an Aeroplane. Each door represents a class of travel, Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First Class.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    The things on the second door could all be described as "Kitsch"

Kitsch: "art, objects, or design considered to be in poor taste because of excessive garishness or sentimentality, but sometimes appreciated in an ironic or knowing way"
    Yes. Mr. Goblin or Mr.Orc. You have a piece of the greater pie.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going for a stretch on this one as I haven't really figured out the riddles, but overall it seems to reflect different class structures. As with the previous riddle, the door letters spell out a clue as to what is being sought and in this case it is WHERE, so we are looking for a location or place.

I think the answer is an Aeroplane. Each door represents a class of travel, Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First Class.
    Alas no, wrong direction.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Jon, figured out one piece of the middle, the stroppygoblin recently added to it.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the first piece is Gothic
    The painting is "American Gothic" and a Gothic spoon is elongated. Smoke and warmth are harder to pin down though...

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The last section is Hurricane

Hurricane is a piece of music by Gershwin (from Porgy and Bess)
    Hurricane is a type of cocktail glass.
    This might be a bit tenuous, but there is an area called the Hurricane deck in Missouri. I cant find any reference to any ships called Hurricane that were ever in Tokyo Bay.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The first door E and R are solved. They need just need some connection to be completed. The door WH and the final door E still need some redirection of thought. Blame Google proofing.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

So far though, well played.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

The last section is Hurricane

Hurricane is a piece of music by Gershwin (from Porgy and Bess)
    Hurricane is a type of cocktail glass.
    This might be a bit tenuous, but there is an area called the Hurricane deck in Missouri. I cant find any reference to any ships called Hurricane that were ever in Tokyo Bay.
    I recall that the occupation of Japan was delayed two days by a Typhoon...

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

doh! stupid - I missed that the 3rd door had been answered

so we have [something] Kitchen (Kitsch + In) [something]

smoke and warmth = fire? elongated spoon? I found a reference to a mustard spoon, again = hot. I'm not au fait with all of GW's work, but maybe something to do with Hell?

Hell's Kitchen ... ?

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

some days I cant see the wood for the trees... the answer is:

Hells Kitchen Manhattan

for the last door,

Gershwin wrote the music for Woody Allen's film 'Manhattan'
    A Manhattan is a type of cocktail glass
    The Manhattan was the first authorised American ship to enter Tokyo Bay (1845)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

You stand in front of a door with the letters WH.

Upon opening,

You smell smoke. Brimstone
    You feel warmth. Hell, you're in Hell, and it's freaking hot!
    You see a Grant Wood painting. Mostly a symbolic clue, American Gothic, the guy has a pitchfork.
    You are eating with an elongated spoon. Allegory of the Long Spoons, Google it.

Upon opening,

You see a velvet Elvis.
    You hear elevator music.
    You are eating a Spam and Wonder Bread sandwich. Campy, kitschy stuff.

Upon opening,

You see a bar of indium. Symbol In
    You feel confined. In, as inside
    You see a no vacancy sign. Inn, no room at the inn

Upon opening,

You hear music by George Gershwin. The Woody Allen movie, Manhattan
    You see a cocktail glass. Manhattan, the cocktail
    You see an American ship anchored in Tokyo Bay. The whaling ship Manhattan that dropped off rescued Japanese castaway sailors in Tokyo Bay

For full disclosure, I was pretty vague about the last door as I figured it would all fall together with the previous doors. I almost added Maraschino cherry to the cocktail clue and whaling ship to the Tokyo Bay clue. Instead I just tried to Google proof the answer.

A goose and a full box of goose down soft tissues are awarded to both stroppygoblin and Jon to be divided as needed. Just saying, some folk's allergies are worst than others.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

By the way, well played.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Another enjoyable riddle

Jon can have the goose, I'll take the tissues. I'm sneezing my head off here right now.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Another enjoyable riddle

Jon can have the goose, I'll take the tissues. I'm sneezing my head off here right now.
    Really? So now Jon gets goosed. Sorry buddy. It wasn't me, it was just a goblin goose.....you can't make this shit up if you tried.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn...I thought The USS San Diego was the first ship to anchor.

I should Google instead of relying on my chemically altered, 48 year old brain!!

Very good Gunky. It's nice to have a riddle that one can really sink his teeth into!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

I should Google instead of relying on my chemically altered, 48 year old brain!!

Very good Gunky. It's nice to have a riddle that one can really sink his teeth into!!!
    Just 48? Spring chicken, wait until you're 54. Then all the residual chemicals really kick in!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Just 48? Spring chicken, wait until you're 54. Then all the residual chemicals really kick in!

Like an acid flashback?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast