Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Authors That Aren't Stephen King

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Default Favorite Authors That Aren't Stephen King

I'm looking for suggestions on authors to explore.
    I became obsessed with King's works at a young age, so I spent most of my life consuming everything written by him, which kept me from venturing off into other authors' works. Now that I'm pretty much caught up on King's works, I'm constantly looking for that "new" author whose writing and storytelling completely sucks me in. I've come across a few over the past few years, such as Gareth Powell, Maggie O'Farrell, Blake Crouch (although I've yet to read anything other than the Pines series by him), and Piers Anthony.
    There are plenty of collection and/or discussion threads on the sites devoted to specific authors, but I don't know where to start.

So, give me suggestions! Tell me what authors you love an what kind of stories they tell.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Joyce Carol Oates disturbs the hell out of me. She has a ton of books and from what I've read so far, none of it has been supernatural in nature. Her book Zombie is loosely based on Jeffrey Dahmer and is very short. I'm slowly chugging through her work as the library gets more and more large prints from her. I just love her!

Anne Rice is another author I just started reading a few years back. I wound up reading seventeen of her novels in a row. She's a history and art buff that immerses herself in research for the time period she is writing about. Not only are her books very entertaining, disturbing (she goes to some places King has not dared with violence and sexuality) but they are also informative.

Kealan Patrick Burke is another writer I would suggest if you like King. He has some very wicked/disturbing books.

Robert McCammon is just great if you haven't gotten around to him yet.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll rattle off my favourite authors, though I won't say they are specifically recommendations.

Robert E. Howard: Creator of Conan and more or less the entirety of the Sword & Sorcery genre. His style is quite dark and fantastic, violent, filled with striking imagery and not bound by modern rules of fantasy.

Michael Moorcock: Creator of Elric and the Eternal Champion cycle. He was one of the first authors to utilize the idea of a multiverse, and I guarantee you King, whether he has admitted it or not, was heavily influenced by Moorcock, especially when regarding his Dark Tower series. The stories he is most famous for are generally regarded as Sword & Sorcery, and the writing style could be likened to my description of Howard's work. That said he tended go against the grain with characters and outcomes. Also his works have delved in several other genres, sci-fi, steampunk etc.

Jim Thompson: Famous for The Killer Inside Me, The Grifters etc. etc. He's not a series writer, but an excellent novelist. He's like Steinbeck if Steinbeck hated everyone and held no hope for America. His novels tend to be very violent crime dramas. They are often from the point of the criminal or at least with a sympathetic eye to it.

James Ellroy: Famous for Black Dahlia, L.A. Confidential etc. Ellroy writes twisting, dark crime mysteries, rife with tough talkin' guys and sultry femme fatales. His style is gut wrenching with staccato sentences that pack a real punch. One can trace his influences to the aforementioned Thompson as well as detective fiction masters like Raymond Chandler.

Also worth mentioning is Mary Shelley, Frankenstein is a masterwork, and J.R.R. Tolkien.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess it would depend on what you like - if you want to look outside of the horror genre, here is a start:

Some great fantasy authors - Mark Lawrence (dark & humorous), Sebastien De Castell, Patrick Rothfuss (amazing story of Kvothe, told over a period of 3 days, where each book is one day of the telling - Book 3 not finished), Joe Abercrombie

Sci Fi/Dystopian - Pierce Brown, Hugh Howey

Supernatural Humor - Christopher Moore

Fiction - Jeff Lindsay (Dexter series), Diana Gabaldon (historical adventure, time travel romance)

What Tommy said - Anne Rice

Straight up popcorn read - JR Ward (vampire romance/urban fantasy), Karen Marie Moning (Dark Faery urban fantasy), Darynda Jones (Grim Reaper romance/mystery), Patricia Briggs (skin walker/werewolf urban fantasy)
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Woah, you guys have come back with a lot for me!
    So much that I'll have to take some time to use Goodreads to cross-reference the names you've tossed out there.
    Thanks, guys.

Becca: I am always up for any genre at all. I have to say that, while King is my favorite author, his stories never felt like complete horror to me, so I think I may be a bit of a wuss when it comes to other writers' versions of horror.

I really do like to test out all types of genres, whether it be sci-fi, suspense, adventure, romance, etc. If it's written well and sucks me in, I don't care what category it's in.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Oh yeah I love those Dexter books! I still need to read the last two. The first two are classics in my opinion. They are much darker than the Showtime show.

Another one I love but doesn't write nearly enough these days is Bret Easton Ellis.

Scott Sigler is a lot of fun as well. Sci-fi/Horror that has a definite King feel.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Joyce Carol Oates and add Patricia Highsmith, similar vibes. Other favorites authors include Michael Crichton, Philip Roth, Kurt Vonnegut, John Updike, Haruki Mirakami, Chuck Palahniuk...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

My favorite authors would be:

Chuck Palahniuk - Most especially his earlier books. I've had a hard time getting into some of his more recent ones. But Fight Club, Lullaby, Survivor, Invisible Monsters, Choke, Diary are all excellent. And he is still one of those authors that I'll buy every book he releases.
    Blake Crouch - My new favorite. I need say no more.
    Dan Simmons - He has written some of my all-time favorite stories. The Terror (which is historical fiction), and Summer of Night (which is horror and very reminiscent of It).
    Joe Hill
    Jane Austen

And then I just have a bunch of favorite books, but I haven't necessarily read a lot of the authors remaining work, or they haven't released a lot of books.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ricky, if you want hard, hard sci fi, Dan Simmons' Hyperion novels are absolutely out of this world. No pun intended.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Ricky, if you want hard, hard sci fi, Dan Simmons' Hyperion novels are absolutely out of this world. No pun intended.
    Did you just confuse Amanda with Ricky? I've been doing that too since she changed her av
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice FennyBate is on a distinguished road FennyBate's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some names, off the top of my head-
    Shirley Jackson
    Ramsey Campbell - especially his short fiction
    Charles L. Grant
    Laird Barron
    Robert Bloch

If you like 'small town' stories, like King does so well, definitely check out Charles Grant's 'Oxrun Station' stories.

Jackson is more psychological thriller/drama than horror, but really gets under your skin.

Laird Barron is a contemporary Lovecraftian author, who has created his own mythos. Not worth reading an
    individual random story IMO, better to start at the start.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Tastes are surely different. I agree wholeheartedly about Bloch and Vonnegut. I find Joyce Carol Oates totally unreadable, as well as Ramsey Campbell.

I am more old school I guess. I would recommend TO YOUR SCATTERED BODIES GO by Philip Jose Farmer, THE LAST CASTLE and the LYONESSE trilogy by Jack Vance, NIGHT OF THE RIPPER by Bloch, BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS by Vonnegut, almost any Mike Resnick book, and I also like Ben Bova who I think is a highly underrated author. Also I AM LEGEND or THE SHRINKING MAN by Richard Matheson. Ok, I'll stop now.

I am adding Thomas Harris after reading DoctorZaius's post below. I could not put down RED DRAGON, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS or HANNIBAL RISING (might have had something to do with the fact I was playing with Crazy Glue at the time though).
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thomas Harris
    Clive Barker
    Dan Simmons
    Dennis Lehane (early novels)
    Steig Larsson
    Brian Lumley (love the Necroscope series)
    Joe Hill
    Lee Child (love Jack Reacher - no, not the Tom Cruise version)
    Dean R Koontz (back when he used the "R" as the middle initial he was great)
    Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse 5, Cat's Cradle, Sirens of Titan)
    Kafka (for when I am really depressed)

I'll second Thomas Harris, Clive Barker and Philip Roth and I'll third Palahniuk. I haven't read much of Simmons but what I have read I've liked a lot.

Jack Ketchum is another writer I really dig but his work can be quite extreme. I also really like Edward Lee but he is definitely not for everyone.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'll second Joyce Carol Oates and add Patricia Highsmith, similar vibes. Other favorites authors include Michael Crichton, Philip Roth, Kurt Vonnegut, John Updike, Haruki Mirakami, Chuck Palahniuk...
    I'm going to second Patricia Highsmith. I read The Talented Mr. Ripley last year and loved it. The other short works of hers that I had read I'd enjoyed greatly too.

Lumley, Harris and Barker are great too.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Many of my favorites were mentioned already. Also worth checking out IMO: Cody McFadyen (he wrote a couple of great serial killer novels and then simply disappeared), Daniel Hecht (for some great 'neuropsychological noir' novels). Hugh Howey (Wool trilogy). Justin Cronin (The Passage trilogy).

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have seen good and bad comments regarding Joyce Carol Oates, and I thought I would share at least one plug. I remember reading through her sliver of a book called Black Water. The narrative is suffocating - pun intended. The novel (novella?) unfolds as a young woman is drowning in a car after it plunges off an old bridge and into murky water. The driver? A man referred to as The Senator. Ringing any bells? Let's just say that it is probably not a Kennedy family favorite. The novel moves back and forth, between the young woman hoping The Senator will come back to save her as she drowns, and the flash backs we see that lead to her tragic death. Well worth a few hours time. Very affecting.

I've noticed that JCO often likes to work from real life stories. Her book The Sacrifice is based off of the infamous Tawana Brawley case. She is fearless in her choices of subject matter. Black Water is a really good read. I haven't read anything by her I haven't either really liked or loved yet.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

She's got tons of books, probably more than King.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I have seen good and bad comments regarding Joyce Carol Oates, and I thought I would share at least one plug. I remember reading through her sliver of a book called Black Water. The narrative is suffocating - pun intended. The novel (novella?) unfolds as a young woman is drowning in a car after it plunges off an old bridge and into murky water. The driver? A man referred to as The Senator. Ringing any bells? Let's just say that it is probably not a Kennedy family favorite. The novel moves back and forth, between the young woman hoping The Senator will come back to save her as she drowns, and the flash backs we see that lead to her tragic death. Well worth a few hours time. Very affecting.
    Oooo...this sounds good. Just ordered it on Paperback Swap. Thanks!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Oooo...this sounds good. Just ordered it on Paperback Swap. Thanks!
    Hope it moves you. Thanks for the rep!

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Favorite Authors That Aren't Stephen King

John R Little is one of my favorite authors and I don't see him mentioned often. He mostly writes short stories and novellas in the horror and dark fantasy genre.

If you're looking for short stories I recommend Little Things. Most of the stories in it are amazing, but Cruel Eyes and Placeholders were my favorites.

If you're looking for a novella I recommend The Memory Tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Joyce Carol Oates disturbs the hell out of me. She has a ton of books and from what I've read so far, none of it has been supernatural in nature. Her book Zombie is loosely based on Jeffrey Dahmer and is very short. I'm slowly chugging through her work as the library gets more and more large prints from her. I just love her!

Anne Rice is another author I just started reading a few years back. I wound up reading seventeen of her novels in a row. She's a history and art buff that immerses herself in research for the time period she is writing about. Not only are her books very entertaining, disturbing (she goes to some places King has not dared with violence and sexuality) but they are also informative.

Kealan Patrick Burke is another writer I would suggest if you like King. He has some very wicked/disturbing books.

Robert McCammon is just great if you haven't gotten around to him yet.
    Robert McCammon is one that I am pretty interested in checking out. Actually seeing the collection thread on him is what prompted me to start this thread. The Wolf's Hour and Boy's Life are the ones I'm curious about. Or, is there a better book to start with?
    Anne Rice: I read a few of the Vampire Chronicles books when I was a teenager. I do remember enjoying them, but didn't get much further than #2 in the series (I think). I seem to remember her going on and on at times during her stories, but maybe I should give another one of her books a shot.
    Kealan Patrick Burke: Reading the premise for Kin just pretty much told me to stay as far from his stories as possible.
    Joyce Carol Oates: Would you say most of her stories are pretty disturbing? I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I am a wuss when it comes to "real-life" disturbing.

It's funny when you grow up reading King and people expect that you must love anything scary and disturbing, but I guess King's stories just always felt more about the characters than the horror.

Ah! Thanks for reminding me of Hyperion. I enjoyed Dan Simmons' writing with Summer of Night and meant to check out Hyperion since you raved about it. [added to list!]

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Did you just confuse Amanda with Ricky? I've been doing that too since she changed her av
    Hahaha! I changed my av so the confusion would cease.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast