Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you read your signed Limited books

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Do you read your signed Limited books

Sorry if there is already a thread like this. Feel free to merge if so.

So, i've got several Signed Limiteds that I got from CD via grab bags and the like, also a few that I bought individually. Many of these books are books I would probably never buy, but I hate having this nice books and not read them. I could buy reading copies (if possible), but like I said many of these are books I would not normally buy. Many of these are probably "PC" copies.

Given that they were bundled in a grab bag, many of these probably never will be valuable, so there is probably no risk in reading them.

Here is a list:

Spoiler:

From grab bags and not read:
    1. Dinner With the Cannibal Sisters by Douglas Clegg (signed and limited to 1000, but no number)
    2. Bad Dog by Tom Piccirilli (signed and limited to 750, but no number)
    3. Night of the Triffids by Simon Clark (signed and limited to 1000 but no number)
    4. Language of Fear by Del James (Signed Limited, but there is no limitation/signature page)
    5. Backshot by Ed Gorman (signed limited to 750, but no number)
    6. The Angels by Rio Youers (signed 742/750)
    7. Bastion by Simon Clark (signed 708/250)
    8. Salome by Mick Garris (signed 372/750)
    9. Fangoria Cover to Cover 35 years of the World's Most Popular Horror Magazine (signed limited, but no limitation page or signatures)

Here are a few more from grab bags that I have actually already read this copy of:
    1. Amazonas by Alan Peter Ryan (signed limited to 1000, but no number)
    2. Backshot by Tom Piccirilli (signed (initialled actually), limited to 1000 but no number)

Here is a list I bought individually:
    1. Cemetery Dance Joe Hill Special Issue #74/75 (signed 82/600)
    2. The Fireman by Joe Hill (trade edition with signed bookplate from CD (limited to 1500)
    3. Better Weird by various Signed 454/750
    4. Darkness Wispers by Richard Chizmar and Brian James Freeman (signed 92/500)

There are still more on the way:
    1. Early Readers review copy bundle
    2. Shivers VIII
    3. Dark Screams
    4. Haven by Tom Deady
    5. Shining in the Dark
    6. In Sunlight or in Shadow

(BTW, if any of the above besides Haven has been released already, let me know as I haven't received them)

So which of these would you a) read b) not read at all c) buy a reading copy and read that one d) get a library card and borrow it from library?

Of course I am more interested in general what is your threshold in "worth" for you not to read a limited edition.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Grab bag books are ones that do not sell well, so go ahead and read them. Then pass them on to someone else to read.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

no
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I read some s/l books, but I never take them out of the house. I'd say my threshold is probably roughly $100. Most often I will buy a reader copy if I don't already have one.

By value alone I would say most of the books on your list would be "safe" to read.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

If I haven't read it before, yes.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I read some s/l books, but I never take them out of the house. I'd say my threshold is probably roughly $100. Most often I will buy a reader copy if I don't already have one.

By value alone I would say most of the books on your list would be "safe" to read.
    +1.

I don't read King S/Ls because by the time they normally get published I've already read them. I do flip through them. I like to feel the fine paper, look at illustrations, check out the different fonts etc. It's like...if you had a Bentley, would you really never drive it?

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I don't have many but those that I do own have been read; some multiple times.

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

No to King S/L(I'll gander at them but definitely not full-on read them). Yes to most everything else

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

regarding King S/L, I wouldn't read those, but some have bonus material, and I sometimes read that. For Salem's Lot I see there are a lot of deleted scenes. I haven't read those (yet), since it has been about 35 years since I last read Salem's Lot, so I think I would miss the context. I am thinking about rereading SL at some point (paperback), and then reading the bonus material, while the story is still fresh.

Then there is the upcoming Shining with the Before the Play and After the Play bonus material. I went ahead and ordered 2 copies of the gift edition, so I could use one to read.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    regarding King S/L, I wouldn't read those, but some have bonus material, and I sometimes read that. For Salem's Lot I see there are a lot of deleted scenes. I haven't read those (yet), since it has been about 35 years since I last read Salem's Lot, so I think I would miss the context. I am thinking about rereading SL at some point (paperback), and then reading the bonus material, while the story is still fresh.

Then there is the upcoming Shining with the Before the Play and After the Play bonus material. I went ahead and ordered 2 copies of the gift edition, so I could use one to read.
    Wise thinking for The Shining! As for 'Salem's Lot, I believe the material in the CD version is the same as the CP version. Which means the trade hardcover illustrated version will have the bonus features if you don't want to read either of those two gift editions.

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post

Haha, I also ordered two (one for looking at a little closer)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure John Hanic would chime in that the S/L of The Eyes of the Dragon preceded the trade hardback by 2+ years. Not known at the time, but the S/L had(s) numerous differences from the trade 1st.
    That was a book to be read carefully. Hands clean of dirt, and oils, book never opened more than 90 degrees etc.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I'm sure John Hanic would chime in that the S/L of The Eyes of the Dragon preceded the trade hardback by 2+ years. Not known at the time, but the S/L had(s) numerous differences from the trade 1st.
    That was a book to be read carefully. Hands clean of dirt, and oils, book never opened more than 90 degrees etc.
    In this case, I don't think I would bother reading the limited to find the differences (at this point I wouldn't recognize them). Although I guess it must have been quite the dilemma during that 2 year period. But that does remind me that I still need to figure a way to safely read (and I mean that literally LOL) Knowing Darkness.

Thanks Theili on the heads up on Salem's Lot.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Do we even need a thread for this? God no!!!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

That was a book to be read carefully...book never opened more than 90 degrees etc.
    I'm sure I'm the only one here that doesn't know, but may I ask why?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    That was a book to be read carefully...book never opened more than 90 degrees etc.
    Spine

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Never in life

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

I read 'Salem's Lot annually and since 2005 have been able to enjoy the truly pleasurable experience of doing so with the Centipede Press deluxe limited edition. The design, craftmanship and feel of the paper texture enhances the enjoyment of reading my all-time favorite book.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone ever done a comparison of the 2 stories? I have seen the differences between the 2 gunslingers but not that book. I would be interested if it was already out there.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Spine
    What specifically was the problem? Brittle, etc.?

Random TEOTD digression: for years I'd seen the pics of the Philtrum Press edition, and although it seemed nice, it never wowed me - but then I actually saw one (two, actually) in person at a book fair last October, and man, that is an impressive book.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Spine
    What specifically was the problem? Brittle, etc.?

Random TEOTD digression: for years I'd seen the pics of the Philtrum Press edition, and although it seemed nice, it never wowed me - but then I actually saw one (two, actually) in person at a book fair last October, and man, that is an impressive book.

Splaying open a book multiple times will wear the spine.
    You definitely don't want to open a valuable book like this:

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Especially if the pages are glued and not sewn. That's just asking for disaster.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Splaying open a book multiple times will wear the spine.
    You definitely don't want to open a valuable book like this:

OK; I thought your post (a few posts back) meant this particular edition couldn't handle going beyond 90 degrees at all (either defective or made from a material that wasn't book-quality).

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

No, I do not.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The first collectible book I bought was the gift edition of Full Dark, No Stars. I read that one (very carefully) and loved the experience as opposed to say reading the trade hardback. It does add something to the enjoyment factor I believe. Almost a naughty, luxury kind of thing if that makes any sense. I haven't done that with any other King limiteds but with other authors, yes but those are either purchased at a discount or are reading copies to start with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast