Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    So, I finally got around to watching Bird Box yesterday and... it kinda sucked.

I went into it mostly spoiler-free but after watching it I realized there wasn't a whole lot to really spoil.

Spoiler:
    Even the ending didn't make much sense. How were all the sighted people surviving in that building? What made it safe from the creatures?

Why didn't they explain anything about the creatures at all. Where did they come from? Why are they here? What do they even look like? Why did some people immediately commit suicide yet others were able to apparently survive and try to "turn" others?

Why the hell was Sandra Bullock's character so unattached to her own kid that she couldn't even give him a name?

So many unanswered questions and so many actors that were completely under-utilized.
    You know, while I still somehow managed to enjoy the film, I have to agree with you on every point you make as they were going through my head the entire time. I'm also not a fan of the flashback style as used in this film. Takes a lot of the suspense right out of it from the git-go, IMHO

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    So, I finally got around to watching Bird Box yesterday and... it kinda sucked.

I went into it mostly spoiler-free but after watching it I realized there wasn't a whole lot to really spoil.

Spoiler:
    Even the ending didn't make much sense. How were all the sighted people surviving in that building? What made it safe from the creatures?

Why didn't they explain anything about the creatures at all. Where did they come from? Why are they here? What do they even look like? Why did some people immediately commit suicide yet others were able to apparently survive and try to "turn" others?

Why the hell was Sandra Bullock's character so unattached to her own kid that she couldn't even give him a name?

So many unanswered questions and so many actors that were completely under-utilized.
    I agree with Joe, the ending to the book is much better. A lot darker, but it makes more sense.

And I usually tend to be in the minority on this point, but I don't mind at all that there is no explanation for the creatures. It just is. Theoretically if something crazy like this happened in real life, you and your friends and family wouldn't know why or how it happened, or what they are. I also like that they didn't show the creatures because I can only imagine that whatever they show wouldn't be scary enough. There's a mystery to it. Also you can't see what they look like or you'll go crazy so it fits right in line with that.

In answer to your question about
    Spoiler:
    the ones that can see it. These were all the crazy people that escaped the insane asylum or something, right? So they're already mad.

And Sandra not naming her kid I believe was just a defense mechanism on her part because she doesn't want to be too attached to them because chances of them surviving are very unlikely. And she's trying to raise them in this brutal world and give them the tools they'll need to attempt to survive.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Agree with everything Heather19 says. My thoughts are exact on it. I highly enjoyed Bird Box
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I know these videos are made with a comedic effect, but damn if it doesn't point out a lot of the same questions I had and many more.

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not a game changer, but great example of what the future holds. Everyone has been all kumbaya with one another as streaming cos delight in their growth at the expense of traditional cable. But once the market slowed, the game changes from market growth to market share...like it always always does. So these same cos then stop innovating and focus their efforts to stealing the competition’s customers instead. Should only be a couple of years before we’re right back where we started in the 90s with options being limited to a few massive companies that stress incompatibility with their competition and punish their customers accordingly

https://gizmodo.com/as-apple-moves-i...-fo-1833863148

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    Not a game changer, but great example of what the future holds. Everyone has been all kumbaya with one another as streaming cos delight in their growth at the expense of traditional cable. But once the market slowed, the game changes from market growth to market share...like it always always does. So these same cos then stop innovating and focus their efforts to stealing the competition’s customers instead. Should only be a couple of years before we’re right back where we started in the 90s with options being limited to a few massive companies that stress incompatibility with their competition and punish their customers accordingly

https://gizmodo.com/as-apple-moves-i...-fo-1833863148
    Did anyone else think this was a spambot post at first? lol

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Public service announcement:

Spielberg's AI is now on Netflix: http://www.netflix.com/title/60020748

This is a highly original and criminal underappreciated film that's not been really streaming much anywhere that I've seen in the last few years. If you haven't seen it since 2001, please do. Now in HD!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Public service announcement:

Spielberg's AI is now on Netflix: http://www.netflix.com/title/60020748

This is a highly original and criminal underappreciated film that's not been really streaming much anywhere that I've seen in the last few years. If you haven't seen it since 2001, please do. Now in HD!
    Agreed! Great film.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Netflix Orders ‘Midnight Mass’ Horror Series From ‘The Haunting Of Hill House’s Mike Flanagan & Trevor Macy

https://deadline.com/2019/07/netflix...es-1202640218/
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Been too long since we’ve talked up netflix’s Eventual demise...

Only 2.7M new subs in Q2 2019, well short of their 5M forecast and their quarterly worst performance in years. Regions that were hardest hit were where they implemented price increases

Office/Friends etc are leaving soon and Netflix will no longer be the place for cancelled series to be revived; it appears the new trend will be to revive them on the native network’s streaming only service. Winter is coming Netflix....

Also, my quick conspiracy theory - ya know how they love to brag about how many views their properties (like Stranger Things S3 which was awesome) get, but conveniently omit the fact that this number also includes people that watch for 5 minutes before exiting for something else?

Well, I’ve noticed many app updates of theirs (like on Xbox and iPad) now include an auto play element; as soon as you open the app, it’ll immediately play a trailer or clip of either something in your queue or whatever new show they just released. I wonder if they’re counting those as views as well........

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Netflix is getting stale and their offerings are worse and worse.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Honestly I don't really understand the Netflix hate. It's still the only streaming service other than Amazon Prime I personally pay for or really see myself paying for. Sure they're shedding 3rd party content left and right, but everyone is. The world is trending towards everyone streaming their own stuff. I really like a lot of the "Netflix Originals" at least when it comes to the shows, haven't really ventured into their original movies yet. If you like food and sorta documentary type shows check out the show "Street Food" I've really been enjoying that one.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I am a fan of Netflix but wish that there was more older movie content
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Netflix is getting away from offering triple a content and people don’t like that. Only a few of their originals are any good and now they are losing their older series. Personally I have pretty cheap cable that offers way more than Netflix. Usually I get in Netflix, look around for 10 minutes, see that I’ve already watched everything interesting, and go back to cable.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Netflix is getting away from offering triple a content and people don’t like that. Only a few of their originals are any good and now they are losing their older series. Personally I have pretty cheap cable that offers way more than Netflix. Usually I get in Netflix, look around for 10 minutes, see that I’ve already watched everything interesting, and go back to cable.
    This is exactly how I feel about Netflix. I love the service, and gladly pay for it, but lately it seems like it's turned into the modern "straight to dvd" equivalent. I enjoy a lot of their offerings, but they have a bunch of crap to sift through

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I guess maybe I treat Netflix differently than you guys. I subscribe to Netflix for specific things. Specifically their originals. Stranger Things, Altered Carbon, The Marvel Shows, Bojack Horsemen, Disenchantment, The Umbrella Academy, just to name a few. There's a whole bunch on my list that I just haven't gotten around to yet either. I never go to Netflix to just browse. To me it's like HBO in the sense that you probably don't subscribe to HBO Go to browse, you subbed for Game of Thrones or West World or something like that. Same thing, different company. I guess maybe the problem is that Netflix used to be a place that you would just browse, it's just not that anymore, that doesn't really exist anymore though (at least in my experience).

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    I guess maybe I treat Netflix differently than you guys. I subscribe to Netflix for specific things. Specifically their originals. Stranger Things, Altered Carbon, The Marvel Shows, Bojack Horsemen, Disenchantment, The Umbrella Academy, just to name a few. There's a whole bunch on my list that I just haven't gotten around to yet either. I never go to Netflix to just browse. To me it's like HBO in the sense that you probably don't subscribe to HBO Go to browse, you subbed for Game of Thrones or West World or something like that. Same thing, different company. I guess maybe the problem is that Netflix used to be a place that you would just browse, it's just not that anymore, that doesn't really exist anymore though (at least in my experience).
    Gotta say ditto to that
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Gotta say ditto to that
    But I mean that’s ALSO a problem, right? Subscription fatigue. People don’t want to have 20 subscriptions to watch exclusive content. It becomes very expensive quickly.

Country
    Country Flag

Gotta say ditto to that
    But I mean that’s ALSO a problem, right? Subscription fatigue. People don’t want to have 20 subscriptions to watch exclusive content. It becomes very expensive quickly.
    Don’t worry, as cos like Netflix continue to overextend themselves to meet quarterly demands (that’s why I hate on them Daniel-san) at the expense of AAA content, they’ll eventually value cold hard cash over new subscribers. Then a conglomerate will come in and buy them out along with other sinking services (what up Hulu), and will offer a bundled sub to all of the various streaming services for one low price. Then consumers will be right back where we started with cable packages in the 90s...except now we’ll have to overpay for ISP instead of a cable box or satellite dish and be forced to take a couple shitty streamers to get the small handful of ones we want. The more things change....

Gotta say ditto to that
    Don’t worry, as cos like Netflix continue to overextend themselves to meet quarterly demands (that’s why I hate on them Daniel-san) at the expense of AAA content, they’ll eventually value cold hard cash over new subscribers. Then a conglomerate will come in and buy them out along with other sinking services (what up Hulu), and will offer a bundled sub to all of the various streaming services for one low price. Then consumers will be right back where we started with cable packages in the 90s...except now we’ll have to overpay for ISP instead of a cable box or satellite dish and be forced to take a couple shitty streamers to get the small handful of ones we want. The more things change....
    Hmm I don't really see Netflix as over extending themselves. I just think they need to be a bit more realistic with their projections. At some point they are gonna stop growing. All these services are, and Netflix has been around the longest and outside of Amazon Prime probably has the most "saturation". Though I'd be curious to know how many people who have Prime actually use Prime Video, I know I barely use it at all. I think I've only watched 3 of their shows, The Tick, Jack Ryan, and Hannah.

I don't really see things ending up back in the cable TV model either. Currently the major streaming services are Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. There's some smaller ones but all the smaller ones are struggling because they just can't offer enough to justify their price (looking at you CBS All Access). Hulu will probably get shut down eventually, because Disney basically owns it and are making their own service. Disney will succeed because people will sub just because it's Disney, Amazon Prime Video will succeed because it's just one of many selling points of Amazon Prime and not the main benefit, and I think Netflix will continue to succeed, because once these smaller services fail they'll need somewhere to go and it'll be to Netflix or Amazon, and at the end of the day if you compare just Prime Video with Netflix, Netflix is the better service with more offerings.

Netflix just needs to ride out the storm that is everyone making their own services then failing at it. Just my thoughts on the whole thing though, it's all wild speculation though and could be totally wrong.

Country
    Country Flag

Netflix is far and away my favorite too. (Although Jack Ryan was great, cant wait for S2). And you’re right in that they def have the capital to weather this arms race of streamers. But, respectfully, I think they’re burning cash at far too rapid a rate for sustainability if they change nothing.

My other major gripe with Netflix is that they’re not leaving the marketplace better than they found it. All great businesses make an impact that forces everyone to elevate their game which ultimately benefits the customer. Say what you will about a Walmart or even an Amazon, but they gave us the same product at a better price. Netflix isn’t doing that; they just changed the way we consume the product, but now that their massive presence is squeezing out the little guys you mentioned, they’re replacing the product with inferior versions.

Essentially what they’re doing is selling you all the cereals you’ve always loved, and bringing you multiple brands of your favorite cereals (Fruity Pebbles being the obvious best, non-debatable) right to your door instead of making you seek it out. Then, once the supermarkets and convenience stores start to take them off their shelves, suddenly you can only get generic brands of cereal from Netflix while they continue to slowly raise the price of their cereal membership.

Bye bye fruity pebbles, hello chocolate frosted sugar bombs.

FYI S4 of stranger things is officially a go and Comedians in Cars dropped new eps today, so they still have some damn good cereal. But Winter is Coming

I don't really track their financials so I can't really speak to that, but I was always under the impression that other than licensing B movies no one cares about the originals were way cheaper to produce than the licensing fees for the A movies and TV shows. As far as leaving the market in a better place and as for squeezing out the little guys, I don't think that's really what's happening.

It's the little guys that just don't really seem to understand the market all that well. Those little guys in my opinion are sorta squeezing themselves out, just because they want a piece of the pie so to speak, but can't offer enough content to make it worth the consumer's investment. At the same time they are making Netflix's product worse for them by not renewing their licensing agreements. It's a little on Netflix as they could offer better deals on that stuff to convince those people to stay, but without really knowing the numbers and the operating costs and what not maybe those margins were all they could be in the first place. Honestly I can't even imagine what it costs to operate the tech end of things on Netflix's front. It has to be absurd.

That's great for Stranger Things. I really liked season 3. I'm also really looking forward to season 2 of Altered Carbon. That show might be my favorite of their originals. I really wish Marvel wasn't axe'ing the Netflix shows though, Jessica Jones season 3 was fantastic.

Country
    Country Flag

Great point about the little guys - be better. (Easy for us to say on the outside looking in)

It’s gotta be frustrating for them though. They want a show they can anchor their service on (like House of Cards way back when), but then to see someone as massive as YouTube present a top tier anchor show like Cobra Kai - love that show to death - and then have to resort to devaluing their own Premium service and ultimately giving it away for free just to monetize the traffic. I’m personally hoping for more niche services like Shudder in the future. Give me a sci-fi streamer, a standup streamer, horror etc

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

FYI S4 of stranger things is officially a go...
    Is it? Where did you see that? (I've been watching for that news and haven't seen anything official from Netflix.)
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    FYI S4 of stranger things is officially a go...
    Is it? Where did you see that? (I've been watching for that news and haven't seen anything official from Netflix.)
    You’re right. Nothing officially official from Netflix. But Shawn Levy, head producer, already said it’s a go (to collider maybe? Cant remember). And the Duffer bros said filming starts in October (for growth spurt purposes I’m assuming) don’t remember who they said that to. I think comicbook?

They also said:
    S1: Winter (ish) 1983
    S2: Fall 1984
    S3: Summer 1985
    S4: most likely Spring 1986

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast