Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Collectible H.P.Lovecraft

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by craigobau View Post
    I would also recommend checking out the Alan Moore “Providence” graphic novel series which weaves the events from many of HPL’s stories into a single narrative about a journalist in 1919 investigating a series of strange events.

Highly recommended, even is you’re not a fan of graphic novels.
    GREAT suggestion! As a long-time Alan Moore Super Fan- I found PROVIDENCE to be among his absolute best works. It is brilliantly conceived and executed- and a hell of a lot of fun! A good working knowledge of the main HPL stories really enhances what Moore does with the narrative, and even then I found myself having to consult the wonderful DEEP dive companion annotation site: https://factsprovidence.wordpress.com/. It is also important to read THE COURTYARD and NEONOMICON first, as PROVIDENCE is both a prequel- and sequel to both (it's complicated).

Also, timely, as the PROVIDENCE TPB complete collected edition is about to be published, and will be available fairly cheaply for the whole run.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    I would also recommend checking out the Alan Moore “Providence” graphic novel series which weaves the events from many of HPL’s stories into a single narrative about a journalist in 1919 investigating a series of strange events.

Highly recommended, even is you’re not a fan of graphic novels.
    GREAT suggestion! As a long-time Alan Moore Super Fan- I found PROVIDENCE to be among his absolute best works. It is brilliantly conceived and executed- and a hell of a lot of fun! A good working knowledge of the main HPL stories really enhances what Moore does with the narrative, and even then I found myself having to consult the wonderful DEEP dive companion annotation site: https://factsprovidence.wordpress.com/. It is also important to read THE COURTYARD and NEONOMICON first, as PROVIDENCE is both a prequel and sequel to both (it's complicated).

Also timely as the PROVIDENCE TPB complete collected edition is about to be published, and will be available fairly cheaply for the whole run.
    Love Alan Moore - but never read these - thanks for suggestion:

https://www.comcav.net/collections/p...-hc-deluxe-set
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No new news yet on that 4th hardcover Variorum volume?

Gunslinger Apprentice JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM's Avatar

As Gary Gianni is going to be getting some good exposure with the upcoming Arete Editions 'Case of Death and Honey' - I figured I'd point out this nice, reasonably affordable edition of 'Call of Cthulhu' also illustrated by Gianni. I've got a copy of an earlier edition of this and there are a ton of illustrations - this appears to be the same edition, but in a larger format, with a dust jacket and signed - https://www.fleskpublications.com/bo...luxe-hardcover
    'chaos, mr. who, that is our mode and modus'

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All 17 of PS Publishing’s illustrated editions of HPL stories are currently available for the bargain price of £129;

https://pspublishing2.com/illustrate...ion-1053-p.asp

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

All 17 of PS Publishing’s illustrated editions of HPL stories are currently available for the bargain price of £129;

Plus £50 shipping to the US.

Still a good deal! I bought it.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

Still a fantastic deal! I think these books are a lot cooler than most people may realize. They are just so damn...fun! Best way to describe them. Please post your thoughts here when you've had a chance to check them out.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

Still a fantastic deal! I think these books are a lot cooler than most people may realize. They are just so damn...fun! Best way to describe them. Please post your thoughts here when you've had a chance to check them out.
    I will. I almost bought in to the series when they came out. I just didn't want to get into another commitment. All at once for a discount works for me!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Still no news on this, I guess?

My Mood
    Relaxed

I haven't heard anything. I think if you follow Joshi's blog- that's where you're likely to hear any news re: Hippocampus first.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Two HPL stories, Pickman’s Model and Dreams Of The Witch House, have been adapted in the new Netflix series, Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities.

I just watched Pickman’s Model and thought it was very good. Lots of cosmic creepiness!

Gunslinger Apprentice JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM's Avatar

I'd forgotten about this thread. Worth mentioning that Easton Press has an edition of 'At the Mountains of Madness' available now, with some lovely art by David Palumbo. Typical Easton production values, to fill out page count they've gone with huge margins and a huge font size - which seems like a questionable design choice. Pricing is pretty high as well. But, if you love the art...

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't heard anything. I think if you follow Joshi's blog- that's where you're likely to hear any news re: Hippocampus first.
    A note from March of this year reads:

"Volume 4 of the variorum edition of Lovecraft’s Collected Fiction now contains the four stories that Lovecraft revised for C. M. Eddy, Jr. The hardcover edition of this volume is still pending; let’s hope it can appear by summer."

So could be imminent! Let's hope.

Figured this might be of interest to some folks here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../shunned-house

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm thinking of springing for Hippocampus's Variorum Lovecrafts; can anyone tell me how much editorial (Joshi) content there is? I'm not seeking page counts, but I'm hoping to have more than 5 pages per volume; I'd like something to sink my teeth into, to learn from.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm also wondering if anyone has Leslie Klinger's two "annotated" HPL volumes (The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft and The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft: Beyond Arkham), if you liked them and (for any who've also read the Hippocampus volumes) how the editorial commentary stacks up against that of the Hippocampus volumes (Joshi).

I'm guessing the Hippocampus volumes are worth it irrespective of the Joshi content due to their inclusion of text variants etc., but I'm not sure about the Klinger ones.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I'm also wondering if anyone has Leslie Klinger's two "annotated" HPL volumes (The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft and The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft: Beyond Arkham), if you liked them and (for any who've also read the Hippocampus volumes) how the editorial commentary stacks up against that of the Hippocampus volumes (Joshi).

I'm guessing the Hippocampus volumes are worth it irrespective of the Joshi content due to their inclusion of text variants etc., but I'm not sure about the Klinger ones.
    I don't have the "Variorum" books to hand- they're buried in a box while I reconfigure my "bookcase problems" (which we all have, I'm sure), but- I don't believe they have a whole lot of editorial content, other than some notes about the variants, which, honestly- just don't interest me that much. I remember asking Joshi at the time they came out if they were to have his copious annotations from the 3 Penguin Classics volumes, and he responded in the negative, that he found them unnecessary and would be too excessive to the Variorum editions. I was disappointed because I thought that- FINALLY- we would have the Ultimate Lovecraft editions in the Variorums, but, alas- one still needs multiple editions to get everything.

I absolutely love annotations, and Joshi's are brilliant and informative, but it's a crime that they are only in those flimsy, micro-print Penguin editions (and the two earlier PB volumes done with he and Peter Cannon- "Annotated", and "More Annotated", respectively). I do refer to them often when re-reading Lovecraft, but they are no joy at all in form. I've been dying for an authoritative, annotated, illustrated, multi-volume, beautifully-designed Lovecraft set, and cannot believe that we don't have one by now. I even asked Marcelo Anciano- the best book designer in the trade as far as I'm concerned- about doing for Lovecraft what he so triumphantly did for Robert E. Howard with his Wandering Star volumes, and, while he agreed with me that it was puzzling that nobody has done that for Lovecraft yet, he probably wouldn't be doing it either as his plate if so full with Arete and Lyras Books now.

Having said all that- those two Les Klinger Annotated volumes are well worth anyone's time (even if they, too, are incomplete) with lots for you to "sink your teeth" into. Highly recommended.

We did get that wonderfully done "best of" volume from Folio a few years ago, but, yeah- The Ultimate Lovecraft still lies dreaming in R'lyeh.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I'm also wondering if anyone has Leslie Klinger's two "annotated" HPL volumes...
    I don't have the "Variorum" books to hand- they're buried in a box while I reconfigure my "bookcase problems" (which we all have, I'm sure), but- I don't believe they have a whole lot of editorial content, other than some notes about the variants, which, honestly- just don't interest me that much. I remember asking Joshi at the time they came out if they were to have his copious annotations from the 3 Penguin Classics volumes, and he responded in the negative, that he found them unnecessary and would be too excessive to the Variorum editions. I was disappointed because I thought that- FINALLY- we would have the Ultimate Lovecraft editions in the Variorums, but, alas- one still needs multiple editions to get everything.

I absolutely love annotations, and Joshi's are brilliant and informative, but it's a crime that they are only in those flimsy, micro-print Penguin editions (and the two earlier PB volumes done with he and Peter Cannon- "Annotated", and "More Annotated", respectively). I do refer to them often when re-reading Lovecraft, but they are no joy at all in form. I've been dying for an authoritative, annotated, illustrated, multi-volume, beautifully- designed Lovecraft set, and cannot believe that we don't have one by now. I even asked Marcelo Anciano- the best book designer in the trade as far as I'm concerned- about doing for Lovecraft what he did so triumphantly for Robert E. Howard with his Wandering Star volumes, and while he agreed with me that it was puzzling that nobody has done that for Lovecraft yet, he probably wouldn't be doing it either as his plate if so full with Arete and Lyras Books now.

Having said all that- those two Les Klinger Annotated volumes are well worth anyone's time (even if they, too, are incomplete) with lots for you to "sink your teeth" into. Highly recommended.

We did get that wonderfully done "best of" volume from Folio a few years ago, but, yeah- The Ultimate Lovecraft still lies dreaming in R'lyeh.
    Thanks for all of this. I'd never heard of the Penguin Classics volumes - now I have one more thing to hunt.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Those Penguin Classics are my favourite HPL covers. They totally nail the feel of the stories.

Actually, the Penguin Classics covers for Beaumont, Ray Russell, Ligotti, Matheson, Dunsany, S. Jackson are some of my favourite covers ever.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Hmm... a quick look at Amazon for the aforementioned Penguin Classics editions, and the very first two reviews make it sound like there is a newer, better produced (paper and font-wise) printing, but SANS the annotations?!

"A warning: most of the reviews on this page are NOT for the book this page describes. What we have here is a "Deluxe Penguin Classics Edition," with a mammoth 448 thick quality-paper pages, deckle-edged. It contains nearly all of Lovecraft's best-known tales, and there are two other Penguin collections, equally large in page number, that collect all the rest..."
    "This new edition feels fantastic with rough-edged pages and a great typeface. Easy to read and hold in the hand. For simply reading the stories, it is the best edition available. Penguin cut all the explanatory notes about the stories that the editor included, which is a bit of a bummer as those notes were very interesting and added to the book. But I guess for a text it can get annoying with superscript numbers all over the pages. I know it kind of takes me out of the story when I see a superscript number in a text every 20 sentences. I like the 1999 edition as well, but for purely reading purposes this one is superior. If you want to know more about the notes behind some of the stories you will want to select the 1999 Penguin edition"

https://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Stori...&tag=hyprod-20

Soo... sounds like one would really need to be sure which they are ordering. If anyone has further, clearer info on how to order- I'd love to hear. Does anyone here have these newer, annotation-less editions? Would love to know if the quality is worth yet another set of Lovecrafts for me!

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Those Penguin Classics are my favourite HPL covers. They totally nail the feel of the stories.

Actually, the Penguin Classics covers for Beaumont, Ray Russell, Ligotti, Matheson, Dunsany, S. Jackson are some of my favourite covers ever.
    And- I agree about the line's covers. Very evocative.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There will be something very cool for Lovecraft fans announced next week
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Hmm...

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The publisher will not officially / publicly announce it until next week, but it is available on their website and told me I can share it I want
    There is also a discount price until sunday :

AT THE MOUNTAIN OF MADNESS, reproduction of the original manuscript !
    It's here : https://www.spbooks.com/155-at-the-m...095457152.html

In horror, the publisher also have the manuscript of "FRANKENSTEIN" :
    https://www.spbooks.com/75-frankenst...095457459.html

All of their manuscripts :
    https://www.spbooks.com/14-manuscripts
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast