Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Collectible H.P.Lovecraft

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Entirely appropriate! Alas, it looks like that copy has disappeared quickly, and rightly so: The Batrachian is my favorite book in my entire 30 years amassed book collection. Though probably not for sale, I think RC65 here has an Ichthyic- the only one I've seen outside of HM's own website pics. Speaking of which: your post prompted me to check back there- it's been awhile- and, was shocked to discover they did a new edition! Combined with sheets from an old privately printed History of the Necronomicon. Uber limited to 16 copies and long gone. That's gonna torture me. Looks gorgeous!

http://www.heavenlymonkey.com/Innsmouth2020.html
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Ichthyic edition is one of my long-term grails. I've never seen one for sale

When the Abyssal edition popped up I almost bought it - and probably should have - but what I really want is that Ichthyic. Such an amazing book...
    Oh, yeah- that edition looks absolutely amazing. I'm sure those 25 copies got immediately squirreled away all those years ago (sadly, probably by HM's usual customers, who- according to Rollin Milroy- were "suspicious of HPL"). But, hang in there, Lotus- you never know! Patience rewards the ardent collector, as you well know. Do you have the Batrachian, at least?

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Entirely appropriate! Alas, it looks like that copy has disappeared quickly, and rightly so: The Batrachian is my favorite book in my entire 30 years amassed book collection. Though probably not for sale, I think RC65 here has an Ichthyic- the only one I've seen outside of HM's own website pics. Speaking of which: your post prompted me to check back there- it's been awhile- and, was shocked to discover they did a new edition! Combined with sheets from an old privately printed History of the Necronomicon. Uber limited to 16 copies and long gone. That's gonna torture me. Looks gorgeous!

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Ichthyic edition is one of my long-term grails. I've never seen one for sale

When the Abyssal edition popped up I almost bought it - and probably should have - but what I really want is that Ichthyic. Such an amazing book...
    Oh, yeah- that edition looks absolutely amazing. I'm sure those 25 copies got immediately squirreled away all those years ago (sadly, probably by HM's usual customers, who- according to Rollin Milroy- were "suspicious of HPL"). But, hang in there, Lotus- you never know! Patience rewards the ardent collector, as you well know. Do you have the Batrachian, at least?
    No, I don't. I've been holding out for the Ichthyic all along. Though hearing that the Batrachian is your favorite book (and I know you appreciate a good HPL tome) has got me maybe changing my mind about this...

Gunslinger Apprentice JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM's Avatar

Here are a couple of photos of Types/Paper/Print. It's a really interesting edition, perhaps less so for someone like myself who is relatively new to fine press and the materials and processes involved in letterpress printing. That said, certainly I can see a bit of delight and humor come through here - 'hiding' a Lovecraft story in a type specimen book. And reading the story in constantly altering typefaces - the type growing smaller throughout each page as well, certainly has an odd feeling. Also included is a photo of the prospectus from 2012 that was tucked into the book.

Really like the Shinsuke Minegishi engraving.

'chaos, mr. who, that is our mode and modus'

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Wow, that is fascinating. I love that Minegishi piece, too. Man, if I had the extra scratch- I'd be all over that. Thanks SO much for the pics and thoughts- invaluable here. Much Appreciated!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is very impressive. And you can see how the paper is not flat but "ribbed" or whatever is the word
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Question! I have been out of the loop seemingly for several years. I have Hippocampus Press's three hardcover Variorum Edition volumes of HPL's complete fiction and I saw they published a fourth volume of collaborations and revisions, but only in paperback? There was no hardcover? I can't find it.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Question! I have been out of the loop seemingly for several years. I have Hippocampus Press's three hardcover Variorum Edition volumes of HPL's complete fiction and I saw they published a fourth volume of collaborations and revisions, but only in paperback? There was no hardcover? I can't find it.
    Don't worry- you didn't miss a Hardcover of Vol 4- they didn't make one, weirdly. Just the TPB. But, I hear that they may do one soon!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Don't worry- you didn't miss a Hardcover of Vol 4- they didn't make one, weirdly. Just the TPB. But, I hear that they may do one soon!
    Oh really? I think I used to be on their mailing list but I haven't had anything from them in a long time. Maybe's it's been going to spam...

My Mood
    Relaxed

Oh really? I think I used to be on their mailing list but I haven't had anything from them in a long time. Maybe's it's been going to spam...
    No, Hippocampus' email is... spotty, if not barely functioning. I haven't received one in.. well over a year, I think. Their main newsletter used to be through the old Yahoo Newsgroup email messages. I think as of last year they were still trying to figure out how to keep using that dead horse. Odd. Why not just a regular email newsletter? Anyway, most of their news these days seems to be had from their Facebook page, and even more so- S.T. Joshi's monthly(ish) blog updates. http://stjoshi.org/news.html I may have heard about the aforementioned Revisions Hardcover from the latter.

Country
    Country Flag

Indeed, here it is:

http://stjoshi.org/news2020.html
    Hippocampus Press still plans to issue a bevy of items soon, if it has not already done so. I believe Lovecraft’s Letters to Rheinhart Kleiner and Others is already out, but I have not received any copies. My three-volume edition of Ambrose Bierce’s collected fiction (a reorganisation of the edition published in hardcover by University of Tennessee Press in 2006) should be out soon. 20 Years of Hippocampus Press, a complete catalogue of every book, magazine, or other item that the press has published, with full tables of contents and commentary by myself and the publisher, should also be out soon. Early next year should see the publication of Arthur Machen’s Autobiographical Writings and the hardcover edition of volume 4 of Lovecraft’s Collected Fiction: A Variorum Edition, this one containing the four stories revised for C. M. Eddy, Jr., and a few other stray items that did not make it into the paperback edition of 2017. Many more items are scheduled for 2021!
    That's from December 2020, so should be fairly soon?

Excited!

My Mood
    Relaxed

Well-spotted! This will rectify that severe wrong of issuing the final (and vital) volume of an important hardcover set- in paperback.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

For Lovecraft collectors who just have to have everything---

Armchair Fiction is publishing a paperback in their MASTERS OF HORROR SERIES called MASTERS OF HORROR, Vol. Two H. P. Lovecraft, the Fully Illustrated Weird Tales Collection

Dig deep in your wallets! It's well over 300 pages and costs a whopping $16.95!

Available from Sinister Cinema
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Apprentice JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM is a jewel in the rough JeremyM's Avatar

Speaking of which: your post prompted me to check back there- it's been awhile- and, was shocked to discover they did a new edition! Combined with sheets from an old privately printed History of the Necronomicon. Uber limited to 16 copies and long gone. That's gonna torture me. Looks gorgeous!

FYI - A dealer has listed one of these copies for sale, though the asking price is steep.

On another note, I was able to track down a copy of 'The Innsmouth Look' recently - which contains the engravings from 'Shadow Over Innsmouth' along with a representative quote from the story, printed on a really nice handmade paper. Some really interesting touches in this, a nice companion piece to the book.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
    Speaking of which: your post prompted me to check back there- it's been awhile- and, was shocked to discover they did a new edition! Combined with sheets from an old privately printed History of the Necronomicon. Uber limited to 16 copies and long gone. That's gonna torture me. Looks gorgeous!

FYI - A dealer has listed one of these copies for sale, though the asking price is steep.

On another note, I was able to track down a copy of 'The Innsmouth Look' recently - which contains the engravings from 'Shadow Over Innsmouth' along with a representative quote from the story, printed on a really nice handmade paper. Some really interesting touches in this, a nice companion piece to the book.
    Congrats on The Innsmouth Look! That's really tough to track down. I don't have it, and probably never will, so appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks for the heads-up on that 2020 edition. Yeah, too rich for me, but I'll tell you what: half the "juice" of this edition (besides the beautiful binding, of course)- is the absolutely fascinating colophon/description in the bookseller's listing. It's got it's own bit of mystery and intrigue and I could read it over and over!:

About this Item
    First printing of this new edition, limited to just 16 copies, 14 of which were for sale. Octavo, 5 x 7.5 inches, bound by Claudia Cohen in quarter black leather over antique Copenhagen marbled paper boards with a leather fore-edge, all tooled in gilt. This book combines two publications: Sixteen sets of unbound extra sheets from Heavenly Monkey's 2005 edition of THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH were found when the bindery closed - these are extras from the Batrachian issue, printed on Mohawk paper by David Clifford at Black Stone Press, Vancouver. The book s original colophon has been removed, and replaced with proofs of Shinsuke Minegishi s wood engravings pulled from the blocks at Heavenly Monkey, February 2020. They are printed on gampi paper made by Reg Lissel. Some years after publishing INNSMOUTH, several dozen copies of a very curious edition of THE HISTORY OF THE NECRONOMICON pamphlet were presented to HM, from the estate of the original printer, with the invitation to put them to some use. The family asked only that the person behind the publication remain anonymous. The exact print run is not known, but as it was done by an amateur printer for distribution to fellow enthusiasts (which the family confirmed), it cannot have been a large number. Apparently some flaw in the printing or text was discovered shortly after its production, and few copies were distributed. This new edition binds up the leftover sheets from the 2005 INNSMOUTH with the NECRONOMICON pamphlet, plus it includes proofs pulled from the wood engravings by Shinsuke Minegishi Based on Drawings by Hieronymus Bosch bound between INNSMOUTH and THE HISTORY. Shinsuke's signature appears under the frontispiece engraving, which folds out to show a map of Innsmouth. The colophon calls for copies to be bound in full leather, but the sheets were sent to the binder at the beginning of March, 2020, just as the world started to close down due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. The leather was unavailable in the quality and quantity required for the 16 copies, but years ago the binder had purchased, in Copenhagen, a small number of decorated papers from (she thinks) the 1930s. She had been saving for the right project, and it proved a perfect accent for Innsmouth, much more evocative and distinct than plain old leather (even in her hands). Thus, the binding is quarter leather with a leather fore-edge, all tooled in gilt. An erratum is inserted behind the colophon, explaining this change. The book is housed in a cloth and matching marbled paper folding solander case with leather spine label titled in gilt.

A Note on THE HISTORY OF THE NECRONOMICON pamphlet. It is not listed in Owings' or Joshi's bibliographies and is, apparently, previously unknown. It was printed with the full original title from the 1937 edition, plus the lines "With New Appendices Examining / Evidence Related to the First Printed Edition." The first appendix is titled "Notice of a Fragment," excerpting a section from "Bibliographical Notes & News" in the April, 1939 edition of The London Mercury (a literary journal published from 1919 to 1939). The excerpt concerns a recently discovered printed fragment reported by the British Library, which might have been from a previously unrecorded Spanish incunable. A facsimile of the fragment (11 incomplete lines of Latin in a gothic type) is included. The second appendix is titled "Commentary on a Notice," and draws some connections between the fragment and Lovecraft's brief (and not entirely accurate) references to the printed editions of the Necronomicon. Both Appendices are unsigned and unattributed. The entire pamphlet is 12 pages, originally issued stapled in self-wraps. There is no indication of when it was produced, but the production (letterpress, all black, no color), and a few references in the text, suggest late 1960s or early 1970s.

My Mood
    Relaxed

[IMG][/IMG]

Oh Boy. I just couldn't help myself. I'll never be able to take pictures good enough to do it justice. There's a bunch in my gallery, here, which I am unsure how to link to.

My Mood
    Relaxed

My Mood
    Relaxed

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, I feel like I should own at least one, Lovecraft 1st edition or limited. I mean he is an iconic author and considered a "Master of Horror", but in truth I never really cared for his work. To be honest, I only read one or two of his books. Maybe I need to give him another shot. Any suggestions? I,m pretty sure I read, "In the Mouth of Madness" or something like that. FWIW, generally speaking I found him a little too "out there" so maybe something a little more grounded? I'm open to another attempt.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    You know, I feel like I should own at least one, Lovecraft 1st edition or limited. I mean he is an iconic author and considered a "Master of Horror", but in truth I never really cared for his work. To be honest, I only read one or two of his books. Maybe I need to give him another shot. Any suggestions? I,m pretty sure I read, "In the Mouth of Madness" or something like that. FWIW, generally speaking I found him a little too "out there" so maybe something a little more grounded? I'm open to another attempt.
    Well, a lot of Lovecraft's work (at least his more popular stories) is concerned with cosmic, existential horror. I'm thinking you read 'At the Mountains of Madness' - if I recall 'In the Mouth of Madness' was the title of a Lovecraft inspired John Carpenter flick. Personally I think 'Shadow Over Innsmouth' is as good as place to start as any for something a little more grounded - though still plenty bizarre and horrifying. The HP Lovecraft literary podcast is also a great resource for getting some historical and literary perspective on Lovecraft's work.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
    Well, a lot of Lovecraft's work (at least his more popular stories) is concerned with cosmic, existential horror. I'm thinking you read 'At the Mountains of Madness' - if I recall 'In the Mouth of Madness' was the title of a Lovecraft inspired John Carpenter flick. Personally I think 'Shadow Over Innsmouth' is as good as place to start as any for something a little more grounded - though still plenty bizarre and horrifying. The HP Lovecraft literary podcast is also a great resource for getting some historical and literary perspective on Lovecraft's work.
    Thanks a bunch, my friend. Would you have the link to that podcast?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Thanks a bunch, my friend. Would you have the link to that podcast?
    Yep - https://hppodcraft.com/ - they've done a ton of episodes, but worth going back and starting at the beginning if you're specifically interested in Lovecraft.

My Mood
    Relaxed

I agree with JeremyM, both about hppodcraft, and, of course, THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH (it's my favorite- see above!). Lovecraft's pretty polarizing, so- I wouldn't feel like you're missing something if you just don't respond to his wordy, often pedantic prose. It's been said that Lovecraft fans usually come to him early on (in teenage years, especially), and then remain fans. Any much later and he seems harder to appreciate. That probably says a lot. And, there's (very roughly) 3 different types of his stories: The earlier Poe influenced twist ending horror stories, the mid period Dreamlands stories, and the latter years Cosmic Horror stories that are what really cements him as an important, unique voice in all of Weird Fiction. AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS is one of the latter- and a great one- but it takes a loooong time to get going. It's downright boring for the entire first third of a very long story. But- the payoff is worth the effort. If that doesn't float your boat, a lot of people prefer the earlier stories like THE HOUND, and THE RATS IN THE WALLS, both classics.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

That is an indescribably eldritch accursed volume!

I like it very much!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    That is an indescribably eldritch accursed volume!

I like it very much!
    Well said. I agree! It's.. Other-Worldly Gorgeous. It's the EXACT kind of volume that this important story in the birth of modern Horror & Weird Fiction, and, indeed- Lovecraft himself- deserved. Especially this particular lovingly-made edition with all of the verisimilitude of mysteriously found pieces and synchronistic elements (see colophon above) that make up what I think is a perfect Lovecraftian book. It's a true gem in form and content.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would also recommend checking out the Alan Moore “Providence” graphic novel series which weaves the events from many of HPL’s stories into a single narrative about a journalist in 1919 investigating a series of strange events.

Highly recommended, even is you’re not a fan of graphic novels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast