Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

11 52.38%
  • Johnny Cash - Hurt

10 47.62%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Great Music - Tournament Finals: Round 2 (Matchup 4 of 13)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Great Music - Tournament Finals: Round 2 (Matchup 4 of 13)

For this finals poll, please choose one track to move on to the next round.

IMPORTANT! Please do not simply vote on name recognition (or lack thereof) alone. Please do listen to each nomination and then make your choice. Even if you think you know a track well, it's still worth giving it a listen for a refresher.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (1981)

Johnny Cash - Hurt (2002)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

HOW WE GOT HERE

Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (1981)

Nominated by pablo on January 5, 2016.
    Seconded by divemaster on January 5, 2016.

In Round 1 it placed 2nd in Group 14 (March 31 - April 7, 2016):
    • Queen - Another One Bites the Dust (1980) 83.33%
    • Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (1981) 77.78%
    • Pat Benatar - Love Is a Battlefield (1983) 66.67%
    • Foreigner - Juke Box Hero (1982) 61.11%
    • Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen (1982) 50.00%
    • Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes to Midnight (1984) 33.33%
    • Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun (1983) 27.78%

In Round 2 it placed 1st in Group 12 (May 19-26, 2016):
    • Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (1981) 86.67%
    • Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty - Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (1981) 60.00%
    • Pat Benatar - Love Is a Battlefield (1983) 53.33%
    • Devo - Whip It (1981) 46.67%
    • A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away) (1982) 33.33%

In Round 3 it placed 1st in Group 4 (July 4-11, 2016):
    • Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (1981) 80.00%
    • Billy Idol - White Wedding (1982) 65.00%
    • Pat Benatar - Love Is a Battlefield (1983) 45.00%
    • Bon Jovi - Runaway (1984) 10.00%

Entering the playoffs it was ranked 2nd.

In Playoffs Round 2 it beat out Toto - Africa (1983) with 72.73% of the vote (October 10-17, 2016).

In the Quarterfinals it beat out AC/DC - Back in Black (1980) with 56.25% of the vote (November 15-22, 2016).

In the Semifinals it beat out Prince - Purple Rain (1984) with 60.00% of the vote (December 8-15, 2016).

In the Finals it beat out Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982) with 68.18% of the vote (December 20, 2016 - January 1, 2017).

Throughout the tournament it earned an average vote percentage of 71.66%, good for 5th out of 14.

Country
    Country Flag

HOW WE GOT HERE

Johnny Cash - Hurt (2002)

Nominated by Iwritecode on February 5, 2016.
    Seconded by Heather19 on February 5, 2016.

In Round 1 it placed 1st in Group 1 (April 11-18, 2016):
    • Johnny Cash - Hurt (2002) 72.22%
    • Eminem - Sing for the Moment (2002) 55.56%
    • Coldplay - In My Place (2002) 50.00%
    • Modest Mouse - Float On (2004) 44.44%
    • Madonna - Don't Tell Me (2000) 33.33%
    • Beyoncé feat. Jay Z - Crazy in Love (2003) 27.78%
    • Kelis - Milkshake (2003) 11.11%

In Round 2 it placed 1st in Group 5 (May 30 - June 6, 2016):
    • Johnny Cash - Hurt (2002) 68.75%
    • Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood (2001) 62.50%
    • Michael Andrews feat. Gary Jules - Mad World (2002) 50.00%
    • Enya - May It Be (2001) 43.75%
    • Moby - Extreme Ways (2002) 18.75%

In Round 3 it placed 2nd in Group 7 (July 15-22, 2016):
    • Eminem feat. Dido - Stan (2000) 66.67%
    • Johnny Cash - Hurt (2002) 50.00%
    • Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out (2004) 38.89%
    • Usher feat. Lil Jon and Ludacris - Yeah! (2004) 22.22%

Entering the playoffs it was ranked 5th.

In Playoffs Round 2 it beat out Linkin Park - In the End (2000) with 70.59% of the vote (October 19-26, 2016).

In the Quarterfinals it beat out Staind - It's Been Awhile (2001) with 66.67% of the vote (November 19-26, 2016).

In the Semifinals it beat out Coldplay - Clocks (2002) with 58.82% of the vote (December 10-17, 2016).

In the Finals it beat out Michael Andrews feat. Gary Jules - Mad World (2002) with 52.63% of the vote (December 20, 2016 - January 1, 2017).

Throughout the tournament it earned an average vote percentage of 62.81%, good for 12th out of 14.

In the Tournament Finals Round 1 it beat out Adele - Set Fire to the Rain (2011) with 60.00% of the vote (January 2-9, 2017).

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

In The Air Tonight
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Phil Collins all day, everyday!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

voted Hurt

both are terrific

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voted Johnny Cash - Hurt (2002)

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Voted Hurt. Surprised to see it trailing.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Voted Hurt. Surprised to see it trailing.
    Because it's In the Motherfucking Air Tonight!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Hurt.

Country
    Country Flag

Gosh, tied at nine. Unexpected.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

where is Jon? he hasn't voted here yet

I believe in him doing the right thing!! (feverish and Heather have already done it)

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I would have voted for the NIN version instantly. I am still very glad to see some of Trent's lyrics in the tournament either way.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    where is Jon? he hasn't voted here yet

I believe in him doing the right thing!! (feverish and Heather have already done it)
    "Doing the right thing" is voting for Phil Collins.

Country
    Country Flag

Correct. With apologies to bears.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    "Doing the right thing" is voting for Phil Collins.
    yes, in most other brackets it is!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I tied it up for Phil. (Thank God it wasn't Sussudio! What were you thinking, Phil?!) Though I feel Mama was his (w/ Genesis) best work...passionate!

Spoiler:
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

All tied up at ten

Country
    Country Flag

Will someone break the tie please?

Unless I'm mistaken, stated votes are 6-5 in favor of "In the Air Tonight".

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In the Air Tonight. I like Johnny Cash - I grew up listening to my Mom playing his records - but I absolutely can't stand Hurt.

Country
    Country Flag

bears are fine with either outcome

(but they voted Hurt!!! I wish more Hurt voters would state their vote here, in case of unbroken tie)

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In the Air Tonight
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Country
    Country Flag

Rain is walking about... tying and untying threads...

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LOL

I don't know if I should use a or

Hi, Jean! Good to see you
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast