Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible H.P.Lovecraft

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Dark Regions have just launched their Cthulhu Mythos Kickstarter Campaign, featuring The Red Brain (S/L) edited by S.T. Joshi (A sequel to the A Mountain Walked anthology).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-regions-press
    I'll be going in for this.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by somekindofstranger View Post
    Dark Regions have just launched their Cthulhu Mythos Kickstarter Campaign, featuring The Red Brain (S/L) edited by S.T. Joshi (A sequel to the A Mountain Walked anthology).

Yep, I kicked in at the $150 S/L... I like the idea of matching the A Mountain Walked S/L (although they're going to have to pull out all the stops to match the Centipede Press quality).

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yep, I kicked in at the $150 S/L... I like the idea of matching the A Mountain Walked S/L (although they're going to have to pull out all the stops to match the Centipede Press quality).
    i spoke (email) with jerad at centipede to ask about this - he is not involved at all. i am just not sure if the quality will match - so i had not ordered one yet - a bit leary
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post

i spoke (email) with jerad at centipede to ask about this - he is not involved at all. i am just not sure if the quality will match - so i had not ordered one yet - a bit leary
    I am a bit leary as well. It will take a lot to match the quality of the first one. I do have a few of their books (Dreams From The Witch House was particularly nice, even in Trade Paperback form), so I'm hopeful. What is frustrating about them- and I vented it all out to them on their Facebook page yesterday, for better or worse- is their incessant emails that are so mind-numbingly repetitive that one cannot find any real "news" amongst the same old stuff you just saw a few days ago. And a few days before that, and a few days before that... Their website was utterly unnavigable forever, and they just unveiled a brand new one- which may be worse. And, their "Kitchen Sink" crowd-funded listings are just a confusing mess. Dude- I just want to buy a book or two from you. Why make it so I move on in frustration? It's a shame, because, as I said- they seem to do really nice books.

Is it just me? Anybody else get a headache from their business model? Maybe I'm just getting older and crankier.("Maybe?!", says the wife over my shoulder)

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Let me start off by saying that Centipede Press's A Mountain Walked is in my top 10 S/L's for production quality. It's just beautiful and feels like museum quality. So I'm really not expecting Dark Regions to match it exactly. I've never got an S/L from them (I don't think - but I do have I Am The Abyss S/L on order), but I've found their paperbacks, their artwork choices, etc to be great so far. I'm most interested in the very idea of a sequel to A Mountain Walked - it's one of the most highly regarded books extending the Cthulhu mythos. And with Joshi on board, and that author contributor list, I think it's going to be an excellent addition to the Lovecraftian canon (in a world of a million Lovecraft additions!). So, whoever is publishing it, at $150, with a full sig sheet, it's worth the stretch for me. If they can pull off at least half the quality of CP's first volume, I'll be happy. And the artwork already looks amazing.

As for the website, yep, the previous one shit me to tears but their new one is fine to me. I also agree about the repetitive empty emails but I could also include a few of the other small press in that complaint (e.g., Gauntlet comes immediately to mind). One thing they do better than any other US small publisher - overseas shipping rates. It costs me half the price to get a book shipped from them to Australia, compared to say Cemetary Dance.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Damn- this is one I will be sad to miss. Just too steep for me:

http://www.foliosociety.com/book/HUL...thulhu-limited

I'll probably bite on the regular edition, though:

http://www.foliosociety.com/book/CLU...all-of-cthulhu

Anyone interested (and have the scratch!) for a limited? Hope someone here gets one!

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Damn- this is one I will be sad to miss. Just too steep for me:

http://www.foliosociety.com/book/HUL...thulhu-limited

I'll probably bite on the regular edition, though:

http://www.foliosociety.com/book/CLU...all-of-cthulhu

Anyone interested (and have the scratch!) for a limited? Hope someone here gets one!
    Would love the limited, but have to go for the regular this time. But the regular looks a lovely edition too.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Although they are beautiful books (I think they nailed the aesthetic/design), I am sitting these ones out, but would dearly love a Folio Society set covering all of HPL's fiction (not just a few "select tales"), not as one of their "LEs" (way out of my price range), but as standard editions.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Barnes & Noble and the Hippocampus Press editions of the complete fiction are all I need.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The Barnes & Noble and the Hippocampus Press editions of the complete fiction are all I need.
    I have the B&N but had never heard of Hippocampus, which I just looked up and looks nice.

Does the Hippocampus set have interior illustrations or a slipcase?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No and no, sorry. But great books. I have pretty much all of their main HPL hardcovers, the essays series is my favorite.

Country
    Country Flag

Both of those Folio editions look really lovely, but like St Troy, I'd only really stretch if it were the complete works, at this stage.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Re: The Folio books: Here's a curious thing:

I was reading a wired.co.uk article on the new Lovecraft editions (http://www.wired.co.uk/article/cthul...s-hp-lovecraft) and noticed that they mentioned the prices in GBP as "£75 and £345 respectively". And, if you log into the UK Folio site, those prices are confirmed. Even my atrocious math- and vague sense of international currency adjustment rates- set off my spidey senses. As of yesterday, that equals about $448 for the limited and $97 for the regular edition. Yet the US site lists the books as $575 and $120, respectively. That's a pretty significant bump on the limited. I wrote them and they basically said, 'yeah- we mark up the books for the US market because we eat a lot on shipping and insurance'. That may be true, but, I buy a lot of PS books, and SST books, and Tolkien HarperCollins books- and I've never experienced a mark up because it was going to the US..

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Re: The Folio books: Here's a curious thing:

I was reading a wired.co.uk article on the new Lovecraft editions (http://www.wired.co.uk/article/cthul...s-hp-lovecraft) and noticed that they mentioned the prices in GBP as "£75 and £345 respectively". And, if you log into the UK Folio site, those prices are confirmed. Even my atrocious math- and vague sense of international currency adjustment rates- set off my spidey senses. As of yesterday, that equals about $448 for the limited and $97 for the regular edition. Yet the US site lists the books as $575 and $120, respectively. That's a pretty significant bump on the limited. I wrote them and they basically said, 'yeah- we mark up the books for the US market because we eat a lot on shipping and insurance'. That may be true, but, I buy a lot of PS books, and SST books, and Tolkien HarperCollins books- and I've never experienced a mark up because it was going to the US..
    Yeah, FS is known for doing this to a few (at least) countries; FS addicts don't like it and have occasionally lobbied for FS to find a way around it, but as yet to no avail.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Received the Folio Lovecraft today (regular edition), and it is immediately impressive. It is certainly the most beautiful Lovecraft collection ever issued, by far. I can't think of anything that comes close (Heavenly Monkey's Shadow Over Innsmouth is still the pinnacle of books that bear the name Lovecraft, in my opinion, but that is a single story). As stated above, the only knock on this- and it's considerable- is that it is just a handful of stories (see the Table Of Contents in the pics below- if I do it right). If it were a more "complete"- or even a respectable attempt- collection, I'd call it essential. As is, it's merely for the hardcore collector. But- it really is nice. When I want to read any of the stories that the Folio contains*- I will read this edition, no question.

* except for The Shadow Over Innsmouth (see above)

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

These exact same stories have been published a few times together. My guess is they only got the rights to that book vs the full compilation book. Either way that is a beautiful edition.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Great artwork. FS nailed the Lovecraft vibe (and anyone who hasn't should check out their "limited edition" of this, which goes for $575.00). Likewise, if they published a full collection of his works (perhaps a set of 4 or 5 volumes similar to this), hell yeah, I'm in (pending the wife's permission, as always).

Country
    Country Flag

My 'regular' edition arrived from folio today and I agree it is impressive. My only other lovecraft collection is an old paperback so buying this was an easy decision!

My Mood
    Relaxed

My 'regular' edition arrived from folio today and I agree it is impressive. My only other lovecraft collection is an old paperback so buying this was an easy decision!
    Awesome! What an upgrade- congrats! I absolutely love this volume, and I hope Folio does more.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

That is a nice looking book.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

I would still highly recommend picking up the B&N edition, if the HP edition is no longer available:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bar...aft/1106658815

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I would still highly recommend picking up the B&N edition, if the HP edition is no longer available:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bar...aft/1106658815
    Yep, that one is pretty essential, I agree. I also really like their recent Cthulhu-centric edition (with the great John Coulthart design and poster): https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...=9781435162556 I think that one is equally essential, for various reasons.

This one, however, while... nice... I won't pay $180 for: https://www.eastonpress.com/prod/DA5...H-P--LOVECRAFT.

I've been waiting for them to do a Complete volume like this, but thought it would be more in the $60 range. Wonder why they went so expensive on this unsigned, un-illustrated, kind of bare bones Easton book? Weird.. in any case- nope. Too steep.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some of my favorite editions:

sk

My Mood
    Relaxed

Nice! Some of my favorites, too! Are the Arkham editions 1st "corrected" printings, respectively? Meaning, DH will be a "corrected 6th printing" (that is the first issue of the corrected texts, with the green Bayless cover).

Links to a guide of lovecraft collections:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Du...ror_and_Others
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...._P._Lovecraft

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Are the Arkham editions 1st "corrected" printings, respectively? Meaning, DH will be a "corrected 6th printing" (that is the first issue of the corrected texts, with the green Bayless cover).
    The other two are corrected 5th printings.

sk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast