View Poll Results: Please choose one

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin'

8 38.10%
  • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

13 61.90%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Music - Tournament Finals: Round 2 (Matchup 3 of 13)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Great Music - Tournament Finals: Round 2 (Matchup 3 of 13)

For this finals poll, please choose one track to move on to the next round.

IMPORTANT! Please do not simply vote on name recognition (or lack thereof) alone. Please do listen to each nomination and then make your choice. Even if you think you know a track well, it's still worth giving it a listen for a refresher.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1966)

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

HOW WE GOT HERE

The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1966)

Nominated by Iwritecode on December 9, 2015.
    Seconded by Heather19 on December 9, 2015.

In Round 1 it placed 1st in Group 2 (March 22-29, 2016):
    • The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1966) 88.89%
    • The Doors - Break On Through (To the Other Side) (1967) 77.78%
    • The Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) (1965) 72.22%
    • The Rolling Stones - Mother's Little Helper (1966) 55.56%
    • Stevie Wonder - For Once in My Life (1968) 55.56%
    • Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love (1969) 55.56%
    • Merle Haggard - Okie From Muskogee (1969) 16.67%

In Round 2 it placed 1st in Group 4 (May 10-17, 2016):
    • The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1966) 86.67%
    • The Troggs - Wild Thing (1966) 80.00%
    • The Doors - The End (1967) 46.67%
    • Johnny Rivers - Secret Agent Man (1966) 33.33%
    • The Beach Boys - Sloop John B (1966) 26.67%

In Round 3 it placed 1st in Group 2 (June 24 - July 1, 2016):
    • The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1966) 66.67%
    • Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through the Grapevine (1968) 61.11%
    • Percy Sledge - When a Man Loves a Woman (1966) 50.00%
    • The Four Tops - Reach Out (I'll Be There) (1966) 16.67%

Entering the playoffs it was ranked 4th.

In Playoffs Round 2 it beat out Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky (1969) with 50.00% of the vote (September 29 - October 6, 2016).

In the Quarterfinals it beat out The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (1965) with 54.55% of the vote (November 11-18, 2016).

In the Semifinals it beat out The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black (1966) with 65.00% of the vote (December 7-14, 2016).

In the Finals it beat out Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising (1969) with 52.17% of the vote (December 19-31, 2016).

Throughout the tournament it earned an average vote percentage of 66.28%, good for 8th out of 14.

Country
    Country Flag

HOW WE GOT HERE

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971)

Nominated by fernandito on December 15, 2015.
    Seconded by Iwritecode on December 15, 2015.

In Round 1 it tied for 1st in Group 14 (March 25 - April 1, 2016):
    • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971) 73.68%
    • The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It) (1974) 73.68%
    • Black Sabbath - Iron Man (1970) 68.42%
    • David Bowie - Suffragette City (1972) 52.63%
    • The Doors - Roadhouse Blues (1970) 52.63%
    • Van Morrison - Moondance (1970) 47.37%
    • The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe (1974) 31.58%

In Round 2 it placed 1st in Group 16 (May 13-20, 2016):
    • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971) 75.00%
    • The Temptations - Papa Was a Rollin' Stone (1972) 50.00%
    • The Doobie Brothers - Black Water (1974) 50.00%
    • Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Mr. Bojangles (1970) 50.00%
    • Lou Reed - Perfect Day (1972) 25.00%

In Round 3 it placed 1st in Group 8 (June 29 - July 6, 2016):
    • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971) 77.78%
    • Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine (1971) 44.44%
    • The Doors - L.A. Woman (1971) 38.89%
    • The Who - Baba O'Riley (1971) 33.33%

Entering the playoffs it was ranked 6th.

In Playoffs Round 2 it beat out Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (1970) with 65.22% of the vote (October 4-11, 2016).

In the Quarterfinals it beat out Aerosmith - Dream On (1973) with 57.14% of the vote (November 12-19, 2016).

In the Semifinals it beat out Don McLean - American Pie (1971) with 57.14% of the vote (December 7-14, 2016).

In the Finals it beat out Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama (1974) with 52.17% of the vote (December 19-31, 2016).

Throughout the tournament it earned an average vote percentage of 65.45%, good for 9th out of 14.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

California Dreamin'
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Stairway To Heaven, obviously.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    California Dreamin'
    Obviously

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Stairway, are you guys serious?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Stairway To Heaven
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

California Dreamin about to get Ronda Rousey'd lmao.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Oh I fully expect Stairway to Heaven to win. It is an amazing piece of music. But I do personally prefer California Dreamin'. It's a great song, and I'll listen to it over Stairway any day.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Oh I fully expect Stairway to Heaven to win. It is an amazing piece of music. But I do personally prefer California Dreamin'. It's a great song, and I'll listen to it over Stairway any day.
    Me too. Voted The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1966)

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Stairway to Heaven is overrated. In this matchup, my vote also goes to The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1966).

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Stairway. Of course. Overrated or no overrated. Just imagine for a second that it didn't exist, that you'd never ever heard it. The whole world would be different - and worse. It's one of those songs that shape the universe.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    California Dreamin about to get Ronda Rousey'd lmao.
    Just three votes back. Doable

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Stairway. Of course. Overrated or no overrated. Just imagine for a second that it didn't exist, that you'd never ever heard it. The whole world would be different - and worse. It's one of those songs that shape the universe.

Spot on and that's why I voted for the Led Zep tune.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

My world would be quite a lot poorer without "California Dreamin'"

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. "Stairway to Heaven" will face Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (1964) in the Quarterfinals.

+ Reply to Thread