Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Arrowhead Project ***The Mist Spoilers***

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculapius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    I tend to err on the side of caution regarding spoilers, and that just seemed too spoilerish, say sorry.
    Exactly. It's hard to get across this particular idea without bringing up instances in other books to use as good examples. I can think of another one in 'Desperation'.

Also, I agree with what you said about 'From A Buick 8'.
    here
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Spoiler:
    'Suppose,' says the man twirling his Stetson between his hands, 'that the 8 is a kind of valve. Like the one in a scuba diver's regulator. Sometimes it breathes in and sometimes it breathes out, giving or receiving according to the will of the user. But what it does is always limited by the valve.'
    'Yes, but ― '
    'Or think of it. another way. Suppose it breathes like a man lying on the bottom of a swamp and using a hollow reed to sip air with so he won't be seen.'

i see what you mean now about the arrowhead project.

I don't recall anything in SOS, though.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Some consider Stephen King to be a valve because of his role
    Spoiler:
    in controlling or regulating the flow of Gan's song in the keystone world.
    In this case,
    Spoiler:
    killing King would pinch the valve at the stem and end Gan's song and, consequently, Roland's (and the Tower's story) in the keystone world.
    The ultimate effect of this, of course, would be devastating to all worlds.
    Last edited by Woofer; 02-18-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Finish post. D'oh!
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Traveler Jack Lee is on a distinguished road Jack Lee's Avatar

DARK TOWER VII SPOILERS

I see something here.

In 1977, in the Key world, Eddie and Roland are in Maine, and they're witnessing a great electrical storm. Out of the storm comes the "walk in's" and this is the breach that the two heroes run into. Supposedly this is caused by a beamquake. This beamquake leaves ripples throughout every reality in the multiverse.
    Now imagine that it's just about the same time in the Mist-reality, July 19th actually. In this reality not only is there a beamquake being felt, but there is also a series of tests and expirements going on that are acting like an enormous etheral drill, blasting a hole into a wall that is already missing a few studs.
    Basically what I'm saying is that a beamquake shares some of the responsibility for releasing todash monsters in The Mist.

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Grillslinger View Post
    In one of of the DT comics....King describes an incident where men try to destroy the tower. There is a great earthquake. The ground opens up, and out comes a thick mist.

I think they made a portal...and the portal didn't go to other worlds...just inbetween.
    I wasn't reading the comic "backstories" all that closely until this last cycle - and now i've gone back and began reading them all - but when I read the quoted refernce above - The Mist came immediately to mind. I think that things like project arrowhead are what created Thinny's. Technology mucking with magic to create anomolies...

Citizen of Gilead Aesculapius is on a distinguished road Aesculapius's Avatar

:rose:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hbdZPCcej0"]YouTube - The Dark Tower (from the mist)[/ame]

suppose we're all gifted, suppose that the mist is a metaphor for change, suppose the veil will be lifted
    Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

My Mood
    Breezy

hey, I wonder if there's a way to find that painting.

thanks Aescaulipus!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

According to the artist (via an email conversation I had wondering the same thing) there are not any prints or reproductions at all.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Breezy

you know the artist? :O

tell me everything

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No, I just emailed him to inquire about it myself.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Breezy

you emailed who?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Drew Struzan

If you rescue me

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I have read the story, and last night I rented
    the dvd and I am just about to go watch it!
    Then I maybe able to add to this discussion.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Breezy

took me a while to find it, but I did.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Swwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet...one thing though...all that white light hurts my eyes.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Breezy

i posted in the other The Mist thread what I find wrong with it, but you're right, it's pretty sweet.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Ok, so I dont have much to offer as it wasnt expounded on.
    So they (AP) opened todash space while doing whatever it
    is they were doing ( splitting atoms...whatever) and the
    creatures came out from between the worlds. Creatures like
    the lot in Dreamcatcher, Buick, etc... all cousins I understand
    from outside Cleavland originally.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

tentacles!
    Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

My Mood
    Breezy

i liked the From a Buick 8 descriptions on the outerwordly creatures, they helped visualize more than the DT series did. But I don't think they were from Todash space, just a different world/universe.

:radioactive:

It's just too bad the lot of us do not gnow how to use the Mist to our favor. Much better you than I, mayhap.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg"]YouTube - Tool - Vicarious[/ame]

Sorry...I'll attempt to explain myself further as to not be so cryptic (which is my nature).

At some point we are going to reach critical mass...it's inevitable. We do not strive to make smaller cellphones, smaller laptops, faster processors, blue ray lasers to replace red lasers (black is what we desire; "we produce black pearls"-King), etc. for NO reason. At some point we could find the answer to how something can be taken from "nothing". I'm sure the "knowledge" exists now, but, we as a collective may never possess It because "wisdom" is hard to find. We would bastardize it quick. It's also difficult to profit from quantum mechanics.

In the movie (I don't remember if this part was in the short story), there is a woman who refuses to remain there in the store while her child is at home with a younger sibling because as she explains, the child is only eight or nine and that the child sometimes forgets to check in on the sibling. They try to talk her out of leaving the store, but, she has no fear of the Mist. If you've seen the end, you know where this is going.

I believe that if the Mist is a metaphor for change, then we must not fear it as we have done for years and years and years. (see another King quote below) I desire change that doesn't remain the same. And, a good way for that to happen is to merge red with blue and become aware of the depth that exists...right in front of us.

Also, I found it quite interesting how difficult it was for some to convince others that there were things in the Mist. Anyways, back to the lab.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculapius View Post
    In the movie (I don't remember if this part was in the short story), there is a woman who refuses to remain there in the store while her child is at home with a younger sibling because as she explains, the child is only eight or nine and that the child sometimes forgets to check in on the sibling. They try to talk her out of leaving the store, but, she has no fear of the Mist. If you've seen the end, you know where this is going.
    I had the chance to watch The Mist this weekend, and it was pretty good, especially the ending.
    That was a King-kicks-you-in-the-ass classic ending.

I wish there had been more about the Arrowhead Project in the movie...I dont remember the novella well, so I dont know if the movie differed a lot.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

No, the movie was almost dead on with the novella. All but the ending, which was never really written.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    No, the movie was almost dead on with the novella. All but the ending, which was never really written.
    So, there wasnt any more info on the Project in the novella, eh?
    Well, we can always speculate.
    Thanks for the info, Storyslinger.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    So, there wasnt any more info on the Project in the novella, eh?
    Well, we can always speculate.
    Thanks for the info, Storyslinger.
    To bad, huh? Speculation is always fun though. Maybe, it will show up as a short story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast